University of Kentucky

University of Kentucky Employee Reviews in United States

Clerical duites in an high criticla setting
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 27, 2016
This is a fast past working environment and on some occasions it can be slow. Management and co-workers very strict ad uptight in this environment. The hardest part of the job was working the 12 hour shifts when the unit was quite, the enjoyable part of the job was the patients you really got to interact with. A typical day was a 12 hour sift of helping nurses and patients, I learned that not all the tie is it about self, you have to put others before your self sometimes and that is ok.
Pros
3 daysa week working
Cons
shirt breaks, not laot of vacation given, not really family orentaited whenit come to sick kids
Fast paced department
Samaritan Hospital, Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 13, 2016
When arriving at the hospital, the work is immediate and consumes the entire time you are there. Requires to be focused at all times and great attention to detail is paramount. Sometimes it is so busy that management has to pitch in to get the work done. Everyone has a common goal: to provide sterile equipment as fast as possible with complete accuracy.
Lots of learning opportunities
Building Operator II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 4, 2016
I learned various preventive maintenance skills. I was provided with the best tools to complete repairs and daily tasks. My co-workers were available if I experienced a problem I couldn't tackle alone. Management staff was on hand daily. Our supervisor jumped in and helped. The hardest part of the job was when pipes burst and left huge messy situations. The most enjoyable part was knowing I was providing a service which made other staff comfortable and safe in their daily jobs.
Pros
Team work, lots of moral building activities.
Cons
Really old equipment with hard to reach spaces.
Productive and fun place!
Part - Time Arabic Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 19, 2015
I had the chance to work at the university of Kentucky for one semester. At university I met people from a variety of countries and with a multitude of faiths and cultures. I learned that these interactions can really enrich your experience and outlook on life. The more you interact with people, the more you will begin to develop a broader perspective of the world and become more understanding.
Loved the patients
State Registered Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 20, 2016
Patient care practices weren't informed by best care practices, principles or ethics; they were informed by the Director of Nursing's ego (this individual, to me, seemed more of a politician). This is only one person's perspective, but I thought important to share
excellent communications department
Adjunct, graduate journalism & communications (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 13, 2016
Adjunct, graduate journalism & communications. Excellent progam with focus on small classrooms. Only setback was the number of studios for projects.
Pros
classroom freedom
Cons
limited classes available
Great place to work, Management was always good.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 2, 2016
I worked for the University of Kentucky Student Computing Services for 5 years, I loved the job. They worked my schedule around my classes and my managers always took care of me if I had an issue.
Very good place to work if you like academic setting
Staff Associate II (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 22, 2015
As an administrative assistant to a number of surgeons, plastic and dermatology, work is busy and mostly fulfilling. The University is a rapidly evolving entity. Occasionally it is difficult to keep up with new rules and regulations as they change on a regular basis. Co-workers are great and team work is the key.
benefits
Cons
advancing is difficult for staff
School related experience
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 5, 2016
So far all of my professional experience with UK has been through volunteer activities while I was a student. I can't complain, I chose to be part of those activities and I enjoyed them.
teaching benefits teachers
Graduate research assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 14, 2016
Working as a graduate teaching assistant in University of Kentucky makes me know that teaching benefits teachers as well as students.
Good people to work with on a daily basis
Staff Support Associate II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 23, 2015
I enjoyed my time at the University, I felt that during my 15 years there I developed many friendships that still continue as well as matured and learned valuable information for both work and personal.
Pros
Advancement opportunities and continuing education
Cons
The process in which I was laid off
No comment
CAD Operator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 12, 2015
Lack of communication with management. Management needs to communicate more across all levels downwards all the way to the bottom level and find out what's bothering employees who are doing most of the work anyway, and help come up with solutions.
Good Place to work as a graduate student
Statistical Consultant & Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 27, 2016
Good Place to work as a graduate student, work/life balance is good.
Hope the compenmsation can be better. Management is fair.
UK Summary
Administrative Support II (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 30, 2015
Fun and very diverse place to work; The most enjoyable part of the job are the students; salary pretty good and learned a lot. Can take training for the most part whenever and on many subjects. Great place to work.
Pros
Diverse
Cons
Pay should be a little better
Fast paced environment and always different never boring
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 23, 2015
When you went in to work is was always unexpected. Something different would happen everyday. This is definitely a job that is fast paced and keeps you on your toes.
Pros
Exciting and great people to work with
Cons
Can be a major safety hazard and a lot of overtime
Great Workplace with Excellent Benefits
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 21, 2015
In my most recent role, a typical day of work included interviewing patients to schedule surgery, in which I had to review and confirm any medical issues, confirm demographics and insurance, schedule any additional consults or testing needed, obtain additional records required, authorize and precertify surgery with insurance company, and balance and manage the doctor's surgery schedule. I believe my strengths were my organization and detail-oriented skills, and my patient relations and resolving patient issues. Sometimes the job could get monotonous, but I did enjoy meeting with patients and collaborating with my co-workers in order to reach the same goals in patient care. In my years in this office, I was able to learn a variety of skills and serve in many different roles.
Pros
Great benefits, holidays, close to home, great coworkers, decent pay scale
Cons
High stress at times, monotonous at times
work enviroment
Customer Access Associate Senior (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 30, 2015
The primary responsibilities of the Customer Access Senior, for the UK HealthCare Patient Access Call Center include: resolution of escalated Patient Access problems; hire, train, coach and supervise Customer Access Associates; monitor work groups performance, as well as volumes, productivity, audits and accuracy reports; commitment to excellent customer service; process standardization activities of workflow and efficiency improvements; ensure compliance with University, federal, state, and local regulations.
Great Learning experience
RN (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 24, 2015
This position is a great learning experience, especially for new graduates. I learned a lot about cardiac patients and transplants. This is not a good job for me because of the work/home balance.
Pros
ability to make your own schedule
Cons
not being able to take breaks/lunches, working long days and not being able to see my family
Great University
Instructor in the Department of Communication (Former Employee) –  Department of CommunicationOctober 19, 2015
University of Kentucky is great institution. The culture is focused on promoting student education while simultaneously having one of the best research environments in the country.
Excellent work enviroment.
Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 3, 2015
Flexible working hours with helpful co-workers. Large group of people are working together but the individual effort is given due recognition.
Pros
Can work iindependently even in a structured enviroment
Cons
Less exposure to industry

4.3