University of Kentucky

University of Kentucky Employee Reviews

very straightforward job
Telephone Operator & Emergency Paging Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 12, 2016
The job is primarily answering calls and directing callers to the departments or people they're looking for but the emergency paging service can be stressful. You can literally lose someone their life by not acting quickly enough on paging (I've seen it happen and that girl lost her job for it) so it's definitely important to keep a cool head and react fast.
Pros
consistent hours, good work flow, regular breaks
Cons
no opportunity for advancement, only hiring in temp positions, no benefits
Great place to work - best doctors and nurses anywhere
Patient Relations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 18, 2017
My day begins at 7:00 a.m. as I register/greet patients for their scans/doctor visits/etc. We are a VERY busy clinic, and we usually register about 125 patients per day. I am responsible for verifying that every patient's information is correct in our system. Therefore, I spend a lot of time entering/correcting/updating information. Most of my day is spent behind a computer.
Pros
Great benefits, great co-workers, great hours
Cons
Work uniform; low salary
fair pay, no stress
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 29, 2017
I love working for the university, great benefits but no incentives. I dont know how much longer I can take working here because, lets be honest, I am really really bored and want more excitement in my life beside working in an office all day.plus, I love to move, walk, and talk, Im very energetic and will probably explode if I cant talk to people, help people, and walk with people.
Pros
no stress
Cons
bored to tears
University of Kentucky
Admin Staff Officer II/College Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 17, 2017
UK is a great place to work, the benefits are wonderful. I have learned a lot during my 16.5 years at UK and have been promoted many times. The culture at a University is quit a bit different than the culture at a private company.
Library Technician
Library Technician and Senior Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 26, 2017
The University of Kentucky was a great place to work, provided adequate benefits including special benefits for staff, such as gym membership and discounts at local businesses. Highly recommended.
Great place to work, great benefits. Must pay for parking in most cases.
Patient Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 13, 2016
Great place to work, great benefits. Must pay for parking in most cases. Lots of opportunities, and lots of competition make for a more fulfilling accomplishment when achieving upward mobility within the institution.
Great organization with community impact
Super Star Chef Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 14, 2016
I was very fortunate to work with the University of Kentucky. Their impact in the state of Kentucky is monumental. UK is Kentucky largest employer and offers amazing employee benefits.
Interesting work culture
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 2, 2016
The management: needs to be transparent and culturally competent. They pride themselves on competency but it isn't shown in the day to day operations or university workforce representation. The supervisor in our department treats subordinates as puppets. If you agree and ascribe to group think, you'll be okay but otherwise look out! Most hiring is done internally.

Parking: needs to be improved. one of the few places where you have to pay for parking and hunt for a parking space for 15-30 minutes on a given day.

Salary: there are some salary gaps between similar positions in different departments on campus
benefits
Cons
parking, salary, cultural competence, good ol' boy system
Work place enviorment
Nursing care tech/phlebotomy (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 1, 2016
This company is not a good place to work for if your looking to advance in your career. the management says they have a open door policy, but when problems are brought to their attention they fire you. Or even worst put the blame on you.
Pros
its a teaching hospital
Cons
if your not a student you get no support
Ever-changing and community based environment
Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 21, 2017
Each day is a new adventure in higher education. I have learned about the workplace culture, working with numerous entities and a team to complete tasks, media relations, writing and social media management.
Excellent place to work
Staff Support Associate II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 13, 2016
University of Kentucky was a great place to work and I developed skills that are valuable in my daily interaction with the general public. I found the environment to be rewarding, encouraging and friendly. The benefits of working at UK are like few others. I still enjoy friendships that I made while in their employ,
Pros
Benefits, co-workers
Cons
Parking
Loved it!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  UK College of Law BuildiingJanuary 7, 2017
Most fun I ever had in my life...management was fantastic. Learned a lot about book writing and publishing, classes offered and available. Loved my co-workers. This job was so pleasant and the environment was so pleasant there wasn't anything I considered to be a hard part of the job, I very much enjoyed it.
Pros
All Good
Cons
Good paying job but inefficient management
Housing Department- Fixit Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 11, 2017
Good paying job, easy job even though EXTREMELY stressful at times, laid back job for the most part.
Inefficient work environment, most times was unorganized, inefficient management, and unenjoyable coworkers/environment.
The Patient Access Center is a terrible place to work!
Customer Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, Ky Sterlington DriveJuly 22, 2016
The Patient Access Center has policies that are very different from other departments at UK. You can expect to get written up if you forget to clock in/out or if you sign in to the phone system one minute late. This is a very hostile work environment. The employees are afraid to say anything to anyone for fear it will end up costing them their job. This is a call center environment with very poor upper management making extremely unprofessional desisions causing high employee turnover. Other areas in the UK system can be great places to work but let this be a warning about the Patient Access Center near Alumni Drive in Lexington. I'm very surprised that Human Resources hasn't stepped in to do something about this.
Pros
Great Retirement Plan
Cons
Too many to list here.
University of Kentucky is a great place for students
President of UK AIChE (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 10, 2017
University of Kentucky is a great place to be a student. It has a wonderful and supportive community with plenty of opportunities for students. It also provides a multitude of academic support from recitations taught by Teaching Assistant to free tutoring.
Great
Wildcat Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 10, 2017
Worked recruiting events on and off campus for the University of Kentucky.
• Worked University of Kentucky Football games in the President’s tent and welcome alumni and VIP to the game.
• Worked for the Visitor Center call center and their “live chat” to call potential students and assist their needs
Pros
Great help
We are spending money for things we do not need.
BOTANY INTERN (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 4, 2017
UK is constantly under construction and they slip fees into student tuition to pay for the construction of buildings that most students will never even enter because by the time the construction is complete, the student has almost graduated already.
Very good university and great CME department.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 21, 2017
Very research oriented department of chemical and materials engineering with great exposure to all the latest technologies. Nice campus. Almost inside the city. Great weather. Good facilities.
Great place to work to gain experience
Public Relations Intern (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KY 40508March 8, 2017
At University of Kentucky PR & Marketing, I wrote press releases and attended video shoots and interviews. It is a great place to earn experience for entering the public relations field.
good place to work
programmer (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KY 40506February 7, 2017
good place to work.
I really dont have more to add than that.
I only worked for the one person and did not tour the campus.
So now I must make up many words to meet the minimum.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kentucky. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3