University of Kentucky Employee Reviews

nice environment to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Jabez, KYJuly 31, 2017
Nice location, but manager of department required to live on site, which was not possible for me as I have a family, etc., so could not advance because of this stipulation.
beware
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  800 rose st lexington ky 40504July 26, 2017
Uk offers nice benefits. most employees are stress from pressures from management and being over-worked.It usually takes a while for the hiring process to end.
no communication
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 25, 2017
very stressful place to work. communication sucks, you find out an hour before the end of your shift you need to stay for an outage that may last 3-8 hours. then you are expected to come in the next day regardless. not a very safe place to work, needle sticks from bags, and exposure to blood.
Pros
benifits
Cons
no room to advance, everyone is payed the same.
great place to work although i was extremely fortunate
institutional research/survey coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 25, 2017
Mostly a great atmosphere depending on the supervisors. Working at a university affords the opportunity to interact with students occasionally. I graduated from the University of Kentucky so I loved being on campus.
Pros
fairly flexible, benefits
Cons
too much red tape; slow on getting things done
Typical University
Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 24, 2017
I found UKY to be a typical university. There is a lot of bureaucracy. I didn't feel appreciated by the university or even within my department. My boss was not interested in the employees as much as the boss's own research and writing aspirations. I also didn't like having to sit through long staff meetings that lacked leadership and resulted in no action. Even when action plans were made, they were rarely ever followed up on. The work environment was very much everyone for himself/herself. Relationships seemed disingenuous.
Pros
Able to work from home at times
Cons
Not stable and the management didn't care whether jobs continued or not
Great Place to work at
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 24, 2017
It is a very relaxing environment to work in. Great respect for diversity and differences. I appreciate the opportunities to advance and pursue bigger goals.
Composition
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 21, 2017
Taught two composition classes and a creative writing classes. Decent work environment considering all the cuts. But still could be managed better and more efficiently especially from a financial perspective.
Great summer job
Summer Intern Cooperative Extension (Former Employee) –  Brandenburg, KYJuly 20, 2017
Loved working as an extension intern
I learned a great deal about community nutrition, food preservation, food safety, and community health
Would recommend to any nutrition student
uk
House keeper, Floor Tech, Security, CNA (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 15, 2017
technical schools as well as at a few hospitals and nursing homes.

After you’ve graduated from your CNA program, you will need to sit for an exam proving your competency. Only after you have successfully passed this exam are you listed in the state registry as a certified nursing assistant. Different states have different criteria that you will need to meet before you can practice in that state. It is important to find out what exactly is needed to become a certified nursing assistant from the state board of nursing in that particular state.

Salary
Good place to work with great benefits
Computer Support Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  May, KYJuly 12, 2017
UK is a good place to work. You are surrounded by a host of amazing people and the benefits are definitely top notch. I have been truly blessed to work here as long as I have.

Want to know more about University of Kentucky?

Ask a question
Good place to be a teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 7, 2017
Engaging with many opportunities to learn. At the same time, it is pretty laid back. I usually get to walk around and help students out with whatever problems they are having. If I can't help them, there is pretty much always another TA who can go and help.
Boring
HR Informatics Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 6, 2017
Going in I was excited, but it quickly turned very boring. The people are nice, but kind of hard to get along with. A lot of friendships are already formed and its hard to get in.
Easy-going and relaxed place to work!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 6, 2017
Very manageable job - would recommend to many people. Lots of downtime so make sure you know how to entertain yourself. Electronic usage policies can be a little strict so bare that in mind before signing on.
Could be better
Technician (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 27, 2017
The workplace culture in the department that I am from consists of little camaraderie and less variation in the day-to-day activities and duties afforded to the average position.

UK can be a great place to work, as I understand it, but my experience there has been less than pleasant. I have been patiently trying to make things work there for over a year, as well as seeking other opportunities within a rather broad field relating to my current profession, but to no avail.

Also, if you are considering working there, beware the STEPS positions. UK has a secret notoriety for keeping people in these "temporary" positions for 1, 2, even 6 or 7 - yes, I said 6 or 7 - YEARS. I myself have been a member of STEPS for 13 months now, and can wait around no longer for someone to stop squatting on a position and move up or move out.
Excellent benefits and pay
Registered Nurse/Dialysis/Cardiac (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 27, 2017
Face paced working environment. Excellent place to work if going to school. Benefits are great. Can be understaffed at times. Each floor or can be very different so if you find yourself in an area you don't like it is easy to change to a different area that suits your needs better.
Pros
Beneftis
Cons
Work/life - too many meetings. Understaffed
Haley Miller attitude was ridiculous and unprofessional ,she took pictures of wounds on my nephews arm when he tried to kill himself.
SRNA (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 24, 2017
My nephew came in with extreme suicidal issues,he split his arm causing a surgeon to come in and repair, Haley Miller took pictures although she didn't think I noticed extreme Hippa violation,very unprofessional and her mannerism was not what I expected to see when my love one was at their weakness
Pros
My nephew lived
Cons
Not fair to
loved working here
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 23, 2017
Grad stipends can be hard to live on. health insurance is nice but hard if living out of town because cannot find in network provider. Teaching can be a struggle. Undergrads just want As and minimal work/.
Friendly working place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gatton Business schoolJune 21, 2017
As PhD student, I was TA and main instructor of senior business minor students of the Course of Management Information System for 4 years, my supervisor taught me a lot and the department gave courses to train me how to teach the undergraduate students, which let me successfully handled all the problems arose during the semesters.
Pros
always learn some new things from the students
Cons
be looked down by students as an international female PhD student
Great place to learn
MACHINIST (Current Employee) –  May, KYJune 19, 2017
I worked under a master machinist to better learn how machinery worked so I would have a better understanding upon entering the work force. With his help I've grown as an engineer both in understanding how things work, but also how the tools to create things work. The time in the shop has helped grow my ability to communicate with not only other engineers but also machinist and will benefit me upon entering the work force.
Fun and educational experience
Part-Time Faculty (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 16, 2017
I learned something about higher education on a daily basis. Professors were very helpful in offering advice on any questions as well as their experience during teaching.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kentucky. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2