University of Kentucky Employee Reviews

Research Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJanuary 13, 2015
Great place to work, it's just I had such a long commute. I really enjoyed completing the budgets for Medicaid participants choosing to live in their own homes needs private in home care.
Pros
Good benefits with raises
Cons
long commute
Versatile hours
Night Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 1, 2015
This job allowed me to accept or decline shifts as I needed to, in order to best fit my college schedule. Working at night gave me the possibility to do homework without distraction, as well as have the chance to meet and get to know residence of my dorm. Since I worked night hours, having the ability to wear my PJ's to work was a great experience. I also really loved the fact that my job was right down stairs, all in all, this job was extremely enjoyable to work and very convenient.
Pros
Versatile hours
Cons
Employees were required to accept a pay advancement each semester.
Quiet lab setting with constant schedule
Researcher's assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington KYSeptember 1, 2014
On a typical day at work I usually sot through samples mix sample to prepare for planting and testing. I learn what goes into research experiments. I also learn a lot about what the research is about. Such as why its being done, what is it for, and how will this help the people. I have worked with co-workers and we get along we even hang out outside work. The hardest part of working in research is staying focused after hours of monotonous labor. It's always good to see the big picture, and realize the purpose of the research. The most enjoyable part of the job is the independence that I have. I work hard and my boss trusts that I will get the job complete in a timely matter.
Pros
Independance, stay busy
Cons
may work alone or with co-workers, monotonous tasks
Ok place.
Lab Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 7, 2015
My biggest gripe is with management. They seem to be quite incompetent. This is not universal, I am sure. DLAR seems to be swamped with inefficiency.
Pros
UK sponsored activites offered free food and gifts. 6 credit hours per semester if you were fulltime, just had to pay for books. Plenty of attractive ladies on campus!
Cons
Managerial ineptitude.
Temping for U.K.
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 22, 2014
Temping for U.K. has it's pros and cons. U.K. is all about who you know and often times qualified applicants are overlooked. I learned a significant amount about how U.K. operates internally. The hardest part of this job was the toll it took on my family, I had no sick time, no paid time off, no vacation time, I was expected to work, like a robot, and never take time off for them. The pay was less than stellar, my co-workers were wonderful hard working people. The building we were in was old with yellow drinking water, I was worked like a horse with very little compensation and no benefits. Would not recommend temping with U.K.
Cons
no health care, no paid sick time, no vacation time, no paid holidays, had to pay for parking just to get to work.
Good University
Scientist III, Principal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 28, 2015
The research teams in the Department of Plant and Soil Sciences are wonderful to work with. The Department has a very healthy corporate culture and practices what they preach.
Great place to work, job security no longer there!
Technical Project Specialist II/HIM (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 28, 2012
Job security was no longer there or I would have never left! Excellent working environment. Great colleagues.
Pros
everything was great about it!!!! benefits were amazing
Cons
job security!
Overall UK is a good place to work.
Staff Support Associate II NEP Office (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 8, 2015
The benefits at UK are very good. The work environment is very team orientated. The best part of the job is that I can work independently, however when needed I am always willing to step in to help co-workers, as well co-workers do the same.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
very low pay scale for experience
Excellent place to work with job/life balance
Assistant Director of Student Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  LexingtonApril 22, 2015
I have worked at UK for over 14 years in particular in financial aid administration. The most enjoyable part of my is that I enjoy helping families with locating funding to assist them with their higher education expenses. The most hardest part of the job is that you are not always able to help all students that you meet.
Pros
Benefits are great!
Cons
Low pay
Excellent pay, benefits and mission
Administrative Assistant to the Chief (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KentuckyJuly 26, 2015
I appreciate and admire the work we do at UK Healthcare. Pay, days off and retirement are excellent benefits. Working with great people is also an excellent benefit.
n
Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 10, 2015
n None none none none none none I have have nothing to say and I have great place to work the work is good the people are very nice nice nice
UK's PA program prepared me for life after grad school
Physician Assistant Rotations (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 2, 2015
I enjoyed my time at UK but am excited to start my new career. I met some pretty great people. My professors were dedicated and always there to help
Pros
dedicated professors, great resources
Cons
disorganized
Great people
Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 4, 2015
Benefits are awesome, pay is above average, and time off is more than adequate. Co-workers are all great. UK allows you to go to several trainings to advance your knowledge.
Great place to dive into research
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 12, 2012
Great place to dive into research. Whether it be browsing scholarly articles, measuring samples or running an experiment, I found enjoyment out of it all. I was able to broaden my knowledge of supercritical fluid extraction and the amazing compounds found in plant matter. Management was good and I was allowed adequate time to complete my other studies. The hardest part was composing a final report summarizing my findings, but it wasn't too much of an ordeal and I learned a lot in the process of making it.
They were very kind to their employees and treated us fairly.
Patient Relation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 22, 2012
Liked worked with the people and staff. Learned more about computers. Management and staff were great to work with. The hardest part of job was having to wait on the phone for health insurance companies to approve coverage for treatment, but it is a necessity. Meeting doctors from different parts of the U.S. and different parts of the world and working with the patients was great.
Pros
felt good going to work.
Cons
the problems that so many people go through, makes me appreciate what i have.
Good Job Not So Good Supervisor (4H Agent)
Former Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence County KYJune 12, 2015
Loved the job and the variety of doing different things was great. Loved working with clients and their clubs. Some problems with a rude agent and area supervisor.
Pros
Time off and five day work week.
Cons
Salary. Increases were not comparable to cost of living.
Learned a lot, good place for student to work.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 10, 2014
This job was a great job to have in the beginning of my college career. It had flexible hours and I learned a great deal about lab procedures such as PCR, gel electrophoresis, DNA extraction, etc. I was surrounded by graduate students, which also taught me a lot. Some days at work I did very interesting things such as what I described above, but other days I would be collecting seeds or cleaning plant chambers. But overall this was a great job with great experience.
work enviroment
Customer Access Associate Senior (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 30, 2015
The primary responsibilities of the Customer Access Senior, for the UK HealthCare Patient Access Call Center include: resolution of escalated Patient Access problems; hire, train, coach and supervise Customer Access Associates; monitor work groups performance, as well as volumes, productivity, audits and accuracy reports; commitment to excellent customer service; process standardization activities of workflow and efficiency improvements; ensure compliance with University, federal, state, and local regulations.
Was a good experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 13, 2015
Research assistantship to do full time research is great. The school of agriculture is huge and is well equipped and has large faculty pool doing quality research.
Pros
Excellent place to do plant research
Cons
Teaching experience is scarce/non-existant
Exciting Opportunity for Students
Special Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 17, 2012
I worked at the University of Kentucky while I was a student there as well. Co-workers and management were great and respectful at almost all times and were open to suggestions of improvement.

As a student worker, I received minimum wage, however the hours were extremely flexible to accommodate hectic class schedules. With all things taken into account, it was a great place to work while finishing my degree.
Pros
flexible hours, open door policy, respectful and fun
Cons
minimum wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kentucky. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3