University of Kentucky

University of Kentucky Employee Reviews

Pretty Nice
Patient Relations Assistant III (Current Employee), Lexington, KYJuly 14, 2014
Will write later, I need to go to work now. It's very nice working here, I have learned alot.
Friendly people, pleasant atmosphere, great work life balance, with educational opportunites.
Laboratory Technician Senior (Former Employee), Lexington, KYJuly 9, 2014
Pros: people, environment, work atmosphere, work life balance, educational opportunities
Cons: annual days sunshine, outdoor activities, such as hiking and biking
Working with friendly people, in an easy going environment, with a pleasant work atmosphere makes for great work life balance in the heart of Kentucky horse country.
Graduate School
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Lexington, KyJuly 5, 2014
Good professors, reasonable expectations. Teaching assistant duties and tutoring were time consuming but well worth it.
Very kind people
Clinical Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Lexington, KYJuly 5, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: internship doesn't pay
Most everyone was a consummate professional and spoke kindly even under duress. Hardest part of the job was simply that UK is a very large hospital and one could easily get lost until they learned their way around.
Productive competitive and fun place to work at
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Lexington, KYJuly 4, 2014
A typical work day contains several lectures and then office hours. Time is flexible and coworkers are extremely nice.Le
good school
reseracher (Former Employee), lexington, kyJune 25, 2014
research hours are given to sr students that need extra hours to graduate - normally someone will let you work in their department
Productive solid state physics lab
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Lexington, KYJune 24, 2014
Research base lab on Carbon base materials
Study the elctrical properties of 2D materials
Carbon Nano Tybe synthesis
Structured program for graduate students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Lexington, KYJune 10, 2014
Pros: practice organic chemistry!
Cons: clean up organic chemistry labs.
Organic Chemistry recitation section is one hour before labs, at 1 PM; so I arrive 45 minutes before the students arrive to make sure all materials are laid out. Any reagents that need to be made, I do at that time, or it has already been made at an earlier date, by me, prior to the lab date. All the TAs rotate who teaches the recitation section prior to convening in the lab.

I learned that having a firm structure can make instructing the labs a facile experience. The recitation teaching materials were already created by our lab coordinator. As TAs we just pretty much follow the PowerPoints. The quizzes were created by our lab coordinator also, so our only outside job requirements were to grade the labs and quizzes. There's no need to re-invent the wheel here.

I really enjoyed working with my fellow TAs. They were very thoughtful and gave a rookie like me great advice to instructing the labs.

The hardest part of the job is grading the lab reports. They can be pretty long and overly detail oriented. All the TAs met with our coordinator once a week to go over how the labs would be graded, and I found the meeting necessary to figure out what needs to be spelled out in a lab report.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting paid. When you are on your feet for four hours, you want the remuneration.
Challenging job, good workers, good benefits
Computer Technician (Current Employee), Lexington, KYJune 6, 2014
Challenging job, good workers, good benefits, and great learning experiences.
Easy job.
Night desk clerk (Former Employee), Lexington, KYMay 27, 2014
Mostly, this time was spent making sure that no unauthorized visitors would come into the buildings and to make certain that everyone was safe. Also there was a lot of log keeping of residents who had been coming and going.
Great
Research Assistant/ Endoscopy (Former Employee), Lexington, KYMay 25, 2014
Great opportunities for advancement within each department. Co-workers had great skill sets and knowledge that assisted in everyday operations.
Study is Fun
Student (Current Employee), Lexington, KYMay 21, 2014
Professors are really helpful and friendly. Projects are the best learning aspect of the studying.
School is excellent
Data Coordinator, Senior (Former Employee), Lexington, KYMay 7, 2014
I enjoyed the large corporation but unfortunately I was in a group with a supervisor that didn't know what she was doing and had no people skills it was a very difficult situation
Independent and varied work environment
CNTC Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Lexington, KYApril 29, 2014
Pros: flexible work hours and a team-based environment
Cons: potentially long and irregular hours
I enjoyed my time at the University of Kentucky as a postdoctoral researcher. My typically day started around 9 am and lasted until at least 5 pm depending on my plan for the day. Activities included scientific literature review, experimental planning and execution, project meetings, and scientific manuscript preparation. I worked closely with my advisers (managers) and participated in regularly scheduled meetings to ensure steady progress. The hardest part of the job was dividing time between two independent labs and the most enjoyable part was seeing my work pay off in the end as published scientific manuscripts.
Student Affairs = A Supportive Environment
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Vice President of Student Affairs OfficeApril 29, 2014
My experience as a student assistant in the Vice President of Student Affairs office has been very enjoyable. The culture of the department is welcoming and supportive of student effort and the opportunity to serve the office in a variety of roles has been beneficial to my future career as an educator.
Great place to work. Love the people
Administrative Support Associate I (Former Employee), Lexington, KYApril 24, 2014
Pros: love the hours and the independence
working at SCoBIRC was a sure pleasure. We have grown as a family and worked really well as a team.
Temping for U.K.
Clerical (Current Employee), Lexington, KYApril 22, 2014
Cons: no health care, no paid sick time, no vacation time, no paid holidays, had to pay for parking just to get to work.
Temping for U.K. has it's pros and cons. U.K. is all about who you know and often times qualified applicants are overlooked. I learned a significant amount about how U.K. operates internally. The hardest part of this job was the toll it took on my family, I had no sick time, no paid time off, no vacation time, I was expected to work, like a robot, and never take time off for them. The pay was less than stellar, my co-workers were wonderful hard working people. The building we were in was old with yellow drinking water, I was worked like a horse with very little compensation and no benefits. Would not recommend temping with U.K.
Fast paced, interesting, stressfull but rewarding.
Senior Research Associate (Former Employee), Lexington, KYApril 21, 2014
Pros: learned new tests.
Cons: had to figure most our on my own.
Interesting job, new area of expertise. Fast paced, sacrificed many mice, always trying to get data for publications. Most of the people were fun to associate with, all hardworking. Management was odd and you had to be thick skinned to withstand the snide comments. Still have many as friends from there though. Hardest part was killing the mice. The most enjoyable was finding something new. Good place to work.
Great university, fun place to work!
Administrative Staff Officer II (Current Employee), Lexington, KYApril 17, 2014
Pros: free college classes, great benefits
Cons: opportunities for advancement into upper-level management
The University of Kentucky is a great place to work and learn. I started my career at the University as a payroll clerk in the College of Medicine's department of Radiation Medicine and quickly advanced to an accounts payable clerk in Hospital Accounting. After a year, I was promoted to a business officer (Administrative Staff Officer I) in the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources and am responsible for managing the main business office with 5 direct reports, oversee payroll, develop the operating budgets for two service centers and am responsible for developing the animal per diem rates for the University. I was again promoted to an Administrative Staff Officer II in November 2010, which requires an increased role in analytical/statistical reporting, contract negotiations and operations management. The University of Kentucky is nationally known for its highly successful basketball program and has some of the most exciting personalities in sports. The greatest thing I learned about UK is the exciting research that takes place that will benefit the world.
UK
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Center, KYApril 8, 2014
Pros: great feeling of satisfaction
Cons: long hours, staff shortage
University of Ky. is the most awesome place to be employed , because they push you to better yourself and have programs so that you can get an education and achieve your goals.

A typical day consist of seeing ob/gyn patients and assisting doctors with any procedures. Making follow up phone calls and reviewing lab results, precertification's.