University of Maine Employee Reviews in United States

This was a great work experience
Paid internship through University (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEFebruary 1, 2016
Was a great learning experience for me. Got heavily involved in landscape design, plant propigation, and greenhouse management.
Pros
relaxed but intensive work enviroment
Great environment to obtain research experience through summer work.
Student Research Assistant V (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 8, 2013
This position was a part of the research experience for undergraduates (REU) program through the Forest Bioproducts Research Institute (FBRI) at the University of Maine. I was able to accomplish a great deal of experimental work that was used for the completion of my thesis. I spent my time analyzing bio-oils obtained through pyrolysis of wood biomass. I performed accelerated aging on samples, as well as fractionation, and performed analysis using NMR spectroscopy and GPC. The REU program provided an environment which allowed for the interaction of students of similar disciplines from many different backgrounds.
Pros
independence with regards to performing research
Cons
low compensation
good job but my maintenance &mechanical system experience is limited due to the job title
Buildings & Grounds Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEAugust 7, 2012
Janitorial duties such as cleaning and maintaining building sanitary conditions. Maintaining floors such as carpets,tiled and wooden. Annual stripping of tile floor finishes, then sealing and refinishing.
Communicating with management regarding work assignments to accomplish work tasks and follow up any concerns.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low pay
CA job not so great
Dining services (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 13, 2013
Working in dining services is to have to listen all day to other employees put each other down and rat each other out to management. This behavior is encouraged by the way management responds. The atmosphere is pretty toxic. I have even seen management openly pit employees against each other. The benefits are OK if you do not mind being coereced into having a "life coach" and being told how to live your life outside of work. I've worked at colleges before and they are usually very cool, inspiring places to work. This campus is a real oppressive republican sort of mentality that does not encourage free thinking or comaraderie- oh and considers putting plain tap water in your mug for the ride home to be stealing (if you aren't management). Also, yes, they have paid sick days, but don't even try to use even one of them unless you are ready to deal with being accused of lying. Also, if you have an important family event to go to, dont think you can swap a day with another coworker. It's not allowed. You work the days you are scheduled. period. Management wont allow anything that makes sense and helps everyone. Loyalty and cooperation is a one way street here. The good reviews I read look to be from students working on summer jobs.
Pros
almost a livable wage, summers off, some health benefits
Cons
very unpleasant dog eat dog atmosphere
Fun and exciting place to work
Presque Isle Library Aide/Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MESeptember 9, 2015
Maintained and organized books, files, periodicals, magazines and newspapers
Maintained clean and adequate amount of dishes, drink ware and utensils for students, faculty and guests.
Pros
everyday was fun
Good place to work.
Front of House Manager (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJuly 18, 2012
I learned all aspects of Food Service while working for the University of Maine for 24 years.
Pros
good work enviroment, good pay and benefits.
Cons
none.
Great team spirit and .work envronment
Instructor, Adult Education (Former Employee) –  Houlton, MEAugust 7, 2015
Many Challenging Opportunities. Great team environment! They make a great product and are creating many new ones.

I was given great flexibility to create a new product and patent.
Lab Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJuly 2, 2015
It was a pleasure to be a LA last summer in micromechanics lab at university of maine. I have helped graduate students for their research project by not only placing and testing the specimens, but also generate new algorithms to support their analysis.
Lifelong experience gained
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEApril 18, 2012
My day to day involved reviewing daily work orders, data entry and management of the tradesmans duties. I worked with the tradesman over the radio and in office. My other duties involved working with the administrative assistant as well as the director of the physical plant, assisting them when needed and replacing the admin assistant on her days away. I also managed the vendors who came to campus. I found it difficult to manage when I bounced between so many jobs, but the reward was the success and recognition I received at the end of the work study program. The friends I made have been lifelong and experience here has shaped the person I am today
Pros
great work environment, many learning opportunities
Cons
no option to stay on past the work study program
Fun and productive University.
Histology Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orono, MAineJune 9, 2015
This is not a workplace, this is where I attended college, and played division 1 sports and maintained a 3.6 GPA in Biology Pre MED. I worked as a Histolgy Assistant part time.

Want to know more about University of Maine?

Ask a question
Disorganized and underfunded university
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEFebruary 13, 2015
Completely disorganized, executive leadership has high turnover rate so don't expect the same policies to be in action for more than 2 years. Getting better I guess, but still operating at the whim of the government. Faculty are completely overloaded with courses.
Excellence
Student Research Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 12, 2015
UMaine covered it all! Early mornings, late nights, and overnights. From constructing lilypad traps to handling wood frogs, fish, and grouse it was all covered working with a variety of graduate students. The most enjoyable part of these jobs were working in the great outdoors. The hardest part of these jobs was graduating with B.S in Wildlife Ecology and no longer being a part of them.
Pros
opertunity to learn new skills and learning to harass them
Cons
department funding
Flagship state university
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEApril 6, 2015
There is tremendous autonomy for faculty — and excellent opportunities for professional development. It's best to be prepared to teach on-line, as that is the direction of higher education.
Very productive and a fun work place with great people.
The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMay 16, 2013
A typical day at work is very productive and fun. All my co-workers are great at communicating with each other and helping one another when it comes to meeting deadlines for up coming events. The most enjoyable part of my job would be organizing events and educating the university community about all different cultures and help bring awareness to social justice.
It is good for a school job
Student Food Server (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJune 1, 2014
The reason I worked here was because I was in school and needed to earn extra cash after class. It was a very good choice for a student, since they liked to hire students over outside help. When it came to needing more time off to prepare for a test, they were very willing to work with you.
Pros
free lunches after working a certain amount of hours, a fun working environment
Cons
not a lot of advencement oppurtunity.
Accounts Receivable Tech (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEFebruary 23, 2015
I really liked this job, the people there were really nice and helped me with every question I had. It was only a temp job so I didn't stay but I would have if I could!
Research Scientist
Instructor, Adult Education (Former Employee) –  Houlton, MEOctober 24, 2014
Excellent and dynamic company for which to work. New product development and ingredient reformulation. Sensory discrimination analysis, data analysis, statistical modeling, supervisory role. Experimental design and execution. Great people and a great company!!
Excellent work environment
Administrative Specialist over 10 yrs (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJuly 17, 2013
Highly effective and lively environment working with staff, faculty and both undergraduate and graduate students. Encouraged to expand my skills and experience within and outside the department. Highly motivating environment.
Pros
ability to learn, train and adapt to changes.
Cons
budget cuts and down sizing a reality as with most institutions today.
Gained Project Management Experience
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  OronoNovember 19, 2014
Currently, I hold a temporary position at the University of Maine as Project Manager for several projects. Working on these projects has been exciting and interesting.
Math Teacher's Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEOctober 29, 2014
Decent way to get your Master's Degree...and enough money to survive if you live frugal.

4.4