University of Maine

University of Maine Employer Reviews

Productive and friendly environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Orono, MEJanuary 6, 2015
PhD student at Umaine and got good research experiences here.
Gained Project Management Experience
Project Manager (Current Employee), OronoNovember 19, 2014
Currently, I hold a temporary position at the University of Maine as Project Manager for several projects. Working on these projects has been exciting and interesting.
Math Teacher's Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Orono, MEOctober 29, 2014
Decent way to get your Master's Degree...and enough money to survive if you live frugal.
Research Scientist
Instructor, Adult Education (Former Employee), Houlton, MEOctober 24, 2014
Excellent and dynamic company for which to work. New product development and ingredient reformulation. Sensory discrimination analysis, data analysis, statistical modeling, supervisory role. Experimental design and execution. Great people and a great company!!
Graduate Work at UMaine
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Orono, MEJuly 13, 2014
I was a teaching assistant at the University of Maine. I worked with other TA's and an advisor.
Very good place to be
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Orono, MEJune 11, 2014
i was a student at the University of Maine. Most of what i learned there was beneficial towards bettering my future as an Engineer.
It is good for a school job
Student Food Server (Former Employee), Orono, MEJune 1, 2014
Pros: free lunches after working a certain amount of hours, a fun working environment
Cons: not a lot of advencement oppurtunity.
The reason I worked here was because I was in school and needed to earn extra cash after class. It was a very good choice for a student, since they liked to hire students over outside help. When it came to needing more time off to prepare for a test, they were very willing to work with you.
A fun place to be a grad student
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Orono, MEJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: good fellow students, interesting projects
Cons: none ;)
The best thing was working on a project that you believe in. I enjoyed my time as a graduate student there, my fellow graduate students were great.
Interesting
Telecommunications Analyst (Current Employee), Orono, MENovember 21, 2013
Interesting mix of staff and students. Really................................................................................................................................................................
Senior Project
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Orono, MEAugust 8, 2013
I did research for my senior project. There was nothing wrong and it was a good experience
Excellent work environment
Administrative Specialist over 10 yrs (Current Employee), Orono, MEJuly 17, 2013
Pros: ability to learn, train and adapt to changes.
Cons: budget cuts and down sizing a reality as with most institutions today.
Highly effective and lively environment working with staff, faculty and both undergraduate and graduate students. Encouraged to expand my skills and experience within and outside the department. Highly motivating environment.
Great Place
Technician II (Former Employee), Orono, MEJune 23, 2013
The management were great. The co-workers were awesome people. Learned a lot about many of the services used. Dealt with a lot of confidential information on a daily basis.
TRAINING SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Orono, MEMay 29, 2013
The University is a great place to contribute skills and experience.
Very productive and a fun work place with great people.
The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (Former Employee), Orono, MEMay 16, 2013
A typical day at work is very productive and fun. All my co-workers are great at communicating with each other and helping one another when it comes to meeting deadlines for up coming events. The most enjoyable part of my job would be organizing events and educating the university community about all different cultures and help bring awareness to social justice.
Work Study Job
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Orono, MEMay 1, 2013
Fun lab to work for; measuring samples from the field with intriguing research.
Experiences
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee), Orono, MEApril 10, 2013
Pros: learn so much about working at a university
Cons: can't think of any.
I really enjoyed my positions at the U of Maine as it helped me get to know the campus employees in all departments and loved working with the students.
Wonderful minus the weather
Instructor of Communication (Former Employee), Orono, MEMarch 16, 2013
Great community, if you can handle the prolonged cold and lack of sunlight the University of Maine is a wonderful employer in the northern maine area.
Experts in LCA of forest products.
Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Internship (Former Employee), Orono, MEMarch 1, 2013
Strong ties to international forest products organizations and expertise in LCA. Traditional university research environment with focus on information processing. Beautiful campus in small town setting.
An okay place to work.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee), Farmington, MEJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: helped to pay bills.
I worked for UMF for a short period of time. I really don't have anything negative to say per se.
CA job not so great
Dining services (Former Employee), Orono, MEJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: almost a livable wage, summers off, some health benefits
Cons: very unpleasant dog eat dog atmosphere
Working in dining services is to have to listen all day to other employees put each other down and rat each other out to management. This behavior is encouraged by the way management responds. The atmosphere is pretty toxic. I have even seen management openly pit employees against each other. The benefits are OK if you do not mind being coereced into having a "life coach" and being told how to live your life outside of work. I've worked at colleges before and they are usually very cool, inspiring places to work. This campus is a real oppressive republican sort of mentality that does not encourage free thinking or comaraderie- oh and considers putting plain tap water in your mug for the ride home to be stealing (if you aren't management). Also, yes, they have paid sick days, but don't even try to use even one of them unless you are ready to deal with being accused of lying. Also, if you have an important family event to go to, dont think you can swap a day with another coworker. It's not allowed. You work the days you are scheduled. period. Management wont allow anything that makes sense and helps everyone. Loyalty and cooperation is a one way street here. The good reviews I read look to be from students working on summer jobs.