University of Mary Washington Employee Reviews

Amazing environment to learn about the literary world
Nonfiction Editor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 20, 2017
I was refined and sifted while in this position. I discovered more about writing and the publishing industry that I have ever known before, and I learned how to publish my own works. Great position to have for a semester!
Pros
Interviewing authors
Cons
Very time consuming
Great Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 31, 2017
There is always something new to do as long as you look for it. Management was very open and listened to any concerns. Coworkers are friendly and make the day easier to get through.
Productive and Helpful
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 24, 2017
I enjoyed helping others with their math work. It was very rewarding whenever I hear that a student of mine was improving in class or that he/she understood the material.
Pros
Works with your schedule
Cons
Slow weeks
Very friendly environment.
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  University of Mary WashingtonMay 24, 2017
Great place to work as a first job. They expect a lot, but are willing to help in any way they can.You are taught what you need to know and then are left fairly unsupervised to continue your work.
A decent place to work
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  FredericksburgApril 25, 2017
It is a decent place to work as long as you stay out of politics. There is a great deal of flexible and compensation is fair. However, with management changes there is a bit of tension.
Research Assistant, wasn't a real employee
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 17, 2017
Gained a lot of experience in different methodologies. The manager was a no BS guy and had high expectations. I was expected to figure things out on my own, but I learned a lot regardless so it was a fulfilling experience.
A Highly Broken System
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 14, 2017
My time at UMW was tumultuous to say the least, the year I spent as an RA was doubly so. RA's are expected to go above and beyond the duty we are trained for or even paid for, with little appreciation from either our staff or our students.
Productive and supportive team
OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT AND OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 4, 2017
I worked with a great group of eople. Highly educated and knowledgeable in their field. There's opportunity to get involved in other areas within the institution.
Pros
Employee luncheons and recognition
Cons
The pay if you don't have a degree
Productive and accommodating work environment
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 22, 2017
Manning the campus office and phones to provide veterans and/or dependents with assistance using educational benefits and filing secure documents and additional information. Occasional time spent representing campus office at job fairs and other veteran related events.
Pros
Flexible hours with weekends off
Cons
No advancement and limited contract
Wonderful coworkers and great work environment
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 26, 2016
terrific environment to work in
the co-workers are great to work with, collaborative and willing to assist as needed.
Director of the nursing program is stellar

Want to know more about University of Mary Washington?

Ask a question
No distractions in the work place, easy to focus
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 5, 2016
A typical day at work was answering phone calls, and helping set up or take down campus events. The hardest part of working there was it was very routine like and nothing would change day to day.
Pros
Easy commute, because it was right on campus
Cons
Long shifts for example; would work a straight 5 hour shift without a break
Assistant Director of Annual Giving (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 30, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at UMW. The university community is wonderful and supportive. The campus is beautiful, and the work environment is quality. I have made lifelong friends here, and learned valuable skills.
Great for education and career development
Graduate Assistant: Orientation (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 11, 2016
It's a caring environment where your coworkers and supervisors want you to grow and have new experiences. Best part of the job are the people: those who work in Student Affairs as well as the UMW students.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Student Transition Program (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job would probably be building relationships with the students and the staff. I really liked everyone I worked with which made the job alot more easier. The job was stressful at a times but because everyone liked each other it really made the job enjoyable.
Quiet workplace with time to do homework
Student Aide (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 26, 2015
A typical work day would be an hour shift where we would check books out for patrons and assist them with any questions they had about the school/library.
Great management and cooperation!
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VaOctober 23, 2015
Developed leadership and communication skills.

Great work environment that involved both faculty and student body.
Great place to learn Software Development
Software Developer and Tester (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 17, 2015
The work was fun and entertaining. It also provided a good space for learning the SDLC and testing procedures. It was difficult getting the team to work together, but it also provided team managing skills as well.
Rewarding time teaching English
Head of the ESL program (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 16, 2015
I taught basic and intermediate level English skills to Latino adults in the Fredericksburg area. It brought me a lot of joy to see people able to converse comfortably in their non native tongue.
Not a fun place to work
Lead Grounds III (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 1, 2015
Management is top heavy and not very motivated to get the job done. There are absolutely no checks and balances on supervisors. Therefore they have free reign.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hostile work environment
Productive and Fulfilling Workplace
Resident Director, Residence Life (Former Employee) –  Alvey HallFebruary 9, 2015
I interacted with the residents in my building to find out what was working for them and what they were unhappy with within the residence hall. I reported my findings to my supervisor. The management was often unorganized but akways had the students best interest at heart. Once a week as a Resident Assistant, or for two weeks a semester as a Resident Director, I would be on dute. If an incident occurred in my building as an RA or anywhere on campus as an RD during this time, I had to manage it, whether it was a prank involving someone pulling the fire alarm or a serious crisis.,