University of Mary Washington Employee Reviews

Assistant Director of Annual Giving (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 30, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at UMW. The university community is wonderful and supportive. The campus is beautiful, and the work environment is quality. I have made lifelong friends here, and learned valuable skills.
Great for education and career development
Graduate Assistant: Orientation (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 11, 2016
It's a caring environment where your coworkers and supervisors want you to grow and have new experiences. Best part of the job are the people: those who work in Student Affairs as well as the UMW students.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Student Transition Program (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job would probably be building relationships with the students and the staff. I really liked everyone I worked with which made the job alot more easier. The job was stressful at a times but because everyone liked each other it really made the job enjoyable.
Quiet workplace with time to do homework
Student Aide (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 26, 2015
A typical work day would be an hour shift where we would check books out for patrons and assist them with any questions they had about the school/library.
Great management and cooperation!
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VaOctober 23, 2015
Developed leadership and communication skills.

Great work environment that involved both faculty and student body.
Great place to learn Software Development
Software Developer and Tester (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 17, 2015
The work was fun and entertaining. It also provided a good space for learning the SDLC and testing procedures. It was difficult getting the team to work together, but it also provided team managing skills as well.
Rewarding time teaching English
Head of the ESL program (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 16, 2015
I taught basic and intermediate level English skills to Latino adults in the Fredericksburg area. It brought me a lot of joy to see people able to converse comfortably in their non native tongue.
Not a fun place to work
Lead Grounds III (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 1, 2015
Management is top heavy and not very motivated to get the job done. There are absolutely no checks and balances on supervisors. Therefore they have free reign.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hostile work environment
Productive and Fulfilling Workplace
Resident Director, Residence Life (Former Employee) –  Alvey HallFebruary 9, 2015
I interacted with the residents in my building to find out what was working for them and what they were unhappy with within the residence hall. I reported my findings to my supervisor. The management was often unorganized but akways had the students best interest at heart. Once a week as a Resident Assistant, or for two weeks a semester as a Resident Director, I would be on dute. If an incident occurred in my building as an RA or anywhere on campus as an RD during this time, I had to manage it, whether it was a prank involving someone pulling the fire alarm or a serious crisis.,
Positive growth experience through athletic passion
Graduate Assistant- Volleyball (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 28, 2014
Was afforded the opportunity to aid a group of 17 young women in becoming the best possible athletes and students that they can be for the past 2 years. Office hours, in which film exchange and breakdown, student academic meetings, conference calls, game strategy, practice planning, etc. were conducted averaged approximately 50 hours a week. Gym training time where practices and games were executed spanned 20-30 hours a week.

Want to know more about University of Mary Washington?

Ask a question
Historic Preservation Student
Student (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 28, 2014
The university offers a well rounded and holistic approach to teaching the basics of all aspects of the preservation field and then allowing students to focus on their specific interests in upper level classes.
Most employees part time with no benefits
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 17, 2013
Not a good place to work for. Avoid if you can. Most employees part time with no benefits
Pros
nice campus
Cons
no benefits for most employees
Coaching job
Assistant Coach for Track and Field/Cross Country (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 5, 2013
Its a coaching job
Got to make training
worked with other great coaches
Adjunst teaching
Part Time/Adjunct Professor of Art Foundations (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 27, 2013
I personally graduated from UMW and was asked to teach Art Foundations for one semester while a professor was on leave. I loved the experience and enjoyed the students and the classroom.
Pros
teaching art all day!
Cons
adjunct, part time work
on campus job
Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 31, 2013
an on campus job during the week. Flexible hours with classes.
Manage the Fitness Center
Fitness Center Deak Aid (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 2, 2013
security, upkeep of the gym and equipment, CPR/First Aid/AED trained
Helpful, friendly and supportive environment with interesting and creative people.
Freelance Videographer and Editor (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 2, 2012
I found Mary Washington to be a helpful, friendly and supportive environment with interesting and creative people.
Excellent benefits and job security.
Locksmith Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 18, 2012
Typical Day: Obtaining work orders from supervisor for the day, completing orders, and reporting back to supervisor at the end of the day with an update on the order statuses.
Learned: Carpentry, locksmithing, and groundskeeping skills.
Co-Workers: Excellent people to work with and learned a lot of carpentry skills.
Hardest part of the job: Couldn't complete job orders whenever girls were in their rooms when I stopped by to complete my job orders.
Most Enjoyable: Learning new carpentry skills and working with excellent co-workers.
Pros
learning new carpentry, locksmithing, and groundskeeping skills.
Cons
clearing snow during at night during inclement weather conditions.
College
Full Time College Student (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 27, 2012
This is not a company Indeed this is a great college. Your system cannot tell the difference in my resume.
Pros
acadamia
Cons
none to list

University of Mary Washington Reviews by Location