University of Maryland, Baltimore Employee Reviews

self motivation encouraged
Geriatric Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 27, 2017
Management very approachable.Encouraged and participated in team problem solving.Employees are made to feel they're part of a large extended family. I can't speak for everyone but that's how I felt.
Pros
great team work with peers
Cons
need tighter security at the 701 building
Nice place to learn and work
Research Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 26, 2017
This is a nice place to learn, Research, Work and have fun.
I prefer to work in a serious, friendly and successful place like this.
I have had many publications and learnt a lot here.
Very good working environment
Postdoctoral fellowship (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 20, 2017
I work mainly in the lab, but I also have some teaching duties.
I assisted in the successful completion of grant writing, student mentoring and teaching.
A very good University to work for
Office Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 7, 2017
Working at UMB is very enjoyable. You meet a different array of people which includes staff, students and faculty. The president of the University is a very nice and dear man. It has diversity. There are a lot of women on the heads of boards which is always a good thing to me. In fact, the only reason I am seeking another job is because in the specific department that I currently am in there is no room for advancement and I would like to see myself reaching goals that unfortunately aren't in my near future if I stay.
Great starter Job
Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 28, 2017
Working in the ER was great. As a Patient registrar you got to experience different things working here. Please be careful of the supervisors though they can smile in your face and lie on you behind your back. Keep documentation of EVERYTHING.
Priority, Personality, and Productivity
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 1, 2017
The customer need is always top priority. I generally plan my work day by reviewing the task and identifying if we have a full staff or partial staff to fulfill the assignment. However, my track record indicate that I meet all deadlines. Working in a multi-culture environment and dealing with many variations of personalities I learned that my people skills are highly rated. The hardest part of my job is working with a depleted staff and not receiving work orders in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of my job is the finished product.
Pros
Tuition remission for my family and myself
Cons
cost of health insurance
Good Stepping Stone
Clinical Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 26, 2017
Great benefits, low wages, non-promoting culture. Facilities are outdated, work environment is cramped, entry level and mid-level employees are supportive of one another, gap in support between upper management and lower level employees. Hardest part of job is adapting to ever-changing processes due to high employee turn over and major disconnect between process implementing management and on the ground workers. Management has never worked as a "ground troop" so there is very little understanding of what the workers do, therefore support is limited. If you like learning by being thrown in the deep end and you are a motivated self-starter, this is a good job to get your feet wet in. Not a good institution for longevity at this time. Most enjoyable part of job is the learning atmosphere and flexibility.
Pros
Free in-state tuition for you and family, good retirement options
Cons
No potential for upward mobility or promotion, low wages, very low potential for raises dispite stellar performace
Ok place to work
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 21, 2017
You can clearly tell the differences between UMB and JH with regard to the levels of the research scientists / PIs. They are doing ok research. Stay away if you want become a PI in the future.
Great work place
Student Attorney (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 11, 2017
Great work place and people are nice.
You can learn a lot about law while you working this University.
The city, Baltimore, is little bit dangerous, especially at night.
UMD is a fine place to work with average incentive of pursuing a creer to the technical staffs
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 28, 2017
Most PIs, especially assistant and associate professors care about their own challenges they face, they usually expect data from their staffs but do not have energy to care about the technical staff's future, and some are even become hostile towards their staffs when the budget issue becomes a pressure.
Pros
This is a job
Cons
There is not much future beyond.
Hard working co-workers
Information Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 17, 2015
Benefit of being able to receive my MS Degree that the University paid for. (Tuition Remission). Decent amount of red tape and politics. Learning from other staff members.
Pros
Education
Cons
Too little support staff
nice break room quiet when at lunch.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 5, 2015
working at University of Maryland have been a learning experience for me I have learn so much I do EKG,Draw blood.and lots more.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
longer breaks
Management does not support staff
Health Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 6, 2015
Management at the Cancer Center often provides unclear guidance and is non-communicative in their expectations. If you are on the wrong track or doing something sub-par, they will not work with you (or even let you know) to rectify the situation until they have decided you have failed at your job, in which case, they still do not create or discuss action plans.

Coworkers are wonderful and the staff wants to do excellent work but the center suffers from low morale due to the disconnect between management and subordinate staff.
Pros
Higher pay than most academic hospitals, will pay for continuing education
Cons
Management styles
No training but huge expectations
Lead HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 8, 2015
I was brought in with no training but huge expectations. When mistakes were made, rather than train me to not make mistakes, I was chastised for making the mistakes and not told how to correct. Salary was great, but too much pressure and anxiety
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
no job security
Great place to work with great people
Director of Organization and Employee Development (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 11, 2015
It was a joy working with the OED team in the Office of Human Resources. the work we did with the Onboarding program will help employees and the university for a long time.
Pros
Off during the Christmas break
Cons
Did not have a Learning management System
Great place to work overall, especially the School of Pharmacy.
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 27, 2014
The School of Pharmacy is a friendly place to work and the faculty are extremely supportive of Postdocs. It is a great place to work for motivated and hard working individuals.