UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY Employee Reviews in United States

A Fulfilling and Educational Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2016
UMBC's management of professors' labs is satisfyingly hands-off, but there is enough rigor in the process to keep things on track.
Worked in Behavioral Biology lab
Student Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 13, 2016
This was a good learning opportunity for me, but I didn't get much guidance. Often there were not enough resources for me to complete the experiments.
Great institution with good management
Desktop Student Support (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 3, 2016
Working at UMBC has been a great opportunity. They are understanding when it comes to work hours and are always looking for ways to improve the life of their employees. They also host tech talks in order to broaden the skills of their employees and gather a better understanding of how the company works. Overall it is a great institution and I would recommend working there.
First hand experience operating a facility and fields.
Student Intern to Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 23, 2015
Shadowing day to day with the athletic director , and building manager seeing what to takes to run a sporting facility.Somethings I was hands on with other times I just being informed and watch how they operate doing a course of a day.
Pros
Gaining experience and knowledge in a field I love
Cons
no pay
Awesome work culture
Data Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 21, 2015
I really enjoyed working here. My employer is very flexible with timing and he really appreciate my work. The work is also good from my interest point of view.
Great place to work.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 14, 2015
UMBC is a great place to work. The faculty members and staff are like family. The leadership is personable and approachable.
Pros
Great
Cons
productive and effective workplace. Also a fun friendly environment
Office Assistant, Fine Arts Department (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 27, 2015
Great work force. Everyone is always friendly and ready to help. On a daily basis I would have to input data in the computer, print out student reports, help students with financial issues. Hardest part of job is organizing and filing large amount of student data. Enjoyable part of the day is having to become familiar with students and faculty and improving my people skills.
Productive day
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 3, 2015
Getting work done on time.excellent academic and professional credentials
good time management skills and a strong work ethic
Challenging, active and fun workplace
Assistant Track & Field/Cross Country Coach (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 29, 2015
After being a member of the women's track and field team for 4 years it was a big switch to go from athlete to coach. I loved my time working with the team. I not only helped administer work outs daily, but I also worked as a physical therapist and life coach. Prepping these young adults for their futures was beyond rewarding and I believe it really gave my teaching to younger ages a different angle. I loved traveling with the team and reveled in the responsibility of handling transportation and money. Though it was not where I thought I was going to be working directly out of college I am so thankful for the experience and enjoyment I gained from working with both the coaches and athletes.
Meaningful grading to help students
Teacher's Assistant/Grader (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 27, 2015
Homework assignments and quizzes are graded on weekly basis to assess student's understanding and it is satisfying to help student learn new idea and concepts.
Pros
Satisfaction of helping
Cons
healthcare
Skill building
Health Advocacy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 20, 2015
I was able to build my communication and managerial skills with UMBC.
I enjoyed training new employees and making connections/networking with alumni.
a day a work
research coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 7, 2015
it was a great and friendly environment with people who care about work and well as co-workers. The company has some dedicated persons who deliver work very well and efficient. The job entails being detailed with little or no supervision. the supervisor if their if you ever need him.
Pros
good work environment frequent staff parties
Nice Place
Student Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 1, 2015
Graduate students are finding an exciting environment for meeting the challenges of advanced study at UMBC, a major center for graduate education and research in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C., corridor. UMBC is in the top tier of research universities nationally with one of the highest classifications given by the Carnegie Foundation: Doctoral/ Research University (High Research Activity). Young and dynamic, the university is small enough to provide personal attention, yet large enough to provide state-of-the-art facilities and the finest of faculty.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no cons
Good place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 13, 2015
It is a good place for which to work. The people are friendly. Like any other place there can be difficult personalities to manage, but overall the majority of people are friendly and helpful. The benefits are good. The campus is beautiful and there are many outside areas to sit and relax your mind. Advancement is easy in some areas; not so much in others, but there are many who have remained employed here for over 30 years. That says alot!
Pros
benefits, paid holidays, accrued annual and sick leave and tuition remission
Cons
advancement is difficult in some areas.
Great place to work as a student
Tech Support / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 17, 2014
Simple know what is required each day.
great co-workers
management is great.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough hours
a good engineering lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 6, 2014
I learned a lot from the university. the teaching assistant position help me survived first years in the USA.
Productive and very friendly place to work.
Administrative Assistant II, Contractual (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at UMBC, was hectic, sometimes but, fun.

I worked in Student's Life, at the time, and learned more about the medical field.

Management was fantastic.

The co-workers were excellent in that they always found time, when approached with a situation, to assist when and wherever needed.

There were not many hard part to my position. But, if I have to say a hardest part of the job for me was finding parting and walking such a long way to get to your job and back to your car.

The most enjoyable part of my position was being around the students on campus each day, as well as, working and support a group of wonderful staff.
Rewarding and educational environment
Assistant Editor (Former Employee) –  Mechanical Engineering DepartmentAugust 31, 2013
In the University of Maryland Baltimore County I worked as a teaching assistant in two mechanical engineering courses for undergraduate students. In the first laboratory course I instructed students on mechanics of materials theories and behavior of materials with emphasis on engineering materials. In the second course I worked as the grader for the mechanical vibrations course and had open office hours for student to come ask questions regarding any assignment or theory learned during lectures.
The laboratory course I instructed involved the research area I was active in during my year as a graduate student at UMBC, this helped me to transfer more knowledge of the practical and experimental side of engineering materials to the undergraduate students.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
minimal payscale, unapdated facilities
Excellent place to develop instructional skills
Teaching Assistant and Part-time Instructor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 24, 2013
A very balanced teaching load for graduate students provides a great balance between teaching duties and research.
Public school with horribly tight budgets.
Designer/Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDMarch 19, 2013
All jobs go to the lowest bidder, no matter what. Great projects can just go downhill fast when that is the system for bidding out printing.

4.3