University of Maryland Baltimore County Employee Reviews

Great Comraderie
Compass Group, Director of Food Service (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 20, 2017
During my career at Compass Group-Chartwells at UMBC I have had the pleasure of working with great colleagues. As we are very busy during the fall and spring semesters I still have fun working along side other managers/directors. We all take the time to have fun and love what we do. The culture is pleasant and uplifting and a great place to work hard, love what you do and have fun doing it.
Pros
Adjustable schedules, benefits, all major holidays off
Cons
Long hours during school semesters
A very fun and productive work space
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 10, 2017
This is a good place for those who love science and education. Very pleased team working space with good payments and benefits. Diversity is appreciated and knowledge is valued.
Hours are convenient
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDJune 2, 2017
It is a good part time job, but no opportunity for advancements. The hours are convenient for me. I worked for this University for 3 years in Transportation and I applied for another position and wasn't accepted. I didn't persue any farther about the job.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Umbc
President Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 14, 2017
I had an awesome experience. They hired me as a junior in college to be an administrative assistant for the President's Office. The experience and assistance they provided for me was amazing! UMBC truly cares about their students and helping them with finding a career/job after college.
Mixed experience
Faculty Member (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 18, 2017
Work weeks are long
Little support for assistance with workload
University initiatives in place, but little or no control over departmental politics and bias
Few opportunities for leadership development or to be mentored
Hardest part of job is assessing a promotional track
Benefits
Cons
Few mentoring opportunities
Productive workplace
Contracts & Grants Associate/Administrative Asst. (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 7, 2017
Best co-workers I have ever worked with - family atmosphere. The most enjoyable part of the job was when we worked as a team. The hardest part was saying good-bye.
Pros
Halloween, Christmas parties
Cons
n/a
Nice place to work
Tutor-Counselor/ Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 28, 2016
Nice relaxing atmosphere with a fair staff. Learned about team building and cooperation. nice atmosphere and great view on campus
A Fulfilling and Educational Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2016
UMBC's management of professors' labs is satisfyingly hands-off, but there is enough rigor in the process to keep things on track.
Worked in Behavioral Biology lab
Student Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 13, 2016
This was a good learning opportunity for me, but I didn't get much guidance. Often there were not enough resources for me to complete the experiments.
Great institution with good management
Desktop Student Support (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 3, 2016
Working at UMBC has been a great opportunity. They are understanding when it comes to work hours and are always looking for ways to improve the life of their employees. They also host tech talks in order to broaden the skills of their employees and gather a better understanding of how the company works. Overall it is a great institution and I would recommend working there.
First hand experience operating a facility and fields.
Student Intern to Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 23, 2015
Shadowing day to day with the athletic director , and building manager seeing what to takes to run a sporting facility.Somethings I was hands on with other times I just being informed and watch how they operate doing a course of a day.
Pros
Gaining experience and knowledge in a field I love
Cons
no pay
Awesome work culture
Data Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 21, 2015
I really enjoyed working here. My employer is very flexible with timing and he really appreciate my work. The work is also good from my interest point of view.
Great place to work.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 14, 2015
UMBC is a great place to work. The faculty members and staff are like family. The leadership is personable and approachable.
Pros
Great
Cons
productive and effective workplace. Also a fun friendly environment
Office Assistant, Fine Arts Department (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 27, 2015
Great work force. Everyone is always friendly and ready to help. On a daily basis I would have to input data in the computer, print out student reports, help students with financial issues. Hardest part of job is organizing and filing large amount of student data. Enjoyable part of the day is having to become familiar with students and faculty and improving my people skills.
Productive day
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 3, 2015
Getting work done on time.excellent academic and professional credentials
good time management skills and a strong work ethic
Challenging, active and fun workplace
Assistant Track & Field/Cross Country Coach (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 29, 2015
After being a member of the women's track and field team for 4 years it was a big switch to go from athlete to coach. I loved my time working with the team. I not only helped administer work outs daily, but I also worked as a physical therapist and life coach. Prepping these young adults for their futures was beyond rewarding and I believe it really gave my teaching to younger ages a different angle. I loved traveling with the team and reveled in the responsibility of handling transportation and money. Though it was not where I thought I was going to be working directly out of college I am so thankful for the experience and enjoyment I gained from working with both the coaches and athletes.
Meaningful grading to help students
Teacher's Assistant/Grader (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 27, 2015
Homework assignments and quizzes are graded on weekly basis to assess student's understanding and it is satisfying to help student learn new idea and concepts.
Pros
Satisfaction of helping
Cons
healthcare
Skill building
Health Advocacy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 20, 2015
I was able to build my communication and managerial skills with UMBC.
I enjoyed training new employees and making connections/networking with alumni.
a day a work
research coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 7, 2015
it was a great and friendly environment with people who care about work and well as co-workers. The company has some dedicated persons who deliver work very well and efficient. The job entails being detailed with little or no supervision. the supervisor if their if you ever need him.
Pros
good work environment frequent staff parties
Nice Place
Student Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 1, 2015
Graduate students are finding an exciting environment for meeting the challenges of advanced study at UMBC, a major center for graduate education and research in the Baltimore-Washington, D.C., corridor. UMBC is in the top tier of research universities nationally with one of the highest classifications given by the Carnegie Foundation: Doctoral/ Research University (High Research Activity). Young and dynamic, the university is small enough to provide personal attention, yet large enough to provide state-of-the-art facilities and the finest of faculty.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No cons