University of Maryland Eastern Shore Employee Reviews

Does not treat graduate student well
Lab and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJune 8, 2017
Does not treat graduate student well. Low pay for assisstantships with no benefits. Contracts never start on time. Sometimes contracts are even "lost" or "canceled."
Went to school there and it is very queit and simple
Member of Departmental Honors (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJune 7, 2017
studied every day
grasped a lot of information from different teachers
hardest part was not having anything to do
most enjoyable part was that students there were very easy to get along with and work together with as well
Good Job; Supervisor Lacking
Contractual General Assistant/Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MD 21853May 6, 2017
I enjoyed the job at UMES and I was a contractual worker for six months. Supervison, in my opinion, didn't set it up to succeed. We were left to teach ourselves many things in hopes that all was good at the end.
lovely environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDMay 3, 2017
The best environment I have ever been. My supervisor is friendly and very approachable. always guide you through the right part and always made the environment comfortable to complete task
Pros
free coffee
Cons
sick leave
Enjoy working around people whom come together to accomplish different task.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDApril 19, 2017
Did the jobs that were expected of me, gave 100 percent at everything I did which is one of the reasons for the promotions I received. I have had the pleasure of working with some Awesome people.
Pros
Taking care of the employees and the Customers
Cons
Some places lack of Support.
Okay place to work.
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDApril 17, 2017
It is not a bad place to work. When I was there, the management was bad--it was like a family running the show. There was no objectivity in decision making. I hear that the culture has changed with new management.
Needs a lot of improvement.
Resident Assistant/Student Director (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDApril 12, 2017
The school began to decline after my first semester on the campus. The administration was bad and the decision making to improve enrollment was not the best. The school would not invest in the proper tools to become more efficient. Actually, the school would rent housing instead of building/ purchasing their own. The school would share internet WiFi among different areas around campus which would cause a slower connection to those who stay off campus. There was a major language barrier between the students and the professors. The professors would treat the students as if they were still in high school and could not teach to the best of their abilities. The school's Greek life is declining also for the lack of a probation period. Instead, the Greek organizations are immediately suspended for grades and find it difficult to at least to work their way up to becoming active again. I enjoyed spending time at the Career Services center because the ladies in the office are extremely helpful. They helped me earn an internship with Enterprise Rent-a-Car. At this school, you will network and gain new connections so fast. Not only peers, but faculty/staff as well as other companies that come out to speak or participate in the career fair. This school still needs a lot of help though. UMES is a school that is only what you want or make it to be.
Awesome
Adjunct Professor -Psychology & Criminal Justice (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDApril 11, 2017
Teach introductory or low-level courses and upper-level courses in psychology and criminal justice. Responsible for advising students to approve student course loads, advise new students of department policies and perform other functions.
If you love to travel this is the job for you
Admissions Counselor/Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDApril 1, 2017
Typical day at work would be evaluating applications, answering emails, phone calls, scheduling for travel, speaking to counselors.
Not a micromanaged job
Workplace is very laid back
The hardest part is driving everywhere it becomes very tiresome at times.
The most fun part is traveling and meeting so many great people.
Assistant Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDMarch 13, 2017
Preparing contracts, updating policy and procedure, and audit students and company files. I learned more about the medical field in an office setting. The culture was all medical employees and PA students.. The hardest part of this job was getting accurate information from the doctors office where our students had to do their rotations. I enjoyed working the kids.
a real family type work place
Prep Cook/Baker (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJanuary 27, 2017
just amazing place to work there was no drama, also everyone looked after each other made sure we all on time and had ride and from work and most importantly made sure everyone's job was done and that we all gave 1000% in everything we did.
this is a job for folk that like to stay up all night and clean
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJanuary 19, 2017
typical day of work consist of pulling trash, cleaning bathrooms, dusting, vacuuming, washing windows, scrubbing lobby floors,other duties as assigned. i've learned to become a certified housekeeper with the on the job training classes the university provided as well as a floor technician in the same sense. the direct supervisor is great as long the work is getting done with no emails coming across his desk or computer screen, but the upper management has their favorites and i'm going to leave that there. the workplace is great. you are sent to your own individual building with maybe another two or three people to clean the detail the whole building in the 8 hours provided. the hardest part of the job is when the men on staff have to work together to push bleachers that 20000+ pounds on a manual jack. the most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom we get to not have a supervisor standing over us while we work.
Pros
hard physical work is very limited.
Cons
pay scale, favoritism
Great place to grow.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJanuary 8, 2017
A diverse network of professionals and staff that truly want to see students progress. The agriculture department is like family. They work hard and in any way they can help you, they will.
Production
Residential Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDNovember 30, 2016
Wake up everyday help out the residents. Whenever the residents have a problem they come to me and we figure out a solution.
Fun workplace
Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  MarylandNovember 18, 2016
Engaged with people and to teach them skills in the water. Had great co workers working side by side with me. Great teamwork
Work Day
Transfer Credit Counselor (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDOctober 17, 2016
Walk in a 8am check email and respond to correspondence and being my day with assigned task. The staff here is very diverse. Campus of about 4000 plus students.
Pros
State job
Cons
no cons
productive
Research Assistant and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJuly 22, 2016
it was a nice environment to work and learning experience for me and i got to meet new people and from different race. And as a student i was able to relate to people
UMES Review
Admin Counselor (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJuly 14, 2016
Work with great people who are really passionate about educating children and helping them succeed. Organization could definitely be much better and fluid with communication.
Great environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJune 30, 2016
I love absolutely everything about my job being able to make a difference in students lives is something I have a passion for.
Pros
The extra mile that some of the departments go for the students
Personal Development Encouraged
Clinical Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJune 7, 2016
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a great place to work. I have been given the opportunity to learn a number of skills and have been encouraged to cross train in different areas.