University of Maryland Eastern Shore Employee Reviews

A good first job
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDFebruary 22, 2016
Work culture at UMES is nice. As a web master I am responsible for web content management on couple of web sites. University uses a content management to ease up the process for non-technical staff.
Overall I liked working here and all my colleagues are friendly and warm.
Great environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJune 30, 2016
I love absolutely everything about my job being able to make a difference in students lives is something I have a passion for.
Pros
The extra mile that some of the departments go for the students
UMES Review
Admin Counselor (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJuly 14, 2016
Work with great people who are really passionate about educating children and helping them succeed. Organization could definitely be much better and fluid with communication.
Personal Development Encouraged
Clinical Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJune 7, 2016
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a great place to work. I have been given the opportunity to learn a number of skills and have been encouraged to cross train in different areas.
Great environment and area
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDMay 18, 2016
Great students and beautiful campus. The campus culture is welcoming and offer great opportunities to expand professional development by joining various campus committees.
Productive and busy
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDMay 9, 2016
- Typical day at work is very busy
- Management is wonderful
- Hardest part of the job is billing students for their rooms being dirty.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
No breaks.
My research experience at University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES)
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDSeptember 11, 2015
I enjoyed my research activities at University of Maryland Eastern Shore! The chemistry of converting waste cooking oil into biodiesel is breath taking. My supervisor did a wonderful job by introducing the various steps and stages that are initiated in biodiesel production processes. My first day at the research lab, I was introduced to a batch reactor known as Bio Pro 190. This batch reactor usually takes up to 12 hours to produce the required end-products. However, there are several lab tests that have to be carried out on the waste cooking oil so as to ascertain that amount of reagents to be added to the batch reactor. One of the end-products produced is glycerine. This end-produce have great number of applications in today's economic. My job description also required that I conduct extensive research in various areas where glycerine is used. You will be amazed that some cosmetic companies use glycerine as the primary solvent through which other chain of cosmetic products are developed. I worked with a colleague on these projects and we gave a wonderful delivery that surpassed the job expectations.
Pros
Enjoyed free tours to two biodiesel plants and had endless access to the research labs where I work.
Cons
Some waste cooking oil were not properly stored by the cafeteria management.
Associate Clinical Professor
Associate/Clinical Professor (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDNovember 22, 2015
I taught Clinical Medicine I to graduate student that were Physical Therapy Students. Excellent leadership by all faculty.
Pros
Excellent Company - State of the Art
Cons
Productive and effective place to practice management skills.
Head Manager of the Women's Basketball Team (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDNovember 12, 2014
I take care of all coach and team needs, and make sure both coach and team are functioning. I Attend and prepare daily practices, events, games. I Video record games, and attend to coaches and players on the bench on the game day. Wash and prepare practice and game day jersey's. I Pack and prepare travel bag for away all games. Work collectively and together with other Women's Basketball managers. The hardest part of the job is consistently waking up at 5 a.m. for 6 a.m. practice. I enjoy everything about managing the women's basketball team. Basketball is a passion so I don't look at it as a job because I love to do it. The team makes me feel welcome and like I am apart of a family.
Pros
great experience, travel experience, free athletic apparel, hands on management experience.
Cons
6 a.m. practice.
This type of work is not for older people it's for younger people to do.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDDecember 24, 2013
This type of job doesn't come with any type of benefits and you are layoff six month out the year. There isn't no benefits or incentives to want to work there beside having a job. You work in all types of weather condition. The supervisors doesn't 't value your opinions or sugguestions. My typical day begins at night working under all types of weather. I am responsible for checking students nd visitors identification and proper sticker on their vehicles. Checking housing area for any students lockout of their complex. Checkimg the housing area for any property damages or emergancy. Contact dispatcher for police or Ambulance if needed. Give. Written report of what happen daily.
Pros
company vehicle in bad weather.
Cons
able to receive overtime
Contractual Worker with Stability
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDApril 1, 2015
The atmosphere is pretty laid back with opportunity to gain overtime within this contractual position. Overtime is given out last minute and most positions are over night so always keep your body rested. If you are a quiet person and keep to yourself this position can be idle. If you like to interact with people and help and assist this position can be idle for that also. Overall job is ok no opportunity of growth no matter how many contracts you sign and the years you end up working here. Unless you apply to an open full time position on your own time.
Pros
stability even though contractual
Cons
no growth
Working as a Student
Lab Assistant/ Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJune 7, 2015
The work was easy, I loved that everything was hands on. I learned a lot from the projects I worked on. There were weekly meetings to update management on progress that was made.
A positive workplace where everyone is happy to be an employee and works towards a common goal.
Rehabiltation (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDSeptember 14, 2015
It does not even feel like work because all employees seem to be having fun on the job. All individual perform the occupations duty to the best of their ability.
Students are welcome
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDSeptember 18, 2012
This position is more geared towards students who need money but for those who need stability from both management and job-wise, It may prove to be difficult. From coming in to a place that is constantly out of order to dealing with nonfluctuating issues with management, you would think it maybe a mad house. The co-workers are tolerable but when pressed for time, the workload becomes unorthodox and unbalanced.
Pros
free lunches(at the time), friendly co-workers, some easy-going staff
Cons
no medical insurance, bad management, lack of job stability
Good Benefits
Administrative Assistant/IT Data Entry Operator (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJune 25, 2014
A typical day at work involves constant interaction with students, who are our customers. Management is fair. Co-workers are like co-workers anywhere--they can be good, and they can be not so good. The hardest part of the job is balancing all duties required, as is synonomous with most every other job. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping others (students).
typical day at work what you learned management your co-workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job DO NOT include any per
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJuly 17, 2014
typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
DO NOT include any personally identifiable
A fun workplace
Part Time Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDAugust 15, 2015
My typical day at UMES is just like any other work day though the co-workers may not be the easiest people to work with I still manage to get my job done and have time to help others if needed
Pros
Close to where I live
Cons
Nothing of which I can think of
Worked as Planning Analyst
Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salisbuty, MDMarch 5, 2012
There was no forethought to the position and location of my work space. As new PhD employee I tried my best, worked weekends to complete reports, and discovered that the educational technology didn't exist! I was number y is a long line for this position as they could not keep the position filled.
Pros
location to real cities
Cons
management, departments
Good place
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Princess Ann, MDMay 2, 2015
Good place to work. I enjoy the experience.Salary on the low side.Coworkes very nice to work with. Students ok.Overall good place to work.
Great environment to work
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDMay 18, 2015
Exhibit honest and strong moral principles in all that is done. co workers were dedicated and gave 100% everyday.Individuals were responsible for their their actions and have high expectations for themselves and others. Presence of showing due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights and traditions of others. Overall workers strive to be the best in all they do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Maryland Eastern Shore Reviews by Location