University of Maryland Medical Center

University of Maryland Medical Center Employee Reviews

Amazing place for learning
Electronic Medical Records volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 8, 2017
Over the course of many years, when I volunteered at HIM UMMC, I have build confidence and I have developed knowledge and skills during that time that would serve me well in transitioning to the role of Medical Record
Pros
Free lunch and inventive for performance in work
Cons
I was volunteer.
Student RN/PCT (PRN) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 8, 2017
Overall UMMC is a good place to work. It is fast-paced environment with many protocols in place to ensure safe practice to both the health care providers and the clients. Education is very important and the facility promotes it along with team work.
Ok,but often disorganized
Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Linthicum Heights, MDNovember 8, 2017
A new Manager came aboard and took away flex time and breaks within her 2 weeks there and a lot of employees have either quit or have been let go within her first month there.
Cons
Flex time removed as time option and breaks taken away
This is a great place to work.
Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 6, 2017
Working on an acute care unit is fast paced and can be stressful but also very rewarding. I have learned a lot about team building and the importance of contributing input via unit based governance to provide better care to patients. The manager promotes a caring work culture to benefit the patients and also the employees. The hardest part of the job are the hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is having relationships with patients and the rapport among the staff.
Pros
This is a great place to develop a lot of clinical skills and hone critical thinking skills.
Cons
This is a facility that is open 24/7.
Good
Staff Nurse Cardiology Graphics (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 4, 2017
I had some great co-workers there, some people have various race, religions or creed that can make them easy to offend even with regular conversation, however this is also something that is becoming more and more in regular life now. Over all I had a great experience. Just wish I had more room to move around to different departments. Moving up, or lateral in the facility can be a real challenge, I felt a little pigeon held into my position.
workplace culture
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 30, 2017
On the unit I worked on things worked well as long as you are willing to be a tattletale. I am an adult and I know how to work out problems with other adults without getting physical or emotional about it. Sometime adults do not get along and when they do not you need to know how to defuse the problem before it gets any more out of hand.
Teaching hospital.encorage stsff engagement.
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 26, 2017
Have been employed with UMMS.for 25 years .Enjoy the ability to move to different positions in the organization.Commitment to community outreach.Actively seeks employee engagement
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, teaching hospital.
Cons
Education with staff about effective communication., cultural compentancy
Great employer!
Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, Md.October 23, 2017
Great employer! Action packed, fun filled shift each day I work. Diversity of learning opportunities and exposures to various experiences. I absolutely gained a wealth of knowledge at this hospital.
Pros
Great employer!
Muy bueno
Certified Nursing Assistant/Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 23, 2017
Fast-paced work days. Great place to work overall. If excepting employment at this hospital try to get an assigned garage close to the hospital as the surrounding areas are dangerous.
Average Job
Biomedical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 20, 2017
Average job, not too great or horrible. Lack of compensation to lower level employees. They prefer to spend their money on more doctors and nurses instead of investing in the support staff.
Job summary
Referral Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 20, 2017
Scheduling management, getting authorizations for all radiology studies,and scheduling appointments. The work environment is great, there is really no hard part and the most enjoyable part is working with the patients
Small Community Hospital
REGISTERED PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDOctober 19, 2017
The real saving grace to this place is that it is close to home. Since everyone knows everyone, there's no real discipline. Even though this hospital is affiliated with the University of Maryland, it doesn't follow the guidelines for a University. The majority of the lifers there are still stuck in the Fallston General mindset and can't seem to understand that the times are changing. Free parking is a bonus. I wouldn't be treated here if I were on my deathbed. The pay is terrible, offset only by the fact that I save money on gas and parking.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Poor Pay, Low Patient Satisfaction Scores
very productive
Nurses Extender (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 18, 2017
Hard work, always busy. I learned everything there was to learned as far as patient care and more. There were every culture basically Blacks and Caucasians. I worked in the step down unit in Shock Trauma. So it was hard to see patient come in from accidents, gunshot wounds and being beat almost to death. The good part was you got to leave and go home.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare
management sucks
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 17, 2017
All the managers don't know how to manage or take care of their employees. They all have a chip on their shoulders. No way you will ever advance in any job at this place...
Pros
great Heathcare benefits
Cons
managers suck and lots of people that have been there for a while think they own the place
Productive place to work
Senior Certified Surgical Technologist III (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 15, 2017
It's a great place to work. Can be a stressful yet gratifying roles played in helping each patient that needs medical attention. I have worked here for a number of years and there is never a dull moment.
Pros
Self scheduling
A relaxed place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Maryland City, MDOctober 14, 2017
On this job, I learned how to enter data to a computer data base and worked closely with a doctor on a research project (this is basically what I do on a typical day at work)
Pros
free lunch
a polite place to work.
Tech II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 12, 2017
The HIM department has been the best job I ever had. All the people there are very helpful. Everyone works as a team to get the project complete. The department works as a unit.
Fast Paced Environment with Opportunity for Growth
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 11, 2017
Extremely fast-paced environment
Opportunity for growth and advancement
tuition reimbursement
academic hospital
support for advancement
learning opportunitities
job is never redundant
team-oriented
focus on mission of the hospital
great benefits
Great work environment and people at SRH
IT Technician III (Current Employee) –  Easton, MDOctober 8, 2017
Great work environment and the people are very friendly here. Good balance of work\home life.

on call support and hard to use sick and vacation time
Sometimes you just have to move on
Sterile Processing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 6, 2017
As one door closes, another one opens. I was terminated because upper management brought in a outside company who only wanted their own people in the management positions. I had no write ups and was considered a cornerstone of my department. I wasn't offered another position nor the option to vacate the management position to keep my years of employment. I didn't complain, and I didn't stress. I moved on and trust that my skill and work ethic will be acknowledged in the long run.
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
No advancement, poor pay rates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Maryland Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.