University of Maryland Medical Center

University of Maryland Medical Center Employer Reviews

Rates & Reimbursement Team
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 6, 2014
This a safe job but unfortunately management is resistant to all forms of change. They continually switch up hospitals and promote themselves but usually only bring on new managers from outside the organization.
it's a job
Dietary Aide (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 30, 2014
Pros: employees are fun to work with
Cons: terrible management, no room for growth within the department
in the beginning I enjoyed working here now its miserable. It's not the employees it's the terrible management.
ICU
Nurse (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 16, 2014
A typical day included three patient care assessments, hourly rounds, and interdisciplinary rounds. All of our patients were continuously monitored. It was our duty to track trends and report changes to physicians, and when necessary, intervene.
The unit culture was warm and welcoming, but the management was distant. It was a large unit so understandable, – more... but would have enjoyed more involved management.
The hardest part of the job was removing life support from patients in the prime of life, who had an unexpected injury or disease process and the family was not prepared.
The part I enjoyed the most was the autonomy the nurses have and the team work on the unit. Every one valued everyone else's opinion and shared openly and honestly. – less
It's a family away from home
RN II (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2014
Pros: 1 hr lunch
Cons: pay to stay near hospital during snow storms
Good 12 hours shifts
Learned a lot.
Nice working environment.
MedIMC at UMMC
PACU Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 3, 2014
When I first started here it was incredible, all new hires, and excellent teamwork with staff. Unfortunately as other staff left due to schooling or other job opportunities, the teamwork dissipated quickly. Still, a great place to work.
If your looking to grow and excell University of Maryland Hosptal is the right place for you
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 3, 2014
From the front door, to the unit floors, everyone is kind and polite. You'll gain a sense of meaningful knowledge, and space to grow within the company!
Awesome place to learn
Volunteer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2014
A great place to volunteer where you get to get your hours and really learn about the future career you're pursuing. I really loved how the doctors gave tips and advices and were very kind.
Stressful
MC Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2014
Company spent large portions of time laying off employees. Alot of compliance concerns. Employees were nice to work with. Hardest part of the job was feeling comfortable talking to management and Human Resources. Most enjoyable part of the job was the employee morale. I came into a position working for a Director that was labeled "very hard to work – more... for" and although after mnths of trying to adjust and work through her "wants and needs" I begint o have all of the same problems previous assistants had with her. However, after explaining to management, nothing was done baout my concerns. – less
Senior Financial Receivable Coordinator (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 20, 2014
Pros: stable income
Cons: not enough cross-training
8-5, productive, training, team oriented, not being cross trained in other entities of the financial organization, being part of a team.
great place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2014
great education institution. Management encourages growth and career advancement.
A good place to make a difference
Project Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 9, 2014
Pros: good environment and benefits
Cons: very physician driven, sometime hectic
Generally a pleasant atmosphere, although it can get hectic at times since the hospital is a 24X7 operation. The management is very physician-centric sometimes to the detriment of areas that physicians might not have expertise in.

The folks who work there are generally pleasant, focused on getting the job done. There's a good employee review and rewards – more... program, good health care of course. – less
Diverse working community, good communication between Doctors and Nurses
Clinical Nurse- Surgical Acute Care and Telemetry (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 26, 2014
Pros: free symposiums
Cons: parking. we have not have epic charting for nurses yet, old computers.
My typical day at work is busy, you see and learn new things everyday. We take care of cases other hospitals cannot handle, patients come here and met the best and well knowledgeable Doctors and Nurses.
My co-workers are simply the best, team work all the way, they are the most enjoyable part of the Job.
Workplace
Nurse Extender (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 29, 2014
I was able to utilize my skills to gain personal growth and advancement
Very easy going job with great co workers
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 27, 2014
Pros: keeps me busy
Cons: no overtime
• Generate requisitions for medical-surgical supplies.
• Maintained medical-surgical inventory levels to support the designated operating rooms.
• Research supply issues and work with Purchasing to obtain supplies for patient care.
• Provide customer service for the internal customers.
• Process supply returns.
• Perform daily inventory cycle count.
 – more... Generate and review Stock Status Report on a weekly basis.
• Review shipping documents to validate receipt of product for the distribution center.
• Worked to maintain the warehouse and storeroom according to The Joint Commission standards. – less
large innercity hospital
Medical Technologist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: workload and specimen type are varied
Cons: work is in a dangerous part of baltimore
innercity teaching hospital, 750 bed hospital including Shock Trauma, work could be overwhelming due to volume and patient morbidity. Work in Microbiology was always interesting as we were always running according to the latest automated/manual method ranges. I learned much about ESBLs, modified Hodge tests, Vitek II automation, added to my knowledge – more... of anaerobes,probes and virology – less
Extreme exposure of culture and acute illness, intense learning experience
PCT/Student Nurse (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: teaching hospital lot of learning experience, lot of opportunity for advancement
Cons: disorganized, short staffed, low pay
Aways started early but still got behind due to staffing issues co-workers calling in sick then taking on too many patients when we work like a team things flowed smoothly, but if we were short staffed and things got busy it was everyman for them self with non-stop tasks, luckily the day flew by and the end of shift came fast. Culture on the units vary – more... from day to day based on co-workers, there were a few difficult personalities to work with otherwise very sharp outstanding nurses. – less
Ok place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 21, 2014
I worked for UMMC in the past and again work here presently. I find most of the time co workers are professional and fair. The physicians are friendly and knowlegable in the trauma, pulmonary, and interventional radiology areas. Management is fair, and most of the time easy to work with.
Introduction to medicine
Shadow (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 19, 2014
During college, I was a little unsure what field to enter. I took a one summer unpaid internship at University of Maryland Medical Center to see if medicine was the career path for me. It was.
Variable
Registered Nurse (ICU Float Pool) (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 18, 2014
Depends on the unit...i was ICU float, so I didn't get much into the BS.

1 2 3 4 5