University of Maryland Medical Center

University of Maryland Medical Center Employee Reviews

Busy and steady paced enviornment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 27, 2015
My typical day at work consists of providing extraordinary customer service. Working at the University of Maryland Medical Center, I've learned that you can be morally supportive to customers buy simply letting them know that you are listening to the customer. Management is low-key as long as deadlines are met and duties are performed as required. I love working with my co-worker because communication is key to run a successful business. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have the pleasure of helping customers and knowing that they left the my presence completely satisfied.
Pros
Receiving acknowledgment notes from customers
Cons
not be recognized for hard work performed
wonderful place to work and advance
Prep Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 21, 2015
I stay focus on attending to my patients needs for gathering or attaining pre-op for surgery next day, future to avoid cancelations or delays. I work as a team player to assist coworker through out the department as needed. Management has always stride to do better with additional job training or skills that are lacking, hardness part of job is when internal or external when the primary doctor office or surgeon office do provide the documents needed for patient to get cleared for surgery. when I help someone day goes better or easy.
Pros
love my job, enjoy helping patience gathering, assist pre-op to avoid surgery being cancel.
Cons
lack of patient information as need for pre-op
Good place to work and acqurie viable skills
App Sys Analyst III / Sr. Tech Computer Trainer (Former Employee) –  Linthicum and Baltimore, MDNovember 27, 2013
Even though I was one of 400 let go in June 2013 after 9 years, working for the hospital was still a wonderful experience. Interacting with medical personnel and fellow trainers was an honor as well as fun.

Direct management was excellent and very supportive. I was never micromanaged and allowed to be a self starter and creative in my training responsibilities

The hardest part of the job was leaving while the most enjoyable was being able to train others..
Pros
great benefits
Cons
economic situation dictating employees be let go.
eCare Data Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 25, 2015
I really love working for UMMC. They have a great work environment and many advancement opportunities. My co-workers are great and we all get along very well. We have many social events to help strengthen our team environment. I love being able to come in and know that I will be supported by staff who are working toward a common goal. Management has been very open to any concerns, and treat employees with fairness.
Pros
fun social events, great co-workers, good job secutiry, open to new ideas, great benifits
Cons
the dangers of working in downtown baltimore, commuting through the city can be a hasle at times
Productive/ Outstanding place to work
Nurse Extender (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 20, 2015
University of Maryland Medical Center/ Hospital is an excellent place to work, everyone works as a team, and the morel is awesome. There are excellent opportunities for anyone that is willing to work and learn. UMMC offer their employee stability with the opportunity to advance in any area of your choice, excellent benefits along with outstanding management. Working at UMMC is very rewarding if you enjoy helping people/working with the public. There are some days were you have to deal with people with negative attitudes and bad behavior which is part of the job, but overall it is a wonderful place to work. I rate UMMC five stars.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
people with negative attitudes
Good employer, great benfits
Coding Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDFebruary 21, 2013
When I accepted this position, it was with the understanding that there was going to be a lot of physician coding coming on board, and great chance for advancement. The coding did come, but unfortunately, it is now being outsourced, so I am doing very little codingand more A/R. I really want to do coding, I don't mind helping out in A/R, but that is not the job I applied for. I am very happy with the experience I have gained here, and I have great co-workers, However, coding is what I want to do, and hope to advance.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
i feel that my job is being eliminated.
Stressful
MC Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2014
Company spent large portions of time laying off employees. Alot of compliance concerns. Employees were nice to work with. Hardest part of the job was feeling comfortable talking to management and Human Resources. Most enjoyable part of the job was the employee morale. I came into a position working for a Director that was labeled "very hard to work for" and although after mnths of trying to adjust and work through her "wants and needs" I begint o have all of the same problems previous assistants had with her. However, after explaining to management, nothing was done baout my concerns.
Very easy going job with great co workers
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 27, 2014
• Generate requisitions for medical-surgical supplies.
• Maintained medical-surgical inventory levels to support the designated operating rooms.
• Research supply issues and work with Purchasing to obtain supplies for patient care.
• Provide customer service for the internal customers.
• Process supply returns.
• Perform daily inventory cycle count.
• Generate and review Stock Status Report on a weekly basis.
• Review shipping documents to validate receipt of product for the distribution center.
• Worked to maintain the warehouse and storeroom according to The Joint Commission standards.
Pros
keeps me busy
Cons
no overtime
Great experience in a Hospital Setting
HIM DOCUMENTATION AUDITING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 26, 2012
A typical day at the Hospital/Business setting begins with pulling reports and identifying which specialties are non-compliance with state laws and regulations. Co-workers are amicable and for the most part supportive. The most enjoyable part of working on the compliance team is that we motivate other areas to comply with set standards in place by the hospital. We work as a unit to build employee moral and leadership!!
Pros
organization provides reimbursement for education
Cons
pay, few incentives, and short-staffed with a heavy work-load
the place where the employees never feel the workload and enjoy
Medical Technologist I (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 30, 2013
As a Medical Technologist, I worked in Hematology Laboratory and worked in both, north and south Labs of University of Maryland Medical Center.

I worked night shift. It was busy all the time. It was the first time, I worked night shift (full time job).

Management: There was a weekly Laboratory meeting and there was discussion about the pros and cons.

Co-workers: They were friendly and we helped each other

The hardest part of the job: The volume of the specimens was heavy and if there was problem in the analyzer, It was hard to report the results on time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to read the smears in Hematology.
productive and a fun workplace
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 3, 2014
A typical day at work would be coming in and transporting patients to where they have to go i was the first one ready when they needed someone i love to be active. I have learned that the more i went around the building i memorize it it was very easy for me to learn people names and more. The management are very great. My co-workers also was wonderful and helpful to tech me. The hardest part of the job was transporting dead people. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know about the patients i was pushing around.
Vast hospital that promotes movement and education.
Supervisor CPOE Support Team (EMR) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 26, 2015
A typical day at work may be enjoyable when I and the people I supervise are able to take care of our customers. I have learned a great deal during my tenure as patient care technician, biomedical engineer, and application analyst. My employees are the best that there is at what they do.The hardest part of the job is communicating with management. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a smiling customer.
Pros
completely autonomous.
Cons
management with lack of vision
Diverse working community, good communication between Doctors and Nurses
Clinical Nurse- Surgical Acute Care and Telemetry (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 26, 2014
My typical day at work is busy, you see and learn new things everyday. We take care of cases other hospitals cannot handle, patients come here and met the best and well knowledgeable Doctors and Nurses.
My co-workers are simply the best, team work all the way, they are the most enjoyable part of the Job.
Pros
free symposiums
Cons
parking. we have not have epic charting for nurses yet, old computers.
EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE, ABILITY TO ENHANCE ANY AREA WHERE I AM PRESENT, GREAT TEAMPLAYER ALSO A LEADER WITH CREATIVE ABILITES.
SCEDULING & AUTHORIZATION COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 28, 2012
THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF MY JOB IS HELPING PEOPLE
THE INTERACTION PROCESS. DEALING WITH FAMILIES . TURNING NEGATIVE SITUATIONS INTO POSITIVE BY USING EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS AND MANY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. ALSO USING MY CREATIVE ABILITY TO ENHANCE THE CORPORATIONS IN WHICH I HAVE WORKED. AS OF NOW I HAVE THE BEST CO-WORKERS EVER. THE MANAGEMENT TEAM IS FILLED WITH EXPERIENCE
Pros
working with people
Cons
would like to advance
A great facility for young professionals to learn & grow
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 28, 2015
It's a very busy facility, clean and friendly. There's endless opportunities to nurture and grow your career. My co-workers became my family. The long days/hours can be tough but, the professional growth is priceless.
Pros
Very supportive of NPs, fast paced and dynamic. Tons of room to grow and develop as a new NP.
Cons
The pay is less than other facilities, but the experience and education benefits way surpass the smaller pay check.
Very productive workdays
Nursing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 4, 2015
Working at this facility, team work was very important. I loved the culture that was created within the culture. It bore a culture of excellence regardless of training or background. The hardest part of the job was the distance to get to it. I would travel on average 3 hours a day round trip, but once I got there it was worth it. I was on the advisory committee that tackled issues arising within the institution. It was exciting to see some of the things we spoke about implemented.
Pros
Visible leadership
Cons
Distance
large innercity hospital
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 11, 2014
innercity teaching hospital, 750 bed hospital including Shock Trauma, work could be overwhelming due to volume and patient morbidity. Work in Microbiology was always interesting as we were always running according to the latest automated/manual method ranges. I learned much about ESBLs, modified Hodge tests, Vitek II automation, added to my knowledge of anaerobes,probes and virology
Pros
workload and specimen type are varied
Cons
work is in a dangerous part of baltimore
customer service with a smile
Medical Records Clerk/ Release of information tech (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 24, 2013
i would go in and get the station that i was assigned to for the day and see the duties that station require. Set my goals for the day. i learned how to be more comfortable around people, being more open. The management team was nice and considerate. The hardest part of the job probably would be setting up the store in the right way when we had to set u for new sales. i enjoyed interacting with the customers and some of my coworkers
A typical day at work entailed consistent communication and interaction with the staff, and various other disciplines to ensure quality patient care.
Logistics Operations Manager/Inventory (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 16, 2015
Overall, as an employer, I'd rank them as one of the top organizations to work for due to the opportunities that are available, the abundance of resources, the benefits are really great, and the assistance and training for growth, enhancement, and advancement are incredible. Effective communication and teamwork are very much the focal point of the day-to-day operations throughout the institution.
Pros
Great place to work.
Good learning environment
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 2, 2014
I had opportunity to learn different procedures in the general pediatric unit. The nurses explained differences in the procedures as well as the equipment used for pediatric patients versus the adults. This was very helpful. There were 4 wings (A-D) for different pediatric patients according to the specialty. The play rooms were very fascinating. I also had an opportunity to take care of patients in the pediatric ER. It was a very busy day. I loved the triage and learned things such as migraine protocol.
Pros
busy and interesting learning environment

University of Maryland Medical Center Reviews by Job Title