University of Maryland University College

University of Maryland University College Employee Reviews

Training program development
Program Director and Professor (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 2, 2017
Developed educational training programs, including Executive training, "Green" Technology training program, as well as research on high-tech products and teaching a number of courses on Green Technology, Project Management & Technology Management , plus International Business Development.

My specialty is Technology Transfer, enjoyed working with talented teams.
Pros
Diverse students
Cons
Limited implementation of advanced programs
Difficult environment
Part-Time College Instructor (Former Employee) –  On-line Winston Salem NCDecember 3, 2016
I was required to grade students. Often times students did not perform their requirements to pass the course which put me in very difficult situations. The University wanted to make money and wanted the students to get good grades. When I was unable to give good grades, students would complain to management and blame the professor for their failings.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Management was only interested in students getting good grades.
A day's work
Program Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Adelphi, MDDecember 21, 2016
-Working towards awarding students scholarships that will pay towards tuition
-Learned PeopleSoft system
-Great co-workers
-Not able to award/grant students' scholarships
-Helping students to further their education without having to pay out-of-pocket
Pros
Award students' scholarships that will be applied towards their education
Cons
Not able to award all students scholarships
UMUC to me
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Adelphi, MDNovember 1, 2016
Is a great example of global community. I love coming to work and working alongside coworkers from across the world. We all were the same and there was always a sense of pride that we are number one and competitive.

We each worked to help one another succeed. Through job training and celebrating accomplishments at work and in our personal lives. This community of excellence showed you how to press on even in times of imperfection, there was a lesson to make you better.
Pros
Consistency
Cons
Long commute to work
Outstanding mission, visionary leaders
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Adelphi, MDNovember 26, 2016
UMUC is an extremely fast moving and innovative university unlike any you've ever experienced. We really do put students first. There are opportunities to collaborate across work streams and the staff and faculty are very, very smart with few egos.
Pros
Mission, collegiality, tuition remission, ability to impact lives, accountability
Cons
high turnover
Easy job but management makes it hard
Full time Salary - 25,000 yearly (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21201October 9, 2016
This job isn't hard but they do make it difficult to work at times. They dictate when you use your leave and they want to work your harder then necessary. There are always new rules and or modifications to rules that have been put in place forever but again the job isn't hard.Upper management always has a new rule change for uniform policy and at times it can be daunting.
Pros
very loose, free time
Cons
management sucks, working weekends, standing on corners
Great Place to work
Project Manager Associate (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDDecember 27, 2016
Great work life balance, the university is sensitive to the needs of working adult who have families. The days off alone make the benefits great, but the state plans provide comprehensive insurance coverage. There are also many discount for employees in different areas.
Pros
Great leave
Cons
Developing culture of listening to the little guy.
As a graduate student...
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDOctober 6, 2016
I found that the business and administration offices could most definitely improve their operating procedures. Many times I found it very difficult to get a straight and clear response on issues concerning payment. In addition, payments were at times delayed without notice. I would only find out about issues after the delay and after inquiring with the offices. Other than that, no real issues otherwise.
great school to get a degree of quality
Research and Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDDecember 19, 2016
I liked this school alot, but I spent alot of time avoiding the "school's culture", I just wasn't interested in that party seen. Still the classes are good and you get what your pay for a UMD.
Pros
good school, lots of colleges to choose from
Cons
issues with some professors having language barriers.
Fun Place to work
Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Adelphi, MDSeptember 26, 2016
This was a good place to work at. The work culture and the Ethics are good. The Organization cares for its employees and I would recommend anyone to work there. They have good benefits that most people are looking for like 401k health insurance and tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Very good place to work.
Cons
Nothing bad to say, Growth as an employee is slow.

Want to know more about University of Maryland University College?

Ask a question
Fun working place with a variety of foods.
member (Former Employee) –  College Park, MD 20742August 12, 2016
A typical day at South campus Dining was coming in on time and immediately taking your break, or an hour later. I learned how to move quickly when there would be a long line of college students. The management was approachable and professional when delegating tasks, except staff rotation was not done often enough. Work environment was pleasant.
Pros
Good amount of time for breaks and free meal per shift
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun workplace and great environment to learn
Junior Cyber Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Adelphi, MDDecember 20, 2016
UMUC is first of all a great place to study and plan for the future. It is a fun workplace and environment to work in. People are nice, respectful, and mainly focus to their job. They are always ready to provide help on any subject matter.
Very Comfortable Work Place
Faculty Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDOctober 19, 2016
Working at UMCP is as much a learning experience as it is a work experience. Yes you perform research and sometimes the tasks can be monotonous or tedius but most of the time you are learning something new and people are encouraging you to branch out and improve.
Dedicated to staff training and advancement with very good incentives.
Residential Rehabilitation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 26, 2016
My typical day at work was providing support to assigned clients and making sure of their safety. In my years of working at UMMC Psych Department, I learnt a lot about the individuals served, and was timely with all documentations as expected. I had a great team players as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when one of the individuals becomes non-compliant with prescribed medications, and the most enjoyable part is when you assist with the individuals achieving their ultimate goal of an independent living with very minimal supervision
Pros
Sense of fulfilment
Typical day at work!
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDSeptember 15, 2016
At work, I have to be very detail oriented. The lab and office work are very complementary and require a lot of team work, calculations and usage f chemistry and biological principles to be successful. The hardest part is to avoid mistakes and get great data.
Pros
Ice cream treat
Cons
long hours standing
Positive place to work and learn
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDAugust 12, 2016
Great place to work and learn. Supervisors are most helpful. Support staff go out of their way to provide excellent support service so that time is minimized and quality is taken for granted since each person on the team acts so responsibly.

Overall rating is *****
Pros
Respect for professors and students are eager to learn.
Cons
productive and fun place to work in
Linux Administrator (Former Employee) –  Adelphi, MDSeptember 26, 2016
great work place with wonderful colleagues but. very relaxing, vacation great opportunity to work and study.Management is poor and thus make it difficult for lower level employees to function effectively
Pros
free lunches
Cons
little room for growth
Great Opportunity
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDNovember 3, 2016
Work as a graduate assistant and teaching assistant in the department of operations and IT. under the academic director. Plenty of opportunity to learn. Flexibility to work at own pace while adhering to deadlines.
Amazing opportunity
Child Development Clinic, Volunteer Clinician (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 18, 2017
Volunteer work with developmentally disable children. Extremely rewarding and a great experience. The people are fantastic and the director of operations is a wonderful guy.
Good Culture and Nice Coworkers
IT Systems Programmer (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDAugust 4, 2016
Every day where I work is different. There is always something new to take care of or do. Although students can be a little hard to work with they can also be your assets. I've hired students to take on some of my workload and may of them turn out to be amazing workers. I highly recommend this place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Maryland University College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2