University of Massachusetts Amherst Employee Reviews

Welcoming and friendly work environement
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAFebruary 9, 2017
Always someone on hand that is willing to help. Comfortable work place where extensive research is done on a daily basis.
Good learning environment with enjoyable work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAFebruary 6, 2017
Editing scientific papers was a valuable and enjoyable experience. Though it was only for college credit rather than compensation, I gained a lot from my experience as a peer editor and teaching assistant at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. During a typical day at work, the professor I was assigned to would disperse that week's writing assignment to the group of TAs, as well as the number of assignments written by the students in the class. He would then explain what his goals were in terms of the assignment and what he wanted us to focus on in our grading. Throughout the course of the semester, I reviewed and edited many students' work, and had the chance to evaluate my own work more critically because of it.

Through this working experience, I learned more about time management, having a careful eye, and respecting others' work. One of the hardest parts of the job for me was not rewriting others' work based on how I would do it myself. I learned how important it is to respect the intentions and the words of another writer and not try to alter their writing to suit my own needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the different things these young psychologically-minded people were interested in. I got information on so many things I'd never known about previously. Additionally, I really enjoyed getting to read other students' writing, as reading is one of my favorite things to do!
Pros
Laidback work atmosphere, get to work from home, interesting reading material
Cons
Unpaid (for college credit), sometimes tedious
terrible place to work
Blue Wall Employee (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAFebruary 2, 2017
Typical day at work was being expected to do your job as well as everyone else's all while being treated very badly by the supervising staff.
Pros
free meal
overall its a great place to work
Carpenter/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 27, 2017
a typical day at work is not at all typical,Every single day there is something different to do or to learn and its quite challenging.The management is very easy to work with and the work place culture is laid back, I would say the hardest part of the job is getting to know the campus and all the different buildings and needs of the students.
however the most enjoyable part is there is a lot of positivity in the workplace its a fun and exciting place to work
Pros
steady long term work
Cons
the commute
Resource Economics Department
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 28, 2016
Great university. Faculty are very friendly and dedicated, professors are extremely knowledgable. Located in beautiful Amherst Massachusetts. Would highly recommend.
It is a great place.
Biomechanics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 16, 2016
Definitely go to this school. I really had a great time going there and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone that is applying to college right now.
great
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 16, 2016
good place to study and learn. an interdisciplinary and collaborative environment where my polymer science and engineering
expertise is utilized
Stable and enjoyable place to work
Academic Advisor, College of Engineering (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 4, 2016
Typical day varies from week to week.
I've learned a lot about coworker management
Data analytics
My coworkers are my most enjoyable part of the job
Great learning experience
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 17, 2016
At UMass Amherst I got the opportunity to educate young adults about how to cope with everyday life. The location was not great for me, because I love the city. On the other hand living in the suburbs near farms was a great experience.
Great Atmosphere for Serving in a Dining Hall
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 14, 2016
The job is a great job for students, as they are always appreciated in students working there. The atmosphere is great, workers love the effort they put to make food for students and students love the variety and quality of food we serve.
Pros
Free meals as you work in a dining hall.
Great workplace
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 21, 2016
Days went by fast with great environment, great colleagues and nice campus.
cold in winter. highly skilled people work there with lots of facilities and equipment
Research Assistant at UMass
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 13, 2016
While as a undergraduate student at UMass Amherst, I began a volunteer independent study in a graduate research laboratory. It was one of the most rewarding decisions I have made since I realized my love for the laboratory environment and culture.
Student
Advanced Degree Student (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 4, 2016
excellent cirrculum, great professor, flexible classes. I am learning so much, especially in the orgnanic farming program
Great environment to work in.
Research Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 25, 2016
Professors are really there to help you. Got a lot to learn from my 3 years at UMass.
Thought me management of time, working independently and in a team.
Great research medium
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAApril 6, 2016
University of Massachusetts Amherst has excellent Chemistry PhD program. It is a perfect research medium with abundant research facilities with the help of Polymer Science and Engineering Department.
OK place to work as a graduate assistant
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 30, 2016
The university could be doing a better job with supporting their graduate students, however, the individual faculty and staff within departments are lovely to work with.
Great School
Student (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 27, 2016
The University of Massachusetts Amherst brings out the ingenuity of its students by assigning challenging projects that require innovative solutions
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 18, 2016
Friendly environment where you build the ability to work in teams and also learn skills that will use at most jobs.
Management works alongside employees
Umass Amherst provides many job opportunities for students.
Cooking Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 15, 2016
jobs include bus drivers, library assistant, dining hall assistant and tutor. So students can get experience and learn more about the campus. But the hardest part of the job is that when I worked at dining hall, I have stand for 4 hours, that's so tired.
Has it's ups and Downs
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 13, 2016
If Upper Management can work on improving their communication and people skills it would trickle down the ranks and make the environment a lot more pleasant place to work
Pros
Free meals, good staff
Cons
Poor Communication, lack of professionalism amongst the higher managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Massachusetts Amherst. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5