University of Massachusetts Medical School Employee Reviews in United States

yes ,it is a productive and fun workplace with many science lecture happening every week.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 4, 2016

As an academic health sciences leader, the national reputation for groundbreaking education, research and health care, provides intellectual and professional challenges that can advance your life’s work to new heights.
Pros
nice reasearh culture
Cons
Great place to work and learn
Clinical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 29, 2015
I work as Clinical Research Assistant at UMASS. I'm currently on multiple studies that involve me to work directly with patients in the hospital. Aside from my internship, working at UMASS has given me much experience when it comes to public health and health care. Not only have I had the opportunity to work directly with people, I have also worked on the research side to transcribe and analyze data. UMASS is a learning community where I am surrounded by dozens of doctors and researchers which truly makes me job enjoyable. There are always people willing to help and jump on board with new studies throughout my department. While working on different studies can sometimes be overwhelming, I know there's always someone willing to help.
Pros
Multitude of doctors, researchers and health educators
Cons
Can sometimes be fast-paced because of large numbers of studies
It's fun to stay there for several years, but not too long.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 12, 2015
UMass medical school has some good research ongoing. But it is a very bureaucratic institute and doesn't have much room for career advancement.
Good place to work, no job security
Senior Desktop Engineer (Former Employee) –  worcester, maJune 11, 2015
Benefits are great
40 hours per week
Management is in flex and unappreciative
low raises
I got apple certified there
not a lot of training
co-workers are mostly great
unfair work environment, favoritism
anon (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 10, 2015
Chancellor's office is very unfair and uncomfortable work environment, inappropriate behavior for that level. Chancellor Chief of Staff is inexperienced, immature and should not be in a management level role. Favoritism, bonuses and pay increases only to top level management.
benefits
Cons
chief of staff and med school management
Great place for scientific research
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 21, 2016
It is a pure research center for basic sciences and medical education. It has a very healthy scientific environment and a well-rounded supporting system. Scientists at UMASS Medical school are respected.
Provided Owners Representative Services under MGL legislation for $400M bioscience lab, garage and power pland expansion
Project Representative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 23, 2015
Employed by URS, I was hired to provide legislatively required oversight services on this very interesting assignment as a project representative for Mass Life "Services Center which provided $90M in funding for the $400M Albert Sherman Biosciences laboratory at the University of MA campus in Worcester MA. Provided oversight of design, construction and closeout for the science center, garage and power plant expansion working with 2 CM at risk firms. Provided monthly, quarterly and annual reports to my client and met with client on a quarterly basis.
Pros
Firms used inovative techniques in the construction process, prefabrication of components off site, use of BIM, 3D modeling, iPads with Blue Beam, etc
Cons
great place to work and learn
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 24, 2015
I learned so much doing science there, fierce competition , a great place to learn and do cutting edge science. coworkers and personel were just great and very nice.
Pros
learned a lot and was very happy working there
Good Place To Start
Campus Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 5, 2016
I enjoyed working here greatly but it was time to move on and away from this type of work. I wanted to do something different while I am still young and still have time to.
Equal opportunity and diverse envirnment
Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 16, 2015
Many established scientists with helpful core facilities. Great place for researchers to expand field and develop career.
UMass Medical
Research Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 15, 2012
The benefits you receive as an employee are good: health insurance, retirement. The salary for new researchers ensures that you will struggle. Budget cuts are an ever looming threat. Job insecurity due to shrinking budgets is not shared amongst different hierachal levels of the organization.
Management is amenable to flexibility in one's schedule. Co-workers are hard working and helpful.
The best part of the job knowing your effort has a tangible and positive impact on local populations.
Pros
meaningful work
Cons
salary
Amazing environment with much to learn and room to grow!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 16, 2014
During my summer positions with UMass, I learned on an exponential level with professors who are truly passionate about their lines of work. The hours were flexible depending on my personal life creating and optimal work-life balance.

The hardest part of the job was remaining patient with the tedious amount of work involved in research; the output is sometimes not visible for years at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the small concepts behind the human anatomy which overall plays a magnanimous role in our functions.
Pros
amazing learning opportunities
Cons
tedious work
Equal Opportunity Workplace
HR Talent Associate (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MANovember 17, 2014
Overall rating is excellent, Job Work/Life Balance is the most important aspect of finding a great company. The Compensation and Benefits are outstanding.
Diverse culture
Project Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 6, 2014
A great place to work. Advancement is limited.

I have learned a lot about project management and how it is so important in all facets of work and personal daily life.
Pros
interesting project work
Cons
limited advancement opportunity
Busy and Productive enviroment
Interim Assistant to Dean of Undergraduate (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 17, 2014
I enjoy working here at the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education, I find it challenging and a positive learning experience every day.

I start each morning looking at calendar and responding to emails and completing tasks.

Management here is great very positive and helpful

Co-workers and very suportive and always glad to help or assist in any situation

What I find somewhat difficult at firts was the calendar when you are assistant to the Dean its very difficult to accomodate her meetings but know as I work with calendar and talk about concerns the calendar has become more comfterable to work with.

I enjoy every aspect of my job, it's a different thing every day, from setting up for mini retreats, editing of documents and creating of spreadsheets and creating of charts I really enjoy what I do.
Pros
the atmosphere
Cons
no overtime
Support from coworkers, but none from management or HR
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 23, 2014
Very stressful environment due to heavy workloads because employees are constantly resigning. Employees resigning because there is no support from supervisors or HR. HR and supervisors are also manipulative and condescending. Bullying and threats of termination.
Pros
lots of benefits choices
Cons
state pension so no social security credits, miserable environment, nonsupportive
Started out good, then went downhill
Project support (Current Employee) –  worcesterAugust 21, 2013
I was hired in 2012 and it started great. then the dept mgr retired, and then i was subjected to harassment and intimidation. HR sucked, no help at all. Now I just stay quiet, and don't offer any new ideas to improve, because management knows everything and your nothing but pond scum to them.

There's also constant fear of being laid off, several people were let go earlier this year, and more continue, because we always hear about budget problems with the new building opening up earlier this year. Gobs of money are spent on functions, meetings in conference rooms, business travel allowed for a chosen few.

I am currently looking for another job, this is really a sad place to work.
Cons
no management support; constant degarading from management
The work enviroment and professional team was excellent
Early Intervention Developmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 17, 2013
My work day started at the office but not necessarily, I could also go directly to the scheduled visits which could be at the hospitals, schools, Day Cares or homes. I used to visit children with developmental delays who previously had been screened and qualified to the program. I learned a lot about children development and to respect each child’s pace to grow.
We worked as a team and also individually, it was an interdisciplinary team composed of nurses, psychologists, educators, physical and occupational therapists.
The hardiest part of the job was the driving during the bad weather, besides that, the job was a joy, a stress-free job, a pleasant activity.
I enjoyed every phase of my job, so much that I used to tell my supervisor that it was so wonderful to receive a salary for “just playing" since we offered that therapy to children through play setting.
Pros
very flexible schedules
Cons
to much driving
Project Coordinator role
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Commonwealth Medicine, Shrewsbury, MANovember 8, 2013
Most enjoyable part of my job is the people I interact with, my coworkers who are my mentors as well as the phone conversations I have daily with social workers, mental health counselors, clinicians. I learn new things talking with people everyday. I would like to see more opportunity for growth within my own job.

The day to day job is diverse, I go from helping people with technical issues they are having with our website to discussing why and what they need to do to complete our training and exam to administrative work so it can be the same yet different each day.
Pros
nice campus, great for walking outsides and convenient
Cons
would be the work life in a cube
Very Busy Office with very few people to do the work
HR Associate/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 1, 2015
I loved my job, I enjoyed meeting the new people. I loved all my Co-workers, we all got along and did lots of things together.
Pros
Convenient, Comfortable work place
Cons
no breaks, no flex time and no pay increases