University of Massachusetts Medical School Employee Reviews

formerly good, not anymore, toxic environment
former administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  surgery departmentDecember 31, 2016
Good place to start a career, but unfortunatelly they don't have real people who are willing to help you learn, it used to be a great place, not anymore. You'll have to be lucky enough to work with one. The agency is a fast-growing one, but unfortunatelly managent is not-well selected making the working environment too hostile and an un-happy place to come to work on an everyday basis. They need to stop and re-think anout their employees well-being ingenersl, as we're the heart of the agency, without us they wouldn't be in the position in where they're now. It took me almost 16 years to make it to a decent salary, but with no place to grow withing the same department.
Pros
well-known medical facility, retirement plan, some health benefits
Cons
poor-un-fair, greety, un-experienced, non-well cultural-oriented, for the most part "Management"
Best 10 years of my life
Counsel disabilities intellectuals' family (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MADecember 2, 2016
Great experience with great leadership people that are willing to take the company to a different level of education and proactive into helping the Mass Health members community every day.
Pros
Get to help as many many members as possible
Cons
Long commute
Review
Eligibility specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MANovember 22, 2016
Management is not supportive of staff. Bonuses seem more important than staff.
Work-life balance was good when I worked there. Management tends to pit staff against one another, creating a negative energy.
Pros
free coffee and tea, flexible work options
Cons
disconnect between staff and management
Great benefits
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 1, 2016
I think that UMMS is a very diversified place to work. However they over work the employeess and do not give them the money they deserve.
Cons
no room for growth, low salary pay
Excellent
IT Manager/ Global Health (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 14, 2016
UMass Medical School is an institution that is unique in that on any given day you will experience something new, exciting, and challenging. You'll be working with incredibly gifted, smart, and talented people.
Pros
Good work, open, diverse
Cons
lower salaries
Toxic work environment
Hospitalist (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 28, 2016
Toxic work environment. Physicians are overworked. Workplace politics. Unreasonable demands. Tension between departments. Pay about 10% less than nearby hospitals.
Great place to do science and collaborate
Ph.D. Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 21, 2016
The science is cutting edge, particularly in the field or RNA. There is great encouragement and facilitation of collaboration.
Great place for scientific research
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 21, 2016
It is a pure research center for basic sciences and medical education. It has a very healthy scientific environment and a well-rounded supporting system. Scientists at UMASS Medical school are respected.
Good people; interesting, beneficial work.
Software Engineer/Mathematician Biomedical Imaging (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 3, 2016
Colleagues were very good to work with.
Work was challenging and interesting.
Work benefited the general public by improving PET Scanning for breast cancer detection .
Pros
Colleagues. Content of work. Work was benficial to society.
Cons
Modest pay.
yes ,it is a productive and fun workplace with many science lecture happening every week.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 4, 2016

As an academic health sciences leader, the national reputation for groundbreaking education, research and health care, provides intellectual and professional challenges that can advance your life’s work to new heights.
Pros
nice reasearh culture
Good Place To Start
Campus Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 5, 2016
I enjoyed working here greatly but it was time to move on and away from this type of work. I wanted to do something different while I am still young and still have time to.
Great place to work and learn
Clinical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 29, 2015
I work as Clinical Research Assistant at UMASS. I'm currently on multiple studies that involve me to work directly with patients in the hospital. Aside from my internship, working at UMASS has given me much experience when it comes to public health and health care. Not only have I had the opportunity to work directly with people, I have also worked on the research side to transcribe and analyze data. UMASS is a learning community where I am surrounded by dozens of doctors and researchers which truly makes me job enjoyable. There are always people willing to help and jump on board with new studies throughout my department. While working on different studies can sometimes be overwhelming, I know there's always someone willing to help.
Pros
Multitude of doctors, researchers and health educators
Cons
Can sometimes be fast-paced because of large numbers of studies
It's fun to stay there for several years, but not too long.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 12, 2015
UMass medical school has some good research ongoing. But it is a very bureaucratic institute and doesn't have much room for career advancement.
great place to work and learn
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 24, 2015
I learned so much doing science there, fierce competition , a great place to learn and do cutting edge science. coworkers and personel were just great and very nice.
Pros
learned a lot and was very happy working there
Cons
Provided Owners Representative Services under MGL legislation for $400M bioscience lab, garage and power pland expansion
Project Representative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 23, 2015
Employed by URS, I was hired to provide legislatively required oversight services on this very interesting assignment as a project representative for Mass Life "Services Center which provided $90M in funding for the $400M Albert Sherman Biosciences laboratory at the University of MA campus in Worcester MA. Provided oversight of design, construction and closeout for the science center, garage and power plant expansion working with 2 CM at risk firms. Provided monthly, quarterly and annual reports to my client and met with client on a quarterly basis.
Pros
Firms used inovative techniques in the construction process, prefabrication of components off site, use of BIM, 3D modeling, iPads with Blue Beam, etc
Cons
Equal opportunity and diverse envirnment
Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 16, 2015
Many established scientists with helpful core facilities. Great place for researchers to expand field and develop career.
Good place to work, no job security
Senior Desktop Engineer (Former Employee) –  worcester, maJune 11, 2015
Benefits are great
40 hours per week
Management is in flex and unappreciative
low raises
I got apple certified there
not a lot of training
co-workers are mostly great
unfair work environment, favoritism
anon (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 10, 2015
Chancellor's office is very unfair and uncomfortable work environment, inappropriate behavior for that level. Chancellor Chief of Staff is inexperienced, immature and should not be in a management level role. Favoritism, bonuses and pay increases only to top level management.
benefits
Cons
chief of staff and med school management
Very Busy Office with very few people to do the work
HR Associate/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 1, 2015
I loved my job, I enjoyed meeting the new people. I loved all my Co-workers, we all got along and did lots of things together.
Pros
Convenient, Comfortable work place
Cons
no breaks, no flex time and no pay increases
Great opportunity to learn new technical skills
Research Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 12, 2015
Daily tasks included maintaining fly stocks, completing genetic crosses and microscopy. I enjoyed learning new techniques and understanding the neurophysiology of drosophila.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Massachusetts Medical School. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Massachusetts Medical School Reviews by Location