University of Massachusetts Medical School Employee Reviews

Great place to work and learn
Clinical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 29, 2015
I work as Clinical Research Assistant at UMASS. I'm currently on multiple studies that involve me to work directly with patients in the hospital. Aside from my internship, working at UMASS has given me much experience when it comes to public health and health care. Not only have I had the opportunity to work directly with people, I have also worked on the research side to transcribe and analyze data. UMASS is a learning community where I am surrounded by dozens of doctors and researchers which truly makes me job enjoyable. There are always people willing to help and jump on board with new studies throughout my department. While working on different studies can sometimes be overwhelming, I know there's always someone willing to help.
Pros
Multitude of doctors, researchers and health educators
Cons
Can sometimes be fast-paced because of large numbers of studies
It's fun to stay there for several years, but not too long.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 12, 2015
UMass medical school has some good research ongoing. But it is a very bureaucratic institute and doesn't have much room for career advancement.
great place to work and learn
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 24, 2015
I learned so much doing science there, fierce competition , a great place to learn and do cutting edge science. coworkers and personel were just great and very nice.
Pros
learned a lot and was very happy working there
Cons
Provided Owners Representative Services under MGL legislation for $400M bioscience lab, garage and power pland expansion
Project Representative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 23, 2015
Employed by URS, I was hired to provide legislatively required oversight services on this very interesting assignment as a project representative for Mass Life "Services Center which provided $90M in funding for the $400M Albert Sherman Biosciences laboratory at the University of MA campus in Worcester MA. Provided oversight of design, construction and closeout for the science center, garage and power plant expansion working with 2 CM at risk firms. Provided monthly, quarterly and annual reports to my client and met with client on a quarterly basis.
Pros
Firms used inovative techniques in the construction process, prefabrication of components off site, use of BIM, 3D modeling, iPads with Blue Beam, etc
Cons
Equal opportunity and diverse envirnment
Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 16, 2015
Many established scientists with helpful core facilities. Great place for researchers to expand field and develop career.
Good place to work, no job security
Senior Desktop Engineer (Former Employee) –  worcester, maJune 11, 2015
Benefits are great
40 hours per week
Management is in flex and unappreciative
low raises
I got apple certified there
not a lot of training
co-workers are mostly great
unfair work environment, favoritism
anon (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 10, 2015
Chancellor's office is very unfair and uncomfortable work environment, inappropriate behavior for that level. Chancellor Chief of Staff is inexperienced, immature and should not be in a management level role. Favoritism, bonuses and pay increases only to top level management.
benefits
Cons
chief of staff and med school management
Very Busy Office with very few people to do the work
HR Associate/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 1, 2015
I loved my job, I enjoyed meeting the new people. I loved all my Co-workers, we all got along and did lots of things together.
Pros
Convenient, Comfortable work place
Cons
no breaks, no flex time and no pay increases
Great opportunity to learn new technical skills
Research Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 12, 2015
Daily tasks included maintaining fly stocks, completing genetic crosses and microscopy. I enjoyed learning new techniques and understanding the neurophysiology of drosophila.
Phenomenal experience
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 8, 2015
• Led a team of 4 research staff, volunteers and medical students across a $1 million dollar NIMH funded cohort study, Hormones and Brain Imaging in Postpartum Depression, in compliance with UMMS IRB, GCP and NIH SOPs.
• Administered structured mental health interviews using SCID, HRDS, HRAS, EPDS, Likeart, PROMIS sleep scales; make subjective and objective patient assessments, perform venipuncture, buccal cell DNA sample, dipstick urine sample analysis and collect data from self-reported questionnaires
great and supportive environment
Graduate student (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 14, 2015
I was here for graduate school. Had great mentors and a supportive graduate school management.
Pros
excellent training
Cons
living in worcester
DES
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MA.December 21, 2014
No Support from Management, too much favoritism with management! Only management favorites move up! Too much office confrontation between employees, reminded me of high school.
Pros
no nights or weekends
Cons
extremely poor work environment
Good first job.
Research Technician I (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 17, 2014
Good place to work, people are nice and it is a focused environment. Pay could be better. I would recommend a job here to a friend that just graduated from their undergraduate program.
Amazing environment with much to learn and room to grow!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 16, 2014
During my summer positions with UMass, I learned on an exponential level with professors who are truly passionate about their lines of work. The hours were flexible depending on my personal life creating and optimal work-life balance.

The hardest part of the job was remaining patient with the tedious amount of work involved in research; the output is sometimes not visible for years at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the small concepts behind the human anatomy which overall plays a magnanimous role in our functions.
Pros
amazing learning opportunities
Cons
tedious work
Equal Opportunity Workplace
HR Talent Associate (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MANovember 17, 2014
Overall rating is excellent, Job Work/Life Balance is the most important aspect of finding a great company. The Compensation and Benefits are outstanding.
Diverse culture
Project Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 6, 2014
A great place to work. Advancement is limited.

I have learned a lot about project management and how it is so important in all facets of work and personal daily life.
Pros
interesting project work
Cons
limited advancement opportunity
Little room for collaboration
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 30, 2014
Little room for collaboration in my department. I have worked in this department for 2 years and have not been able to productively work on anything innovative.
Multi-faceted work environment
Director, Project Management & Implementation (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MASeptember 23, 2014
Dynamic environment; growth opportunities; culture a nice blend of academic, research and public service orientations
Great Research Facility
PhD Student (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 21, 2014
Great school dedicated to advancing scientific research
Very knowledgeable and helpful group of scientists
Good
Department of Disability Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJuly 23, 2014
Okay place to work. Worked as temp for almost two years.Low advancement, good culture, okay pay, great managers.