University of Massachusetts Medical School

University of Massachusetts Medical School Employer Reviews

Great Co-workers
Research Technician (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 17, 2014
UMASS Medical is a great place to work at with a variety of different departments. I went to school for GIS and I am able to utilize my skills here in their Geography/Research department. The co-workers here are great and easy to get along with.
Excellent experience
Research Associate (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: great working environment
Cons: ended as soon as i graduated college
I had a great time working for Umass Med School.
My typical day consisted of culturing mammalian cells, western blotting, keeping up with cGMPs and maintaining the laboratory equipment as well as a clean, organized and suitable environment for research.

Worked with a team and independently on projects and presented data and current literature.

The – more... most enjoyable part was definitely analyzing the results and interpreting the data collected. It gave me a sense of accomplishment and importance. Another great part was my ideas were heard and i was able to contribute different experimental ideas and changes to the overall research project. – less
Generally a good place to work
Manager, Planning and CAFM Services (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 22, 2014
If they had a more established career advancement policy, it is unlikely that I would have left.
Great organization
Research Fellow (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 16, 2014
Learnt about budgeting, p&l analysis, marketing strategies to grow business.
The work enviroment and professional team was excellent
Early Intervention Developmental Specialist (Former Employee), Worcester, MADecember 17, 2013
Pros: very flexible schedules
Cons: to much driving
My work day started at the office but not necessarily, I could also go directly to the scheduled visits which could be at the hospitals, schools, Day Cares or homes. I used to visit children with developmental delays who previously had been screened and qualified to the program. I learned a lot about children development and to respect each child’s – more... pace to grow.
We worked as a team and also individually, it was an interdisciplinary team composed of nurses, psychologists, educators, physical and occupational therapists.
The hardiest part of the job was the driving during the bad weather, besides that, the job was a joy, a stress-free job, a pleasant activity.
I enjoyed every phase of my job, so much that I used to tell my supervisor that it was so wonderful to receive a salary for “just playing" since we offered that therapy to children through play setting. – less
Project Coordinator role
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Commonwealth Medicine, Shrewsbury, MANovember 8, 2013
Pros: nice campus, great for walking outsides and convenient
Cons: would be the work life in a cube
Most enjoyable part of my job is the people I interact with, my coworkers who are my mentors as well as the phone conversations I have daily with social workers, mental health counselors, clinicians. I learn new things talking with people everyday. I would like to see more opportunity for growth within my own job.

The day to day job is diverse, I go – more... from helping people with technical issues they are having with our website to discussing why and what they need to do to complete our training and exam to administrative work so it can be the same yet different each day. – less
A nice medical school
PhD student (Current Employee), Worcester, MAOctober 17, 2013
UMASS Medical School is a nice place to work in with a lot of nice people to work with. For me particularly, there are a lot of well-known professors for research and doctors in the hospital.
This was a wonderful and professional place to work
Secretary, Department of Physiology (Former Employee), Worcester, MAOctober 16, 2013
I loved working with the professional research staff. I was motivated and worked a lot on my own
Contract driven employer focused on serving public programs
Senior Director (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, MAOctober 2, 2013
Supports the healthcare initiative for the underserved population in Massachusetts

Contracts and procurement education
It is just OK
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Worcester, MASeptember 12, 2013
Nice city to live. But the HR is not user friendly. Nobody care about the postdoc: no benefit, low pay, and others.
Started out good, then went downhill
Project support (Current Employee), worcesterAugust 21, 2013
Cons: no management support; constant degarading from management
I was hired in 2012 and it started great. then the dept mgr retired, and then i was subjected to harassment and intimidation. HR sucked, no help at all. Now I just stay quiet, and don't offer any new ideas to improve, because management knows everything and your nothing but pond scum to them.

There's also constant fear of being laid off, several people – more... were let go earlier this year, and more continue, because we always hear about budget problems with the new building opening up earlier this year. Gobs of money are spent on functions, meetings in conference rooms, business travel allowed for a chosen few.

I am currently looking for another job, this is really a sad place to work. – less
Productive workplace with friendly coworkers
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 15, 2013
Pros: friendly and helpful coworkers
My typical day began at 8:00 am before my coworkers arrived and ended around 5 pm. I began my day by completing any unfinished tasks from the previous day or any other priority tasks that my coworker had asked me to complete. I was working with a PhD student at University of Massachusetts Medical School. learned various assays and techniques from this – more... lab technician job. I have experience with performing assays and recording data from projects at school. The hardest part of the job was working with mice for the first time. Later, I learned techniques on how to handle them and it became second nature to me. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I learned something new almost everyday. – less
Great programs for undergraduate students
Summer Research Associate (Former Employee), Worcester, MAFebruary 18, 2013
Spent three years working in one of the labs, where I learned a lot of different techniques and initiated my passion for science
My job can be quite challenging at times but always a great learning environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: co-workers; state retirement plan; patient/family interactions/education
Cons: salary
My day starts out at the computer, updating the Neuro ICU census. From there, depending on the day I can be performing Transcranial Doppler blood flow studies on ICU patients to attending meetings. I am responsible for subject enrollment and follow up in all research studies, so can be in the ICU recruiting or on the phone conducting follow up interviews – more... with discharged subjects. I also input research related data into one of several databases, daily. I work closely with our institution's Internal Review Board to assure compliance with all ongoing research studies.

My manager/Neurointensivist is very demanding and can be quite harsh at times. My co-workers are a group of 3 MD's, all Neurointensivists. I do, however, share office space with 2 other Nurse Research Coordinators. We work for different groups, but have a great working relationship.

The hardest part of my job is enduring the berading my manager can inflict on me. But, the most enjoyable part of my job is receiving the highest of compliments, when I complete a task to her satisfaction. Also, anytime I learn something new in either the clinical or research arena is a plus for me. – less
Repetitive yet interesting
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee), Worcester, MAOctober 15, 2012
Work seems very repetitive but holds your interest. Job seems suitable for people looking to begin a career in research.
Great
Research Technician (Former Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 20, 2012
Working at the university of massachusetts medical school was great!
UMass Medical
Research Coordinator I (Current Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 15, 2012
Pros: meaningful work
Cons: salary
The benefits you receive as an employee are good: health insurance, retirement. The salary for new researchers ensures that you will struggle. Budget cuts are an ever looming threat. Job insecurity due to shrinking budgets is not shared amongst different hierachal levels of the organization.
Management is amenable to flexibility in one's schedule. Co-workers – more... are hard working and helpful.
The best part of the job knowing your effort has a tangible and positive impact on local populations. – less
Review
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Dept of CorrectionAugust 5, 2012
Pros: autonomy and relative flexability
Cons: workplace dramatics and staff conflicts can be stressful
I am currently a registered nurse working for the Dept of
Corrections under UMass Medical School. It is not a job for the feint of heart, but if you can get past the rigidity of working within a correctional environment, it is actually a wonderful job, with much autonomy. You need to think quickly on your feet at times, and there is opportunity for – more... learning, but much is self-directed. You will get out of this job what you put in. Overall, I am a very satisfied employee of UMass. – less

Lianne – November 6, 2012

I am an LPN and have applied several times at both Norfolk and Bridgewater. I worked with prisoners back in the 70's at Pondville Hospital. I dont get hired even though my interviews seem to go so well. I hope being 59 is not the problem because I am healthy and strong and capable of working many more years. Just need a chance to start.

Exciting place to work
Research Data Analyst (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJuly 19, 2012
worked with a great team
management demanding for results but very understanding
University of Mafia
Lab worker (Former Employee), Jamaica Plain, MAJune 20, 2012
Cut-throat atmosphere. Despite the public PC image, there is still an old guard conservative fascist attitude shared and indulged by Christian and Muslim employees. Gays and atheists are not welcome in the department that I worked for. Too much masonic mafia graft in the form of double standards and constitutional violations.