University of Massachusetts Medical School Employee Reviews

My job can be quite challenging at times but always a great learning environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 11, 2013
My day starts out at the computer, updating the Neuro ICU census. From there, depending on the day I can be performing Transcranial Doppler blood flow studies on ICU patients to attending meetings. I am responsible for subject enrollment and follow up in all research studies, so can be in the ICU recruiting or on the phone conducting follow up interviews with discharged subjects. I also input research related data into one of several databases, daily. I work closely with our institution's Internal Review Board to assure compliance with all ongoing research studies.

My manager/Neurointensivist is very demanding and can be quite harsh at times. My co-workers are a group of 3 MD's, all Neurointensivists. I do, however, share office space with 2 other Nurse Research Coordinators. We work for different groups, but have a great working relationship.

The hardest part of my job is enduring the berading my manager can inflict on me. But, the most enjoyable part of my job is receiving the highest of compliments, when I complete a task to her satisfaction. Also, anytime I learn something new in either the clinical or research arena is a plus for me.
Pros
co-workers; state retirement plan; patient/family interactions/education
Cons
salary
The work enviroment and professional team was excellent
Early Intervention Developmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 17, 2013
My work day started at the office but not necessarily, I could also go directly to the scheduled visits which could be at the hospitals, schools, Day Cares or homes. I used to visit children with developmental delays who previously had been screened and qualified to the program. I learned a lot about children development and to respect each child’s pace to grow.
We worked as a team and also individually, it was an interdisciplinary team composed of nurses, psychologists, educators, physical and occupational therapists.
The hardiest part of the job was the driving during the bad weather, besides that, the job was a joy, a stress-free job, a pleasant activity.
I enjoyed every phase of my job, so much that I used to tell my supervisor that it was so wonderful to receive a salary for “just playing" since we offered that therapy to children through play setting.
Pros
very flexible schedules
Cons
to much driving
Great place to work and learn
Clinical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 29, 2015
I work as Clinical Research Assistant at UMASS. I'm currently on multiple studies that involve me to work directly with patients in the hospital. Aside from my internship, working at UMASS has given me much experience when it comes to public health and health care. Not only have I had the opportunity to work directly with people, I have also worked on the research side to transcribe and analyze data. UMASS is a learning community where I am surrounded by dozens of doctors and researchers which truly makes me job enjoyable. There are always people willing to help and jump on board with new studies throughout my department. While working on different studies can sometimes be overwhelming, I know there's always someone willing to help.
Pros
Multitude of doctors, researchers and health educators
Cons
Can sometimes be fast-paced because of large numbers of studies
Busy and Productive enviroment
Interim Assistant to Dean of Undergraduate (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 17, 2014
I enjoy working here at the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education, I find it challenging and a positive learning experience every day.

I start each morning looking at calendar and responding to emails and completing tasks.

Management here is great very positive and helpful

Co-workers and very suportive and always glad to help or assist in any situation

What I find somewhat difficult at firts was the calendar when you are assistant to the Dean its very difficult to accomodate her meetings but know as I work with calendar and talk about concerns the calendar has become more comfterable to work with.

I enjoy every aspect of my job, it's a different thing every day, from setting up for mini retreats, editing of documents and creating of spreadsheets and creating of charts I really enjoy what I do.
Pros
the atmosphere
Cons
no overtime
Provided Owners Representative Services under MGL legislation for $400M bioscience lab, garage and power pland expansion
Project Representative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 23, 2015
Employed by URS, I was hired to provide legislatively required oversight services on this very interesting assignment as a project representative for Mass Life "Services Center which provided $90M in funding for the $400M Albert Sherman Biosciences laboratory at the University of MA campus in Worcester MA. Provided oversight of design, construction and closeout for the science center, garage and power plant expansion working with 2 CM at risk firms. Provided monthly, quarterly and annual reports to my client and met with client on a quarterly basis.
Pros
Firms used inovative techniques in the construction process, prefabrication of components off site, use of BIM, 3D modeling, iPads with Blue Beam, etc
Cons
Productive workplace with friendly coworkers
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 15, 2013
My typical day began at 8:00 am before my coworkers arrived and ended around 5 pm. I began my day by completing any unfinished tasks from the previous day or any other priority tasks that my coworker had asked me to complete. I was working with a PhD student at University of Massachusetts Medical School. learned various assays and techniques from this lab technician job. I have experience with performing assays and recording data from projects at school. The hardest part of the job was working with mice for the first time. Later, I learned techniques on how to handle them and it became second nature to me. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I learned something new almost everyday.
Pros
friendly and helpful coworkers
Started out good, then went downhill
Project support (Current Employee) –  worcesterAugust 21, 2013
I was hired in 2012 and it started great. then the dept mgr retired, and then i was subjected to harassment and intimidation. HR sucked, no help at all. Now I just stay quiet, and don't offer any new ideas to improve, because management knows everything and your nothing but pond scum to them.

There's also constant fear of being laid off, several people were let go earlier this year, and more continue, because we always hear about budget problems with the new building opening up earlier this year. Gobs of money are spent on functions, meetings in conference rooms, business travel allowed for a chosen few.

I am currently looking for another job, this is really a sad place to work.
Cons
no management support; constant degarading from management
Excellent experience
Research Associate (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 29, 2014
I had a great time working for Umass Med School.
My typical day consisted of culturing mammalian cells, western blotting, keeping up with cGMPs and maintaining the laboratory equipment as well as a clean, organized and suitable environment for research.

Worked with a team and independently on projects and presented data and current literature.

The most enjoyable part was definitely analyzing the results and interpreting the data collected. It gave me a sense of accomplishment and importance. Another great part was my ideas were heard and i was able to contribute different experimental ideas and changes to the overall research project.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
ended as soon as i graduated college
Project Coordinator role
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Commonwealth Medicine, Shrewsbury, MANovember 8, 2013
Most enjoyable part of my job is the people I interact with, my coworkers who are my mentors as well as the phone conversations I have daily with social workers, mental health counselors, clinicians. I learn new things talking with people everyday. I would like to see more opportunity for growth within my own job.

The day to day job is diverse, I go from helping people with technical issues they are having with our website to discussing why and what they need to do to complete our training and exam to administrative work so it can be the same yet different each day.
Pros
nice campus, great for walking outsides and convenient
Cons
would be the work life in a cube
Amazing environment with much to learn and room to grow!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 16, 2014
During my summer positions with UMass, I learned on an exponential level with professors who are truly passionate about their lines of work. The hours were flexible depending on my personal life creating and optimal work-life balance.

The hardest part of the job was remaining patient with the tedious amount of work involved in research; the output is sometimes not visible for years at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the small concepts behind the human anatomy which overall plays a magnanimous role in our functions.
Pros
amazing learning opportunities
Cons
tedious work
Review
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dept of CorrectionAugust 5, 2012
I am currently a registered nurse working for the Dept of
Corrections under UMass Medical School. It is not a job for the feint of heart, but if you can get past the rigidity of working within a correctional environment, it is actually a wonderful job, with much autonomy. You need to think quickly on your feet at times, and there is opportunity for learning, but much is self-directed. You will get out of this job what you put in. Overall, I am a very satisfied employee of UMass.
Pros
autonomy and relative flexability
Cons
workplace dramatics and staff conflicts can be stressful

Comment – November 6, 2012

I am an LPN and have applied several times at both Norfolk and Bridgewater. I worked with prisoners back in the 70's at Pondville Hospital. I dont get hired even though my interviews seem to go so well. I hope being 59 is not the problem because I am healthy and strong and capable of working many more years. Just need a chance to start.

Phenomenal experience
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 8, 2015
• Led a team of 4 research staff, volunteers and medical students across a $1 million dollar NIMH funded cohort study, Hormones and Brain Imaging in Postpartum Depression, in compliance with UMMS IRB, GCP and NIH SOPs.
• Administered structured mental health interviews using SCID, HRDS, HRAS, EPDS, Likeart, PROMIS sleep scales; make subjective and objective patient assessments, perform venipuncture, buccal cell DNA sample, dipstick urine sample analysis and collect data from self-reported questionnaires
UMass Medical
Research Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 15, 2012
The benefits you receive as an employee are good: health insurance, retirement. The salary for new researchers ensures that you will struggle. Budget cuts are an ever looming threat. Job insecurity due to shrinking budgets is not shared amongst different hierachal levels of the organization.
Management is amenable to flexibility in one's schedule. Co-workers are hard working and helpful.
The best part of the job knowing your effort has a tangible and positive impact on local populations.
Pros
meaningful work
Cons
salary
Support from coworkers, but none from management or HR
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 23, 2014
Very stressful environment due to heavy workloads because employees are constantly resigning. Employees resigning because there is no support from supervisors or HR. HR and supervisors are also manipulative and condescending. Bullying and threats of termination.
Pros
lots of benefits choices
Cons
state pension so no social security credits, miserable environment, nonsupportive
unfair work environment, favoritism
anon (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 10, 2015
Chancellor's office is very unfair and uncomfortable work environment, inappropriate behavior for that level. Chancellor Chief of Staff is inexperienced, immature and should not be in a management level role. Favoritism, bonuses and pay increases only to top level management.
benefits
Cons
chief of staff and med school management
University of Mafia
Lab worker (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAJune 20, 2012
Cut-throat atmosphere. Despite the public PC image, there is still an old guard conservative fascist attitude shared and indulged by Christian and Muslim employees. Gays and atheists are not welcome in the department that I worked for. Too much masonic mafia graft in the form of double standards and constitutional violations.
No Support with BULLYING
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymousMarch 26, 2014
There has been continuous complaints about management regarding harrasment and bullying. When staff bring it to HRs attention. Nothing is done. The victim is expected to continue to work with the harrasment, with fears and anxiety daily. ABSOLUTLEY NO CONCERN OR SUPPORT FROM HR.
Wonderful
Data Collection Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 5, 2014
great company and benefits,opportunities great. though, as a medical school most of the positions are grant funded and your position can be eliminated at any time.
Pros
benefits and opportunity
Cons
most jobs are grant funded sop your job can ended any time
Great Co-workers
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 17, 2014
UMASS Medical is a great place to work at with a variety of different departments. I went to school for GIS and I am able to utilize my skills here in their Geography/Research department. The co-workers here are great and easy to get along with.
Very Busy Office with very few people to do the work
HR Associate/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 1, 2015
I loved my job, I enjoyed meeting the new people. I loved all my Co-workers, we all got along and did lots of things together.
Pros
Convenient, Comfortable work place
Cons
no breaks, no flex time and no pay increases