University of Massachusetts Medical School

University of Massachusetts Medical School Employer Reviews

Busy and Productive enviroment
Interim Assistant to Dean of Undergraduate (Current Employee), Worcester, MAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: the atmosphere
Cons: no overtime
I enjoy working here at the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education, I find it challenging and a positive learning experience every day.

I start each morning looking at calendar and responding to emails and completing tasks.

Management here is great very positive and helpful

Co-workers and very suportive and always glad to help or assist in any – more... situation

What I find somewhat difficult at firts was the calendar when you are assistant to the Dean its very difficult to accomodate her meetings but know as I work with calendar and talk about concerns the calendar has become more comfterable to work with.

I enjoy every aspect of my job, it's a different thing every day, from setting up for mini retreats, editing of documents and creating of spreadsheets and creating of charts I really enjoy what I do. – less
Great place to work - Stay away from Contract work funded by the government
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJune 10, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: stay away from contract work funded by the government
Great place

hardest - commuter traffic

Favorable work culture
Competitive institution with plenty of opportunity
PhD Candidate (Current Employee), Worcester, MAJune 9, 2014
Excellent work environment and opportuinities to pursue an advanced degree in any field of biomedical research
Support from coworkers, but none from management or HR
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee), Worcester, MAMay 23, 2014
Pros: lots of benefits choices
Cons: state pension so no social security credits, miserable environment, nonsupportive
Very stressful environment due to heavy workloads because employees are constantly resigning. Employees resigning because there is no support from supervisors or HR. HR and supervisors are also manipulative and condescending. Bullying and threats of termination.
Excellent learning opportunities, great benefits and work/life balance
Research (Current Employee), WorcesterMay 20, 2014
Excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience in scientific research.
Wonderful
Data Collection Coordinator (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMay 5, 2014
Pros: benefits and opportunity
Cons: most jobs are grant funded sop your job can ended any time
great company and benefits,opportunities great. though, as a medical school most of the positions are grant funded and your position can be eliminated at any time.
No Support with BULLYING
Anonymous (Current Employee), AnonymousMarch 26, 2014
There has been continuous complaints about management regarding harrasment and bullying. When staff bring it to HRs attention. Nothing is done. The victim is expected to continue to work with the harrasment, with fears and anxiety daily. ABSOLUTLEY NO CONCERN OR SUPPORT FROM HR.
Great Co-workers
Research Technician (Current Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 17, 2014
UMASS Medical is a great place to work at with a variety of different departments. I went to school for GIS and I am able to utilize my skills here in their Geography/Research department. The co-workers here are great and easy to get along with.
Excellent experience
Research Associate (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: great working environment
Cons: ended as soon as i graduated college
I had a great time working for Umass Med School.
My typical day consisted of culturing mammalian cells, western blotting, keeping up with cGMPs and maintaining the laboratory equipment as well as a clean, organized and suitable environment for research.

Worked with a team and independently on projects and presented data and current literature.

The – more... most enjoyable part was definitely analyzing the results and interpreting the data collected. It gave me a sense of accomplishment and importance. Another great part was my ideas were heard and i was able to contribute different experimental ideas and changes to the overall research project. – less
Generally a good place to work
Manager, Planning and CAFM Services (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 22, 2014
If they had a more established career advancement policy, it is unlikely that I would have left.
Great organization
Research Fellow (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 16, 2014
Learnt about budgeting, p&l analysis, marketing strategies to grow business.
The work enviroment and professional team was excellent
Early Intervention Developmental Specialist (Former Employee), Worcester, MADecember 17, 2013
Pros: very flexible schedules
Cons: to much driving
My work day started at the office but not necessarily, I could also go directly to the scheduled visits which could be at the hospitals, schools, Day Cares or homes. I used to visit children with developmental delays who previously had been screened and qualified to the program. I learned a lot about children development and to respect each child’s – more... pace to grow.
We worked as a team and also individually, it was an interdisciplinary team composed of nurses, psychologists, educators, physical and occupational therapists.
The hardiest part of the job was the driving during the bad weather, besides that, the job was a joy, a stress-free job, a pleasant activity.
I enjoyed every phase of my job, so much that I used to tell my supervisor that it was so wonderful to receive a salary for “just playing" since we offered that therapy to children through play setting. – less
Project Coordinator role
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Commonwealth Medicine, Shrewsbury, MANovember 8, 2013
Pros: nice campus, great for walking outsides and convenient
Cons: would be the work life in a cube
Most enjoyable part of my job is the people I interact with, my coworkers who are my mentors as well as the phone conversations I have daily with social workers, mental health counselors, clinicians. I learn new things talking with people everyday. I would like to see more opportunity for growth within my own job.

The day to day job is diverse, I go – more... from helping people with technical issues they are having with our website to discussing why and what they need to do to complete our training and exam to administrative work so it can be the same yet different each day. – less
A nice medical school
PhD student (Current Employee), Worcester, MAOctober 17, 2013
UMASS Medical School is a nice place to work in with a lot of nice people to work with. For me particularly, there are a lot of well-known professors for research and doctors in the hospital.
This was a wonderful and professional place to work
Secretary, Department of Physiology (Former Employee), Worcester, MAOctober 16, 2013
I loved working with the professional research staff. I was motivated and worked a lot on my own
Contract driven employer focused on serving public programs
Senior Director (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, MAOctober 2, 2013
Supports the healthcare initiative for the underserved population in Massachusetts

Contracts and procurement education
It is just OK
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Worcester, MASeptember 12, 2013
Nice city to live. But the HR is not user friendly. Nobody care about the postdoc: no benefit, low pay, and others.
Started out good, then went downhill
Project support (Current Employee), worcesterAugust 21, 2013
Cons: no management support; constant degarading from management
I was hired in 2012 and it started great. then the dept mgr retired, and then i was subjected to harassment and intimidation. HR sucked, no help at all. Now I just stay quiet, and don't offer any new ideas to improve, because management knows everything and your nothing but pond scum to them.

There's also constant fear of being laid off, several people – more... were let go earlier this year, and more continue, because we always hear about budget problems with the new building opening up earlier this year. Gobs of money are spent on functions, meetings in conference rooms, business travel allowed for a chosen few.

I am currently looking for another job, this is really a sad place to work. – less
Productive workplace with friendly coworkers
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 15, 2013
Pros: friendly and helpful coworkers
My typical day began at 8:00 am before my coworkers arrived and ended around 5 pm. I began my day by completing any unfinished tasks from the previous day or any other priority tasks that my coworker had asked me to complete. I was working with a PhD student at University of Massachusetts Medical School. learned various assays and techniques from this – more... lab technician job. I have experience with performing assays and recording data from projects at school. The hardest part of the job was working with mice for the first time. Later, I learned techniques on how to handle them and it became second nature to me. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I learned something new almost everyday. – less
Great programs for undergraduate students
Summer Research Associate (Former Employee), Worcester, MAFebruary 18, 2013
Spent three years working in one of the labs, where I learned a lot of different techniques and initiated my passion for science