University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working as a tutor at UMass Boston
Contributing Writer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2017
I enjoyed the training and the tutoring/ note-taking positions that I worked at UMAss Boston. I was on work study in 1995 and 1996; but worked as an unpaid contributing writer in 2008-2011 when I returned to the Harbor Campus. I enjoy writing so the contributing writer/Associate Editor positions at UMass were good jobs.
Pros
I like to teach
Cons
I was paid minimum wage and had difficulty commuting to the University.
Bad management/budget decisions, layoffs, and low morale
Professional Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 16, 2017
The university has many staff members who work hard and are dedicated to the mission of educating a diverse population of students. Unfortunately, upper-level administration, the UMass system president, and the Board of Trustees have mismanaged or allowed the mismanagement of the university for years. This has resulted in a multi-million-dollar deficit. There were many layoffs during summer and fall 2017. Morale is low. It should be a better place to work after a new chancellor is hired and the budget is under control.
Pros
Excellent personal, sick and vacation time
Cons
Low morale, health care/dental plans
Great Overall Employer, Crapshoot from Dept. to Dept.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 14, 2017
UMass is, overall, a reliable and consistent employer. Good benefits, good pay, some opportunities to move and advance. However, every department is an individual entity, and while some are perfectly functional workplaces, others are complete disasters, and there's really no way to know which you ended up with until you're in the thick of it. Poor management and scapegoating are common in the more chaotic offices, and there isn't much the union can do for protection much of the time. My experience here has been largely positive, if not for my abusive, gaslighting disaster of a supervisor.
Pros
stable, reliable, good benefits, good pay
Cons
every department is a gamble, poor management, supervisor abuse, parking is horrific
Learnt Molecular modeling/Statistical Mechanics
Research Assistant/PhD Candidate (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 13, 2017
- Learned to generate hypothesis for a scientific problem
- Modeled using QM/MM calculations
- Had scientific discussions with boss every week but had a hard time meeting the expectations without proper guidance
Encouraging work environment
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MANovember 8, 2017
Work is flexible and based on my schedule. There are days that are very heavy where i put in about 10 hours of work and there are few light days. My boss is great and understanding. He encourages me through my research work and advises me on my career path. The people in the school are friendly and respectful.
Review
Assistant Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 1, 2017
Free lunch sometimes. The office has a kitchen in which you enjoy much. The university is much incorporated with diversity. That makes lively the environment.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
health cares
It was oo
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAOctober 29, 2017
I enjoyed working with people and helping out children to help with finding out about if working with children would be good. I enjoyed working with new people.
Stressful and exciting place
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2017
UMASS Boston was a really exciting place to get my undergraduate. The environment was very welcoming. Typically depending on whose research we were working on, we would prepare for the study. Lab meeting were held every Tuesday and during that time we would discuss and improvements on the experiments as well as tips on making the study run more smoothly and finish in a timely fashion.
Pros
Fun environment and make a lot of friends
Cons
Stressful environment at times
great benefits
Financial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 20, 2017
different things to do everyday, challenging and interesting. We never do the same thing everyday. Management needs improvement, knowledge of what we do and how much we do is lacking.
Pros
diversified
Cons
management
Good coworkers, lots of red tape
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 19, 2017
Most of the immediate coworkers are very nice however there are about fifty people you've never met that need to be consulted whenever something new is proposed.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
not particularly ambitious
University of Massachusetts
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 18, 2017
UMass Boston is a good place to work despite the construction. However, my personal manager was impossible to work with - she hated her job and expected everyone to agree with her opinion - and if not, then work was very unpleasant. The benefits for all employees are amazing and the support for employees by the University is good, however, working daily with a negative person is impossible.
Pros
Full benefits for part-time employees
Cons
Construction and negative atmosphere
Wunderbare Arbeitskultur
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Hampshire County, MAOctober 17, 2017
Wunderbare Mitarbeiter im Labor, im Lehrbereich und extrem flexible Gestaltung der Arbeitszeiten. Freundliches, offenes Management welches stehts im Dialog stand, Anregungen aufnahm und unterstuetzend wirkte. Lob und Anerkennung wurde direkt weitergegeben.
Pros
Flexibilitaet, Freundlichkeit und herrliche Umgebung
Cons
Meist befristete Arbeitsverhaeltnisse
Will at a later date
Employee (Current Employee) –  UmassOctober 14, 2017
Not now. Will complete a full review at a later date. Many things that need to be said here, but will wait til the time is right. Senior management is great!! They seem genuine when they say they want to hear from employees and want to hear all the new ideas.
Better place to improve knowledge
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAOctober 10, 2017
It was a good experience to work with such a talented professor and senior students. I learnt a how to work professionally. Though a project was looking a bit difficult for me but my mentor help me very well throughout my project work.
Healthy educational environment
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAOctober 8, 2017
The UMASS Lowell police department has grown leaps and bounds since I moved on. Over the past twenty years they have become one of the highest trained police departments in their area.
Pros
The people and atmosphere
Cons
At the time it was lack of armed security
N/a
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 4, 2017
Great Job. I really enjoyed my boss and it was very relaxed. There is a lot of opportunity at this place. I learned a lot and grew as a worker, student and person.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAOctober 3, 2017
I would provide patients with great care and a smile to insure they had a great stay at our facility, helped them and anything they may need. I learned how to keep patients safe and also how to use important equipment. The culture at Umass is professional and hardworking we do the best for our patients and its all about safety. I enjoy the people i work with and making a difference in peoples lives.
Pros
Great people, good food, good careers
Cons
short breaks, parking
This was the best job I ever had
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 28, 2017
This was the best job I ever had, it was very easy to advance, if you worked hard you were rewarded for your hard work. It was a great place to work and learn.
Ga
N/A (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MASeptember 27, 2017
Staff works well together. Students come to class wanting to learn. Great environment. Great place to work. Professors very knowledgable and dedicated.
Great educational institute with a great overall work ethic.
Graduate Assistant (Center For Marketing Research) (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MASeptember 27, 2017
As a student i took on student roles which were available and it turned out to be a great experience whether it was teaching assistant or being a graduate assistant. Everyone was highly supportive and positive. It made my experience excellent overall. It motivated me to do much more!