University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

fun place to work. job is easy to handle
Record Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2018
staffs are friendly and helpful. nice and clean working environment. job is very easy and the working hour is flexable. recommend student work there as an intern.
Pros
friendly staffs
Cons
no advancement
great environment and excellent work positiion
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAFebruary 11, 2018
Nice workplace culture with fun and creative colleagues , a great place to build teamwork and team leadership skills as well as professional analytical skills.
Pros
Working with extraordinary people
Cons
No lunch
Great Place To Interact with Students and Faculty
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAFebruary 7, 2018
I love the experience of talking to other students and recruiting them to come to UML. It's an eye-opening experience that really helps you appreciate the school you go to.
Campus Services and Student Technician (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAFebruary 6, 2018
Great place to work for students. Good environment, great co workers, great bosses, Can get a little hectic but it is undoubtedly manageable. I loved it there.
Graduated Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2018
Very interesting to work here. Learnt a lot of stuff. Professor, I worked under she was very helpful and very flexible about working hours. I highly recommend to work here.
Special
Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2018
I loved working at UMass Boston. The diversity, the energy and the friendly atmosphere on campus and in the offices made my job experience on of a kind. I enjoyed working there and actually looked forward to going to work.
It is a nice place for scientific work as you can get seminar everyday
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 5, 2018
I have been doing scientific work both on bench and computer for more than 14 years. I have learned a lot from many high level seminars. And also you will have fun for the chalk talk with beer....
Pros
Beer for chalk talk
Overall great place
Internal Researcher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2018
The team that I had worked with over at Umass Boston was a fantastic group of people who had welcomed me into there group and made me feel comfortable to fit in. They taught me allot of new thing such as excel and made me improve on arrears that I was lacking in. Day to day there was a new task
Great work environment
Resident Director (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJanuary 31, 2018
I started my role expecting to work only a few years and ended up staying for a decade. The work-life balance and the support from departmental heads was a main factor in me staying so long.
Productive on-the-job training in education
Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAJanuary 28, 2018
Great experience for graduate students to support degree pursuit and gain experience in a teaching environment. Fast-paced and at times stressful, but nonetheless rewarding.
Enjoyable place to work
ASSOCIATE MANAGER OF RECORDS & GIFT SUPERVISING (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 27, 2018
Excellent place to work and the benefits are great.
Diversity of many cultures and there is potential for growth.
You have many opportunities within many departments on campus.
Pros
Diverse population
Cons
Higher management positions are usually filled in home, but not because the individual has the experience. It's more who you know.
Athletic Department
HEAD WOMEN'S SOCCER COACH (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 25, 2018
Typical State run institution with very poor management and little resources to support programs. Buildings are deplorable and not clean or maintained.
inter-departmental research is good
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2018
At UMass the work-life balance is good. Good candidates are given a teaching experience along with research experience.A person can plan his/her day according to his/her schedule without much micro-management.
Clinical
Adjunct Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 20, 2018
Working as a clinical instructor at UMASS has been a eye-opening experience. I thought the job would be easy, but I was surprised to find that managing the education of 8 students in the clinical environment was very challenging. I found a number of mentors at UMASS who were willing and able to help me adjust so that my semester was successful.
Teachers Assistant at UMass Dartmouth
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAJanuary 19, 2018
I was a TA for two Astronomy classes each within two semesters. I was a Sophomore as part of the Physics dept. working under the professor. I did not assist the professor in classes but corrected all the work from the students. This consisted of correcting, alphabetizing and calculating grades for over 50 students per class, near 20-30 assignments (each) overall, plus tests/quizzes. I previously passed the two classes (PHY 151, PHY 251) so I was eligible for this job right away. I was also part of the dept. working closely with the head and professor. The actual job was to collect the papers left by the professor, correct and grade them, then get them back to the teacher in a healthy time frame. My previous path in my education was going toward a physics degree and becoming a teacher so this job was a good exposure to that side. The work was self-regulating and the only major part was to get them all back corrected on time.
Pros
Self-regulating, usually a good time frame, skills in education as a career
Cons
Repetitive work, solely based on time and speed, also making sure all papers are correct
It was a good place to work at.
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2018
I really liked working as a Teacher assistant assistant for UMASS Boston. And if I got the chance I would do it again. I also worked as a subject tutor and I also enjoyed working as a tutor.
Not the best time to be here
Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2018
I would have said this place has great job security along with a lot of time off and the great benefit of tuition waivers. Currently, there are layoffs and a negative environment. I have faith we'll get through it!
Pros
time off, tuition waiver
Cons
salary, work-life balance, current lack of job security
Excellent place to work and learn!
Senior Lecturer II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2018
University of Massachusetts is one of the best place to earn while you learn. It not only provides you decent salary and benefits but also allows to enhance your learning and grow. I would not have left the place if I did not have to relocate.

The University is in an expansionary and high growth mode. It is adding new and modern technology as well s expanding its physical facilities for students, staff, faculty, and administrative.

It is not only an excellent educational institution but also a community. It is a diverse community and very welcoming to students and people of various backgrounds from all over the world.
Pros
Earning while learning!
Cons
Only if you create one because of your personal situation!
Great place to work!
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 13, 2018
Collaborative employees at all levels. Dedicated staff and faculty. Many resources and opportunities for advancing learning. Fabulous location. Challenging students.
Pros
Collaborative Atmosphere
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 9, 2018
Maintain athletics facilities clean and ready for competitive sport games such as basketball, soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, ice hockey, softball and baseball.