University of Massachusetts

University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

No room for advancement
Housing Operations Assistant (Current Employee), Amherst, MAJune 16, 2015
Basically people want to get jobs here and put in their 20 years so they can retire with the state. Most jobs are based on a pay grade scale, which means your salary is based on that grade and you will automatically get step increases every year until you max out (usually within 5 years) and that's as far as you can go into that job, pay wise. The only exclusion to this is cost of living raises that the unions fight for, once they are given it is usually washed out by a raise in some sort of dues whether it be the unions or health insurance. This type of system/environment has created a super breed of state workers of live up to their names by being incredibly lazy and feel entitled to everything this campus has to offer. There is literally no incentive for anybody to work hard since the steps come automatically and promotions or raises just don't exist. What I've seen (10 years on campus) hard work isn't even backed up with any sort of positive reinforcement. Most employees that I have met are always more than willing to find something to complain about, whether it be how bad they feel the state system is or how they feel like they are not being treated right in once sense or another. Most of these people do so very little work on a day to day basis and refuse to do any work that is outside their job description. All and all, I feel the bar is set at the lowest setting for work expectation of most employees on campus, people literally come in and want to do nothing all day and complain when work is given. As an employee who works very hard all day just about every day, seeing this go on first hand can be very disheartening. Seeing people who have a higher pay grade than myself and work so much less for it sometimes is too much for me. I also would like to say that there are lot's of people on this campus that work hard and do a fantastic job at running this campus, i'm only speaking of the people I've seen over the years on this campus.
A great place to work.
Custodial Area Supervisor (Former Employee), Amherst, MAJune 8, 2015
Pros: Good salary and great benefits.
Supervising such a rich cultural environment was life changing. So many people touched my life, the places they came from and their life experiences made me realize just how lucky I am.
An Education with a Sense of Mission
Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Amherst, MAJune 7, 2015
Pros: Great Sense of Community
Cons: Isolated location
I was surprised how much I appreciated being part of a public school where I was exposing students to a life as engineers that they knew nothing about, giving them opportunities their parents could only dream of.
Flexible Fun Work Environment
Online Course Instructor (Former Employee), Amherst, MAJune 6, 2015
Pros: Ability to prepare most work in advance; Work at any time of day; Tuition waiver
As an online course instructor for an accelerated creative writing class, over winter term, I had the opportunity to teach a variety of students at various stages in their career. I enjoyed the individual, focused attention I was able to give each writer -- partly due to the relatively small class size (9 students) and partly due to the flexibility, creativity and control over the course material granted to me by my program.

Although I myself faced a learning curve utilizing the online technology, I felt I had ample support with the 24/7 campus tech team, whom I could contact through email or phone. I also had the experiences of fellow course instructors as useful references.
Gained lot of experience
Computer lab consultant / IT Help Desk (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 5, 2015
- Provide IT Help Desk support and resolve technical issues
- Maintain all the printers’ & card readers’ network and desktop computer workstations all over the campus.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues
- Assist students and professors with hardware and software in all the undergraduate & graduate labs
- Assist students with disabilities with adaptive software and hardware technology
- Help supervisors install hardware, software, and resolve technical issues
A fun place to work and learn
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Lowell, MAJune 1, 2015
A typical day would be to answer phones and emails. I learned to be patient with the people I talk to and don't let there anger and frustration affect they way that I talk to them. Management is very helpful and friendly. My co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of the job is dealing with angry parents. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to help the person.
it is a fun place to work
Dean's Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 20, 2015
Pros: free lunh
Cons: long break
It was a great experience. I was working with highly professional people. I learned and grow with this company even though it was a short term position.
Good workplace with amazing boss
Technical Consultant (Current Employee), Boston, MAMay 8, 2015
Working at the university was a pleasant experience. The boss was understanding, colleagues were helpful and overall a nice place to work.
Overall School is great, department is in a struggle
Resident Advisor (Current Employee), Lowell, MAApril 26, 2015
Pros: Free housing. Good leadership opportunities
Cons: Balance between work and personal life is a tough balance.
Some of the new leadership for this particular department is still finding a balance between of leadership and personal development.
Great Learning Opportunity
System Analyst (Former Employee), Worcester, MAApril 6, 2015
UMass offered a work environment that was non stressful. they offered the IT staff an opportunity to Lear new job functions and expand their knowledge. This expansion of knowledge allowed staff to be able to take on other job functionality.
Great Corporation
Project Assistant (Current Employee), Lowell, MAApril 6, 2015
The company provides great working environment, compensation packages and career opportunity. However, I would like to pursue my further degree so I decided to move to US to study .
Good experience and get to learn many things.
I. Research Assistant (Current Employee), Lowell, MAMarch 23, 2015
Working at UMass Lowell was productive and get to learn many things. We worked on synthesis of nanoparticles such as silica nanoparticles coated with sugar. I assessed the cytotoxicity of these nanoparticles on mammalian cell lines like primary lung cells, macrophages and A549 cells. I have to troubleshoot the problems in cytoxicity and MIC assay which I considered as difficult part of my job. But at end, I get to learn many new techniques and get hands on experience on micro plate reader instrument, confocal microscopy and flow cytometry. Now I am looking for most challenging opportunities where I can apply my skills gained in laboratory.
Microbial Ecology Laboratory Research intern (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 19, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Academic Research laboratory. Learn new things everyday. Team work superb and sometimes free lunch after lab meeting
Fun
Residential Academic Program (RAP) Mentor (Former Employee), AmherstMarch 10, 2015
This job doesn't exist anymore...But when it did exist it was an awesome job. Relatively no requirements and awesome compensation. By boss was also very nice and is now a good friend of mine.
Productive and creative research workplace
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Amherst, MAFebruary 24, 2015
Very productive research place where you are pushed to your limits so that one comes out with their best efforts without exhausting themselves. Some enjoyable part of the job are the daily tech talks along with free food.
Great job experience working with excellent professor and co-workers
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: flexible working hours/great co-workers/great team work
Cons: pressure to meet the project deadline
It is a great working experience. Not only I learned the technique on how to write a professional financial report but also I had a chance to do some out of class financial literature review. I have compatible co-worker which is awesome because we can brain storming ideas and work together.
Great experience
Assistant Soccer Coach (Former Employee), Amherst, MAFebruary 12, 2015
Couldn't have asked for a better year of experience into college coaching. Got a great taste for the ups and downs of the business and worked with some great people.
A good environment and flexibility to work
Graduate Research Assistant, Marketing (Current Employee), BostonFebruary 10, 2015
The professor under whom I was placed was organized, appreciated hard work and honesty and provided flexibility in working hours to work.
A Great Teaching Institution
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Lowell, MAFebruary 6, 2015
Anyone with a passion for plastics should come here. The access to instruments and equipment is unparalleled.
Also professors are very approachable and take pleasure in the advancement of their students.
Courier
Health Services (Former Employee), Amherst MAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: secure employment
I enjoyed the courier position as well as working on the grounds

1 2 3 4 5