University of Massachusetts Employee Review

View all University of Massachusetts reviews

Graduate School
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 17, 2014
Highly directed graduate school program. Each student is given adequate advisement. The department accommodated a nice balance between home and school life.

Other University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Clinical
Adjunct Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 20, 2018
Working as a clinical instructor at UMASS has been a eye-opening experience. I thought the job would be easy, but I was surprised to find that managing the education of 8 students in the clinical environment was very challenging. I found a number of mentors at UMASS who were willing and able to help me adjust so that my semester was successful.
Teachers Assistant at UMass Dartmouth
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAJanuary 19, 2018
I was a TA for two Astronomy classes each within two semesters. I was a Sophomore as part of the Physics dept. working under the professor. I did not assist the professor in classes but corrected all the work from the students. This consisted of correcting, alphabetizing and calculating grades for over 50 students per class, near 20-30 assignments (each) overall, plus tests/quizzes. I previously passed the two classes (PHY 151, PHY 251) so I was eligible for this job right away. I was also part of the dept. working closely with the head and professor. The actual job was to collect the papers left by the professor, correct and grade them, then get them back to the teacher in a healthy time frame. My previous path in my education was going toward a physics degree and becoming a teacher so this job was a good exposure to that side. The work was self-regulating and the only major part was to get them all back corrected on time.
Pros
Self-regulating, usually a good time frame, skills in education as a career
Cons
Repetitive work, solely based on time and speed, also making sure all papers are correct