University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews in United States

Good benefits,
Director Of Access Control (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2016
The climate and culture was very unique and it just wasn't a good fit for overall.The best part of the job was the actual work and day to day operation to achieve the desired results. My least favorite part of the job was the level of communication ad time and energy spent to to move things along for effienciency perspective.
UMass Athletic Department
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2015
Working for the Vice Chancellor of Athletics and his direct Executive Assistant was a pleasure. I was constantly learning. As a student at the time the balance of work and studying was very important. Management understood and worked with me to make sure my studies came first while I finished the tasks at hand.
Pros
Free lunches, networking, and learning.
Cons
Work study compensation.
A good place to work
Assistant to the Dean/Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAMarch 14, 2016
The University has been a good place to work so far. Benefits are good, though they are State benefits, and not comparable to other places I have worked. The pay is very good, friendly co-workers.
Very good starting place to work for a trainer, great experience
Floor supervisor (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 9, 2016
Very good starting place to work for a trainer, great experience. It is very easy to work around your class schedule. The management is helpful but sometimes would like to see them be more lenient with minor screw-ups such as if you take a sick day, no matter the reason or if you have a note, they take points off. Points are a system used here to see if someone should be eligible for rehire, or even fired.
Fun and quiet workplace
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 20, 2016
I never worked here before. But from now I wish to work here forever. Also, this position gave me the opportunities to look forward into my career in the future.
Not an easy job.
Secretary to the Board of Trustees (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2016
No typical day, everyday was different depending on Board schedule. I worked well with co workers and some very difficult people. The hardest part of the job was it was a 24/7 position, I was always on call. Coordinating everyone's schedules and running meetings was very stressful. The best part was the relationships I established with the Trustees and I was paid well.
Pros
Co workers and Trustees
Cons
Co workers, stress, always on call.
Writing Tutor
Reading, Writing, Study Strategies Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 9, 2016
Love the RWSSC. Great people, great co-workers ... dealing with the rest of the school on the other hand could often be a headache. The bureaucracy is notoriously bad.
Pros
Diverse work environment, good people
Cons
School administration in general is terrible
high energy environment with opportunity to write and research
Lecturer (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJuly 13, 2016
A typical day at work consists with teaching courses for doctoral students, and participating in doctoral dissertation committees.
The most enjoyable part of the work is teaching and advising students.
It was fun and very educative
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 22, 2016
The job was very interesting, and I have learnt a lot about new device and instrument including network analyzer, hydrophone, power amplifier and pre-amplifier. My co-workers were really supportive of what i was doing and helped me in every case.
Perfect Enivornment for Job/Work life balance and career advancement
Accountant I- Graduate Office (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 9, 2015
I love my job at UMass. My boss and coworkers are very friendly and I was able to learn a lot about budgets, grants, reconciliations, and other financial responsibities. I recommend UMass to anyone is who is looking for advancement as well as that work/life balance.
Productive work place where you can learn a lot about food service.
Receiving/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 31, 2016
Management is very indifferent to problems with work space, and safety of employees. Co Workers seem to not get along very well.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Chances for advancement do not exist
company that matches my skill set
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAMay 31, 2016
I want a company that offers me a position which matches my skill set. I desire to work with growing company which has a good market reputation and also offers its employees a healthy working enviroment.
Data entry position
Clerk IV, Registrar, UMass Amherst (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAApril 29, 2016
Enjoyed being part of a University system. Worked with a friendly, courteous, and professional team.
Clear job expectations, very routine.
Pros
Friendly department atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks, monotonous, but necessary, work
Where we learn with purpose
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 23, 2016
This is a place that I expanded my research area from conventional plastics processing to cutting-dege material science. The graduate courses in Plastics Engineering are fantastic.
UMass Boston
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 11, 2016
I had the opportunity to work with smart, efficient, curious, and fun loving individuals from all around the world. I truly enjoyed working at UMass Boston
Pros
People, pay, benefits, location
Cons
Opportunity for advancement
Somewhat organized
Front/Back of house employee (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 23, 2016
Everyday varied sometimes I would be preparing the food and others I would be serving the food. I would have to keep a clean work space.
Follett
Breakage Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, MANovember 8, 2015
Typically, you run a register. Upon advancement you can do paperwork, receiving and other various tasks. Managers show little respect. Employees are terrible workers.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Little breaks, rude managers
A well equipped place to do science
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 27, 2016
A great place to do research. Everyday the work was very time-demanding, keeping me busy and focused on my research. The most enjoyable part of my work was when I got the experiments to work out. Work in UMass Amherst was very enjoyable, to live in Amherst not much though.
Very professional and fun atmospher, great group of people
Chef (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 12, 2016
Umass is high energy, very diverse cuisine, strick adherence to food safety, Managment is awesome very hands on and easy to approach.
Intern
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 8, 2015
Awesome Work environment. Great people. Awesome opportunities. Ability for growth. The Management is great, and the professors are always wiling to help you.
Pros
Growth
Cons
None!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Massachusetts. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4