University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

nice
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 18, 2017
not sure what to write here, I am currently studying here; do not work full time so will not be able to specify much. dont know very many from full time staff.
Produtive workplace that strived for greatness everyday
Field Hockey Player (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 18, 2017
A typical day would be doing practice drills and following instructions from the head coach. And following through with any physical demand, being pushed to the limit mentally as well. I learned how to be a part of at team, something bigger than myself. I learned how to come together with a group of people, all with mutual goals to achieve something great. The culture was competitive, intense and rewarding. The hardest part about this job was making time for studying, video sessions, extra workouts and completely devoting myself to this sport and the group of teammates. The most enjoyable part was winning.
Pros
Free food on away trips
Cons
mentally and physically draning
A great place to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAJuly 15, 2017
Many different engineering departments try to collaborate on various technologies. The university is well recognized throughout the country and yet still affordable.
Not a fun working place. Buildings in which I was assigned room for lectures were dilapidated and and primitive, sometimes with no chair fro sit on..
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 6, 2017
I learnt that no one is there to assist with showing one around, even if new. One has to navigate and learn everything by oneself. Everyone is usually too busy to assist and the atmosphere seemed heavy with competitiveness.
Pros
No pros really
Cons
Takes usually more than half hour to find a park and get to lecture hall. In inclement weather, as in the winter, it can take upwards of 45 minutes to get to class. Parking is not free, it is $6 for the day.
Supportive Supervisors
Resident Assistant - '03 Temp' (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 6, 2017
Supervisors want to see their staff succeed and learn new skills. While not everyone has shared my experience, I have had nothing but good things to say about my relationship my direct supervisors. They have advocated me and pushed me to do my best, and I've learned a lot during my tenure at UMass. I'm open to continuing work there in the future, for sure!
Transitioning environment
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 28, 2017
The workplace was fun and the students you interact with are great. However, there is no sense of community outside of your department unless you get involved in seminars in other departments.
Fun and easy minimum wage job
Pita Pit Cashier, Phone services (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 22, 2017
Was able to listen to music and do whatever we wanted because management knew the work would get done. Great for some cash on the side with the low stress work load.
Pros
Food on the job
Cons
hot and greasy
Enjoyed working here
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 18, 2017
I was simply a teacher's assistant here while obtaining my master's degree, but learned a great deal from the Sport Management faculty when it came to teaching.
Pros
Dedicated faculty
Cons
Non-full-time position
Didn't work there long enough
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MA 01604June 16, 2017
I didn't really work at Umass long enough to form a sound opinion. For the brief time I worked there, things seemed okay, although the environment could be a little stressful.
UMass Boston
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 10, 2017
Great people. Great place to work. One of the best urban universities in the country and one of the most diverse and interesting communities anywhere.
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Campus constantly under construction.
hkasdoids
Admin Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2017
Poor Staffs, Some professors need to quit or get fired, New professors need to come in because those who are doing bad job do not get fired thereby damaging the image of the school.
Pros
Wonderful Location
Cons
Too many mediocre professors
Productive.
Senior Librarian Assistant - Lydon Library (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 26, 2017
Its a work study job on campus typically fun to show up for work and do a lot of studying while also getting the job done. I work less than 7 hours a day on the job, coming to work everyday is so encouraging .
Most wonderful experience of my life
Tutor/Grader/Grad Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 22, 2017
Management, faculty, staff are excellent to study with and to work with them as well. They care about me. They value their employee and their work. It is highly recommended working over here.
Great Place to Study and Work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 18, 2017
Worked as a tutor at UMass Lowell Centers for Tutoring and later worked as a teaching assistant during my masters program. Everything was great and everyone there was friendly. Highly recommended.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMay 17, 2017
This is a highly professional and dynamic workplace. Salary and benefits are great and very competitive. Life work balance is valued and encourage but high expectations are in place.
Good Life/Work Balance
Assistant Nurse Researcher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 10, 2017
Was a student at the time of employment and it was a good life/work balance so you could do our school work along with your research job roles. Could be busy during finals.
This place is similar to a city
Assistant to Directors (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 6, 2017
There are several different departments on this campus and I can only speak for the ones I worked in. Most people were great. This can definitely be a great place to work.
UMass the best place for studying and working
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAApril 30, 2017
I highly recommend working and studying at the University - the benefits are great - the environment and atmosphere is conducive to learning and growing!
I enjoyed getting out in the neighborhood meeting a variety of people each day
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAApril 22, 2017
The hardest part of the job was going up to different households each day and gaining the homeowners confidence enough to invite me in and answer a 40 minute survey of personal questions.
Pros
freedom of time to complete surveys
Cons
Security was sometimes a concern
Politically motivated environment
TECHNICIAN III (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAApril 9, 2017
Initially when I began working at UMass it was very enjoyable and productive. My first 3 years I enjoyed going to work. Management and co-workers were friendly and respectful. I was moved to a different department. The environment became very toxic and unproductive. I hated going to work.
Pros
Mostly friendly environment