University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Not an easy job.
Secretary to the Board of Trustees (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2016
No typical day, everyday was different depending on Board schedule. I worked well with co workers and some very difficult people. The hardest part of the job was it was a 24/7 position, I was always on call. Coordinating everyone's schedules and running meetings was very stressful. The best part was the relationships I established with the Trustees and I was paid well.
Pros
Co workers and Trustees
Cons
Co workers, stress, always on call.
fun and professional workplace
Administrative Assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAJanuary 29, 2016
Working at Grants & Contracts is a great experience. It is fun and professional work place. I have learnt a lot and my colleagues are great.
A well equipped place to do science
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 27, 2016
A great place to do research. Everyday the work was very time-demanding, keeping me busy and focused on my research. The most enjoyable part of my work was when I got the experiments to work out. Work in UMass Amherst was very enjoyable, to live in Amherst not much though.
Fun and quiet workplace
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 20, 2016
I never worked here before. But from now I wish to work here forever. Also, this position gave me the opportunities to look forward into my career in the future.
It was awesome
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MADecember 13, 2015
it was an educational experience, learned a lot of valuable skills that i was able to bring into the work force later on in life. If you have the opportunity definitely work here
Nice place to do research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MADecember 7, 2015
A lot of promising research projects but the conditions of the old buildings are bad.Still nice place to work and the location is very advantageous.
Pros
Close to R&D market
Cons
bad laboratory conditions
Enjoyable
Office Manager - Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 14, 2015
I enjoy working with the staff of the Renaissance Center. I have the pleasure to work with a wonderful staff who communicates well
Project management work.
Teaching I Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MANovember 8, 2015
Independently wrote two research project proposals which were funded by the departments of the Beijing government and also developed certain skills on marketing.
Follett
Breakage Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, MANovember 8, 2015
Typically, you run a register. Upon advancement you can do paperwork, receiving and other various tasks. Managers show little respect. Employees are terrible workers.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Little breaks, rude managers
Intern
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 8, 2015
Awesome Work environment. Great people. Awesome opportunities. Ability for growth. The Management is great, and the professors are always wiling to help you.
Pros
Growth
Cons
None!
Fast-pace, no advances
Solution Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MASeptember 29, 2015
The university is appealing and is quickly expanding. The work environment can be challenging but if you are eager and motivated, you will overcome the obstacles.
Amazing Experience for Students
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 23, 2015
The UMass Annual Fund is a great opportunity for students to experience fund raising in a fun and supportive atmosphere.
Pros
Understanding of work/school balance and lots of free food
Cons
high turnover rate
UMass Athletic Department
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2015
Working for the Vice Chancellor of Athletics and his direct Executive Assistant was a pleasure. I was constantly learning. As a student at the time the balance of work and studying was very important. Management understood and worked with me to make sure my studies came first while I finished the tasks at hand.
Pros
Free lunches, networking, and learning.
Cons
Work study compensation.
Research work, Publications.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAAugust 30, 2015
I am a graduate research assistant at University of Massachusetts. I work with a group of eight people all working towards the reliability of the systems. It a small group of people working together for world betterment.

I improved my ability to think, implement and acquired a knowledge to solve problems. The most enjoyable part of the job is attending group meetings where each person will talk about their research work and others provide the feedback to get the optimal solutions.
Great opportunity for students
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 25, 2015
Great place to work as a student. Management understands work and school balance. It was great to be able to work alongside my peers and help them succeed as well.
Amazing
Financial Aid Student Officer (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAAugust 13, 2015
Working in the FA office at UMass Lowell was amazing opportunity. I was able to learn so much and the staff were very flexible with my work schedule while in school.
Amazing college experience with professors and staff who cared about my education.
Perfect Enivornment for Job/Work life balance and career advancement
Accountant I- Graduate Office (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 9, 2015
I love my job at UMass. My boss and coworkers are very friendly and I was able to learn a lot about budgets, grants, reconciliations, and other financial responsibities. I recommend UMass to anyone is who is looking for advancement as well as that work/life balance.
Fun and Balanced
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 13, 2015
Worked as a Residential Assistant, so class and res life were pretty balanced. Classes during the day and Res life in the evening. Planned events for residents based on students interests as well as held floor meetings. I ensured the safety of all residents and assisted during Fire Drill trainings. Wonderful experience. Worked with a team to create the best environment for all students.
Find myself very productive in the present work environment.
Test Automation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJune 29, 2015
I love the testing job that I do. Look forward to learn new technologies, thereby enhance my skills as well as the quality of existing code, as IT always invents newer web technologies.
No room for advancement
Housing Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 16, 2015
Basically people want to get jobs here and put in their 20 years so they can retire with the state. Most jobs are based on a pay grade scale, which means your salary is based on that grade and you will automatically get step increases every year until you max out (usually within 5 years) and that's as far as you can go into that job, pay wise. The only exclusion to this is cost of living raises that the unions fight for, once they are given it is usually washed out by a raise in some sort of dues whether it be the unions or health insurance. This type of system/environment has created a super breed of state workers of live up to their names by being incredibly lazy and feel entitled to everything this campus has to offer. There is literally no incentive for anybody to work hard since the steps come automatically and promotions or raises just don't exist. What I've seen (10 years on campus) hard work isn't even backed up with any sort of positive reinforcement. Most employees that I have met are always more than willing to find something to complain about, whether it be how bad they feel the state system is or how they feel like they are not being treated right in once sense or another. Most of these people do so very little work on a day to day basis and refuse to do any work that is outside their job description. All and all, I feel the bar is set at the lowest setting for work expectation of most employees on campus, people literally come in and want to do nothing all day and complain when work is given. As an employee who works very hard all day just about every day, seeing  more... this go on first hand can be very disheartening. Seeing people who have a higher pay grade than myself and work so much less for it sometimes is too much for me. I also would like to say that there are lot's of people on this campus that work hard and do a fantastic job at running this campus, i'm only speaking of the people I've seen over the years on this campus.  less

4.4