University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

No room for advancement
Housing Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 16, 2015
Basically people want to get jobs here and put in their 20 years so they can retire with the state. Most jobs are based on a pay grade scale, which means your salary is based on that grade and you will automatically get step increases every year until you max out (usually within 5 years) and that's as far as you can go into that job, pay wise. The only exclusion to this is cost of living raises that the unions fight for, once they are given it is usually washed out by a raise in some sort of dues whether it be the unions or health insurance. This type of system/environment has created a super breed of state workers of live up to their names by being incredibly lazy and feel entitled to everything this campus has to offer. There is literally no incentive for anybody to work hard since the steps come automatically and promotions or raises just don't exist. What I've seen (10 years on campus) hard work isn't even backed up with any sort of positive reinforcement. Most employees that I have met are always more than willing to find something to complain about, whether it be how bad they feel the state system is or how they feel like they are not being treated right in once sense or another. Most of these people do so very little work on a day to day basis and refuse to do any work that is outside their job description. All and all, I feel the bar is set at the lowest setting for work expectation of most employees on campus, people literally come in and want to do nothing all day and complain when work is given. As an employee who works very hard all day just about every day, seeing  more... this go on first hand can be very disheartening. Seeing people who have a higher pay grade than myself and work so much less for it sometimes is too much for me. I also would like to say that there are lot's of people on this campus that work hard and do a fantastic job at running this campus, i'm only speaking of the people I've seen over the years on this campus.  less
A typical day at work
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winthrop, MAOctober 2, 2014
Coming into work to Umass Boston, is a great way to start the day. I will come in the office and have the pleasure to work with people that have so much experience in other fields, such as business administration, economics and public policy. Working with them gives me the opportunity to learn from them and their experiences, but also how all together come to form the Gaston Institute a team towards the improvement of the community. One day I will work on the transcriptions of the last research study on health, and on the other days I will assist with the new research project regarding health insurance enrollment. The managers are helpful, resourceful and knowledgeable, always willing to give advices for any improvements.
My co-workers, are students of Umass, we all have different backgrounds in our majors, but this is just another strength for the team. The diversity among us, makes the work environment a classroom of learning something new everyday. All of them are kind and respectful.
The hardest part of the job, is just the commute to school; is challenging due to the lack of parking and the delays of the train some days. Aside from that there is not a hard part in the job, is nice to go to work,
What I enjoy the most, is the diversity found in my job, we are also surrounded by other Institutes of the university and get to learn about the research projects they are working on, and get to meet people with all sort of experiences and knowledge. All of them so passionate for what they do, and it's contagious, the passion to improve, to learn and to apply the experiences learned.
Great learning experience
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 1, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of assisting in the design and maintenance of online surveys and relational databases using GuideStar Non-Profit Organization website to collect tax information for non-Profit organization that are pro-choice or pro-life. I helped manage data collection projects by entering tax data and electronic mailing dead-lines and transcribing notes onto an Excel Spreadsheet. I learned how to do extensive research and how to manipulate the GuideStar public website in a timely manner. The manger of this research project was smart and had great patience in teaching others how to do the work effectively and efficiently. The most interesting part of the job was learning about the different organizations and what position was taken in regards to being pro-choice and pro life.
Pros
great work experience, excellent networking availability
Educational and fun workplace
Supervisor of Janitors (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 14, 2014
A typical day at work for me is making sure everything is in order and there are no complaints in any of my buildings from students or staff. My co-workers are great to work with and treat eachother with respect. I have learned a lot from this job even though I have had previous supervisor experience. I have one of the biggest/ busiest areas in all of UMASS Amherst campus. I have 45 employees (50 during summer) and in charge of 9 dormitories along with 1 on campus apartment complex that consists of 11 buildings totaling just under 120 apartments. I am the youngest supervisor on campus especially with this amount of employees. I enjoy that I am always kept busy so time goes by fast and the staff I work with great. Also I am salary plus get overtime so it works out nice.
Pros
benefits, paid lunch, out at 3 pm.
Flexible Fun Work Environment
Online Course Instructor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 6, 2015
As an online course instructor for an accelerated creative writing class, over winter term, I had the opportunity to teach a variety of students at various stages in their career. I enjoyed the individual, focused attention I was able to give each writer -- partly due to the relatively small class size (9 students) and partly due to the flexibility, creativity and control over the course material granted to me by my program.

Although I myself faced a learning curve utilizing the online technology, I felt I had ample support with the 24/7 campus tech team, whom I could contact through email or phone. I also had the experiences of fellow course instructors as useful references.
Pros
Ability to prepare most work in advance; Work at any time of day; Tuition waiver
Great opportunity to manage a group of people and work on my management skills.
Housing Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 4, 2013
The days would fluctuate depending on what work was needed, making each day have something new to offer. Being in charge of a crew up to eight members that would fluctuate from semester to semester, I had to learn each member's skills in a short amount of time and decide what each person excelled at. From here, each member would work together using what he was best at to complete the tasks efficiently. The hardest part of the job was keeping these workers motivated, but at the same time, this was the most enjoyable part because it was an extremely enjoyable and successful working environment when we were all on the same page.
Good experience and get to learn many things.
I. Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAMarch 23, 2015
Working at UMass Lowell was productive and get to learn many things. We worked on synthesis of nanoparticles such as silica nanoparticles coated with sugar. I assessed the cytotoxicity of these nanoparticles on mammalian cell lines like primary lung cells, macrophages and A549 cells. I have to troubleshoot the problems in cytoxicity and MIC assay which I considered as difficult part of my job. But at end, I get to learn many new techniques and get hands on experience on micro plate reader instrument, confocal microscopy and flow cytometry. Now I am looking for most challenging opportunities where I can apply my skills gained in laboratory.
Research Study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 21, 2013
• Performed research experiments on Protein Degradation, Unfolding, and Protein Quality Control
• Investigated the proteolytic activity between Response Regulators of Caulobacter crescentus and AAA+ ATP Dependent Protease.
• Studied response regulators in different pathways and CtrA and CpdR response regulators by using various lab techniques, such as Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), Agarose Gel Electrophoresis, Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate (SDS) Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis, Miniprep, Restriction Digestion, Transformation, Western Blot, Synchronization, Bacterial Adenylate Cyclase Two-Hybrid System (BACTH), and Taq Error Prone Mutagenesis.
awesome people dedicated to their profession.
Manufacturing Technician II (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAMarch 24, 2013
Checking cold rooms and storage areas. Entering data from plasma shipments, dressing in protective garments. How to handle bio hazard items safely, how to follow cGMP procedures, be able to work in a team friendly environment, all different walks of life, different cultures, young and old, educated and not.
Lots of reading of new updates to procedures. Going to lunch together spending the week-end at a party, the holidays and the people
Pros
16 paid holiday, 2 weeks sick time allowed to be acrued vacation, retirement
Research work, Publications.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAAugust 30, 2015
I am a graduate research assistant at University of Massachusetts. I work with a group of eight people all working towards the reliability of the systems. It a small group of people working together for world betterment.

I improved my ability to think, implement and acquired a knowledge to solve problems. The most enjoyable part of the job is attending group meetings where each person will talk about their research work and others provide the feedback to get the optimal solutions.

Want to know more about University of Massachusetts?

Ask a question
The most enjoyable part of the job.
Business Analyst (Graduate Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 28, 2012
The best part of the on campus job is that I get the opportunity to work with the extremely talented and enthusiastic professors from across the globe. So, I generally deal with the happy, optimistic, and creative people.

In college, the time is scarce and very precious. But this job provides me with a good experience, learning and at the same time saves my commute time. And also, it is a great way to connect with the academic resources and professionals at the university.
Gained lot of experience
Computer lab consultant / IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 5, 2015
- Provide IT Help Desk support and resolve technical issues
- Maintain all the printers’ & card readers’ network and desktop computer workstations all over the campus.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues
- Assist students and professors with hardware and software in all the undergraduate & graduate labs
- Assist students with disabilities with adaptive software and hardware technology
- Help supervisors install hardware, software, and resolve technical issues
Great job experience working with excellent professor and co-workers
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2015
It is a great working experience. Not only I learned the technique on how to write a professional financial report but also I had a chance to do some out of class financial literature review. I have compatible co-worker which is awesome because we can brain storming ideas and work together.
Pros
flexible working hours/great co-workers/great team work
Cons
pressure to meet the project deadline
Not an easy job.
Secretary to the Board of Trustees (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2016
No typical day, everyday was different depending on Board schedule. I worked well with co workers and some very difficult people. The hardest part of the job was it was a 24/7 position, I was always on call. Coordinating everyone's schedules and running meetings was very stressful. The best part was the relationships I established with the Trustees and I was paid well.
Pros
Co workers and Trustees
Cons
Co workers, stress, always on call.
Great learning opportunities
Manager, Organizational Development (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 27, 2014
Develop and oversee the training program for the Physical Plant Division. Coach for pilot self-directed work team in the Power Plant.

I learned how to coach members and facilitate team meeting; Was able to obtain training and certification for MBTI assessments and 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
Pros
supportive supervisor
Cons
limited opportunities to move to a higher level position
UMass Athletic Department
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2015
Working for the Vice Chancellor of Athletics and his direct Executive Assistant was a pleasure. I was constantly learning. As a student at the time the balance of work and studying was very important. Management understood and worked with me to make sure my studies came first while I finished the tasks at hand.
Pros
Free lunches, networking, and learning.
Cons
Work study compensation.
Fun and Balanced
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 13, 2015
Worked as a Residential Assistant, so class and res life were pretty balanced. Classes during the day and Res life in the evening. Planned events for residents based on students interests as well as held floor meetings. I ensured the safety of all residents and assisted during Fire Drill trainings. Wonderful experience. Worked with a team to create the best environment for all students.
A fun place to work and learn
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAJune 1, 2015
A typical day would be to answer phones and emails. I learned to be patient with the people I talk to and don't let there anger and frustration affect they way that I talk to them. Management is very helpful and friendly. My co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of the job is dealing with angry parents. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to help the person.
Lab Assistance
Lab Assistance (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAOctober 26, 2014
Learnt a lot about mentoring and assisting students through this job. It even polished my skills with matlab , multisim and Cadence. I worked in The basic electronics circuits labs 1 and 2 which had more than 50 computers. Maintaining every computer and keeping track of equipments like CROs and oscilloscopes where my prime responsibilities. I also had to re calibrate the systems.
A highly work-friendly environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 14, 2014
-As an Graduate Assistant I am acquiring necessary research skills
- The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new concepts about Business Intelligence & Business Analytic
- Working in association with professor helps in building up my reporting skills & maintaining relationship with faculty.
Pros
flexible work timings
Cons
no medical benefits

4.4