University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews in United States

A good place to work
Assistant to the Dean/Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAMarch 14, 2016
The University has been a good place to work so far. Benefits are good, though they are State benefits, and not comparable to other places I have worked. The pay is very good, friendly co-workers.
UMass Athletic Department
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2015
Working for the Vice Chancellor of Athletics and his direct Executive Assistant was a pleasure. I was constantly learning. As a student at the time the balance of work and studying was very important. Management understood and worked with me to make sure my studies came first while I finished the tasks at hand.
Pros
Free lunches, networking, and learning.
Cons
Work study compensation.
Umass Boston
Zumba┬« Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 11, 2016
Umass Boston's group fitness room was not the best. A typical day included waiting for the instructor before me to finish on time, and rushing to get my music ready for my class. The sound system was not good and very fuzzy. The floor was also not padded at all. The management was great, and the co-workers were nice. The hardest part of the job was leading class with such a hard floor. Eventually I had to leave this position because I would have knee pain after class. The most enjoyable part of the job was having students taking a break from studies and participating.
Pros
student atmosphere
Cons
sound system, flooring
Very good starting place to work for a trainer, great experience
Floor supervisor (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 9, 2016
Very good starting place to work for a trainer, great experience. It is very easy to work around your class schedule. The management is helpful but sometimes would like to see them be more lenient with minor screw-ups such as if you take a sick day, no matter the reason or if you have a note, they take points off. Points are a system used here to see if someone should be eligible for rehire, or even fired.
Writing Tutor
Reading, Writing, Study Strategies Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 9, 2016
Love the RWSSC. Great people, great co-workers ... dealing with the rest of the school on the other hand could often be a headache. The bureaucracy is notoriously bad.
Pros
Diverse work environment, good people
Cons
School administration in general is terrible
high energy environment with opportunity to write and research
Lecturer (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJuly 13, 2016
A typical day at work consists with teaching courses for doctoral students, and participating in doctoral dissertation committees.
The most enjoyable part of the work is teaching and advising students.
A good college for higher education
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAAugust 19, 2016
A good college for our higher education.
It is one of the best college which I have studied.
I have learned a lot of skills from Umass Dartmouth which include how to manage resources and work efficiently.
It was fun and very educative
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 22, 2016
The job was very interesting, and I have learnt a lot about new device and instrument including network analyzer, hydrophone, power amplifier and pre-amplifier. My co-workers were really supportive of what i was doing and helped me in every case.
Overall a good place to work
Professor of Laboratory Science (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJuly 26, 2016
I enjoyed my time at UMD. My position was eliminated. I enjoyed the students very much. The Department was woefully underfunded and has been for years.
Pros
Great Students
Cons
None reallt
Productive work place where you can learn a lot about food service.
Receiving/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 31, 2016
Management is very indifferent to problems with work space, and safety of employees. Co Workers seem to not get along very well.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Chances for advancement do not exist
company that matches my skill set
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAMay 31, 2016
I want a company that offers me a position which matches my skill set. I desire to work with growing company which has a good market reputation and also offers its employees a healthy working enviroment.
fun
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 25, 2016
This was a job I held while I was still an undergraduate student. It was one of the best jobs I had at that point in time. I performed research in a physics lab there.
Where we learn with purpose
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 23, 2016
This is a place that I expanded my research area from conventional plastics processing to cutting-dege material science. The graduate courses in Plastics Engineering are fantastic.
Data entry position
Clerk IV, Registrar, UMass Amherst (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAApril 29, 2016
Enjoyed being part of a University system. Worked with a friendly, courteous, and professional team.
Clear job expectations, very routine.
Pros
Friendly department atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks, monotonous, but necessary, work
Good benefits,
Director Of Access Control (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2016
The climate and culture was very unique and it just wasn't a good fit for overall.The best part of the job was the actual work and day to day operation to achieve the desired results. My least favorite part of the job was the level of communication ad time and energy spent to to move things along for effienciency perspective.
Not an easy job.
Secretary to the Board of Trustees (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 2, 2016
No typical day, everyday was different depending on Board schedule. I worked well with co workers and some very difficult people. The hardest part of the job was it was a 24/7 position, I was always on call. Coordinating everyone's schedules and running meetings was very stressful. The best part was the relationships I established with the Trustees and I was paid well.
Pros
Co workers and Trustees
Cons
Co workers, stress, always on call.
A great place to work.
Custodial Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 8, 2015
Supervising such a rich cultural environment was life changing. So many people touched my life, the places they came from and their life experiences made me realize just how lucky I am.
Pros
Good salary and great benefits.
Somewhat organized
Front/Back of house employee (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 23, 2016
Everyday varied sometimes I would be preparing the food and others I would be serving the food. I would have to keep a clean work space.
UMass Boston
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 11, 2016
I had the opportunity to work with smart, efficient, curious, and fun loving individuals from all around the world. I truly enjoyed working at UMass Boston
Pros
People, pay, benefits, location
Cons
Opportunity for advancement
Educational and fun workplace
Supervisor of Janitors (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 14, 2014
A typical day at work for me is making sure everything is in order and there are no complaints in any of my buildings from students or staff. My co-workers are great to work with and treat eachother with respect. I have learned a lot from this job even though I have had previous supervisor experience. I have one of the biggest/ busiest areas in all of UMASS Amherst campus. I have 45 employees (50 during summer) and in charge of 9 dormitories along with 1 on campus apartment complex that consists of 11 buildings totaling just under 120 apartments. I am the youngest supervisor on campus especially with this amount of employees. I enjoy that I am always kept busy so time goes by fast and the staff I work with great. Also I am salary plus get overtime so it works out nice.
Pros
benefits, paid lunch, out at 3 pm.

4.4