University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

A great place to work.
Custodial Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 8, 2015
Supervising such a rich cultural environment was life changing. So many people touched my life, the places they came from and their life experiences made me realize just how lucky I am.
Pros
Good salary and great benefits.
An Education with a Sense of Mission
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 7, 2015
I was surprised how much I appreciated being part of a public school where I was exposing students to a life as engineers that they knew nothing about, giving them opportunities their parents could only dream of.
Pros
Great Sense of Community
Cons
Isolated location
Flexible Fun Work Environment
Online Course Instructor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 6, 2015
As an online course instructor for an accelerated creative writing class, over winter term, I had the opportunity to teach a variety of students at various stages in their career. I enjoyed the individual, focused attention I was able to give each writer -- partly due to the relatively small class size (9 students) and partly due to the flexibility, creativity and control over the course material granted to me by my program.

Although I myself faced a learning curve utilizing the online technology, I felt I had ample support with the 24/7 campus tech team, whom I could contact through email or phone. I also had the experiences of fellow course instructors as useful references.
Pros
Ability to prepare most work in advance; Work at any time of day; Tuition waiver
Gained lot of experience
Computer lab consultant / IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 5, 2015
- Provide IT Help Desk support and resolve technical issues
- Maintain all the printers’ & card readers’ network and desktop computer workstations all over the campus.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues
- Assist students and professors with hardware and software in all the undergraduate & graduate labs
- Assist students with disabilities with adaptive software and hardware technology
- Help supervisors install hardware, software, and resolve technical issues
A fun place to work and learn
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAJune 1, 2015
A typical day would be to answer phones and emails. I learned to be patient with the people I talk to and don't let there anger and frustration affect they way that I talk to them. Management is very helpful and friendly. My co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of the job is dealing with angry parents. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to help the person.
it is a fun place to work
Dean's Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 20, 2015
It was a great experience. I was working with highly professional people. I learned and grow with this company even though it was a short term position.
Pros
free lunh
Cons
long break
Good workplace with amazing boss
Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 8, 2015
Working at the university was a pleasant experience. The boss was understanding, colleagues were helpful and overall a nice place to work.
Overall School is great, department is in a struggle
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAApril 26, 2015
Some of the new leadership for this particular department is still finding a balance between of leadership and personal development.
Pros
Free housing. Good leadership opportunities
Cons
Balance between work and personal life is a tough balance.
Great Learning Opportunity
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 6, 2015
UMass offered a work environment that was non stressful. they offered the IT staff an opportunity to Lear new job functions and expand their knowledge. This expansion of knowledge allowed staff to be able to take on other job functionality.
Great Corporation
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAApril 6, 2015
The company provides great working environment, compensation packages and career opportunity. However, I would like to pursue my further degree so I decided to move to US to study .
Good experience and get to learn many things.
I. Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAMarch 23, 2015
Working at UMass Lowell was productive and get to learn many things. We worked on synthesis of nanoparticles such as silica nanoparticles coated with sugar. I assessed the cytotoxicity of these nanoparticles on mammalian cell lines like primary lung cells, macrophages and A549 cells. I have to troubleshoot the problems in cytoxicity and MIC assay which I considered as difficult part of my job. But at end, I get to learn many new techniques and get hands on experience on micro plate reader instrument, confocal microscopy and flow cytometry. Now I am looking for most challenging opportunities where I can apply my skills gained in laboratory.
Microbial Ecology Laboratory Research intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 19, 2015
Academic Research laboratory. Learn new things everyday. Team work superb and sometimes free lunch after lab meeting
Pros
flexibility
Fun
Residential Academic Program (RAP) Mentor (Former Employee) –  AmherstMarch 10, 2015
This job doesn't exist anymore...But when it did exist it was an awesome job. Relatively no requirements and awesome compensation. By boss was also very nice and is now a good friend of mine.
Productive and creative research workplace
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAFebruary 24, 2015
Very productive research place where you are pushed to your limits so that one comes out with their best efforts without exhausting themselves. Some enjoyable part of the job are the daily tech talks along with free food.
Great job experience working with excellent professor and co-workers
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2015
It is a great working experience. Not only I learned the technique on how to write a professional financial report but also I had a chance to do some out of class financial literature review. I have compatible co-worker which is awesome because we can brain storming ideas and work together.
Pros
flexible working hours/great co-workers/great team work
Cons
pressure to meet the project deadline
Great experience
Assistant Soccer Coach (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAFebruary 12, 2015
Couldn't have asked for a better year of experience into college coaching. Got a great taste for the ups and downs of the business and worked with some great people.
A good environment and flexibility to work
Graduate Research Assistant, Marketing (Current Employee) –  BostonFebruary 10, 2015
The professor under whom I was placed was organized, appreciated hard work and honesty and provided flexibility in working hours to work.
A Great Teaching Institution
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAFebruary 6, 2015
Anyone with a passion for plastics should come here. The access to instruments and equipment is unparalleled.
Also professors are very approachable and take pleasure in the advancement of their students.
Courier
Health Services (Former Employee) –  Amherst MAJanuary 20, 2015
I enjoyed the courier position as well as working on the grounds
Pros
secure employment
Great experience
Apartment Living Advisor, Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 10, 2015
I am work on many different projects and department.
I was a tutor, teacher assistant, peer mentor, Research assistant etc.
Every job was a learning experience.

4.4