University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Great educational institute with a great overall work ethic.
Graduate Assistant (Center For Marketing Research) (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MASeptember 27, 2017
As a student i took on student roles which were available and it turned out to be a great experience whether it was teaching assistant or being a graduate assistant. Everyone was highly supportive and positive. It made my experience excellent overall. It motivated me to do much more!
excellent school for plastics engineering
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MASeptember 25, 2017
UMass Lowell has a world-renowned plastics engineering program with one of the best faculty one can think of. The processing labs are equipped with anything you need and one has wide access to almost any analytical equipment one would ever need.
Productive and educational
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 21, 2017
Very enjoyable. Working as a graduate assistant helped with the cost of tuition and provided health insurance. Hours were occasionally flexible. Wish it was a full time position.
Productive and worth giving a shot.
Intake Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MASeptember 17, 2017
It was a great experience working for UMass. Great benefits and ensure to take advantage of all the opportunities they have, especially becoming a SHARE member.
Great student position
Grader (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MASeptember 16, 2017
Best student position on campus, with flexible hours. Some events come with free food after, or babysitting time that can be used to do homework. Could work from home.
Pros
Flexible hours, sometimes free food from events
Cons
Limited number of hours
Campus center (not the school, just one department in the building)
Event Setup (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2017
Assist the building manager set up for events housed by student organizations held in UMass Boston. Do the work specifically assigned work delegated by the building manager.
Pros
Taught me being stagnant isn't what I want for my life.
Cons
Building managers held huge ego's.
Productive and learned some crucial data analysis
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2017
It was a great place to learn but could be better. The hardest part of the job was data categorization and I was successful in creating a procedural tool for the analysis.
Productive, learn and apply information effectively. Prepare to work when needed.
Police Cadet (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 9, 2017
Fast paced, competitive and remember to always apply information handed to you, out on the field. Remain safe at all times, with eyes and ears open, alert. Ready to write and make statements verbally.
Pros
Team structured, hands on
Cons
long hours, can be a little far from home.
This was an on campus job
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  BostonSeptember 6, 2017
This was an on campus job. Hence, most part of the questions not relevant. But whatever experience I have had, it has been great with tremendous support from the faculty
Great culture
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MASeptember 6, 2017
Increasing stipends would be the single most effective step I can think of to make this school more attractive to prospective graduate students. This would not only help ensure that enrolled students manage to complete their studies, but attract a more talented and capable set of future students.
Poor Morale
Academic Administrator (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 5, 2017
Overall, the work/life balance is very poor. Typical day can average 12-14 hours for a low salary. Professional development does not exist, and advancement is not available. Management is out of touch and is very complacent. Hardest part of the job is seeing people who do not try get the same raise as those who work really hard. In the end, you feel very abused and burned out. You get a good amount of paid time off if you can find time to take it and not have to check in while on vacation/out sick.
Pros
Good amount of time off
Cons
Poor work/life balance, low morale, complacent management
Great work place but has it cons
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MASeptember 5, 2017
Was a great place to work, but felt as if you could not move up in the company. I worked at UMass for two years and when my temporary position was over. I applied to many other jobs on campus but never heard anything back.Which was so disappointing considering, I worked there for two years and was never given a chance to continue working at a company I really enjoyed.
Great Job for students
Intramural Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 5, 2017
This is a great job for students who want to work while going to school. If you have the time during nights, this is a perfect job and has room for growth in your four years working.
Part time job
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MASeptember 5, 2017
It was nice to work with engineering team and building some nice out of the box project, great learning experience and interacting with the teams from various fields (physics, mechanical, electrical engineers).
Many high points but also many low...
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 4, 2017
UMass Boston is, theoretically, a great place to work. There is no formal dress code, but department heads can insist upon one in their offices. Business casual usually. There are innumerable benefits, not the least of which is the tuition. However, there are many departments with toxic atmospheres run by people who are brilliant and outstanding in their academic credentials but are spectacularly unprepared for dealing with people face to face. I lost count of the number of times bosses reduced me to tears. Nepotism and favoritism abound. But if you can find a great department, it's a great place to work.
Excellent opportunity to attned graduate school!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAAugust 29, 2017
As a TA at UMASS, I was able to complete my Master's Degree at no cost to myself, plus receive a weekly salary in return for grading 5 sections of calculus and tutoring. It was a temporary job which ended when graduate school ended, but it was a great experience, and an honor.
Pros
Free Master's Degree!!!! Challenging analytically, very social.
Cons
Temporary, some professors were very difficult to work for.
The most enjoyable part
Visiting Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAAugust 28, 2017
The most enjoyable part was working with the students and teaching them new techniques within the laboratory. It was rewarding to help them understand a difficult topic or exercise.
Well paid
Nursing/ 3LSD Cardiac/7 ICU Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 26, 2017
Excellent place to work. Love the people and the work environment. Worked at Umass for 20 years and hope to work there 20 more years. Provides the best benefits.
Umass Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Volunteer Services Office, Umass University CampusAugust 24, 2017
As a volunteer I've been able to work in several different departments. It's valuable experience to have when going forward in finding a job.

I've learned how to complete mailings and watched how customers/patients are handled.

All in all, I would recommend volunteering here.
Good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 24, 2017
Nice environment to work. Nice colleagues. Excellent research experience. Lot of possible exploration in research areas such as healthcare, artificial intelligence etc