University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

A well equipped place to do science
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 27, 2016
A great place to do research. Everyday the work was very time-demanding, keeping me busy and focused on my research. The most enjoyable part of my work was when I got the experiments to work out. Work in UMass Amherst was very enjoyable, to live in Amherst not much though.
A great place to work.
Custodial Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 8, 2015
Supervising such a rich cultural environment was life changing. So many people touched my life, the places they came from and their life experiences made me realize just how lucky I am.
Pros
Good salary and great benefits.
good
RN (Current Employee) –  Walpole, MAJune 18, 2013
average pay with lower than expected management support. hours were steady and the working conditions were as expected.
Pros
job security, union
Cons
upper management needs to be revamped
A fun place to work and learn
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAJune 1, 2015
A typical day would be to answer phones and emails. I learned to be patient with the people I talk to and don't let there anger and frustration affect they way that I talk to them. Management is very helpful and friendly. My co-workers were friendly. The hardest part of the job is dealing with angry parents. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to help the person.
awesome people dedicated to their profession.
Manufacturing Technician II (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAMarch 24, 2013
Checking cold rooms and storage areas. Entering data from plasma shipments, dressing in protective garments. How to handle bio hazard items safely, how to follow cGMP procedures, be able to work in a team friendly environment, all different walks of life, different cultures, young and old, educated and not.
Lots of reading of new updates to procedures. Going to lunch together spending the week-end at a party, the holidays and the people
Pros
16 paid holiday, 2 weeks sick time allowed to be acrued vacation, retirement
UMass Job
Football Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJune 10, 2014
I love the job but it doesn't come with benefits. I conduct cold calls throughout the day.
Pros
management
Cons
No benefits, compensation
fun and professional workplace
Administrative Assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAJanuary 29, 2016
Working at Grants & Contracts is a great experience. It is fun and professional work place. I have learnt a lot and my colleagues are great.
Great opportunity for students
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 25, 2015
Great place to work as a student. Management understands work and school balance. It was great to be able to work alongside my peers and help them succeed as well.
It was awesome
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MADecember 13, 2015
it was an educational experience, learned a lot of valuable skills that i was able to bring into the work force later on in life. If you have the opportunity definitely work here
Research work, Publications.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAAugust 30, 2015
I am a graduate research assistant at University of Massachusetts. I work with a group of eight people all working towards the reliability of the systems. It a small group of people working together for world betterment.

I improved my ability to think, implement and acquired a knowledge to solve problems. The most enjoyable part of the job is attending group meetings where each person will talk about their research work and others provide the feedback to get the optimal solutions.

Want to know more about University of Massachusetts?

Ask a question
A highly work-friendly environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 14, 2014
-As an Graduate Assistant I am acquiring necessary research skills
- The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new concepts about Business Intelligence & Business Analytic
- Working in association with professor helps in building up my reporting skills & maintaining relationship with faculty.
Pros
Flexible work timings
Cons
No medical benefits
Good experience and get to learn many things.
I. Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAMarch 23, 2015
Working at UMass Lowell was productive and get to learn many things. We worked on synthesis of nanoparticles such as silica nanoparticles coated with sugar. I assessed the cytotoxicity of these nanoparticles on mammalian cell lines like primary lung cells, macrophages and A549 cells. I have to troubleshoot the problems in cytoxicity and MIC assay which I considered as difficult part of my job. But at end, I get to learn many new techniques and get hands on experience on micro plate reader instrument, confocal microscopy and flow cytometry. Now I am looking for most challenging opportunities where I can apply my skills gained in laboratory.
Amazing opportunity to get exposure as a young prospective writer
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 15, 2014
Benefits of writing for HerCampus:
Work from anywhere
Flexibility with kind of work/article topics
Great Supporting Staff
Exposure into the field
Opportunity to develop as a young writer
Pros
Amazing opportunity
Cons
Unpaid
Nice place to do research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MADecember 7, 2015
A lot of promising research projects but the conditions of the old buildings are bad.Still nice place to work and the location is very advantageous.
Pros
Close to R&D market
Cons
bad laboratory conditions
Great learning experience
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 1, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of assisting in the design and maintenance of online surveys and relational databases using GuideStar Non-Profit Organization website to collect tax information for non-Profit organization that are pro-choice or pro-life. I helped manage data collection projects by entering tax data and electronic mailing dead-lines and transcribing notes onto an Excel Spreadsheet. I learned how to do extensive research and how to manipulate the GuideStar public website in a timely manner. The manger of this research project was smart and had great patience in teaching others how to do the work effectively and efficiently. The most interesting part of the job was learning about the different organizations and what position was taken in regards to being pro-choice and pro life.
Pros
great work experience, excellent networking availability
Great opportunity to manage a group of people and work on my management skills.
Housing Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 4, 2013
The days would fluctuate depending on what work was needed, making each day have something new to offer. Being in charge of a crew up to eight members that would fluctuate from semester to semester, I had to learn each member's skills in a short amount of time and decide what each person excelled at. From here, each member would work together using what he was best at to complete the tasks efficiently. The hardest part of the job was keeping these workers motivated, but at the same time, this was the most enjoyable part because it was an extremely enjoyable and successful working environment when we were all on the same page.
A Great Teaching Institution
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAFebruary 6, 2015
Anyone with a passion for plastics should come here. The access to instruments and equipment is unparalleled.
Also professors are very approachable and take pleasure in the advancement of their students.
Gained lot of experience
Computer lab consultant / IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 5, 2015
- Provide IT Help Desk support and resolve technical issues
- Maintain all the printers’ & card readers’ network and desktop computer workstations all over the campus.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues
- Assist students and professors with hardware and software in all the undergraduate & graduate labs
- Assist students with disabilities with adaptive software and hardware technology
- Help supervisors install hardware, software, and resolve technical issues
Fun
Residential Academic Program (RAP) Mentor (Former Employee) –  AmherstMarch 10, 2015
This job doesn't exist anymore...But when it did exist it was an awesome job. Relatively no requirements and awesome compensation. By boss was also very nice and is now a good friend of mine.
Research Study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 21, 2013
• Performed research experiments on Protein Degradation, Unfolding, and Protein Quality Control
• Investigated the proteolytic activity between Response Regulators of Caulobacter crescentus and AAA+ ATP Dependent Protease.
• Studied response regulators in different pathways and CtrA and CpdR response regulators by using various lab techniques, such as Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), Agarose Gel Electrophoresis, Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate (SDS) Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis, Miniprep, Restriction Digestion, Transformation, Western Blot, Synchronization, Bacterial Adenylate Cyclase Two-Hybrid System (BACTH), and Taq Error Prone Mutagenesis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Massachusetts. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4