University of Memphis Employee Reviews

Good
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Browning HallJune 26, 2017
Enjoyed being around the college students. Fun place to work. Excellent place to work and get an education. Nice, intelligent people. Do not work for grant funded positions, however. They run out of fund sooner or later.
Great school
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 16, 2017
The best school hands down. Consummate professionals when it comes to the professors. It was an experience of a lifetime. I truly had a good time attending college.
Loved this school
Camp Coach (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 12, 2017
I loved working with my coaches and grew a lot with my team every year. Got paid well in the summers to work camps and enjoyed being a part of the schools volleyball team.
Pros
great people
Cons
n/a
Great Work Place
Student financial advisor (Current Employee) –  TNJune 7, 2017
Great Job with room for growth and development. Customer service is the key to success at the University of Memphis. Everyday at the University is a new experience.
Fun and exciting work place
HVAC Mechanic/ General Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 1, 2017
Every day has something new to offer and there is always new training , you work on all types of HVAC equipment you have commercial and residential, safety is always the main goal, the staff is easy to get along with
Lcon
Admin /Full Time-Temp (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 24, 2017
A typical day at work consists of answering multiple line phone, transferring calls accordingly, scheduling meetings, reserving rooms for faculty, place catering orders as needed, give building tours, distributing mail, keeping the work rooms stocked, and any other job duties as assigned.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. The faculty and staff are wonderful and the students are always friendly and very respectful.
Not Enough Training
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 20, 2017
Was offered a temporary position with the misconception that when the contract ended the position would be modified then offered as a full time position. Instead the position was made into two seperate part time postions
Pros
The University is an effecient and respected place of employment.
Cons
My supervisor was not present or approachable and provided no oversight or training on the position
Enjoyed working there
COMPUTER LAB ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNMay 11, 2017
It was a relaxed environment where my responsibilities were clear and the management position workers were always willing to help and answer my questions when I had them.
Good Research and Technical Background
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 7, 2017
The university of Memphis is a renowned institution in Tennessee. I had to build tools to support the research projects and also used my expertise in Computer science to suggest improvements for more efficient solutions.
n/a
Resident Advisor/ Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Smith HallMay 2, 2017
It is a diverse place to work and you meet lots of great people.You get great communication skills and learn to work with many different people with many different personalities.
Stressful work environment
LINE COOK/PREP COOK (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 1, 2017
Typical day at work, I would come in and immediately have to start preparing the meal of the day, even tho i did my prep the day before. the day shift would use the night shifts prep. Management did not care how they treated the employees, nor did they get out and help when needed.
Typical large public university
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2017
Large public university with many types of employment. Benefits are average, salaries vary depending on type of position. Raises only occur annually across the board and are typically a 1 to 2 percent increase.
Pros
Ability to be Independent
Cons
Parking is expensive & somewhat inconvenient
Desk work
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNApril 18, 2017
I ensure that students swipe in when they enter the dorms.
I learned that you have to be nice no matter what type of day you have. I love the interaction. The hardest part of the job is when your shift hours are during the day.
Pros
Study time
Cons
amount of hours
Poductive and good carrer growth
Graduate Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2017
I learned development skills, management skills. UoM provides very good training for project specific skills and it was great experience to work for such a big organization. Training and skill enhancement sessions(apart from curriculum) provided by organization helped a lot to enhance the working skills
A great place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 11, 2017
The University of Memphis has made commitments to improving diversity and openness to diversity. There is still much work to be done in those areas, but I am confident that progress will be made.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
A lack of racial diversity in administrative positions
great place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 6, 2017
A typical day at work was relaxed and slow paced most of the time. I would sit at my desk and answer phone calls, process transcripts, send emails, run errands and assist students with the transcript process.
Able to do homework while at work. No long hours.
DESK ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 3, 2017
You are able to do school work while you work. This job put your schooling first. Fun work environment. The boss actually cares about her workers. Not much goes on such as fights, arguments and things with the residents.
Review
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 22, 2017
The recreational center will always be an amazing place to work at. It's amazingly very diverse, and well known for it's amazing staff. I would l recommend it to anyone!
Work in any condition weather
Landscaper (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 15, 2017
Overall it is not a hard job and offers benefits and advancement. We work rain, sleet, or snow. You are required to do yard work and some equipment used.
Can be a good company to work for...
Human Resources Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 13, 2017
The University of Memphis can be a very good company to work for...especially, if you are politically driven. If you cannot handle the office/organization's politics and the possibility of working hard and MAY not be supported because of your actions of integrity, etc., this might not be the best company for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Memphis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3