University of Memphis Employee Reviews

Lcon
Admin /Full Time-Temp (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 24, 2017
A typical day at work consists of answering multiple line phone, transferring calls accordingly, scheduling meetings, reserving rooms for faculty, place catering orders as needed, give building tours, distributing mail, keeping the work rooms stocked, and any other job duties as assigned.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. The faculty and staff are wonderful and the students are always friendly and very respectful.
Not Enough Training
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 20, 2017
Was offered a temporary position with the misconception that when the contract ended the position would be modified then offered as a full time position. Instead the position was made into two seperate part time postions
Pros
The University is an effecient and respected place of employment.
Cons
My supervisor was not present or approachable and provided no oversight or training on the position
Enjoyed working there
COMPUTER LAB ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNMay 11, 2017
It was a relaxed environment where my responsibilities were clear and the management position workers were always willing to help and answer my questions when I had them.
Good Research and Technical Background
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 7, 2017
The university of Memphis is a renowned institution in Tennessee. I had to build tools to support the research projects and also used my expertise in Computer science to suggest improvements for more efficient solutions.
n/a
Resident Advisor/ Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Smith HallMay 2, 2017
It is a diverse place to work and you meet lots of great people.You get great communication skills and learn to work with many different people with many different personalities.
Stressful work environment
LINE COOK/PREP COOK (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 1, 2017
Typical day at work, I would come in and immediately have to start preparing the meal of the day, even tho i did my prep the day before. the day shift would use the night shifts prep. Management did not care how they treated the employees, nor did they get out and help when needed.
Typical large public university
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2017
Large public university with many types of employment. Benefits are average, salaries vary depending on type of position. Raises only occur annually across the board and are typically a 1 to 2 percent increase.
Pros
Ability to be Independent
Cons
Parking is expensive & somewhat inconvenient
Desk work
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNApril 18, 2017
I ensure that students swipe in when they enter the dorms.
I learned that you have to be nice no matter what type of day you have. I love the interaction. The hardest part of the job is when your shift hours are during the day.
Pros
Study time
Cons
amount of hours
Poductive and good carrer growth
Graduate Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2017
I learned development skills, management skills. UoM provides very good training for project specific skills and it was great experience to work for such a big organization. Training and skill enhancement sessions(apart from curriculum) provided by organization helped a lot to enhance the working skills
A great place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 11, 2017
The University of Memphis has made commitments to improving diversity and openness to diversity. There is still much work to be done in those areas, but I am confident that progress will be made.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
A lack of racial diversity in administrative positions

Want to know more about University of Memphis?

Ask a question
great place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 6, 2017
A typical day at work was relaxed and slow paced most of the time. I would sit at my desk and answer phone calls, process transcripts, send emails, run errands and assist students with the transcript process.
Able to do homework while at work. No long hours.
DESK ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 3, 2017
You are able to do school work while you work. This job put your schooling first. Fun work environment. The boss actually cares about her workers. Not much goes on such as fights, arguments and things with the residents.
Review
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 22, 2017
The recreational center will always be an amazing place to work at. It's amazingly very diverse, and well known for it's amazing staff. I would l recommend it to anyone!
Work in any condition weather
Landscaper (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 15, 2017
Overall it is not a hard job and offers benefits and advancement. We work rain, sleet, or snow. You are required to do yard work and some equipment used.
Can be a good company to work for...
Human Resources Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 13, 2017
The University of Memphis can be a very good company to work for...especially, if you are politically driven. If you cannot handle the office/organization's politics and the possibility of working hard and MAY not be supported because of your actions of integrity, etc., this might not be the best company for you.
Productive n fun work place
Housekeeping/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 13, 2017
Keeping ur surroundings beautiful and functioning properly is mandatory at the U of M.Sports facilities. Class rooms etc must be kept at a high level.A fun work Environment with. Opportunity to Succeed
Great job opportunity for students.
Lab Attendant / Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 10, 2017
Working as a Lab Attendant on campus is probably one of the best student employment opportunities to pursue if you're looking for part-time work on campus. A typical day at work includes assisting students in the use of Windows-based PCs or Apple iMac computers or both depending on the lab. You are there basically to supervise and to answer questions about how to use programs on the computers, report technical malfunctions, and restock paper, ink cartridges, staples, etc. Depending on what shift you work, you could also be responsible for opening or closing the lab.

The work environment is very relaxed and the best part of the job is that you often have the free time to get some of your own homework done if no one is in need of assistance!

Management is fairly lax at most labs and student employees are generally given a good amount of independence. The hardest part of the job really depends on your personality and which lab you work in. Obviously, if you're someone who doesn't like talking to people, you may be uncomfortable in this position. Likewise, if you're easily overwhelmed by being around or needing to assist large amounts of people back to back, then you may want to work at a smaller computer lab in one of the humanities' halls. Buildings housing sciences generally have larger labs.

The Tech Hub in the University Center is a great lab to work in because you can take your breaks downstairs at any of the various restaurants if you're hungry. The lab is equipt with several printers, scanners and both Dell PC and Apple iMac workstations and can serve well over
  more... 50 students at once. Should you choose to work there, be prepared to be very active and knowledgeable about the lab's policies and services because people, especially the crowds of freshman, will ask you tons of questions!  less
Pros
Easy and fun job, relaxed environment, great customer service experience opportunity, decent pay
Cons
None, unless you're not a people person.
Informative and Productive
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 17, 2017
More relaxed atmosphere, but always busy. Being detail-oriented is a must. Observation skills are critical. Management and staff are helpful and knowledgeable.
Pros
You follow a set schedule
Cons
Its the same thing everyday
Great work environment
Assistant Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 9, 2017
No two days are the same and that is the best part.
I learn new things about the NCAA everyday.
The work culture is very diverse.
I have learned a lot about women's basketball. My main sport is women's volleyball.
Useful to learn new things
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 6, 2017
I am very happy for working in the University of Memphis because I am learning the new things and I am using my knowledge to my best which is useful for the college growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Memphis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3