University of Memphis Employee Reviews

Challenging, very demanding
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 20, 2013
As the faculty secretary, a typical day at work would comprise of accepting work assignments from any one of approximately 50 faculty members. What Iearned is that there is more than meets the eye in almost every situation. I've also learned to take advantage of any and all opportunities that presented themselves to me. Management seemed to be far removed from the needs of staff and students, and appeared to be more concerned with the bottom line as well as appeasing the faculty and older staff members who were used to performing their job duties a certain way. I throughly enjoyed my co-workers and had a really good working relationship with each of them. The hardest part of the job was knowing that being responsible for such a large amount of people was that I knew that I was never going to be able to respond to each person as quickly as they wanted me to.
Pros
having the chance to be around so many accomplished women in addition to attending school.
Cons
one person isn't sufficient to take care of the many demands of so many people.
Exciting and student focused environment
Resident Adviser (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 24, 2015
A typical day at work was going to school, doing rounds on my given days then going to sleep to do it again. I learned more patience, the proper way to handle certain situations, the importance of communication, and how much a smile/greeting can affect someone's day. Management was pretty cool. My co-workers were good, there were some of us who didn't do our work, some who did more than enough, some who did the bare minimum, and some who did the best they could. The hardest part of the job was balancing between being strict and being nice. The most enjoyable part of the job was putting smiles on other students face and that helping me smile even more and harder.
Pros
Meal Plan, flex bucks, Dinning Dollars, and free room and board (single room)
Cons
Having to address situations that were against the rules
A very relaxing type of environment
researcher assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis TNAugust 5, 2014
While doing research at University of Memphis it was very calm and relaxed which made me feel very comfortable but there were moments where I felt it to be a bit to lax to some degree making it hard to always know exactly what to do or what task needed to be preformed. If I am told what to do and shown how to do it, only if I do not know, I will try my best to complete the task but while doing research at the university of memphis's chemistry department, there were a lot of moments where I did not know exactly what to do making it somewhat very poorly managed, but all in all I really enjoyed learning about new things and studying in the field of science.
I will add that the reason for this may be due to my mentor being a bit busier than usual due to her own schedule which is totally understandable
Pros
calm and flexible
Cons
not well managed
Great staff and leadership, coowrokers were a charm, very fun job
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mitchell HallJanuary 20, 2013
As a tutor, I would meet science students and help them with everything from chemistry to genetics. I learned a lot about different people learn subjects differently, and this helps me learn how to adapt to different groups of people and adapt to different situations. The co-oworkers were a blast to work with; they taught me a lot about tutoring and were funny and warm. The hardest part of the job is managing a big group of people when I am the only one tutoring. Sometimes this proves to be the most rewarding and sometimes big groups turn out to be a lot of fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and haring with them a love for the sciences.
Pros
learn science while tutoring, meet new people, help others
Cons
have to tutor more than one person at a time, but this actually makes it funner and makes time go by faster
Productive, educational, and enjoyable workplace.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 6, 2014
In the specific lab that i worked in, the co-workers were a joy to be around with diligent workers that worked as a successful unit. The only difficult part of the job was that we were on our feet most of the time because there were so much up keep involved apart from testing the rodents. Weighing, feeding, double checking that the appropriate test was typed in for the specific rodent before, after and during the testing, filling syringes, cleaning the supplies etc. I learned to do my work with precision at a consistent pace. Our supervisor was excellent. They were there when needed but also trusted us to do the work on our own accord.
Strong department with great faculty and staff
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 27, 2012
Daily duties varied widely based on time of year and on which supervisor had priority at any given time. Basic duties included answering and directing calls, filing paperwork, assisting visitors, sorting and delivering mail, stocking office supplies, and making copies. Other duties varied depending by supervisor but included editing and sending emails, organizing faculty searches, filing invoices, and other general clerical tasks. The best part of the job was the friendly and supportive atmosphere, the hardest part was assisting upset students when classes were abruptly cancelled.
Pros
explicit willingness to work with school schedule, excellent training, wide range of assignment types.
Cons
lack of advancement opportunities.
Adjuncting
Adjunct Professor, Department of Anthropology (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 28, 2014
I loved teaching and designing my own class, often implementing non-traditional methods for evaluation and instruction. A few times it took students by surprise, but was more amiable to getting lessons across.

The university was mediocre to work for, but I was in an adjunct position, therefore the most likely to suffer from budget cuts. I did have free reign in my work, with little supervision. This was a blessing and a curse, and I sought out guidance from other sources when needed. Overall, I would do it again, as the experience has not only deepened my knowledge of societal systems, but professional systems and instruction.
Work study, fun ,positive learning enviornment, good people
Italian Tutor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 29, 2012
Being a language tutor and going to school was very fun at the University of Memphis. When assisting the students, you get that one on one experience and really get to tackle whatever trouble they are having. The boss was cool and everyone was easy going.
- I learned to single out problems better and to find the solution for them. I learned to communicate better with students,
- The hardest part was when a student would ask me an advanced question that I barely knew the answer to and I would have to look for help myself on the internet.
- The most enjoyable part was getting to know my students and having an everyday conversation with them in italian.
Pros
excellent workplace
It could not get any better than working with musicians, those who want to be musicians and listening to music while working.
Suzuki Piano, Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rudi E. Scheidt School of MusicNovember 17, 2013
My current job is fulfilling. My colleagues are great musicians.My students are adorable and listening to them is a joy.
But, at 60 years old, I want a little more adventure in my life. What could be more adventurous than working on a Cruise Ship?
My dream job is to be a librarian aboard a ship. The next best job would be playing classical music at a piano bar or collaborating with a classical singer while cruising the seas.
What a dream come true if either of the above were to happen!
Pros
working with wonderful musicians each day.
Cons
my office has no windows.
Great interaction with people from all walks of life
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 29, 2012
A typical day at work would consist of: reserving spaces for nursing events for various instructors, and running errands on campus. I've learned that working together is very important in order to get a goal accomplished. I enjoyed my relationship with my co-workers, and I have a tremendous respect for what they do as well. The hardest part of the job was keeping everybody happy. It was like walking a tightrope. What I liked most about the job was the diversity of the faculty, my co-workers as well as the students and potential students.
benefits
Cons
favoritism
Great Work Culture
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 11, 2012
Functioned as a member of a team; responsible for developing a new customer service manual that was later adopted and used by the University.

Essential Responsibilities:
• Coordinate all daily changes and ensure they are implemented successfully and documented as such in shift turnovers.
• Support Network Operations level 1 infrastructure via Enterprise Managing applications.
• Execute and/or support system testing off hours and weekends.
• Supports and assists with the operation and management of the IT infrastructure and systems including LAN, WAN, and phone systems.
Pros
friendly work staff
Cons
short breaks
Productive and a fun place to work
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 21, 2014
Maintained the front desk in the dorms.
Assisted the guest when they need help.
Check out male guest in the female dorm.

The challenging part of the job was experiencing the many different attitudes everyday while still following the rules. But I learn to find the most enjoyable moment everyday.

My co-worker were very trustworthy and dependable and also came to work most days with a very cheerful attitude.

The most enjoyable of working the desk were meeting the new people and have many conversations about their day and their struggles through out the day.
Very productive and educated work environment.
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 28, 2012
A typical day included helping the faculty and staff with tasks that needed to be done, such as typing documents, filing paperwork, or running errands. What I learned from this job experience is a more efficient way of doing receptionist work and how to professionally intereact with various personalities. Management and co-workers were great to work with. The most enjoyable part of this job was the interaction with faculty, staff, and students. The hardest part was having to leave because I graduated.
Pros
interaction with faculty, staff, and students
Cons
pay
Adjunct Professor...
Adjunct Professor - Communications Department (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 16, 2014
Very energetic students. Have a great supervisor that is available if needed. I gain great insight from my students as I hope they would from me.

Hardest part of the job is knowing that some will not take the class serious enough and lower grades (even failure) occurs.

Enjoying listening to my students grow as public speakers at the end of the semester. They literally blossom at the end.
Pros
friendly coworkers and students.
Cons
university is cost cutting and not enough classes for adjuncts as this time.
Productive and efficient workplace with a lot of fun
Mandarin Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 12, 2014
A typical day started with a 10-minute drive to school in the sunshine. Then class preparations, classroom lectures and discussions, language games and laughs. Both co-workers and students were from multicultural background, so there was a lot of fun comparing foods, clothes, traditions and languages in each culture. The hardest part for me in the beginning was the culture shock and language barrier. And the most enjoyable part of the job is that we organized various activities for students to take part in.
This wasn't a typical job
Undergraduate Physics Researcher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2014
I was asked by a professor to join their research group. I wasn't paid at first; I was only doing for the experience. After 1 year I started to receive pay. The professor I worked with shared every detail of the project with me and would actually listen to what I had to say. They encouraged me constantly and offered me guidance.
Pros
the fostering of creativity and taking trips to present my work
Cons
it was sometimes hard to believe that my work was important
Student worker
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 10, 2014
assisting staff and college students with computer services and support

I learned that no matter who you are we all could use a hand

managers was very supportive

co workers knew their role and was always team players

the hardest part of the job was working long nights and had class the next day

the best part of the job was to be able to study and work at the same time
Pros
working on campus
Cons
sleepy going to class
Great experience for graduate student
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 14, 2014
It has been a great first year at the University of Memphis. I have gained invaluable experience in research, and also personal training/strength and conditioning by working here. The professors are all extremely knowledgeable and treat graduate students as fellow faculty members. This next semester I will have experience teaching students and look forward to it.
Pros
tuition paid, stipend, hours
Cons
stipend isn't much, may need part time job to supplement
Laid back environment, nice place to work
Football Program Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 12, 2013
I open the office and begin checking emails, inventory, and work that needs to be done. The management isn't really clear on who is in charge but my co-workers are calm and efficient for the most part. There really isn't a hard part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job are the football games and meeting new people in powerful positions.
Pros
free lunches, free tickets
Cons
little opportunity for advancement
Great encouragement for career building
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 25, 2013
As a Graduate Assistant, I would work with students in order to advise them on their next classes to take the following semester. The student was the top concern whereas everything revolved around them: from being prepare for the appointment to smoothing out the communication gap between the University and the Student. Likewise, the director understood the human/student element in her Graduate Students. She encourage school and personal success with our best interest in mind.

4.4