University of Memphis

University of Memphis Employer Reviews

a hard working expereince
Ground Worker (Former Employee), memphis,tnMarch 25, 2014
working at the university of Memphis was a great experience. It taught me hard labor and showed me what I really wanted to do with my life.
•a typical day at work
Administrative Assistant, University of Memphis (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 25, 2014
Come to work on time, SMILE, do your best and hope that someone with notice your hardwork and dedication
An amazing staff of professors who are approachable and encourage excellence.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 18, 2014
Pros: professional networking
Cons: no health-care provided
My typical day at work consists of consulting with professors on lecture material, student information and grades, and upcoming plans. This takes place in a relaxed, professional environment- usually in the professor's office. I work with a brilliant group of aspiring intellectuals, some of whom are PhD candidates. I learn from observation primarily, – more... taking notes on the way advanced instructors convey complicated material to undergraduates. I then have multiple opportunities to develop a lecture of my own that fits within the syllabus and have stepped in for professors that have needed to take absentee days in order to attend conferences. The hardest part of my job is explaining grades to the undergraduates that I assist. However, I am understandable yet firm and will always stick with the judgment of a co-worker or professor in front of an undergraduate. If I do question the judgment of another TA or the professor, I will approach them professionally and as a partner. This is also the most enjoyable part of my job- the feeling of being a part of a team and the satisfaction that is achieved when a problem is resolved through amicable cooperation. – less
Very structured
Peer Advisor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 7, 2014
Pros: excellent staff and great communication
We were given the necessary training to schedule students for advising and career planning. Students were also advised by current students on which courses they should take and which career path was best for them.
Adjunct Professor...
Adjunct Professor - Communications Department (Current Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: friendly coworkers and students.
Cons: university is cost cutting and not enough classes for adjuncts as this time.
Very energetic students. Have a great supervisor that is available if needed. I gain great insight from my students as I hope they would from me.

Hardest part of the job is knowing that some will not take the class serious enough and lower grades (even failure) occurs.

Enjoying listening to my students grow as public speakers at the end of the semester. – more... They literally blossom at the end. – less
This wasn't a typical job
Undergraduate Physics Researcher (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: the fostering of creativity and taking trips to present my work
Cons: it was sometimes hard to believe that my work was important
I was asked by a professor to join their research group. I wasn't paid at first; I was only doing for the experience. After 1 year I started to receive pay. The professor I worked with shared every detail of the project with me and would actually listen to what I had to say. They encouraged me constantly and offered me guidance.
Very Productive work place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), 3825 desoto aveFebruary 5, 2014
I work as a part time student researcher.
I have learned the concepts of epidemiology and public health in general.
I also learned statistical packages such as SAS/ SPSS and many other skills
My co workers are my classmates and my Professors who helped me a lot in improving my skills in public health and Epidemiology
Quit place to work, study, and relax between the classes.
Scholarship service volunteer. (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 29, 2014
Some tasks completed include general office assistance and errands, assisting students and other visitors to the office, and serving as a mentor in the Adult Peer Networking program.
Campus Patrol
Security Escorter (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: met new people
Cons: worked in bad weather conditions
I provided for the safety and well being of students, faculty, staff and property through enforcement of college policies and procedures. I also reserved peace through conspicuous patrol, responded to calls for assistance including emergency and crisis situations, and provided other safety-related services.
Worked with students
Conference Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: free room and board
Cons: sometimes difficult working with students
I was a student assisting students, so things were a little stressful. But I appreciated the opportunity
Productive, educational, and enjoyable workplace.
Research Technician (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 6, 2014
In the specific lab that i worked in, the co-workers were a joy to be around with diligent workers that worked as a successful unit. The only difficult part of the job was that we were on our feet most of the time because there were so much up keep involved apart from testing the rodents. Weighing, feeding, double checking that the appropriate test – more... was typed in for the specific rodent before, after and during the testing, filling syringes, cleaning the supplies etc. I learned to do my work with precision at a consistent pace. Our supervisor was excellent. They were there when needed but also trusted us to do the work on our own accord. – less
Great for students
Building Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 2, 2014
If you live on campus and need a job then this will work great for you especially if you dont have a car
Real-time projects
Software Developer (Research Assistant) (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 1, 2014
Developed real-time projects using Unix Network Programming.
It could not get any better than working with musicians, those who want to be musicians and listening to music while working.
Suzuki Piano, Coordinator (Current Employee), Rudi E. Scheidt School of MusicNovember 17, 2013
Pros: working with wonderful musicians each day.
Cons: my office has no windows.
My current job is fulfilling. My colleagues are great musicians.My students are adorable and listening to them is a joy.
But, at 60 years old, I want a little more adventure in my life. What could be more adventurous than working on a Cruise Ship?
My dream job is to be a librarian aboard a ship. The next best job would be playing classical music at – more... a piano bar or collaborating with a classical singer while cruising the seas.
What a dream come true if either of the above were to happen! – less
Laid back environment, nice place to work
Football Program Service Specialist (Current Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 12, 2013
Pros: free lunches, free tickets
Cons: little opportunity for advancement
I open the office and begin checking emails, inventory, and work that needs to be done. The management isn't really clear on who is in charge but my co-workers are calm and efficient for the most part. There really isn't a hard part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job are the football games and meeting new people in powerful positions.
Challenging, very demanding
Office Associate (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 20, 2013
Pros: having the chance to be around so many accomplished women in addition to attending school.
Cons: one person isn't sufficient to take care of the many demands of so many people.
As the faculty secretary, a typical day at work would comprise of accepting work assignments from any one of approximately 50 faculty members. What Iearned is that there is more than meets the eye in almost every situation. I've also learned to take advantage of any and all opportunities that presented themselves to me. Management seemed to be far removed – more... from the needs of staff and students, and appeared to be more concerned with the bottom line as well as appeasing the faculty and older staff members who were used to performing their job duties a certain way. I throughly enjoyed my co-workers and had a really good working relationship with each of them. The hardest part of the job was knowing that being responsible for such a large amount of people was that I knew that I was never going to be able to respond to each person as quickly as they wanted me to. – less
Nice people to work with
Cheer Coach Intern (Former Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 26, 2013
Great people to work for and with. It was a good opportunity for growth in the career.
Good university for acadamic studies, to be improved for research.
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 23, 2013
Over all good University. typical day at work is 9-6. I have learned many skills and techniques. The management is good. Co workers are good. The hardest part is noisy lab atmosphere due to vacuum pumps. Enjoyable moment when I get my desired result in research.
Great learning environment with great support from the Professors
RESEARCH AND TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 19, 2013
Great learning environment with great support from the Professors
Lab experience in the Psychology Department
Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 9, 2013
Pros: scientific studies that are pretty interesting
Great learning experience for psychology undergrads: learn how to run participants in experiments, learn how to operate data systems, etc.

Hardest part: giving presentations