University of Memphis

University of Memphis Employer Reviews

Work-study, set amount of available money, good opportunity
Secretarial Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 11, 2014
Worked as a secretarial assistant on work-study for a department in my university. Co-workers were staff members and other college work-study participants; most of the time very friendly, though occasionally drama could seep through. Management varied depending on shift; some were good, some were occasionally inconsistent. My favourite part of the job – more... was getting to know and help the students and tutors who came through. – less
Great Learning Tool
Full Time Student (Current Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 5, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: overwhelming
I am a full-time student at University of Memphis. I have worked on different group project and special study. This was great learning experience networking and making a difference.
Excellent Workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 27, 2014
A very interesting place to work and at the same time learn. I came here approximately one year ago and the conditions and people are excellent. My contract with UoM ends in August 30th 2015.
Great learning environment
Adjunct Professor (Part-time) (Current Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 22, 2014
`University in the heart of Memphis.
Supportive environment
Positive interaction with students
A good place to work while in school
Phonathon Associate (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 12, 2014
A typical day at work at the University of Memphis Annual Giving Department included myself and about ten others making phone calls the alumni database. We updated alumni on current events and encouraged them to donate to the school. The hardest part of my job was asking people to donate large amounts of money. The most enjoyable part was talking to – more... interesting people on the phone. – less
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), MemphisSeptember 9, 2014
Great learning environment for students. I learned a lot here.
Application Specialist (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 30, 2014
Pros: family first
Cons: salary
Busy but productive, great teams, and colleagues. I learned how to process undergraduate applications, data entry, scan, provide customer service, use Banner and Matrix. Management believes in showing appreciation on a regular basis.
Student worker
Team Leader (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 10, 2014
Pros: working on campus
Cons: sleepy going to class
assisting staff and college students with computer services and support

I learned that no matter who you are we all could use a hand

managers was very supportive

co workers knew their role and was always team players

the hardest part of the job was working long nights and had class the next day

the best part of the job was to be able to study and – more... work at the same time – less
A very relaxing type of environment
researcher assistant (Former Employee), Memphis TNAugust 5, 2014
Pros: calm and flexible
Cons: not well managed
While doing research at University of Memphis it was very calm and relaxed which made me feel very comfortable but there were moments where I felt it to be a bit to lax to some degree making it hard to always know exactly what to do or what task needed to be preformed. If I am told what to do and shown how to do it, only if I do not know, I will try – more... my best to complete the task but while doing research at the university of memphis's chemistry department, there were a lot of moments where I did not know exactly what to do making it somewhat very poorly managed, but all in all I really enjoyed learning about new things and studying in the field of science.
I will add that the reason for this may be due to my mentor being a bit busier than usual due to her own schedule which is totally understandable – less
great place to work.
Campus Tour Guide (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJuly 14, 2014
I was able to balance my studies as well as working full time.
A great place to touch lives
LSAMP Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJuly 8, 2014
I was a student worker who helped other students develop skills to help enrich the underrepresented middle and high school students we tutored/mentored.
like to work there in certain departments
ESL Instructor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJune 23, 2014
good place to work and fairly family oriented. It is hard to get tenure unless you are published in several places.
Great and fun workplace.
Athletic Counselor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJune 17, 2014
Day is full of excitement and fun.
Learned about laying aside individual, social, economic, and cultural differences to work for the benefit of all.
TAUGHT ACCOUNTING COURSES
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Former Employee), Jackson, TNJune 7, 2014
Pros: teaching young people.
Cons: only a one semster position
TAUGHT TWO CLASSES A WEEK. DEVELOPED A LECTURE PLAN AND TEST FOR TWO DIFFERENT COURSES IN THE FIELD OF ACCOUNTING.
Positive community outreach.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJune 5, 2014
Working at the YMCA allowed me to learn many skills associated with community outreach and volunteering. We set many goals for the community around us to promote healthy living principles.
Adjuncting
Adjunct Professor, Department of Anthropology (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 28, 2014
I loved teaching and designing my own class, often implementing non-traditional methods for evaluation and instruction. A few times it took students by surprise, but was more amiable to getting lessons across.

The university was mediocre to work for, but I was in an adjunct position, therefore the most likely to suffer from budget cuts. I did have – more... free reign in my work, with little supervision. This was a blessing and a curse, and I sought out guidance from other sources when needed. Overall, I would do it again, as the experience has not only deepened my knowledge of societal systems, but professional systems and instruction. – less
Productive and a fun place to work
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 21, 2014
Maintained the front desk in the dorms.
Assisted the guest when they need help.
Check out male guest in the female dorm.

The challenging part of the job was experiencing the many different attitudes everyday while still following the rules. But I learn to find the most enjoyable moment everyday.

My co-worker were very trustworthy and dependable and – more... also came to work most days with a very cheerful attitude.

The most enjoyable of working the desk were meeting the new people and have many conversations about their day and their struggles through out the day. – less
Great experience for graduate student
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 14, 2014
Pros: tuition paid, stipend, hours
Cons: stipend isn't much, may need part time job to supplement
It has been a great first year at the University of Memphis. I have gained invaluable experience in research, and also personal training/strength and conditioning by working here. The professors are all extremely knowledgeable and treat graduate students as fellow faculty members. This next semester I will have experience teaching students and look – more... forward to it. – less
Insightful, fast pace
Help Desk Agent, U of M Help Desk (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 13, 2014
Cons: temporary
I answered phones and operated from double screens during calls, I was professional and patient. I learned how to use a lot of different software on this job. Management was professional and my co-workers were welcoming and fun to be around.
Ok place to work
Parking Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 12, 2014
They dont really give raises and the pay is very low. But its a great place to work, network, and meet new people.

1 2 3 4 5