University of Memphis Employee Reviews

Informative and Productive
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 17, 2017
More relaxed atmosphere, but always busy. Being detail-oriented is a must. Observation skills are critical. Management and staff are helpful and knowledgeable.
Pros
You follow a set schedule
Cons
Its the same thing everyday
Great work environment
Assistant Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 9, 2017
No two days are the same and that is the best part.
I learn new things about the NCAA everyday.
The work culture is very diverse.
I have learned a lot about women's basketball. My main sport is women's volleyball.
Useful to learn new things
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 6, 2017
I am very happy for working in the University of Memphis because I am learning the new things and I am using my knowledge to my best which is useful for the college growth.
Great Experience
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 23, 2017
This job helped in providing experience I needed while wanting us to focus on school. The typical tasks were communicating with students, staff, and the public. I answered phones, worked to help protect the university, and work with my bosses in bettering the experience of the campus. I will enjoyed that it worked around my class schedule and allowed us to work on school work if we did not need to help any one.
Pros
scheduling, allowed me to work on classwork
Cons
We could not work any more than 20 hours a week or get raises
school
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 18, 2017
they actually dont care about the employee that work for them when they actually are down and out . they dont care if you have death in the family at all they need to do better with management
Pros
college
Cons
students crazy
excellent for advanced education needs
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 9, 2017
Enjoyed the school and professors. After four years and graduation, still no job. Look forward to using the skills gained here to advance my career.
Graduate assistantships are pursued for the rewarding experience not the money or benefits.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 22, 2016
Any pursuit of a degree higher than a bachelors should be expected to come with minimum pay and no benefits. The research tends to be its own reward, however, the pay was not even nearly living wages as is normal for a GA, I would assume. This specific assistantship was particularly abysmal, due to management focusing much more on side pursuits and money than the research and the science.
Supportive environment
Clinical Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 30, 2016
The University of Memphis is supportive of faculty initiatives and research agendas. Internal grants and support for writing external grants is excellent.
Grounds Worker.
Grounds worker (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 29, 2016
Best job that I have came across. Laid back, constant work. And can work at your own pace. Very calm and understanding supervision. Makes Working something you look forward to. And overtime is available.
Pros
Doing your own work with no interruptions. Plenty of overtime work.
Cons
Short breaks.
Good environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 14, 2016
experienced professor and wide range of course offer.Good opportunity for self development.Nice environment and very good library.Safe place to walk alone.
Good people
Student (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 17, 2016
Fun work environment. Hard working managers who were there for not only the customers but also the employees. I loved it
Hard working Graduate Assistants but professors and internal structure of management needs retooling.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 6, 2016
I enjoyed my time at the University of Memphis and left with a Master's Degree in Chemistry with an PhD level education I believe. It is possible that it was my particular research group but I feel that the Chemistry Department needs to figure out how to graduate Chemistry PhD's more efficiently and in a more timely manner.
Pros
Positive work environment, critical feedback, and sophisticated instrumentation.
Cons
Ambiguous time required for graduation.
Great people, other things lacking
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 12, 2016
Overall a good place to work. Good benefits. Salaries could be higher. Management could be more in touch with how things work on the ground. Extremely short staffed so job duties are added constantly. Positions turn over quickly because of this so watch job boards for a while before applying so you can know who stays and who leaves.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Low pay, poor management
An Experience
Account Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 2, 2016
The U of M was a wonderful university to work. It was diversified and you could learn something new everyday. From working with veterans, foreign exchange students and new freshmen everyday was never a typical day.
Very Student Focused
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 31, 2016
Very engaged faculty and supportive Dean. Students are eager to learn and also engaged. Enjoy working with the faculty and students.
Good people
Retention counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 29, 2016
While the management could have been better, especially in terms of advancement, the people were friendly and helpful. It was difficult to move up although I had more experience and education over that of my counterparts, I was bypassed multiple times for promotions. This became frustrating.
The most enjoyable part of the job as the autonomy and freedom to create programs.
Pros
occasional free tickets
Cons
glass ceiling
Pays decently but management can be unfair.
Resident Advisor (RA) (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 11, 2016
Out of every university in the state, Memphis pays resident advisers the most. However, this is because advisers don't usually stick around too long. This is due to many conditions that are not ideal. Buildings seem to be constructed in ill ways and management will often ignore maintenance requests.
Pros
Well payed.
Cons
Little support from management
Culture shock
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 10, 2016
I was being held back due to others preferring white over blacks.
Could not obtain the support required to handle the job - training, co-worker support.
Backstabbing overwhelming.
I brought over ten years of experience and there was no reason why I was let go when I received praises for work well done.
Pros
I enjoyed interacting with the students
Cons
racially and cultural issues
Heavy work, but worth it
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 12, 2016
working with student and help them to develop their musical skills. Heavy collaborative works in piano, every semester will be assigned to different students.
The University of Memphis was a good place to work.
Head Start Family Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 5, 2016
I enjoyed working for The University of Memphis while I was employed with them. The University offered great benefits to the full-time employees.
Pros
Tuition Discount
Cons
Advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Memphis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3