University of Memphis Employee Reviews in United States

Being a student of U of Memphis
Student (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 24, 2016
Being a student there is very educational and has its perks as well as achievements. As a student, I have evolved and became more independent and strong as an individual. Attending U of Memphis has allowed me to experience a new horizon and I'm excited about the opportunity for advancement. There are a lot of things that I need to experience but hopefully, I will be able to grasp that and more through ambition, strength, and determination.
Working as a student
Service Desk Mentor - ITS Services (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 14, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the University of Memphis. I was able to work with students and visiting in assisting their technology needs as well as interact with coworkers in a pleasing work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the ease in which the department worked, productivity was boosted, employee turnover was low, employee satisfaction was high. Unfortunately there are not enough full time positions available once a student has graduated or is no longer a student.
Pros
Good coworkers, good training opportunities
Cons
no food discounts
Good people
Retention counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 29, 2016
While the management could have been better, especially in terms of advancement, the people were friendly and helpful. It was difficult to move up although I had more experience and education over that of my counterparts, I was bypassed multiple times for promotions. This became frustrating.
The most enjoyable part of the job as the autonomy and freedom to create programs.
Pros
occasional free tickets
Cons
glass ceiling
Culture shock
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 10, 2016
I was being held back due to others preferring white over blacks.
Could not obtain the support required to handle the job - training, co-worker support.
Backstabbing overwhelming.
I brought over ten years of experience and there was no reason why I was let go when I received praises for work well done.
Pros
I enjoyed interacting with the students
Cons
racially and cultural issues
Pays decently but management can be unfair.
Resident Advisor (RA) (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 11, 2016
Out of every university in the state, Memphis pays resident advisers the most. However, this is because advisers don't usually stick around too long. This is due to many conditions that are not ideal. Buildings seem to be constructed in ill ways and management will often ignore maintenance requests.
Pros
Well payed.
Cons
Little support from management
Exciting and student focused environment
Resident Adviser (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 24, 2015
A typical day at work was going to school, doing rounds on my given days then going to sleep to do it again. I learned more patience, the proper way to handle certain situations, the importance of communication, and how much a smile/greeting can affect someone's day. Management was pretty cool. My co-workers were good, there were some of us who didn't do our work, some who did more than enough, some who did the bare minimum, and some who did the best they could. The hardest part of the job was balancing between being strict and being nice. The most enjoyable part of the job was putting smiles on other students face and that helping me smile even more and harder.
Pros
Meal Plan, flex bucks, Dinning Dollars, and free room and board (single room)
Cons
Having to address situations that were against the rules
Sign Language Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 23, 2016
Great atmosphere to work in, only downside is that I was considered temporary so I did not receive any type of benefits. Great staff.
Very effectie college
Adjunct Math Professor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 14, 2016
This college has a lot of majors and prepare students to different careers. They take good care about adjunct instructors by assigning convenient classes.
Great for Students to work
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 28, 2016
They always worked around my schedule. I enjoyed the benefits of being able to work at my own pace. The co-workers are friendly. I learned many new skills on my own and while learning from others. The hardest part of this job is keeping up with the pace when the school year starts to get hectic.
Pros
Flexible around scheduel
Cons
No benefits for student workers
Advancement not possible
Coach (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 13, 2016
I have been told for years that money is not in place in the budget for increase in pay. Same pay my tenure here. I have been told that my position is the back bone of this department but when you are to ask of something you get turned away. I understand the restraints to this position but trying to do more with less every year is more and more difficult.
Pros
Travel and Nike Allotment
Cons
No time off.
Excellent work environment
Massage therapist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 6, 2016
The staff in the recreation center is amazing and very easy to work with. They're big on promoting health through workshops and informative seminars.
Pros
control of schedule, great compensation, pleasurable work environment
Cons
wish i worked there more!
The University of Memphis was a good place to work.
Head Start Family Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 5, 2016
I enjoyed working for The University of Memphis while I was employed with them. The University offered great benefits to the full-time employees.
Pros
Tuition Discount
Cons
Advancement
Fun productive workplace
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 30, 2016
My boss was awesome, very understanding and taught me how to use microsoft excel and office. The office had its busy times in the afternoon, but mostly slow in the mornings.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
Contract work
Heavy work, but worth it
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 12, 2016
working with student and help them to develop their musical skills. Heavy collaborative works in piano, every semester will be assigned to different students.
Great place to become affiliated with superior people
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 20, 2016
Great place to work! Very nice coworkers and supervisors. They are especially understanding of students employed through them.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Establishment that is willing to help you grow as a student and professional.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Student Leadership and InvolvementMay 17, 2016
The University of Memphis is a great place to work at. There are various opportunities for anyone to network with a professional in his or her field.
Excellent working environment with a wonderful staff
Work Study - Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 5, 2016
Working here has been a great pleasure. People in this department are very friendly, and try to help each other out whenever they can. The work is very fulfilling.
n/a
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 3, 2016
Great place to be employed! Everyday was a new learning experience and the management was very hands on and encouraging.
Assisting in filming
Production Crew, assitant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 2, 2015
Part of the production crew is set up and take down all film equipment as well as film on game days. I assisted a few games to gain experience I had never gained before in the field of Sport and leisure management
Pros
on field experience with filming
Cons
not paid, but good intern
Worked as a Graduate Assistant
Assisting faculty (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 11, 2016
Assistant Faculty and worked on Qualtrics tool which helped the faculty do their surveys fast and easy.
Was great to work with all my faculty

4.4