University of Memphis

University of Memphis Employer Reviews

Productive and a fun place to work
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 21, 2014
Maintained the front desk in the dorms.
Assisted the guest when they need help.
Check out male guest in the female dorm.

The challenging part of the job was experiencing the many different attitudes everyday while still following the rules. But I learn to find the most enjoyable moment everyday.

My co-worker were very trustworthy and dependable and also came to work most days with a very cheerful attitude.

The most enjoyable of working the desk were meeting the new people and have many conversations about their day and their struggles through out the day.
Great experience for graduate student
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 14, 2014
Pros: tuition paid, stipend, hours
Cons: stipend isn't much, may need part time job to supplement
It has been a great first year at the University of Memphis. I have gained invaluable experience in research, and also personal training/strength and conditioning by working here. The professors are all extremely knowledgeable and treat graduate students as fellow faculty members. This next semester I will have experience teaching students and look forward to it.
Insightful, fast pace
Help Desk Agent, U of M Help Desk (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 13, 2014
Cons: temporary
I answered phones and operated from double screens during calls, I was professional and patient. I learned how to use a lot of different software on this job. Management was professional and my co-workers were welcoming and fun to be around.
Ok place to work
Parking Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 12, 2014
They dont really give raises and the pay is very low. But its a great place to work, network, and meet new people.
Productive and efficient workplace with a lot of fun
Mandarin Teacher (Former Employee), Memphis, TNApril 12, 2014
A typical day started with a 10-minute drive to school in the sunshine. Then class preparations, classroom lectures and discussions, language games and laughs. Both co-workers and students were from multicultural background, so there was a lot of fun comparing foods, clothes, traditions and languages in each culture. The hardest part for me in the beginning was the culture shock and language barrier. And the most enjoyable part of the job is that we organized various activities for students to take part in.
a hard working expereince
Ground Worker (Former Employee), memphis,tnMarch 25, 2014
working at the university of Memphis was a great experience. It taught me hard labor and showed me what I really wanted to do with my life.
•a typical day at work
Administrative Assistant, University of Memphis (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 25, 2014
Come to work on time, SMILE, do your best and hope that someone with notice your hardwork and dedication
An amazing staff of professors who are approachable and encourage excellence.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 18, 2014
Pros: professional networking
Cons: no health-care provided
My typical day at work consists of consulting with professors on lecture material, student information and grades, and upcoming plans. This takes place in a relaxed, professional environment- usually in the professor's office. I work with a brilliant group of aspiring intellectuals, some of whom are PhD candidates. I learn from observation primarily, taking notes on the way advanced instructors convey complicated material to undergraduates. I then have multiple opportunities to develop a lecture of my own that fits within the syllabus and have stepped in for professors that have needed to take absentee days in order to attend conferences. The hardest part of my job is explaining grades to the undergraduates that I assist. However, I am understandable yet firm and will always stick with the judgment of a co-worker or professor in front of an undergraduate. If I do question the judgment of another TA or the professor, I will approach them professionally and as a partner. This is also the most enjoyable part of my job- the feeling of being a part of a team and the satisfaction that is achieved when a problem is resolved through amicable cooperation.
Very structured
Peer Advisor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 7, 2014
Pros: excellent staff and great communication
We were given the necessary training to schedule students for advising and career planning. Students were also advised by current students on which courses they should take and which career path was best for them.
Adjunct Professor...
Adjunct Professor - Communications Department (Current Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: friendly coworkers and students.
Cons: university is cost cutting and not enough classes for adjuncts as this time.
Very energetic students. Have a great supervisor that is available if needed. I gain great insight from my students as I hope they would from me.

Hardest part of the job is knowing that some will not take the class serious enough and lower grades (even failure) occurs.

Enjoying listening to my students grow as public speakers at the end of the semester. They literally blossom at the end.
This wasn't a typical job
Undergraduate Physics Researcher (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: the fostering of creativity and taking trips to present my work
Cons: it was sometimes hard to believe that my work was important
I was asked by a professor to join their research group. I wasn't paid at first; I was only doing for the experience. After 1 year I started to receive pay. The professor I worked with shared every detail of the project with me and would actually listen to what I had to say. They encouraged me constantly and offered me guidance.
Very Productive work place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), 3825 desoto aveFebruary 5, 2014
I work as a part time student researcher.
I have learned the concepts of epidemiology and public health in general.
I also learned statistical packages such as SAS/ SPSS and many other skills
My co workers are my classmates and my Professors who helped me a lot in improving my skills in public health and Epidemiology
Quit place to work, study, and relax between the classes.
Scholarship service volunteer. (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 29, 2014
Some tasks completed include general office assistance and errands, assisting students and other visitors to the office, and serving as a mentor in the Adult Peer Networking program.
Campus Patrol
Security Escorter (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: met new people
Cons: worked in bad weather conditions
I provided for the safety and well being of students, faculty, staff and property through enforcement of college policies and procedures. I also reserved peace through conspicuous patrol, responded to calls for assistance including emergency and crisis situations, and provided other safety-related services.
Worked with students
Conference Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: free room and board
Cons: sometimes difficult working with students
I was a student assisting students, so things were a little stressful. But I appreciated the opportunity
Productive, educational, and enjoyable workplace.
Research Technician (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 6, 2014
In the specific lab that i worked in, the co-workers were a joy to be around with diligent workers that worked as a successful unit. The only difficult part of the job was that we were on our feet most of the time because there were so much up keep involved apart from testing the rodents. Weighing, feeding, double checking that the appropriate test was typed in for the specific rodent before, after and during the testing, filling syringes, cleaning the supplies etc. I learned to do my work with precision at a consistent pace. Our supervisor was excellent. They were there when needed but also trusted us to do the work on our own accord.
Great for students
Building Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 2, 2014
If you live on campus and need a job then this will work great for you especially if you dont have a car
Real-time projects
Software Developer (Research Assistant) (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 1, 2014
Developed real-time projects using Unix Network Programming.
It could not get any better than working with musicians, those who want to be musicians and listening to music while working.
Suzuki Piano, Coordinator (Current Employee), Rudi E. Scheidt School of MusicNovember 17, 2013
Pros: working with wonderful musicians each day.
Cons: my office has no windows.
My current job is fulfilling. My colleagues are great musicians.My students are adorable and listening to them is a joy.
But, at 60 years old, I want a little more adventure in my life. What could be more adventurous than working on a Cruise Ship?
My dream job is to be a librarian aboard a ship. The next best job would be playing classical music at a piano bar or collaborating with a classical singer while cruising the seas.
What a dream come true if either of the above were to happen!
Laid back environment, nice place to work
Football Program Service Specialist (Current Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 12, 2013
Pros: free lunches, free tickets
Cons: little opportunity for advancement
I open the office and begin checking emails, inventory, and work that needs to be done. The management isn't really clear on who is in charge but my co-workers are calm and efficient for the most part. There really isn't a hard part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job are the football games and meeting new people in powerful positions.