University of Memphis Employee Reviews

Great encouragement for career building
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 25, 2013
As a Graduate Assistant, I would work with students in order to advise them on their next classes to take the following semester. The student was the top concern whereas everything revolved around them: from being prepare for the appointment to smoothing out the communication gap between the University and the Student. Likewise, the director understood the human/student element in her Graduate Students. She encourage school and personal success with our best interest in mind.
Work-study, set amount of available money, good opportunity
Secretarial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 11, 2014
Worked as a secretarial assistant on work-study for a department in my university. Co-workers were staff members and other college work-study participants; most of the time very friendly, though occasionally drama could seep through. Management varied depending on shift; some were good, some were occasionally inconsistent. My favourite part of the job was getting to know and help the students and tutors who came through.
I worked for The Department of Anthropology/TOADS Project
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 17, 2012
Tracked and prepared systems reports, weekly and monthly for The State of TN and University of Memphis, and was involved in year end closing. At the end of the year the reports were analyzed and approved then complied in book form and sent to The State of TN, University, facilities and any other persons involved in the program.
Pros
i learned a lot of information that will take me to the next level.
Graduate Research Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 9, 2015
I oversaw transcription and data analysis for my Advising Professor as well as aided in copyediting, proofreading, and assembly of a grant proposal for an upcoming research project. In addition I averaged and assigned exam grades, prepared class readings, and taught and prepared undergraduate class material. Other duties that I performed included planing and organizing special events as well as aided in the development of student-alumni mentorship program.
A good place to work while in school
Phonathon Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 12, 2014
A typical day at work at the University of Memphis Annual Giving Department included myself and about ten others making phone calls the alumni database. We updated alumni on current events and encouraged them to donate to the school. The hardest part of my job was asking people to donate large amounts of money. The most enjoyable part was talking to interesting people on the phone.
Excessive work, little pay
Supervisor-Tony Johnson (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 8, 2012
Everyday ended up carrying buckets from building to building even when a heat advisory was in effect. I actually didnt learn anything. It is the basics to cleaning a room/dorm. Management was hardly ever there. Co-workers were young and childish. Hardest part was carrying the buckets out in the heat. Most enjoyable part was getting off.
Productive and fun workplace with computers
Sportswriter/ Editor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 16, 2012
I got to do what I've always wanted to do in life -- work and talk about sports all day, everyday. I ran the sports section and was able to sit front row with the media at every sporting event.
Pros
great wokplace, people are great to get along with, you get to work with athletes
Cons
no healthcare; sometimes long hours; no overtime
Working in an Institution is a good collective working environment, I loved it!
Model and Teacher Aid (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 28, 2012
I did nude yoga for figure structure and life drawing classes... I had full respect for the students and teachers and I worked there two years until I was referred to the International Memphis College Of Art and worked there another Nine Years until I moved out of state!
Pros
good people, nice environment
VERY DIVERSE PLACE FOR LEARNING
FITNESS ASSISTANT/PERSONAL TRAINER/MAINTENANCE (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 21, 2012
I REALLY ENJOYED MY TIME THERE AT U OF M, BUT HOWEVER I HAD TO LEAVE BECAUSE THERE WAS'NT ANY ROOM FOR MY CONTINUED GROWTH.
Pros
i had the opportunity to work with good people and athletes, i also got to workout anytime i wanted.
Cons
no career advancement opportunities, or raises
Gained valuable experience recruiting, event planning, and public speaking
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 28, 2013
My experience as a Student Ambassador for the Kemmons Wilson School of Hospitality was very enjoyable. My daughter graduated from the program one year earlier, and we are the first mother-daughter team to graduate from the school. My perspective as a current student and parent was helpful in identifying the needs of students and my enthusiasm for the program beneficial in recruitment.
Fun workplace and great associates.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 8, 2012
A great place to learn new things and put them into action. I was able to acquire skill that allowed me to understand how difficult it is to create a computer system and take into the real world. I had my funnest years there.
Pros
great faculty, great associates and friends
Cons
long hours, little pay
Very productive place to work
Academic Administrative Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 27, 2013
I am the administrative liason for the Health and Sport Sciences Department and I am responsible for fulfilling and aiding in the planning and execution of academia and physical activity for Sport Leisure Commerce, Health and Human Performance, Physical Education/Teacher Education, and Exercise Sport Sciences. The most enjoyable part of my jobs are my daily interactions with faculty, staff, and the students.
Perfect for people pursuing masters.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  MemphisJuly 27, 2015
I worked with different faculty members and mainly helped on of the professors manage an undergraduate organization. I learned different excel techniques. Management was ok. I enjoyed my co-workers and other faculty members that I would work with. The pay was perfect and allowed me to get my masters with no debt.
Pros
Debt free masters
Cons
unorganized
Good university for acadamic studies, to be improved for research.
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 23, 2013
Over all good University. typical day at work is 9-6. I have learned many skills and techniques. The management is good. Co workers are good. The hardest part is noisy lab atmosphere due to vacuum pumps. Enjoyable moment when I get my desired result in research.
This position requires an open mind and flexibility
Special Programs Assistant Coordinator/ GA (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 18, 2012
I have learned a great deal from my position. It has given me exprience with coordinating and monitoring programs. I have received experience with data collection and management. It can be very fast pace at times but the overal experience is enjoyable.
Assisting in filming
Production Crew, assitant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 2, 2015
Part of the production crew is set up and take down all film equipment as well as film on game days. I assisted a few games to gain experience I had never gained before in the field of Sport and leisure management
Pros
on field experience with filming
Cons
not paid, but good intern
Good learning. helped me in managing my time efficiently as this teaching job was along with my study.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 3, 2015
It was good to teach while studying. I got a chance to teach the course lab of my field of comfort i.e. Microcontroller, FPGA based programming. Had a good support and guidance from my major advisor.
Very Productive work place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  3825 desoto aveFebruary 5, 2014
I work as a part time student researcher.
I have learned the concepts of epidemiology and public health in general.
I also learned statistical packages such as SAS/ SPSS and many other skills
My co workers are my classmates and my Professors who helped me a lot in improving my skills in public health and Epidemiology
Campus Patrol
Security Escorter (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 25, 2014
I provided for the safety and well being of students, faculty, staff and property through enforcement of college policies and procedures. I also reserved peace through conspicuous patrol, responded to calls for assistance including emergency and crisis situations, and provided other safety-related services.
Pros
met new people
Cons
worked in bad weather conditions
Thorough counseling program for professional preparation
Counseling Intern (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 25, 2015
My time as a graduate student and counseling intern at the University of Memphis has provided me with several opportunities within the community to learn about a variety of counseling theories and techniques. In addition, the program's relationships with practicing professionals in the area has greatly added to my professional development.

4.4