University of Memphis

University of Memphis Employer Reviews

Quit place to work, study, and relax between the classes.
Scholarship service volunteer. (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 29, 2014
Some tasks completed include general office assistance and errands, assisting students and other visitors to the office, and serving as a mentor in the Adult Peer Networking program.
Campus Patrol
Security Escorter (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: met new people
Cons: worked in bad weather conditions
I provided for the safety and well being of students, faculty, staff and property through enforcement of college policies and procedures. I also reserved peace through conspicuous patrol, responded to calls for assistance including emergency and crisis situations, and provided other safety-related services.
Worked with students
Conference Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: free room and board
Cons: sometimes difficult working with students
I was a student assisting students, so things were a little stressful. But I appreciated the opportunity
Productive, educational, and enjoyable workplace.
Research Technician (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 6, 2014
In the specific lab that i worked in, the co-workers were a joy to be around with diligent workers that worked as a successful unit. The only difficult part of the job was that we were on our feet most of the time because there were so much up keep involved apart from testing the rodents. Weighing, feeding, double checking that the appropriate test – more... was typed in for the specific rodent before, after and during the testing, filling syringes, cleaning the supplies etc. I learned to do my work with precision at a consistent pace. Our supervisor was excellent. They were there when needed but also trusted us to do the work on our own accord. – less
Great for students
Building Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 2, 2014
If you live on campus and need a job then this will work great for you especially if you dont have a car
Real-time projects
Software Developer (Research Assistant) (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 1, 2014
Developed real-time projects using Unix Network Programming.
It could not get any better than working with musicians, those who want to be musicians and listening to music while working.
Suzuki Piano, Coordinator (Current Employee), Rudi E. Scheidt School of MusicNovember 17, 2013
Pros: working with wonderful musicians each day.
Cons: my office has no windows.
My current job is fulfilling. My colleagues are great musicians.My students are adorable and listening to them is a joy.
But, at 60 years old, I want a little more adventure in my life. What could be more adventurous than working on a Cruise Ship?
My dream job is to be a librarian aboard a ship. The next best job would be playing classical music at – more... a piano bar or collaborating with a classical singer while cruising the seas.
What a dream come true if either of the above were to happen! – less
Laid back environment, nice place to work
Football Program Service Specialist (Current Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 12, 2013
Pros: free lunches, free tickets
Cons: little opportunity for advancement
I open the office and begin checking emails, inventory, and work that needs to be done. The management isn't really clear on who is in charge but my co-workers are calm and efficient for the most part. There really isn't a hard part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job are the football games and meeting new people in powerful positions.
Challenging, very demanding
Office Associate (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 20, 2013
Pros: having the chance to be around so many accomplished women in addition to attending school.
Cons: one person isn't sufficient to take care of the many demands of so many people.
As the faculty secretary, a typical day at work would comprise of accepting work assignments from any one of approximately 50 faculty members. What Iearned is that there is more than meets the eye in almost every situation. I've also learned to take advantage of any and all opportunities that presented themselves to me. Management seemed to be far removed – more... from the needs of staff and students, and appeared to be more concerned with the bottom line as well as appeasing the faculty and older staff members who were used to performing their job duties a certain way. I throughly enjoyed my co-workers and had a really good working relationship with each of them. The hardest part of the job was knowing that being responsible for such a large amount of people was that I knew that I was never going to be able to respond to each person as quickly as they wanted me to. – less
Nice people to work with
Cheer Coach Intern (Former Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 26, 2013
Great people to work for and with. It was a good opportunity for growth in the career.
Good university for acadamic studies, to be improved for research.
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 23, 2013
Over all good University. typical day at work is 9-6. I have learned many skills and techniques. The management is good. Co workers are good. The hardest part is noisy lab atmosphere due to vacuum pumps. Enjoyable moment when I get my desired result in research.
Great learning environment with great support from the Professors
RESEARCH AND TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 19, 2013
Great learning environment with great support from the Professors
Fast Paced
Office Associate - Admissions (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 14, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: low pay
The UofM is a vey diverse place to work. Depending on the department you work in your work can range from slow paced to fast paced. The pros of working here are friendly coworkers and benefits. The greatest downfall for the UofM is low pay.
Lab experience in the Psychology Department
Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 9, 2013
Pros: scientific studies that are pretty interesting
Great learning experience for psychology undergrads: learn how to run participants in experiments, learn how to operate data systems, etc.

Hardest part: giving presentations
Laid back
Office Worker (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 9, 2013
Very good job for a student. Not too much pressure and very flexible hours.
Fun wokeplace
Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 5, 2013
Being a student trainer was hard especially during football camp but overall I loved that job with a passion
Very Friendly Work Environment with Excellent Benefits
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 1, 2013
The University of Memphis offers stable employment with excellent benefits. In addition, the University of Memphis offers a very friendly and supportive work environment.
Great encouragement for career building
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJuly 25, 2013
As a Graduate Assistant, I would work with students in order to advise them on their next classes to take the following semester. The student was the top concern whereas everything revolved around them: from being prepare for the appointment to smoothing out the communication gap between the University and the Student. Likewise, the director understood – more... the human/student element in her Graduate Students. She encourage school and personal success with our best interest in mind. – less
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJuly 23, 2013
I work part time in the Fogelman College of Business and Econmics Dean's office as a Graduate Assistant.
University of Memphis is Home
Web Specialist (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJuly 15, 2013
As a graduate of the University of Memphis, working there feels like home. The environment is very interactive. The different groups work together to get tasks accomplished. With it being an education institution, management is very open about the development of new skills through training and conferences.