University of Memphis Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 11, 2017
The University of Memphis has made commitments to improving diversity and openness to diversity. There is still much work to be done in those areas, but I am confident that progress will be made.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
A lack of racial diversity in administrative positions
great place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 6, 2017
A typical day at work was relaxed and slow paced most of the time. I would sit at my desk and answer phone calls, process transcripts, send emails, run errands and assist students with the transcript process.
Able to do homework while at work. No long hours.
DESK ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 3, 2017
You are able to do school work while you work. This job put your schooling first. Fun work environment. The boss actually cares about her workers. Not much goes on such as fights, arguments and things with the residents.
Review
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 22, 2017
The recreational center will always be an amazing place to work at. It's amazingly very diverse, and well known for it's amazing staff. I would l recommend it to anyone!
Work in any condition weather
Landscaper (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 15, 2017
Overall it is not a hard job and offers benefits and advancement. We work rain, sleet, or snow. You are required to do yard work and some equipment used.
Can be a good company to work for...
Human Resources Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 13, 2017
The University of Memphis can be a very good company to work for...especially, if you are politically driven. If you cannot handle the office/organization's politics and the possibility of working hard and MAY not be supported because of your actions of integrity, etc., this might not be the best company for you.
Productive n fun work place
Housekeeping/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 13, 2017
Keeping ur surroundings beautiful and functioning properly is mandatory at the U of M.Sports facilities. Class rooms etc must be kept at a high level.A fun work Environment with. Opportunity to Succeed
Great job opportunity for students.
Lab Attendant / Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 10, 2017
Working as a Lab Attendant on campus is probably one of the best student employment opportunities to pursue if you're looking for part-time work on campus. A typical day at work includes assisting students in the use of Windows-based PCs or Apple iMac computers or both depending on the lab. You are there basically to supervise and to answer questions about how to use programs on the computers, report technical malfunctions, and restock paper, ink cartridges, staples, etc. Depending on what shift you work, you could also be responsible for opening or closing the lab.

The work environment is very relaxed and the best part of the job is that you often have the free time to get some of your own homework done if no one is in need of assistance!

Management is fairly lax at most labs and student employees are generally given a good amount of independence. The hardest part of the job really depends on your personality and which lab you work in. Obviously, if you're someone who doesn't like talking to people, you may be uncomfortable in this position. Likewise, if you're easily overwhelmed by being around or needing to assist large amounts of people back to back, then you may want to work at a smaller computer lab in one of the humanities' halls. Buildings housing sciences generally have larger labs.

The Tech Hub in the University Center is a great lab to work in because you can take your breaks downstairs at any of the various restaurants if you're hungry. The lab is equipt with several printers, scanners and both Dell PC and Apple iMac workstations and can serve well over
  more... 50 students at once. Should you choose to work there, be prepared to be very active and knowledgeable about the lab's policies and services because people, especially the crowds of freshman, will ask you tons of questions!  less
Pros
Easy and fun job, relaxed environment, great customer service experience opportunity, decent pay
Cons
None, unless you're not a people person.
Informative and Productive
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 17, 2017
More relaxed atmosphere, but always busy. Being detail-oriented is a must. Observation skills are critical. Management and staff are helpful and knowledgeable.
Pros
You follow a set schedule
Cons
Its the same thing everyday
Great work environment
Assistant Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 9, 2017
No two days are the same and that is the best part.
I learn new things about the NCAA everyday.
The work culture is very diverse.
I have learned a lot about women's basketball. My main sport is women's volleyball.
Useful to learn new things
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 6, 2017
I am very happy for working in the University of Memphis because I am learning the new things and I am using my knowledge to my best which is useful for the college growth.
Great Experience
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 23, 2017
This job helped in providing experience I needed while wanting us to focus on school. The typical tasks were communicating with students, staff, and the public. I answered phones, worked to help protect the university, and work with my bosses in bettering the experience of the campus. I will enjoyed that it worked around my class schedule and allowed us to work on school work if we did not need to help any one.
Pros
scheduling, allowed me to work on classwork
Cons
We could not work any more than 20 hours a week or get raises
school
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 18, 2017
they actually dont care about the employee that work for them when they actually are down and out . they dont care if you have death in the family at all they need to do better with management
Pros
college
Cons
students crazy
excellent for advanced education needs
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 9, 2017
Enjoyed the school and professors. After four years and graduation, still no job. Look forward to using the skills gained here to advance my career.
Graduate assistantships are pursued for the rewarding experience not the money or benefits.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 22, 2016
Any pursuit of a degree higher than a bachelors should be expected to come with minimum pay and no benefits. The research tends to be its own reward, however, the pay was not even nearly living wages as is normal for a GA, I would assume. This specific assistantship was particularly abysmal, due to management focusing much more on side pursuits and money than the research and the science.
Supportive environment
Clinical Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 30, 2016
The University of Memphis is supportive of faculty initiatives and research agendas. Internal grants and support for writing external grants is excellent.
Grounds Worker.
Grounds worker (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 29, 2016
Best job that I have came across. Laid back, constant work. And can work at your own pace. Very calm and understanding supervision. Makes Working something you look forward to. And overtime is available.
Pros
Doing your own work with no interruptions. Plenty of overtime work.
Cons
Short breaks.
Good environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 14, 2016
experienced professor and wide range of course offer.Good opportunity for self development.Nice environment and very good library.Safe place to walk alone.
Good people
Student (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 17, 2016
Fun work environment. Hard working managers who were there for not only the customers but also the employees. I loved it
Hard working Graduate Assistants but professors and internal structure of management needs retooling.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 6, 2016
I enjoyed my time at the University of Memphis and left with a Master's Degree in Chemistry with an PhD level education I believe. It is possible that it was my particular research group but I feel that the Chemistry Department needs to figure out how to graduate Chemistry PhD's more efficiently and in a more timely manner.
Pros
Positive work environment, critical feedback, and sophisticated instrumentation.
Cons
Ambiguous time required for graduation.