University of Memphis Employee Reviews in United States

A very relaxing type of environment
researcher assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis TNAugust 5, 2014
While doing research at University of Memphis it was very calm and relaxed which made me feel very comfortable but there were moments where I felt it to be a bit to lax to some degree making it hard to always know exactly what to do or what task needed to be preformed. If I am told what to do and shown how to do it, only if I do not know, I will try my best to complete the task but while doing research at the university of memphis's chemistry department, there were a lot of moments where I did not know exactly what to do making it somewhat very poorly managed, but all in all I really enjoyed learning about new things and studying in the field of science.
I will add that the reason for this may be due to my mentor being a bit busier than usual due to her own schedule which is totally understandable
Pros
calm and flexible
Cons
not well managed
great place to work.
Campus Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 14, 2014
I was able to balance my studies as well as working full time.
A great place to touch lives
LSAMP Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 8, 2014
I was a student worker who helped other students develop skills to help enrich the underrepresented middle and high school students we tutored/mentored.
like to work there in certain departments
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 23, 2014
good place to work and fairly family oriented. It is hard to get tenure unless you are published in several places.
Great and fun workplace.
Athletic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 17, 2014
Day is full of excitement and fun.
Learned about laying aside individual, social, economic, and cultural differences to work for the benefit of all.
Taught accounting courses
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJune 7, 2014
Taught two classes a week. Developed a lecture plan and test for two different courses in the field of accounting.
Pros
teaching young people.
Cons
only a one semster position
Positive community outreach.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 5, 2014
Working at the YMCA allowed me to learn many skills associated with community outreach and volunteering. We set many goals for the community around us to promote healthy living principles.
Adjuncting
Adjunct Professor, Department of Anthropology (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 28, 2014
I loved teaching and designing my own class, often implementing non-traditional methods for evaluation and instruction. A few times it took students by surprise, but was more amiable to getting lessons across.

The university was mediocre to work for, but I was in an adjunct position, therefore the most likely to suffer from budget cuts. I did have free reign in my work, with little supervision. This was a blessing and a curse, and I sought out guidance from other sources when needed. Overall, I would do it again, as the experience has not only deepened my knowledge of societal systems, but professional systems and instruction.
Productive and a fun place to work
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 21, 2014
Maintained the front desk in the dorms.
Assisted the guest when they need help.
Check out male guest in the female dorm.

The challenging part of the job was experiencing the many different attitudes everyday while still following the rules. But I learn to find the most enjoyable moment everyday.

My co-worker were very trustworthy and dependable and also came to work most days with a very cheerful attitude.

The most enjoyable of working the desk were meeting the new people and have many conversations about their day and their struggles through out the day.
Great experience for graduate student
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 14, 2014
It has been a great first year at the University of Memphis. I have gained invaluable experience in research, and also personal training/strength and conditioning by working here. The professors are all extremely knowledgeable and treat graduate students as fellow faculty members. This next semester I will have experience teaching students and look forward to it.
Pros
tuition paid, stipend, hours
Cons
stipend isn't much, may need part time job to supplement
Insightful, fast pace
Help Desk Agent, U of M Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 13, 2014
I answered phones and operated from double screens during calls, I was professional and patient. I learned how to use a lot of different software on this job. Management was professional and my co-workers were welcoming and fun to be around.
Cons
temporary
Ok place to work
Parking Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 12, 2014
They dont really give raises and the pay is very low. But its a great place to work, network, and meet new people.
Productive and efficient workplace with a lot of fun
Mandarin Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 12, 2014
A typical day started with a 10-minute drive to school in the sunshine. Then class preparations, classroom lectures and discussions, language games and laughs. Both co-workers and students were from multicultural background, so there was a lot of fun comparing foods, clothes, traditions and languages in each culture. The hardest part for me in the beginning was the culture shock and language barrier. And the most enjoyable part of the job is that we organized various activities for students to take part in.
a hard working expereince
Ground Worker (Former Employee) –  memphis,tnMarch 25, 2014
working at the university of Memphis was a great experience. It taught me hard labor and showed me what I really wanted to do with my life.
An amazing staff of professors who are approachable and encourage excellence.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 18, 2014
My typical day at work consists of consulting with professors on lecture material, student information and grades, and upcoming plans. This takes place in a relaxed, professional environment- usually in the professor's office. I work with a brilliant group of aspiring intellectuals, some of whom are PhD candidates. I learn from observation primarily, taking notes on the way advanced instructors convey complicated material to undergraduates. I then have multiple opportunities to develop a lecture of my own that fits within the syllabus and have stepped in for professors that have needed to take absentee days in order to attend conferences. The hardest part of my job is explaining grades to the undergraduates that I assist. However, I am understandable yet firm and will always stick with the judgment of a co-worker or professor in front of an undergraduate. If I do question the judgment of another TA or the professor, I will approach them professionally and as a partner. This is also the most enjoyable part of my job- the feeling of being a part of a team and the satisfaction that is achieved when a problem is resolved through amicable cooperation.
Pros
professional networking
Cons
no health-care provided
Very structured
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 7, 2014
We were given the necessary training to schedule students for advising and career planning. Students were also advised by current students on which courses they should take and which career path was best for them.
Pros
excellent staff and great communication
Adjunct Professor...
Adjunct Professor - Communications Department (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 16, 2014
Very energetic students. Have a great supervisor that is available if needed. I gain great insight from my students as I hope they would from me.

Hardest part of the job is knowing that some will not take the class serious enough and lower grades (even failure) occurs.

Enjoying listening to my students grow as public speakers at the end of the semester. They literally blossom at the end.
Pros
friendly coworkers and students.
Cons
university is cost cutting and not enough classes for adjuncts as this time.
This wasn't a typical job
Undergraduate Physics Researcher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 10, 2014
I was asked by a professor to join their research group. I wasn't paid at first; I was only doing for the experience. After 1 year I started to receive pay. The professor I worked with shared every detail of the project with me and would actually listen to what I had to say. They encouraged me constantly and offered me guidance.
Pros
the fostering of creativity and taking trips to present my work
Cons
it was sometimes hard to believe that my work was important
Very Productive work place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  3825 desoto aveFebruary 5, 2014
I work as a part time student researcher.
I have learned the concepts of epidemiology and public health in general.
I also learned statistical packages such as SAS/ SPSS and many other skills
My co workers are my classmates and my Professors who helped me a lot in improving my skills in public health and Epidemiology
Quit place to work, study, and relax between the classes.
Scholarship service volunteer. (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 29, 2014
Some tasks completed include general office assistance and errands, assisting students and other visitors to the office, and serving as a mentor in the Adult Peer Networking program.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Memphis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4