University of Memphis

University of Memphis Employer Reviews

Student Nurse (Current Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 19, 2012
Dedicated to the health and betterment of others. Great training and growth opportunities.
Great interaction with people from all walks of life
Office Associate (Former Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 29, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: favoritism
A typical day at work would consist of: reserving spaces for nursing events for various instructors, and running errands on campus. I've learned that working together is very important in order to get a goal accomplished. I enjoyed my relationship with my co-workers, and I have a tremendous respect for what they do as well. The hardest part of the job – more... was keeping everybody happy. It was like walking a tightrope. What I liked most about the job was the diversity of the faculty, my co-workers as well as the students and potential students. – less
Where I began my collegiate teaching experience
Instructor of Record (Former Employee), Memphis TNSeptember 20, 2012
At the University of Memphis I was given my first opportunity to be in front of the classroom. We worked hard, balancing our teaching requirements, classroom requirements, and other life needs. I learned things here that I have carried into classrooms.
Work study, fun ,positive learning enviornment, good people
Italian Tutor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 29, 2012
Pros: excellent workplace
Being a language tutor and going to school was very fun at the University of Memphis. When assisting the students, you get that one on one experience and really get to tackle whatever trouble they are having. The boss was cool and everyone was easy going.
- I learned to single out problems better and to find the solution for them. I learned to communicate – more... better with students,
- The hardest part was when a student would ask me an advanced question that I barely knew the answer to and I would have to look for help myself on the internet.
- The most enjoyable part was getting to know my students and having an everyday conversation with them in italian. – less
Fun
General Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 23, 2012
Pros: great job while in school
Cons: no cons....
This was a work study position when I was in college. Great job for me. It was laid back and this is where I learned office and clerical duties and I also enjoy dealing with the public.
VERY DIVERSE PLACE FOR LEARNING
FITNESS ASSISTANT/PERSONAL TRAINER/MAINTENANCE (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 21, 2012
Pros: i had the opportunity to work with good people and athletes, i also got to workout anytime i wanted.
Cons: no career advancement opportunities, or raises
I REALLY ENJOYED MY TIME THERE AT U OF M, BUT HOWEVER I HAD TO LEAVE BECAUSE THERE WAS'NT ANY ROOM FOR MY CONTINUED GROWTH.
I worked for The Department of Anthropology/TOADS Project
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 17, 2012
Pros: i learned a lot of information that will take me to the next level.
Tracked and prepared systems reports, weekly and monthly for The State of TN and University of Memphis, and was involved in year end closing. At the end of the year the reports were analyzed and approved then complied in book form and sent to The State of TN, University, facilities and any other persons involved in the program.
Enjoyable
FINANCIAL SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 16, 2012
Pros: flexibility
Cons: impatient customers and/or vendors
My typical day consisted of the daily routine of accounts payable for University of Memphis Foundation accounts. My daily goal was to complete every task given to me by the end of each day.
Best job you could ask for.
Gear-Up Coach/Admin (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 9, 2012
Pros: very fulfilling
Cons: hours are limited.
Got to impact the lives of kids everyone else would give up on. Good pay. You are looked up to as a role model by hundreds of kids.
Excessive work, little pay
Supervisor-Tony Johnson (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJuly 8, 2012
Everyday ended up carrying buckets from building to building even when a heat advisory was in effect. I actually didnt learn anything. It is the basics to cleaning a room/dorm. Management was hardly ever there. Co-workers were young and childish. Hardest part was carrying the buckets out in the heat. Most enjoyable part was getting off.
Recruiting Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 28, 2012
Good Benefits. Fair treatment by supervisors. I am temporary employee.
Strong department with great faculty and staff
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 27, 2012
Pros: explicit willingness to work with school schedule, excellent training, wide range of assignment types.
Cons: lack of advancement opportunities.
Daily duties varied widely based on time of year and on which supervisor had priority at any given time. Basic duties included answering and directing calls, filing paperwork, assisting visitors, sorting and delivering mail, stocking office supplies, and making copies. Other duties varied depending by supervisor but included editing and sending emails, – more... organizing faculty searches, filing invoices, and other general clerical tasks. The best part of the job was the friendly and supportive atmosphere, the hardest part was assisting upset students when classes were abruptly cancelled. – less
This position requires an open mind and flexibility
Special Programs Assistant Coordinator/ GA (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 18, 2012
I have learned a great deal from my position. It has given me exprience with coordinating and monitoring programs. I have received experience with data collection and management. It can be very fast pace at times but the overal experience is enjoyable.
Great Work Culture
Computer Operator (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 11, 2012
Pros: friendly work staff
Cons: short breaks
Functioned as a member of a team; responsible for developing a new customer service manual that was later adopted and used by the University.

Essential Responsibilities:
• Coordinate all daily changes and ensure they are implemented successfully and documented as such in shift turnovers.
• Support Network Operations level 1 infrastructure via Enterprise – more... Managing applications.
• Execute and/or support system testing off hours and weekends.
• Supports and assists with the operation and management of the IT infrastructure and systems including LAN, WAN, and phone systems. – less
Fun workplace and great associates.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 8, 2012
Pros: great faculty, great associates and friends
Cons: long hours, little pay
A great place to learn new things and put them into action. I was able to acquire skill that allowed me to understand how difficult it is to create a computer system and take into the real world. I had my funnest years there.
A great place to work as a full time student.
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNApril 22, 2012
A typical day at work would be very laid back, you had time to do your school work while doing your job.
It was fun place to work.Every one was co operative.
UNIX Administrator (Current Employee), Memphis, TNApril 2, 2012
Best part of the job is the team work and support when we had challenging situations.
Working in an Institution is a good collective working environment, I loved it!
Model and Teacher Aid (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 28, 2012
Pros: good people, nice environment
I did nude yoga for figure structure and life drawing classes... I had full respect for the students and teachers and I worked there two years until I was referred to the International Memphis College Of Art and worked there another Nine Years until I moved out of state!
Productive and fun workplace with computers
Sportswriter/ Editor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 16, 2012
Pros: great wokplace, people are great to get along with, you get to work with athletes
Cons: no healthcare; sometimes long hours; no overtime
I got to do what I've always wanted to do in life -- work and talk about sports all day, everyday. I ran the sports section and was able to sit front row with the media at every sporting event.
We were able as a team to meet most of our dead lines
Data entry clerk (Former Employee), Memphis TNNovember 30, 2011
I learned a lot while working for the Department of Anthropology.