University of Memphis

University of Memphis Employer Reviews

Great staff and leadership, coowrokers were a charm, very fun job
Academic Tutor (Former Employee), Mitchell HallJanuary 20, 2013
Pros: learn science while tutoring, meet new people, help others
Cons: have to tutor more than one person at a time, but this actually makes it funner and makes time go by faster
As a tutor, I would meet science students and help them with everything from chemistry to genetics. I learned a lot about different people learn subjects differently, and this helps me learn how to adapt to different groups of people and adapt to different situations. The co-oworkers were a blast to work with; they taught me a lot about tutoring and – more... were funny and warm. The hardest part of the job is managing a big group of people when I am the only one tutoring. Sometimes this proves to be the most rewarding and sometimes big groups turn out to be a lot of fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and haring with them a love for the sciences. – less
assistant
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 17, 2013
I loved this job i was at my own pace cunstructing my own guidlines that were in position with the company to make the company more fumctionable in my own job assignments
Productive, Always working
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: can work on your school work at the desk.
Cons: none.
I Love that job at the University of Memphis! I recommend any student working it!
Good job
Student Film Actor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: very laid back
Cons: strange hours
Student employment work not anything very substantial. Worked as a paid film actor for commercials and short films as well as a customer service representative for the University Call Center.
Very productive and educated work environment.
Work Study Student (Former Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 28, 2012
Pros: interaction with faculty, staff, and students
Cons: pay
A typical day included helping the faculty and staff with tasks that needed to be done, such as typing documents, filing paperwork, or running errands. What I learned from this job experience is a more efficient way of doing receptionist work and how to professionally intereact with various personalities. Management and co-workers were great to work – more... with. The most enjoyable part of this job was the interaction with faculty, staff, and students. The hardest part was having to leave because I graduated. – less
Excellent educational experience
Counselor Intern (Current Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 14, 2012
The MSW program at the University of Memphis has been a wonderful educational experience. The professors are knowledgeable, passionate, and helpful.
Student Nurse (Current Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 19, 2012
Dedicated to the health and betterment of others. Great training and growth opportunities.
Great interaction with people from all walks of life
Office Associate (Former Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 29, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: favoritism
A typical day at work would consist of: reserving spaces for nursing events for various instructors, and running errands on campus. I've learned that working together is very important in order to get a goal accomplished. I enjoyed my relationship with my co-workers, and I have a tremendous respect for what they do as well. The hardest part of the job – more... was keeping everybody happy. It was like walking a tightrope. What I liked most about the job was the diversity of the faculty, my co-workers as well as the students and potential students. – less
Where I began my collegiate teaching experience
Instructor of Record (Former Employee), Memphis TNSeptember 20, 2012
At the University of Memphis I was given my first opportunity to be in front of the classroom. We worked hard, balancing our teaching requirements, classroom requirements, and other life needs. I learned things here that I have carried into classrooms.
Work study, fun ,positive learning enviornment, good people
Italian Tutor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 29, 2012
Pros: excellent workplace
Being a language tutor and going to school was very fun at the University of Memphis. When assisting the students, you get that one on one experience and really get to tackle whatever trouble they are having. The boss was cool and everyone was easy going.
- I learned to single out problems better and to find the solution for them. I learned to communicate – more... better with students,
- The hardest part was when a student would ask me an advanced question that I barely knew the answer to and I would have to look for help myself on the internet.
- The most enjoyable part was getting to know my students and having an everyday conversation with them in italian. – less
Fun
General Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 23, 2012
Pros: great job while in school
Cons: no cons....
This was a work study position when I was in college. Great job for me. It was laid back and this is where I learned office and clerical duties and I also enjoy dealing with the public.
VERY DIVERSE PLACE FOR LEARNING
FITNESS ASSISTANT/PERSONAL TRAINER/MAINTENANCE (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 21, 2012
Pros: i had the opportunity to work with good people and athletes, i also got to workout anytime i wanted.
Cons: no career advancement opportunities, or raises
I REALLY ENJOYED MY TIME THERE AT U OF M, BUT HOWEVER I HAD TO LEAVE BECAUSE THERE WAS'NT ANY ROOM FOR MY CONTINUED GROWTH.
I worked for The Department of Anthropology/TOADS Project
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 17, 2012
Pros: i learned a lot of information that will take me to the next level.
Tracked and prepared systems reports, weekly and monthly for The State of TN and University of Memphis, and was involved in year end closing. At the end of the year the reports were analyzed and approved then complied in book form and sent to The State of TN, University, facilities and any other persons involved in the program.
Enjoyable
FINANCIAL SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 16, 2012
Pros: flexibility
Cons: impatient customers and/or vendors
My typical day consisted of the daily routine of accounts payable for University of Memphis Foundation accounts. My daily goal was to complete every task given to me by the end of each day.
Best job you could ask for.
Gear-Up Coach/Admin (Former Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 9, 2012
Pros: very fulfilling
Cons: hours are limited.
Got to impact the lives of kids everyone else would give up on. Good pay. You are looked up to as a role model by hundreds of kids.
Excessive work, little pay
Supervisor-Tony Johnson (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJuly 8, 2012
Everyday ended up carrying buckets from building to building even when a heat advisory was in effect. I actually didnt learn anything. It is the basics to cleaning a room/dorm. Management was hardly ever there. Co-workers were young and childish. Hardest part was carrying the buckets out in the heat. Most enjoyable part was getting off.
Recruiting Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 28, 2012
Good Benefits. Fair treatment by supervisors. I am temporary employee.
Strong department with great faculty and staff
Student Office Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 27, 2012
Pros: explicit willingness to work with school schedule, excellent training, wide range of assignment types.
Cons: lack of advancement opportunities.
Daily duties varied widely based on time of year and on which supervisor had priority at any given time. Basic duties included answering and directing calls, filing paperwork, assisting visitors, sorting and delivering mail, stocking office supplies, and making copies. Other duties varied depending by supervisor but included editing and sending emails, – more... organizing faculty searches, filing invoices, and other general clerical tasks. The best part of the job was the friendly and supportive atmosphere, the hardest part was assisting upset students when classes were abruptly cancelled. – less
This position requires an open mind and flexibility
Special Programs Assistant Coordinator/ GA (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMay 18, 2012
I have learned a great deal from my position. It has given me exprience with coordinating and monitoring programs. I have received experience with data collection and management. It can be very fast pace at times but the overal experience is enjoyable.
Great Work Culture
Computer Operator (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 11, 2012
Pros: friendly work staff
Cons: short breaks
Functioned as a member of a team; responsible for developing a new customer service manual that was later adopted and used by the University.

Essential Responsibilities:
• Coordinate all daily changes and ensure they are implemented successfully and documented as such in shift turnovers.
• Support Network Operations level 1 infrastructure via Enterprise – more... Managing applications.
• Execute and/or support system testing off hours and weekends.
• Supports and assists with the operation and management of the IT infrastructure and systems including LAN, WAN, and phone systems. – less