University of Miami Miller School of Medicine

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine United States Employee Reviews

Worked at UM for many years
Director (Former Employee), Miami FLNovember 10, 2014
Cons: management
My last job was amazing. However, the University of Miami's management made decisions that affected negatively the fiscal health of the organization, hence, the employees of the School
Heathcare advocacy at its best
Sr Administrative Assistant/Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee), Miami, FLAugust 26, 2014
Pros: patient satisfaction
Cons: benefits too expensive
A healthcare advocate ensuring patients needs are met. The most significant task is to listen to patients and making sure the request are filled in a timely manner. You should always treat people the way you would like to be treated no matter what the circumstance may be. Being a team playing is essential as everyone's job is important one way or another. Being in management and holding everyone accountable is extremely important. The hardest part of the job is feeling you have not helped a patient as much as you would like. Another is being ridiculed for something another department did not accomplish. Above all, the most enjoyable part of the job is having patients appreciate the service you give to them and how thankful they are because of it.
Always learning. . .
Research Associate III (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 18, 2014
Pros: don't have to punch a clock as a salaried staff member
Cons: no overtime pay for working past the "normal" work week as i'm a salaried staff member
While scientific research has the potential to become mundane as the collection of data can be tedious and seem repetitious, discovery is exciting and working with highly intelligent people is quite rewarding. That allows me to expand my mind and further my understanding of the research we are doing. The hardest part of the job would be the training of new staff to get them up to speed with the projects we are working on.
Great office environment and friendly staff
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 9, 2014
A typical work day consisted of ensuring all faculty and staff payroll related inquiries were answered correctly and efficiently.
Zero probability to advance if you don't know "somebody"
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 20, 2014
Pros: diverse working environment
Cons: benefits, and the most important lack of leadership
I have worked for the University of Miami since 2005 for the last 4 years I have been layoff twice, and for the last 4 years the entire system has become a company who's final goal its not to take care of the employes taken away all type of benefits, increasing on the ones that already have as well.
Supervisors are not trained properly, they are assign on a "i like you" basis and not on their leadership nor their abilities to lead by example
the all company (UM) system does not function properly the structure its unbelievable inefficient feel like you are working for a government institution where everything takes forever to resolve.
if you are a student or a interim is probably all right, but as an average employee I will not recommend it specially if you don't know "somebody" .
Awesome place to work
Graduate Program, - Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 2, 2014
A typical day was very busy but rewarding. I was the direct liaison for the graduate students.
Helping others with limited resources
Office Manager/ Senior Medical Collector (Former Employee), Miami, FloridaFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: patients, great attitude, no expectations
Cons: no breaks, gossip, no backing from mamagement
All in all nice place to work, working in mental health care you have to be sympathetic to the needs of the patients and that's being whatever you position is and acting as family member, caregiver, advocate, friend, and wear many other hats when dealing with the psycho-social oncology population. Its just so rewarding in so many expects of the job to help others and relate to them; however, when others in certain roles cannot relate and so many other issues arise it makes it harder for everyone involve especially the patients
average
Assistant Professor (Former Employee), Miami, FLJanuary 12, 2014
Financial difficulties and linguistic problems within the institution
Great academic environment!
PhD student (Current Employee), Miami, FLJanuary 6, 2014
Experienced faculty, nice students, and kind staffs.
Feel comfortable when studying here.
The weather here is also charming!
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee), Miami, FLNovember 13, 2013
Hardest: dealing with multiple trials, meaning multiple PI's, meaning multiple egos...
Amazing atmosphere
Senior Research Associate (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 25, 2013
Experienced and educated individuals that are great to work with!
Great Organization
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 19, 2013
Very interesting job, learned to organize the files and attend to the phones for appointments.
Medical School Running on Bare-Bones Staff and Overworking Employees
Research Associate (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 20, 2013
Pros: health insurance
Cons: mold filled buildings, very political
The Miller School of Medicine laid off hundreds of employees and has forced the rest of the staff/faculty to pick up the slack without additional compensation or benefits. In general, employees seem disgruntled and unhappy with their positions.
Laboratory manager needs improvement
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Miami, FLMarch 26, 2013
Management in my department needs improvement. Excellent scholarly experience. Very team oriented work.
Great place to work and the benefits were optimal.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 31, 2012
Pros: benefits like tuition remission.
The team I was fortunate to work with were more of an extended family. We looked out for each other and put the progress of our team first and foremost. Education was a top priority, so schedules were flexible as long as the project was always met on time.
Overall a good place to work.
Donor Management Process Improvement Facilitator (Former Employee), Miami, FlaJuly 24, 2012
Pros: great benefits.
Cons: often requires some extra hours
A good place to work. Always moving ahead. Always looking for new ways to get things done. The medical side of the UM is outstanding.
The University of Miami has been very good to me. I have worked there for 23 years
Human Resource Manager (Current Employee), Miami, FLMay 4, 2012
Successful, fun, productive workplace
Child intervention specialist/research assistant (Current Employee), Miami, FLApril 4, 2012
Working as a research assistant at this clinic has been a rewarding and eye-opening experience. I love working with children and solving any type of challenge this job poses. Despite having been faced certain challenges that could be hard, I have overcome them and learned a lot.