University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Research Associate SOM2 (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 9, 2015
I Loved my time here at The University of Miami. It was a blessing to say that I was happy to wake up and go to work each day. The room for advancement was amazing and the people were even better. This is the place to be. I hope after I complete grad school i am able to return to such a wonderful environment.
Pros
People and benefits
Cons
the parking
UM Research
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 23, 2015
Great place to work. Anyone with a medical/clinical background interested in research should start here. I think it is the only academic institution in Miami with a research infrastructure
Satisfied
Clinical Observer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 3, 2015
Good clinical work environment friendly staff people from different parts of the country so friendly environment good payscale overall good work culture
Leadership is stuck in the past as far as innovation and change
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 5, 2015
I wouldn't recommend working there. Leadership preaches change campus wide however there is no change. HR is horrible to deal with.
A day in Management
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 10, 2015
My day is never the same in my current role. Everyday brings new challenges that keep my team and i always on our toes. I manage a team of 2 and we work on all facets of the recruitment for Sylvester Cancer Center.
Productive and friendly workplace
Graduate Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 6, 2015
A positive environment that allows everyone to grow and learn together. A lot of team meetings, group projects, and constant communication between employees.
Could be better
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 16, 2015
If it wasn't for bad management, this would be a good place to work. Co workers are not bad and overall location is not the greatest.
Pros
Salary
Always learning. . .
Research Associate III (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 18, 2014
While scientific research has the potential to become mundane as the collection of data can be tedious and seem repetitious, discovery is exciting and working with highly intelligent people is quite rewarding. That allows me to expand my mind and further my understanding of the research we are doing. The hardest part of the job would be the training of new staff to get them up to speed with the projects we are working on.
Pros
don't have to punch a clock as a salaried staff member
Cons
no overtime pay for working past the "normal" work week as i'm a salaried staff member
Helping others with limited resources
Office Manager/ Senior Medical Collector (Former Employee) –  Miami, FloridaFebruary 25, 2014
All in all nice place to work, working in mental health care you have to be sympathetic to the needs of the patients and that's being whatever you position is and acting as family member, caregiver, advocate, friend, and wear many other hats when dealing with the psycho-social oncology population. Its just so rewarding in so many expects of the job to help others and relate to them; however, when others in certain roles cannot relate and so many other issues arise it makes it harder for everyone involve especially the patients
Pros
patients, great attitude, no expectations
Cons
no breaks, gossip, no backing from mamagement
I love working in University of Miami for the past 20 years
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 27, 2016
The job is very rewarding , my peers are great tEnsures that randomization and registration of patients are performed in compliance with CRS and UM policies, the protocol, ICH-GCP, and federal regulations.
Establishes and maintains contact with patients/participants, health care providers, community agencies, study sponsors. Updates appropriate agencies such as sponsors, IRB, etc. regarding current status of research projects as required and under the supervision of the PI.

Updates SCCC Business Office staff as requested about patient accruals/completed cycles for billing of Industry Studies and for calculation of RVUs for in-house studies and provides support with study related procedures as required, i.e., EKG, laboratory and tumor assessment studies.

Ensures timely IRB submissions of initial protocol, continuing reports, amendments, IND safety reports, AEs, SAEs, UP, deviations, etc. with support from the Sr. Regulatory Specialist.

Communicates all IRB and Sponsor related approvals, changes, information, etc. to the PI and study team and adapts to physician schedules to perform protocol specific patient visits and/or procedures including, but not limited to early AM and /or early evening hours as required.

Participates in a collaborative, empowered work environment as demonstrated through teamwork and ensures work environment is organized and functions efficiently.
Demonstrates a level of professional practice that supports the delivery of appropriate care and positive working relationships throughout the medical center and provides coverage for other
  more... CRS SDGs as needed.

Other duties as assigned.
Pros
I love THe U
Cons
The distance from home to here
Heathcare advocacy at its best
Sr Administrative Assistant/Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 26, 2014
A healthcare advocate ensuring patients needs are met. The most significant task is to listen to patients and making sure the request are filled in a timely manner. You should always treat people the way you would like to be treated no matter what the circumstance may be. Being a team playing is essential as everyone's job is important one way or another. Being in management and holding everyone accountable is extremely important. The hardest part of the job is feeling you have not helped a patient as much as you would like. Another is being ridiculed for something another department did not accomplish. Above all, the most enjoyable part of the job is having patients appreciate the service you give to them and how thankful they are because of it.
Pros
patient satisfaction
Cons
benefits too expensive
Medical School Running on Bare-Bones Staff and Overworking Employees
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 20, 2013
The Miller School of Medicine laid off hundreds of employees and has forced the rest of the staff/faculty to pick up the slack without additional compensation or benefits. In general, employees seem disgruntled and unhappy with their positions.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
mold filled buildings, very political
Successful, fun, productive workplace
Child intervention specialist/research assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 4, 2012
Working as a research assistant at this clinic has been a rewarding and eye-opening experience. I love working with children and solving any type of challenge this job poses. Despite having been faced certain challenges that could be hard, I have overcome them and learned a lot.
Great place to work and the benefits were optimal.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 31, 2012
The team I was fortunate to work with were more of an extended family. We looked out for each other and put the progress of our team first and foremost. Education was a top priority, so schedules were flexible as long as the project was always met on time.
Pros
benefits like tuition remission.
Zero probability to advance if you don't know "somebody"
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 20, 2014
I have worked for the University of Miami since 2005 for the last 4 years I have been layoff twice, and for the last 4 years the entire system has become a company who's final goal its not to take care of the employes taken away all type of benefits, increasing on the ones that already have as well.
Supervisors are not trained properly, they are assign on a "i like you" basis and not on their leadership nor their abilities to lead by example
the all company (UM) system does not function properly the structure its unbelievable inefficient feel like you are working for a government institution where everything takes forever to resolve.
if you are a student or a interim is probably all right, but as an average employee I will not recommend it specially if you don't know "somebody" .
Pros
diverse working environment
Cons
benefits, and the most important lack of leadership
Recreational Center
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 2, 2015
helping people through out the day and
answering the phone calls. helping the supervisor
and the hardest part was when some one is out and the phone is ringing alot
Worked at UM for many years
Director (Former Employee) –  Miami FLNovember 10, 2014
My last job was amazing. However, the University of Miami's management made decisions that affected negatively the fiscal health of the organization, hence, the employees of the School
Cons
management
Overall a good place to work.
Donor Management Process Improvement Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FlaJuly 24, 2012
A good place to work. Always moving ahead. Always looking for new ways to get things done. The medical side of the UM is outstanding.
Pros
great benefits.
Cons
often requires some extra hours
Great office environment and friendly staff
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 9, 2014
A typical work day consisted of ensuring all faculty and staff payroll related inquiries were answered correctly and efficiently.
The University of Miami has been very good to me. I have worked there for 23 years
Human Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 4, 2012