University of Miami Employee Reviews

Surprising for Florida's top University
Instructor of English (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 14, 2016
I love the University of Miami. The campus is beautiful, the students are polite and intelligent, and of course the campus events and sports are amazing. However, the teaching environment for any nontenure or nonresearch faculty is boardline hostile. Last year, nontenure faculty requested a long overdue cost of living raise, and the dean's response was: if the nontenure faculty dislikes the salary structure, then why have so many of them remained for over ten years? It is extremely extremely difficult to teach at a university where you comment to the students is seen as a sign of weakness, not a virtue. However, if you have a deep commitment to education but no need for a competitive salary (if your spouse is the bread winner, for example, or you are semi-retired), then the actual teaching at UM is second to none. It has rightfully earned the title of Florida's most prestigious university. Unfortunately, this was earned on the backs of underpaid nontenure faculty and staff.
Pros
flexible scheduling, time off, access to research tools, complimentary sports tickets
Cons
salary, lack of opportunity for career growth, ineffective supervisors
The worst of its kind
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJanuary 6, 2017
UMPD does not support their police officers.They took away comp time,step raises.The chief is a joke who is there self-benefiting neglecting officers.
Pros
At least I have a job- per the chief's words.
Cons
Really, no police benefits and it's impossible to move up the chain let alone be a detective.
A private academic institution i with a strong presence in South Florida
Administration staff member (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 7, 2016
Enjoy an outstanding relationship with the local and international student community providing bilingual technical and academic advice and support.

Promoted specific operational proposals, and developed initiatives to promote the university locally and abroad.
Pros
Educational opportunities
Cons
Poor management leading to no career advancement despite professional credentials and experience.
Great place to work in, salaries on the lower side but good benefits
Post-doctoral associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 17, 2016
It is a great place to work in, although departments are very different. not very fast paced. Great benefits and good work/life balance.
Underpaid and too many demands
Director (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 9, 2016
The University systematically underpays its employees. They charge more than 550.00 per year just to park your car on campus and that does not guarantee a spot. They expect everyone to be on call 24 hours a day. Their yearly raises do not even keep up with the amount they charge for parking.
Pros
nice campus
Cons
low pay, restrictions on benefits charge for parking outrageous
Um
Director of Communications (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 10, 2016
Work-life balance is great, however compensation is not competitive.
Experience of culture depends largely on what department you work with since it is a very de-centralized organizational structure.
Hopefully UM has improved its culture and work environment
Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 28, 2016
Unfortunately, management led through fear and intimidation. There was a "cover your back" mentality and lack of teamwork. Managers (at every level) seemed fearful and actively sabotaged each other at every turn. There was also a sad habit to make the SVP of HR the scapegoat or "bad guy" for every tough decision. There was a lack of courage and innovation at every level of the organization. It was a very toxic place to work
Current Employment
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work can be normal if you are accustomed to doing differentroutine with last minute notification. Also, the environment was welcoming and very friendly. There are a lot of learning and growth opportunities, and a very diverse culture
The place is in continual transtion
Network Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 9, 2016
the whole process is in when i was there causing it to b e a very difficult place to work for an extended length of time. I personally tried to ride it over for 3 years but nothing changed and it have become a culture on micromanagement and distrust
Pros
expopsure to lots of differant technology
Cons
conctant restrecture and insecurity do to frequest leadership changes
A Great Place to Work For
Lead Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJune 30, 2016
Being part of the University Of Miami was the greatest privilege. UM was not only an entity that encompassed compassion for patients but also for employees. As a typical day at UM may have been challenging every day, it taught me that to be part of something big you have to desire it and be committed. My first experience as a Team Leader taught me how to be more empathetic, compassionate and patient not only with my team and patients but in life. Management at UM are about working together as a team ,not bias. Their mission shows that there is no I in team. That success is a Team effort. My co-workers were like my brothers and sisters. We had moments where we would not agree, but no matter what, the level of respect did not interrupt our mission. The hardest part of my job was having to make the hardest decision to leave for family reasons. And the most enjoyable part of my job was being part of an entity that was selfless.
Pros
Birthday Celebrations and Award Recognitions
Cons
Thirty Minute Lunch hours
Great opportunities to learn and grow
Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 14, 2016
I love working for the University. I work in a team setting and all of my co-workers have become family. Everyone goes above and beyond to help the other. The hardest part is work/life balance. I work many early mornings, evenings and weekends in the marketing and events department.
Great way to get a college experience
Directors/Associate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 31, 2016
assisting two Directors, and one Assistant Director. Greeting incoming Students and Parents to the University, answering phones, inputting data for registration, and any Alternative Spring Break Programs. Other duties as assigned by management.
Lacking employees with accountability and respect
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 31, 2016
The employee moral is combative and the management and HR dept are very disconnected. The equipment is far below par. Too much turnover in the department, related to how new people are treated like outsiders.
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 22, 2016
Working with the University of Miami has been an employment like no other. They really take care of there employees. I really enjoy and appreciate the opportunity to work here.
Benefits
Cons
Scheduling
this is a very fast paced workenviroment
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 9, 2016
I find i learn something every day despite my years of experience here, it is a very dynamic and fast moving environment and I enjoy the madness at time.... in HR we are a family and support each other. I am currently mentoring two HR generalist in all facets of my job, I feel truly inspired when I see their progress and encouraged to see their growth on a daily basis.

The worst aspect of my position is when I have to terminate an employee, which is not done lightly and great effort is exercised to try and help them remedy their deficiencies in order to keep them. that I am making a difference in people’s lives.

And the most enjoyable is one I can offer a position/promotion or a reward for a job well done
Reimbursement Variance Representative (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 26, 2016
University of Miami is great place to work, the management and the staff is very friendly. This company we get tuition remission to be able to get your Bachelor's Degree.
Pros
Tuition Remission
Cons
Short break
A good school and enjoyable workplace
Sr. Help Desk Technician, Richter Library (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLDecember 29, 2016
While "The U" may suffer from the same maladies afflicting colleges and universities around the country at this time and is therefore top heavy with administration and obsessed with turning campus into country club, it's still a very pleasant place to work. The main campus is gorgeous, the students are bright and polite and general well behaved. Sure, there are some overprivileged snots to tend to but overall a very nice crop of kids.
Productive and enjoyable work place
Athletic Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 13, 2016
Working for the marketing department within University of Miami Athletics was a great internship for me to do, and if I could go back in time I would do it all over again. When I first got to the University of Miami I wanted to be a sports broadcaster and I honestly still wouldn’t mind doing it, but this internship for marketing opened my eyes to a whole new field of work. I’ve learned so many things while working with my supervisors and other interns as well as working with other departments with athletics.
Marina Assistance / Cahiers
Assistant Secretary (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 30, 2016
Had to have a great customer services to greet and assisted customers.

Making sure all there information was up to date, data entry on Abacus and RDP programs.

Every month had to make sure all information was update. Adjusted credit card payments on a monthly basis.

Every Summer had to update all customers files, regarding there properties and safety issues. Bookkeeping, filing and updating hurricane preparations.

Assisted in docking vessels.
Pros
Met a lot of famous people
Cons
Had to learn to deal with the stress.
Casual undergrad TA position
Undergraduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLNovember 25, 2016
Collect and grade materials
help create assignments
enter grades
interact with students and faculty
researched orbital mechanics
Augmented assignments to incorporate my undergraduate research
helped student with senior design projects
Pros
Casual job, great faculty (the ones i worked with), research is a plus
Cons
not any significant ones!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Miami. Our community is ready to answer.