University of Miami Employee Reviews

great benefits bad mangment
Supervisor Patient Access (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 15, 2017
i love the U but the management/leadership is more than lacking. the benefits offered are great but the workload, the lack of work life balance the unrealistic expectations the "clicks" is like working in a middle school or high school environment.

this place could be so great if they just put the right people in the right places. but you move up because you are friends with someone or have an inappropriate relationship with your superior.

sad but true
Pros
great benefits
Cons
everything else
Great learning
Senior Surgical Technician II (Former Employee) –  University of MiamiNovember 11, 2017
On a typical day there are a variety of cases, which I can scrub-in and setup sterile field, relieve lunches, expedite the next case to make turnover more efficient. The doctors are pleasant and very informative. Since working at this facility, I have learned how to appreciate life due to assisting patients. The workplace culture is diverse and the staff is friendly. The hardest part of the job schedule conflict since I am a single mother and live far away. The most enjoyable part of the job is saving lives and learning more than I presently comprehend due to the different cases everyday.
Know your employee handbook
SR. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 8, 2017
Certain departments have favorites, and if you are not a favorite forget it! Worked there 8 years in 2 different departments, in the beginning it seems like one big happy family until they have to cya!
Productive and professional
Clinical Business Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 5, 2017
A place where there is a friendly culture within employees. Balanced work life experience. Stressful at times but coworkers always willing to help. Great benefits!
Rsmas campus its the most peaceful place to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rsmas key biscaineNovember 3, 2017
Working in the ocean is the best blessing of a human being in life. All jobs are completed by work orders. The hardest jobs in the campus was when we would have to prepare for the hurricanes. In general, it was 9 1/2 years of experiences I will remember all my life.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Friendly great people
Coding Specialist Support (Current Employee) –  University of Miami, FLNovember 1, 2017
Work at UM is laid back and fun at times, working with patients is exciting and new daily and helping patients is so rewarding. There is such a rewarding atmosphere and family oriented.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Limited growth
Marketing Department
Social Media and Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 30, 2017
I worked part-time in Gables one. It was interesting to see the technicalities behind the university, and how much work goes into keeping the University into what it is.
The workspace is flexible and a comfortable environment. Not too intimidating, everyone is just there to do their jobs.
Great atmosphere, poor leadership
Donor Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 30, 2017
UM is a great place to work but new leadership has taken a more corporate approach. Many layoffs and uneasy atmosphere has employees constantly looking over their shoulders.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Tuition Remission, Flexible Schedules
Cons
Leadership, Salary
Content heavy stimulating pastoral workplace in the heart of Coral Gables
Assoc Director Communications and PR (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 27, 2017
For my brain which wants to be stimulated and learn new things every day higher education is the only place to work. On a daily basis I would go in not expecting any day to be typical in the UM Communications office. The number of possible media contacts that I would connect with daily could range from 5 to 25 and the subject matter experts they were seeking to interview on a variety of breaking news stories equally as wide ranging and sometimes unpredictable.
Pros
Beautiful location, great benefits, stimulating subject matter and co-workers, students, professors and campus vistors.
Cons
Politcs 101, low level of training especially in mangement roles, heavy administrative layer, hierarchical, hard to get promoted due to unfair nature of political environment at times.
Great research institution
Research Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 26, 2017
I was involved in research at the department of gastroenterology.
The research was to find the connections between autism and the microbiome. The University of Miami is a stron institution for research.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
too much paperwork
nice work enviroment
Research Associate 2 (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 26, 2017
Was a nice blend of cultures and that help me grow as a human being.Also working with different researches at the same time help me to view the health field as a big conglomerate.
Pros
pay sick days
High volume and demanding.
Service Response Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 19, 2017
I must honestly say that while employed at The University of Miami Hospital, I learned how to be more compassionated. To see first hand the urgency and the need of the patients caused me to be more humble. However, the position was demanding and sometimes stressful, and at the same time exhilarating; with a diverse culture. The hardest part of the job was the division within the departments, and the most enjoyable part of the job, was knowing that I succeeded in making a patients' stay a little more comfortable.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay rate, and lack of healthcare.
Good
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 10, 2017
Good place to learn about international relations as well as the best way to teach international relations as well as run a classroom, handle students, and maintain all logistics for the class as well as grading.
University of Miami
Tissue Bank Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 10, 2017
University of Miami Tissue Bank was a great experience. At the time I was attending school for educational purposes. I learned a lot of skills and knowledge and I am grateful for the opportunity.
Experience and Salary
Senior Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 7, 2017
It was a great experience working with UM. For the position I took on the salary was reasonable base on my experience. We did have dead lines to meet, but what job doesn't. The best part I like was I was able to work self sufficiently. My superiors was not always down my throat on what I was doing. I got the job done and that is what mattered.
Temp Job
Administrative Assistant Temp (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 6, 2017
This was longgggg time ago, and was a temp job only in the Sylvester Building Cancer Center. Covering for another person that it was in the Leave of Absent. Only 3 months.
Assist with telephons
Medical internal medicine secretary (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 2, 2017
Manage as many calls as possible to further assist patients with any issues and concerns they have at the present time. Manage all emails and respond within a timely manner, make sure to have all documents ready for my provider for his/her signature and to be faxed out to their desired destinations.
Pros
speak to patients
Cons
no cons
nice stay at university of miami
Doctor of Philosophy in Organic Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 30, 2017
good atmosphere to do research work, people are cooperative and
people can manage the work with the peaceful mind, Research is the place where we can enjoy the most.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Can be Productive and Fun at times
Manage Care Collector/ Central Business Office (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 25, 2017
Hostile Environment
You have to Pay for Parking
No Pay Raises for Staff (Only for Professionals)
Seasoned Staff are offered very low pay
No pay Raises for Staff (Non Professionals)
Only "Professionals" are offered a decent living salary and perks
Pros
Being apart of the UM Brand
Cons
Staff (Non Professionals) with experience offered very low salary
Good to work in a higher education sector
Web Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 24, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the work was to find solutions to faculty member's requirements. The culture was usually peaceful and respectful. The hardest part was to follow up people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Miami. Our community is ready to answer.