University of Miami Employee Reviews

Working for the University gave me experience and a taught me to have a positive attitude to achieve excellence.
Assistant to the Senior Director of Advancement (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 29, 2015
There’s no such thing as a typical day for an Administrative Assistant “Everyday is different.” That is the beauty of the job. In other words, tomorrow won’t be a predictable repeat of today at work I’m always ready to tackle the unexpected assignment as well as the routine tasks and ongoing projects. One day, I could be spending half the day arranging meetings and the other half producing a PowerPoint presentation for my boss. The next day I could be working with arranging for an event or an informal reception for college, starting from the budget to the setup of a template for my processes requesting possible locations, catering, find staff volunteers, event promotion, create list of invitees and so forth. I also do a lot of run financial reports, return phone calls, schedule meetings, keep calendars, type correspondence, order office supplies, filing, train staff on financial software program; Excel; Word; PowerPoint; Publisher; Outlook as well as schedule travel and various projects that arise on a daily basis.
Pros
Collaborating with various people, great experience as well as benefits such as healthcare, retirement, tuition.
Cons
Excessive turnover at the supervision level.
Excellent work environment but very small salary
PAYMENT POSTER/PATIENT ACCOUNTS REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 9, 2014
The University of Miami is an excellent place to work. It embraces cultural diversity and is very community orientated. My fellow coworkers take pride in their work and understands how their responsibilities fit into the goals of the University and are willing to put in extra effort to help the University succeed. The top management supports diversity and promotes cultural activities throughout the year. The University has an excellent benefit package and offers tuition assistance for children of employees.

However, growth upward is very slow. Although I am satisfied with the working conditions, the chance of a promotion or any upward growth in the Unit is slow, if not non-existent. Many of my coworkers left because the rate of inflation has grown more than our salaries, so we have no choice but to look elsewhere for opportunities where growth is possible.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the calm and peace of mind working with my fellow workers and the hardest part is the fact that our salary will not increase to catch up with inflation.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
low salaries
Job review
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 25, 2014
have always had a passion for neuroscience and the human brain, which represents one of the last uncharted frontiers of human biology. As I pursued my education in neurobiology and chemistry, I also pursued further avenues of study to enhance my understanding, and feed my passion. As a research assistant at the University of Miami, I have had the opportunity to acquire a lot of firsthand knowledge and experience by researching and working directly with tissue samples, and analyzing images of spinal cord injuries.

With nearly a decade of lab experience, I continued to pursue advancement in both my education and career, and began working in the University of Miami's Department of Neurology, performing on-call services for the Brain Endowment Bank. There, I procured and processed brain tissue, conducted research and Neuropathology on the many cases that I encountered, and catalogued and inventoried autopsy and medical information related to the histology, and Neuropathology of the brains I worked with. With over 15 years of experience in the fields of Neuropathology and neuroscience to draw from, I am well-informed, experienced, and up-to-date on the current state of my field of study.
Cons
depending on grants
Great work environment, loving co-workers
Sr. H.I.M Clerk (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 26, 2015
Bascom Palmer's typical day of work consist of multitasking, patient interaction and smiles. Everyday differs from the next with training on new upcoming technical advances for our medical records department. Management is great in assisting with the transitioning from paper to electronics and me and my co-workers come together as a team to ensure that everyone grasp what is taught and that everyone is up to speed on their current workflows, so that no one is left behind. The job is full of challenges but the most difficult for me would be the process of locating missing documents which is similar to trying to find your keys after the last person with them was your 2 year old child, almost nerve wrecking, but in spite of the rigorous search for loose documents the atmosphere and the co-workers make it all enjoyable.
Pros
Great give aways
Cons
no advancements
Bitter Sweet!!! Love my job!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 21, 2012
This is by the BEST job I have ever had in my working life! UM really takes care of their employees although the pay is not that great for entry level positions, I loved my department! My boss was amazing, my co-workers were amazing, and most of the students that worked in the office we just as amazing! Lovely environment, I cannot complain! I wish if I could get paid what I wanted, I probably would've have been there much longer. I was in pursuit of more education and advanced degrees (I mean they really encourage you to grow academically, personally, and professionally). I was sooooo blessed! People are friendly on campus although the students are a bit snobby, I enjoyed my department.
Pros
they encourgae growth in terms of academics, prpfessional growth.
Cons
snobby students and some favoritisim with employees are played with administration
A learning and satisfying experience
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 13, 2015
Nothing motivates me more than to know that my day starts with a brief organizational meeting among my team members. Once in place then we deliver excellent service to the different patients. Love to see their faces of satisfaction and a bright smile (this is the best and most enjoyable feeling, and it has always been in every job that I have held to date) because of this the hardest part is to see the opposite which is a patient that gets frustrated due to our inability to deliver what was promised to them and in some cases not because our direct interaction but nevertheless painful anyway. My passion towards customer satisfaction is my first commandment.
Pros
flexibility, ability to fligh high (the sky is the limit)
Cons
expiring grants
Productive, extremely busy. Time passes quickly.
Manager, Field Human Resources (Shares Services) (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 5, 2014
I start my day answering emails and voicemails. I review my calendar for the day and week. Depending on the urgency of the emails and voicemails, I determine if I need to reschedule any appointments. Sixty per cent of my calendar has standing appointments. I prepare for meetings with Vice Chair Administrators and employees. I meet with employees daily and VCAs bi-weekly.
The hardest part of my job is meeting with offsite employees. Due to the distant and my availability, rescheduling is not always possible in the same week. In my role the leadership styles are primarily as Consultant and Counselor.
The most enjoyable part of my job is training. In the current HR Shared-service model, I do not get the opportunity to train or facilitate meetings as much as I would like.
Pros
helping others.
Cons
distant between clients.
The work is never show cased but the reward is priceless
Assistant Equipment Manager, UM Football (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 19, 2014
A typical day is in the door by 6am and leaving at 7pm. It consist of dealing with players, coaches and senior administrators. I am constantly putting out fires and making close to impossible request made possible with little or no time given. My product is what America sees on saturdays. I take great care in making sure all my players and coaches have the necessary equipment to preform at their best and have the ability to compete.

I manage a staff of 7 student workers and 2 interns during the course of the days and weeks of a season and an off season.
Pros
working for the university of miami football team
Cons
long hours, lots of stress
Guarding the student dorms all night long.
Security Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLDecember 21, 2014
A typical night at work included staying awake and checking in dorm-residents and guests. We assisted in case of emergencies and contacted emergency personnel when required. I learned that night jobs aren't for me and students try to sneak in a lot of contraband when they think no one is paying attention. The hardest part of the job was staying awake when it hit around 4 am because my shift ended at 7 am. My co-workers were supportive at night but weren't very interested in anyone otherwise. Management was always available and helpful when you needed it and we're always a call away. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility of the shifts and the potential of earning $800 a week.
Data collection through telephone interviews, workshops, seminars etc
Sr. Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 5, 2015
Collected both quantitative and qualitative data from Miami Dade County School Districts high schools for the Smaller Learning Communities Program (SLC) which were specialized, and more realistic and applicable to students who otherwise found the general curriculum non-applicable to real life.

Attrition rates in Miami county high schools were getting higher as were student dropouts, therefore SLCs provided smaller more initimate courses such as culinary, CSI, Engineering, mechanics, etc, for students who were interested.

This also gave students who did not want to go to college an avenue to pursue technical careers after high school.
Pros
Student engagement and attention to learning skills.
Cons
Grant funded, budget cuts made program durability unstable
My current employer can be a nice place to work.
Miami, FL Senior Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 26, 2013
My current job is a place that I enjoy working at because all my co-workers are respectful to each other and also look out for each other. The rules and regulations are well set out to all employees which makes it really comfortable to perform our daily duties. My number one issue with my current Employer is the fact that, there isn't a chance for career advancement, promotion nor to excel. It feels like you are stuck in one place. Besides that, I think my current employer can be a nice place to work.
Pros
after reaching certain amount of years as an employee, you or your kids get to go to school for free.
Cons
no room to advance.
My Review Summary
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 1, 2012
A typical day at work icluded analytical methods for characterization of an enzyme Dextrunsucrase fround in Strepmutans. The foremen-
tion bacteria is a cause of dental decay. My work with coworkers was
to train them in analytical procedures to carry forth the research.
Management involved overseeing a compatible work situation. Back in the seventies, machines were coming into use and required patience when a need for repair, however, learning about how to handle situations with machine dysfuntion and a need for inmediate
testing of biological specimens could be rewarding in that new trouble
shooting methods were developed.
Pros
remission of college course fees for myself and my children
Cons
grant funds could run out
Providing excellent care and service for our patients is our mission.
Pathology Lab Assistant II/ Accessioning Clerk (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 30, 2016
I'm content when the lab staff and my self provide excellent care to patients who come in to our facility. Our goal is to process their lab work and others specimens in a timely fashion so that the nurses and doctors can provide the right treatment for the patient. I take my time do listen and make changes that will promote excellent patient care. The hardest part in my job is when I have a lot of patient's specimen to process in a timely manner and attending to calls that comes in frequently. The most enjoyable part of my job is when the staff and doctors thank my self and the lab staff for helping them preform their jobs effectively by processing their patients lab results in a timely manner. Every day that I have the opportunity to help someone is a great fulfillment in my life.
My review
Staff Development (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 19, 2014
UM was a great place to work. My typical day consisted of trouble shooting Patient access users questions wether it was a Epic question or a complicated Insurance they never heard of. I loved working without being micro managed, I was allowed the freedom to be creative in my Topic Summaries and Projects I constantly had assigned to me. I also trained and provided access to new employees every other week in a 5 day intense basic training that I with the help of my Manager created and Implemented together, I was also involve as a Super User during the Epic implementation phases.
Pros
great benefits, great environment
Cons
my office was relocated to a very far location
Fun place to work
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLNovember 13, 2013
I was responsible for the sales and contracts of the Convention Center. Dealing with clients in booking their event space, coordinating Audio Visual equipment, floor plans, event logistics, accounts payable and receivables.
Learned to be more career minded, sales skills and grow within the event industry.
Managed a group of 5-10 wonderful staff members, at a 38000 sq. ft. conference center with a $850,000.00 budget in room rental along.
The hardest part was going to school and working at the same time due to the event schedules.
The most enjoyable time is at the end of the event for the client to say THANK YOU, job well done.
Pros
free tuition, healthcare benefits, environment.
Productive IT department we are always busy, but lacks IT policies.
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 8, 2013
IT systems not setup properly lacks a strick IT policy. Lack of proper training and advancement. Lack of communication between IT departments. Typical work day involves assiting students, teachers and researchers with PC issues and network configuration (wifi setup, setup shared drives, perform backups, and multiple server configuration and management. Co-Workers are good, but don't have communication skills or proper documentation to asssit my work. Must do most of my troubleshooting research on my own. Most enjoyable part is the flexible work hours and the user are very relaxed and understanding.
Pros
flexible management, relaxed environment.
Cons
poor benefits, lack of classroom it training or advancement, .
Learning Environment
Coordinator for State and Federal Programs (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 26, 2015
The University of Miami was my preferred work place. I never felt as good in any other work place.

I grew from a Receptionist to a Coordinator of the State and Federal Programs and enjoyed every minute of it.

I learned the business from several excellent tutors and the encouragement of the Deans and Directors at the time. I developed many new skills while attending school and working at the same time.

I was responsible for distribution of funds, administering the programs according to the Federal and State Laws and Regulations, reconciliation of accounts, disbursing funds to students, preparing reports to the Directors for review, assists with yearly internal and external audits.
Pros
Learned from the bottom up
Cons
I retired due to personal family problems
Fun and rewarding place to start your career!
Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 19, 2013
It was a very busy and productive work place, which I loved. The management was wonderful. I miss working here so much! We were like on big happy family. I worked there for a little over two years, but sometimes life happens and things don't go your way. I have learned to not sweat the small things and look at the bigger picture. I could have been in a great place with UM, but I was young and not as mature as I am today. I send my love!
Pros
great benefits, pto, holiday celebrations, special events, etc.
I am a efficient worker
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 7, 2015
Provide great support to patients and my superiors

What I have learned at my past and present job to ensure that; I bring great character that will enhance my interpersonal skills.

To be a Manager it is imperative that he or she conduct effective fundamental skills

I have engaged with very difficult co workers and some that are pleasant

I have not encounter any difficult issues within my 21 years of working in the Healthcare industry; I have learned through my years in order to succeed in life within your personal life or work; it is imperative that you are passionate among others.

I enjoy building a professional relationship with my co workers and with the patients
Productive and Quiet Place to work
User Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLMarch 28, 2013
A typical day involves signing in for work, checking computers, stocking up on supplies like paper and staples, swiping users cards as they enter, and assisting users with using the system. Management offers opportunities in flexibility of scheduling based on class schedule and the workers are willing to help with trading shifts and offering assistance. The hardest part of my job is sometimes finding available times to work around my class schedule and the most enjoyable part is being able to help others without feeling I'm sacrificing too much school time.
Pros
time to do school work, flexibility of hours worked