University of Miami Employee Reviews

Sponsored Programs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 4, 2016
Worked with a great group of people. As an educational and research facility, UM campus is always bustling with activity. At the Sponsored programs dept. there is so much to learn, proposals are sent out, grants are awarded, tracking of the award and spending keeps you engaged. Then there's the billing and reporting aspect of the job, how exciting! It goes on..You may even run into Sebastian, our mascot.We are all a team on the campus as we work together to ensure a place of learning, teaching, serving for a better community and a better world. Go Canes!
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
commute can be exhausting
Productive/Job Security
Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 30, 2015
Supportive Management and nice work/life balance. Decent benefits. A good environment and culture is pretty positive. Not too much room for growth.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not too much room for growth.
Great workplace with an amazing staff
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 23, 2015
A regular workday includes myself assuring all staff and personnel begin and end their day with a smile. Making sure all of the building;s needs are met, whether its by working with the Facilities Manager, or the Post Docs, as well as answering a twelve line switchboard
Pros
tons of employee discounts, awesome benefits
Good Place to work
Director, Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJuly 5, 2016
I was able to incorporate into the new program, learned the new systems upgrade and meet complexed mission requirements. Mission requirements required the implementation of new operating systems, the closure of a warehouse, the implementation of a Just in Time distribution program, the establishment of a replenishment program at a well known hospital, the establishment of a replenishment model in a still under construction outpatient clinic and last but not least establishing the just in time replenishment model to 15 additional outpatient clinics.
Pros
complexed mission requirements
Cons
resources tied to sequence of events and not readily available
A Great Place to Work For
Lead Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJune 30, 2016
Being part of the University Of Miami was the greatest privilege. UM was not only an entity that encompassed compassion for patients but also for employees. As a typical day at UM may have been challenging every day, it taught me that to be part of something big you have to desire it and be committed. My first experience as a Team Leader taught me how to be more empathetic, compassionate and patient not only with my team and patients but in life. Management at UM are about working together as a team ,not bias. Their mission shows that there is no I in team. That success is a Team effort. My co-workers were like my brothers and sisters. We had moments where we would not agree, but no matter what, the level of respect did not interrupt our mission. The hardest part of my job was having to make the hardest decision to leave for family reasons. And the most enjoyable part of my job was being part of an entity that was selfless.
Pros
Birthday Celebrations and Award Recognitions
Cons
Thirty Minute Lunch hours
Overall a good place to a part of.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 1, 2015
Left for health reasons. Enjoyed working with staff, students and the public. Opportunities for promotions and for management.
Pros
Avaible educational benifits.
Cons
Worked along and no complaints.
A typical day at my current job
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 12, 2016
Give support to the Chairman making sure all meetings are confirmed and he attends. Answer phones and direct caller to appropriate department or facility. Approve time for faculty with sick or vacation request. Assist co-workers with information they need from from checking if a PO has been created, to creating PO and placing orders for supplies needed. The most difficult part of my job not being able to assist patients who call with billing questions The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to assist anyone who contacts me for assistance.
Pros
Employed by well known University
Cons
Opportunity for growth is limited
this is a very fast paced workenviroment
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 9, 2016
I find i learn something every day despite my years of experience here, it is a very dynamic and fast moving environment and I enjoy the madness at time.... in HR we are a family and support each other. I am currently mentoring two HR generalist in all facets of my job, I feel truly inspired when I see their progress and encouraged to see their growth on a daily basis.

The worst aspect of my position is when I have to terminate an employee, which is not done lightly and great effort is exercised to try and help them remedy their deficiencies in order to keep them. that I am making a difference in people’s lives.

And the most enjoyable is one I can offer a position/promotion or a reward for a job well done
Working for the University gave me experience and a taught me to have a positive attitude to achieve excellence.
Assistant to the Senior Director of Advancement (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 29, 2015
There’s no such thing as a typical day for an Administrative Assistant “Everyday is different.” That is the beauty of the job. In other words, tomorrow won’t be a predictable repeat of today at work I’m always ready to tackle the unexpected assignment as well as the routine tasks and ongoing projects. One day, I could be spending half the day arranging meetings and the other half producing a PowerPoint presentation for my boss. The next day I could be working with arranging for an event or an informal reception for college, starting from the budget to the setup of a template for my processes requesting possible locations, catering, find staff volunteers, event promotion, create list of invitees and so forth. I also do a lot of run financial reports, return phone calls, schedule meetings, keep calendars, type correspondence, order office supplies, filing, train staff on financial software program; Excel; Word; PowerPoint; Publisher; Outlook as well as schedule travel and various projects that arise on a daily basis.
Pros
Collaborating with various people, great experience as well as benefits such as healthcare, retirement, tuition.
Cons
Excessive turnover at the supervision level.
A private academic institution i with a strong presence in South Florida
Administration staff member (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 7, 2016
Enjoy an outstanding relationship with the local and international student community providing bilingual technical and academic advice and support.

Promoted specific operational proposals, and developed initiatives to promote the university locally and abroad.
Pros
Educational opportunities
Cons
Poor management leading to no career advancement despite professional credentials and experience.
People are professional and productive
Substitute Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 29, 2015
I really like the working environment at the University of Miami. I am working with brilliant people who run a lots of innovate behavioral research projects, and clinical and research experience I am getting out this appointment is priceless.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
good
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 29, 2015
everything is good, we have benefits but the salary i think is not good enough for the position and work volume what I do, i lot of work pressure .
Pros
not paid
Cons
breaks are paid
Corporate, money driven
Supervisor of Medical Collections (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 8, 2015
Great company to work for but, hard to grow as its based on who you know, not what you know. Revolving door, seeking for more stability.
Pros
Personal Time and benefits
Cons
Unprofessional, unqualified people in management grandfathered in
great place to work
Alumni Relations (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLNovember 14, 2015
Great place to work. Beautiful campus, great energy, but pay is very low and opportunities for growth are skim. Benefits are great.
Pros
great campus
Cons
pay is really low
Underpaid and too many demands
Director (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 9, 2016
The University systematically underpays its employees. They charge more than 550.00 per year just to park your car on campus and that does not guarantee a spot. They expect everyone to be on call 24 hours a day. Their yearly raises do not even keep up with the amount they charge for parking.
Pros
nice campus
Cons
low pay, restrictions on benefits charge for parking outrageous
an enjoyable experience
Sr. Facilities Operations Control Representative (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJuly 12, 2016
Work with student on campus assisting with daily duties such as responding to emergency calls from student housing regarding floods, access issues and security. Provided daily reports detailing all activities throughout the night on campus.
Pros
working on college campus
Cons
leadership
UM is terrible
Director of Student Services (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJune 25, 2016
The University of Miami was the best place I ever worked in the beginning and then it was taken over by total frauds. Deans that got their jobs because of their spouses, people that stole money right and left, and bipolar people put in positions of power. What a shame! UM was not a team, it was a family at one time. Now it is a corporate disaster.
A great work environment
Senior Patient Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 25, 2016
My years in Miami were exceptional and cannot complain. They were fun and I enjoyed making new friends as i had recently moved to the US from Honduras. It was my first job here and i learned the necessary professional tools to finally move to CA in 2007. The University of Miami was great to work for.
Pros
Coworkers, benefits, fun place
Cons
distance work - home
Lecturer, Department of Art & Art History (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLApril 22, 2016
Highly recognized as a strong private university with students coming from many privileged education backgrounds. Excellent students/well endowed campus in a beautiful setting with much going on culturally in surrounding area.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
some humanities departments are less endowed than STEM disciplines
The place is in continual transtion
Network Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 9, 2016
the whole process is in when i was there causing it to b e a very difficult place to work for an extended length of time. I personally tried to ride it over for 3 years but nothing changed and it have become a culture on micromanagement and distrust
Pros
expopsure to lots of differant technology
Cons
conctant restrecture and insecurity do to frequest leadership changes