University of Miami Employee Reviews

Productive/Job Security
Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 30, 2015
Supportive Management and nice work/life balance. Decent benefits. A good environment and culture is pretty positive. Not too much room for growth.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not too much room for growth.
Good Place to work
Director, Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJuly 5, 2016
I was able to incorporate into the new program, learned the new systems upgrade and meet complexed mission requirements. Mission requirements required the implementation of new operating systems, the closure of a warehouse, the implementation of a Just in Time distribution program, the establishment of a replenishment program at a well known hospital, the establishment of a replenishment model in a still under construction outpatient clinic and last but not least establishing the just in time replenishment model to 15 additional outpatient clinics.
Pros
complexed mission requirements
Cons
resources tied to sequence of events and not readily available
A Great Place to Work For
Lead Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJune 30, 2016
Being part of the University Of Miami was the greatest privilege. UM was not only an entity that encompassed compassion for patients but also for employees. As a typical day at UM may have been challenging every day, it taught me that to be part of something big you have to desire it and be committed. My first experience as a Team Leader taught me how to be more empathetic, compassionate and patient not only with my team and patients but in life. Management at UM are about working together as a team ,not bias. Their mission shows that there is no I in team. That success is a Team effort. My co-workers were like my brothers and sisters. We had moments where we would not agree, but no matter what, the level of respect did not interrupt our mission. The hardest part of my job was having to make the hardest decision to leave for family reasons. And the most enjoyable part of my job was being part of an entity that was selfless.
Pros
Birthday Celebrations and Award Recognitions
Cons
Thirty Minute Lunch hours
A typical day at my current job
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 12, 2016
Give support to the Chairman making sure all meetings are confirmed and he attends. Answer phones and direct caller to appropriate department or facility. Approve time for faculty with sick or vacation request. Assist co-workers with information they need from from checking if a PO has been created, to creating PO and placing orders for supplies needed. The most difficult part of my job not being able to assist patients who call with billing questions The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to assist anyone who contacts me for assistance.
Pros
Employed by well known University
Cons
Opportunity for growth is limited
Sponsored Programs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 4, 2016
Worked with a great group of people. As an educational and research facility, UM campus is always bustling with activity. At the Sponsored programs dept. there is so much to learn, proposals are sent out, grants are awarded, tracking of the award and spending keeps you engaged. Then there's the billing and reporting aspect of the job, how exciting! It goes on..You may even run into Sebastian, our mascot.We are all a team on the campus as we work together to ensure a place of learning, teaching, serving for a better community and a better world. Go Canes!
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
commute can be exhausting
this is a very fast paced workenviroment
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 9, 2016
I find i learn something every day despite my years of experience here, it is a very dynamic and fast moving environment and I enjoy the madness at time.... in HR we are a family and support each other. I am currently mentoring two HR generalist in all facets of my job, I feel truly inspired when I see their progress and encouraged to see their growth on a daily basis.

The worst aspect of my position is when I have to terminate an employee, which is not done lightly and great effort is exercised to try and help them remedy their deficiencies in order to keep them. that I am making a difference in people’s lives.

And the most enjoyable is one I can offer a position/promotion or a reward for a job well done
A private academic institution i with a strong presence in South Florida
Administration staff member (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 7, 2016
Enjoy an outstanding relationship with the local and international student community providing bilingual technical and academic advice and support.

Promoted specific operational proposals, and developed initiatives to promote the university locally and abroad.
Pros
Educational opportunities
Cons
Poor management leading to no career advancement despite professional credentials and experience.
Overall a good place to a part of.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 1, 2015
Left for health reasons. Enjoyed working with staff, students and the public. Opportunities for promotions and for management.
Pros
Avaible educational benifits.
Cons
Worked along and no complaints.
Great work environment, loving co-workers
Sr. H.I.M Clerk (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 26, 2015
Bascom Palmer's typical day of work consist of multitasking, patient interaction and smiles. Everyday differs from the next with training on new upcoming technical advances for our medical records department. Management is great in assisting with the transitioning from paper to electronics and me and my co-workers come together as a team to ensure that everyone grasp what is taught and that everyone is up to speed on their current workflows, so that no one is left behind. The job is full of challenges but the most difficult for me would be the process of locating missing documents which is similar to trying to find your keys after the last person with them was your 2 year old child, almost nerve wrecking, but in spite of the rigorous search for loose documents the atmosphere and the co-workers make it all enjoyable.
Pros
Great give aways
Cons
no advancements
Underpaid and too many demands
Director (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 9, 2016
The University systematically underpays its employees. They charge more than 550.00 per year just to park your car on campus and that does not guarantee a spot. They expect everyone to be on call 24 hours a day. Their yearly raises do not even keep up with the amount they charge for parking.
Pros
nice campus
Cons
low pay, restrictions on benefits charge for parking outrageous
cool place to work great benefits
Sr Insurance Verfier (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 17, 2015
management sucks but great company for advancement and long term opportunities. no bonuses but lots of perks for employees
an enjoyable experience
Sr. Facilities Operations Control Representative (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJuly 12, 2016
Work with student on campus assisting with daily duties such as responding to emergency calls from student housing regarding floods, access issues and security. Provided daily reports detailing all activities throughout the night on campus.
Pros
working on college campus
Cons
leadership
UM is terrible
Director of Student Services (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJune 25, 2016
The University of Miami was the best place I ever worked in the beginning and then it was taken over by total frauds. Deans that got their jobs because of their spouses, people that stole money right and left, and bipolar people put in positions of power. What a shame! UM was not a team, it was a family at one time. Now it is a corporate disaster.
Great Place work, Fast Pace Office Enviroment , Great work Culture, Very Rewarding.
Sr.Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 22, 2016
Great Place to be in. You learn something Every day. Management Well Organized and most Importanly The "U" Knows hot to value Employees. I have Learned so much in the University of Miami
A great work environment
Senior Patient Clinical Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 25, 2016
My years in Miami were exceptional and cannot complain. They were fun and I enjoyed making new friends as i had recently moved to the US from Honduras. It was my first job here and i learned the necessary professional tools to finally move to CA in 2007. The University of Miami was great to work for.
Pros
Coworkers, benefits, fun place
Cons
distance work - home
Lecturer, Department of Art & Art History (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLApril 22, 2016
Highly recognized as a strong private university with students coming from many privileged education backgrounds. Excellent students/well endowed campus in a beautiful setting with much going on culturally in surrounding area.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
some humanities departments are less endowed than STEM disciplines
The place is in continual transtion
Network Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 9, 2016
the whole process is in when i was there causing it to b e a very difficult place to work for an extended length of time. I personally tried to ride it over for 3 years but nothing changed and it have become a culture on micromanagement and distrust
Pros
expopsure to lots of differant technology
Cons
conctant restrecture and insecurity do to frequest leadership changes
Reimbursement Variance Representative (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 26, 2016
University of Miami is great place to work, the management and the staff is very friendly. This company we get tuition remission to be able to get your Bachelor's Degree.
Pros
Tuition Remission
Cons
Short break
Providing excellent care and service for our patients is our mission.
Pathology Lab Assistant II/ Accessioning Clerk (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 30, 2016
I'm content when the lab staff and my self provide excellent care to patients who come in to our facility. Our goal is to process their lab work and others specimens in a timely fashion so that the nurses and doctors can provide the right treatment for the patient. I take my time do listen and make changes that will promote excellent patient care. The hardest part in my job is when I have a lot of patient's specimen to process in a timely manner and attending to calls that comes in frequently. The most enjoyable part of my job is when the staff and doctors thank my self and the lab staff for helping them preform their jobs effectively by processing their patients lab results in a timely manner. Every day that I have the opportunity to help someone is a great fulfillment in my life.
Fun, fast paced workplace
Clinical Externship (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL 33136September 8, 2016
• Answered phones for the entire department
• Entered work orders into a program
• Assigned work orders & trouble tickets to techs
• Take the attendance board each morning and email it out to the department

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Miami. Our community is ready to answer.