University of Miami Employee Reviews

A good school and enjoyable workplace
Sr. Help Desk Technician, Richter Library (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLDecember 29, 2016
While "The U" may suffer from the same maladies afflicting colleges and universities around the country at this time and is therefore top heavy with administration and obsessed with turning campus into country club, it's still a very pleasant place to work. The main campus is gorgeous, the students are bright and polite and general well behaved. Sure, there are some overprivileged snots to tend to but overall a very nice crop of kids.
An Exciting Place To Work
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 24, 2017
My tenure with the University of Miami has afforded many ample opportunities to teach with and learn from a rich, culturally diverse group of professionals. The University of Miami goes to great lengths to attract, recruit and develop top talent in all professional areas. I am honored to have been part of the University of Miami family!!!
Productive, good compensation
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 21, 2017
Good work culture - coming to work is fun and there are always nights out and something for everyone
Good management
Good compensation
Great people at all levels of the company; like joining a family and everyone is supportive of each other and has a great time together
Interesting projects
Pros
Compensation, benefits
Casual undergrad TA position
Undergraduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLNovember 25, 2016
Collect and grade materials
help create assignments
enter grades
interact with students and faculty
researched orbital mechanics
Augmented assignments to incorporate my undergraduate research
helped student with senior design projects
Pros
Casual job, great faculty (the ones i worked with), research is a plus
Cons
not any significant ones!
Hopefully UM has improved its culture and work environment
Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 28, 2016
Unfortunately, management led through fear and intimidation. There was a "cover your back" mentality and lack of teamwork. Managers (at every level) seemed fearful and actively sabotaged each other at every turn. There was also a sad habit to make the SVP of HR the scapegoat or "bad guy" for every tough decision. There was a lack of courage and innovation at every level of the organization. It was a very toxic place to work
Productive and enjoyable work place
Athletic Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 13, 2016
Working for the marketing department within University of Miami Athletics was a great internship for me to do, and if I could go back in time I would do it all over again. When I first got to the University of Miami I wanted to be a sports broadcaster and I honestly still wouldn’t mind doing it, but this internship for marketing opened my eyes to a whole new field of work. I’ve learned so many things while working with my supervisors and other interns as well as working with other departments with athletics.
The worst of its kind
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJanuary 6, 2017
UMPD does not support their police officers.They took away comp time,step raises.The chief is a joke who is there self-benefiting neglecting officers.
Pros
At least I have a job- per the chief's words.
Cons
Really, no police benefits and it's impossible to move up the chain let alone be a detective.
Too Many Administrators
Research Assistant/Lecturer/Assistant Debate Coach (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLMarch 18, 2017
Lots of bureaucracy without anyone taking responsibility for their errors. Contractual obligations are interpreted as simply guidelines and require vigilant work on the employees part to ensure they are followed.
Marina Assistance / Cahiers
Assistant Secretary (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 30, 2016
Had to have a great customer services to greet and assisted customers.

Making sure all there information was up to date, data entry on Abacus and RDP programs.

Every month had to make sure all information was update. Adjusted credit card payments on a monthly basis.

Every Summer had to update all customers files, regarding there properties and safety issues. Bookkeeping, filing and updating hurricane preparations.

Assisted in docking vessels.
Pros
Met a lot of famous people
Cons
Had to learn to deal with the stress.
Current Employment
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day at work can be normal if you are accustomed to doing differentroutine with last minute notification. Also, the environment was welcoming and very friendly. There are a lot of learning and growth opportunities, and a very diverse culture
Productive workplace
Sr. buyer/ Procurement manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 4, 2017
I've worked at the university for more than 15 years. I have grown within the department leading me to my current position which I've held for the last ten years.
I am relocating this is the reason for my job searching
......................
Pros
Tuition remission
Cons
Great employer, and a fun place to work.
Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  coral Gables ,FLNovember 7, 2016
The most enjoyable part to the job is the various employees you meet and the opportunity you have to help them solve their employment related issues. The hardest part of the position was to make tough decisions that may not always positively impact the employee's employment outcome.
Great opportunities to learn and grow
Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 14, 2016
I love working for the University. I work in a team setting and all of my co-workers have become family. Everyone goes above and beyond to help the other. The hardest part is work/life balance. I work many early mornings, evenings and weekends in the marketing and events department.
Lacking employees with accountability and respect
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 31, 2016
The employee moral is combative and the management and HR dept are very disconnected. The equipment is far below par. Too much turnover in the department, related to how new people are treated like outsiders.
Excellent place to work and learn new concepts
Network Architect (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJanuary 17, 2017
University of Miami is a great place to work for growth and experience. Good people and dynamic environment makes no two days the same.
Pros
Great work/life balance, excellent benefits for retirement
Great way to get a college experience
Directors/Associate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 31, 2016
assisting two Directors, and one Assistant Director. Greeting incoming Students and Parents to the University, answering phones, inputting data for registration, and any Alternative Spring Break Programs. Other duties as assigned by management.
great place to work in
Graduate Student Government Association Senator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 12, 2017
great place to work in and grow in higher education if that is what you are aiming for, great benefits and great if you want to go back to school.rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 8, 2017
Nice place to work. Great environment. Team work. Great experience. Very relax kind of environment. Great doctors and nurses. Many years of many achievements.
Pros
environment
Cons
far away from my house
Good opportunities
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 23, 2016
A decent place to work they offer usually better pay then most also capable of moving up the chain mostly on the clerical/administrative side. Extreme high volume of patients at the cancer center.
Excellent work environment
ERP Systems and Analytics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 13, 2017
Friendly and knowledgeable staff, great growth opportunity, competitive salary. The training is very thorough, and they have an incredible campus culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Miami. Our community is ready to answer.

87%