University of Miami Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Database Developer (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 22, 2017
Nice work environment, The cowokers are friendly and eager to work with you. They welcome you on your first day on the job. Make you feel part of the family. You are free to ask questions without having to feel ashame or bashful. You are giving proper initial training
Pros
Relax environment
Cons
Temp job
great job
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 17, 2017
working with others helping them find the right building. I work at night so we closed everything up and make sure the building is secured.This job id great I love helping people.
Great pay. Great benefits. Physician driven environment, lack of nursing advocacy
RN (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 16, 2017
Potential to be a great place to work. You'll do fine if you show up and do what you're told with no question. When you start to question things you know are not right, you place a target on your back. Definitely a "this is how we've always done it" environment. Most employees have been with the company forever and do not appreciate correction. Language barriers in certain department make it a challenge to communicate important aspects of patient care. A very top heavy company in which those at the top are not in sync with the true operations of those they make decisions for. Company has done a great job in branding but once you're in and if you have any type of experience in an environment where nurses count you'll quickly see you're no longer there. Nurses have no voice. Nurse administrators do not speak up for what is right concerning nursing roles (ie.nurses placing orders for physicians that are clearly visible but just won't do it) as they are trying to keep their job. If you have a question about a policy/protocol, good luck trying to find one that has been properly reviewed and updated. If you're ready to be quiet in your nursing role or just do what you're told in effort to advance your career this is the place for you. If you want a place to take care of patients and go home, this is the place for you. If you're one that is highly motivated, driven by efforts to improve processes, an advocate for nursing you'll be okay for a short period and then find yourself exhausted when you learn your efforts aren't supported. No job is perfect, just depends what you're willing  more... to put up with.  less
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Physician driven. Nurses have no voice.
Medical Collector, Physician Billing (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 14, 2017
Relaxed and easy job, but not many opportunity for advancement. You come in and you are supposed to work fifty invoices a day as a collector. Which seems like a lot but its manageable.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Short lunches
Its ok
Data entry (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 1, 2017
The work is important but everything else is a typical job. Staff is friendly and helpful but management is sneaky and only promote and hire friends and family. No real chance for advancement if you not a friend.
Interesting University, had the right mix of COMPUTER SCIENCE AND BUSINESS SCIENCE.
Market Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 29, 2017
The Univerity of Miami has been improving for years; it is going in the right direction. Tosy ia RANKED AMONG THE BEST Universities in the USAS. It is a great combination of work and study while pursuing advanced degrees.
Good employer to work for
Senior Safety/Field Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 27, 2017
A good employer with fairly good benefits and pay. It is not the type of employer that tolerates excessive absenteeism or people showing up to work late consistently. UM is a very strict employer, but in general; the pay and working conditions are acceptable.
Pros
Fairly good pay
Cons
Mandatory overtime, long walks
Very competitive
Sr Library (Current Employee) –  Calder LibraryAugust 18, 2017
University of Miami is a good place for be successful. Good trainers, staff, very helpful. My job is working with students, help them in their needs. Library is good for their needs.
Decent workplace, expensive place to work
Department of Finance & Treasury (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 15, 2017
$500.00+ for parking
Insurance rates are high
Not much opportunity for advancement.
Other than these cons it is a nice place to work. The campus is beautiful and the employee events are always fun.
Neoptism
Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL 33162August 14, 2017
the hardest part of the job was trying to get your job done dealing with the nonsense of the other employees. I learned a new specilaity
and excelled at it
Pros
Cons
everything
Great Work Place
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 12, 2017
I have learned a lot working at the University of Miami. I have had the privilege to work with very friendly and helping people. I'm looking for employment elsewhere because I graduated in a field that is different that my actual work field.
review
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 10, 2017
Good benefits, don't pay very well but worth it for the benefits. Short lunches but you get time off and good insurance. Not much room for advancement, you have to know someone.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
no room to grow
Hard life for a graduate student
Full time graduate student (Current Employee) –  Medical campusAugust 9, 2017
Be expected to work 60+ hours a week as a graduate student here. The positive side is you can go to the beach on your off time. A BIG con is the cost o living here is kind of crazy and the stipend is not really enough to live comfortably.
Pros
you can find free lunch for graduate students at least once a week somewhere most of the time
Cons
Medical campus is sketchy and unsafe at night
Good benefits
Intraoperative Monitoring Techn (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 8, 2017
At the university of Miami you work in a fast paced environment. At the University of Miami you get good benefits, especially for education. Management is constantly changing.
Teaching assistant and Doctoral Student
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 5, 2017
UM is simply wonderful! It is top-notch, state of the art, highly competitive, and would recommend it to any very, very serious student.

I taught several group piano classes and several private piano students as a teaching assistant.

I was very busy, because I had a 50-mile commute, and still taught 4 classes at another college.

I learned how to become a better private and piano classroom teacher.

The management was constantly under-going changes at the time I was there, which placed a certain amount of stress on the students.

The workplace culture was wonderfully diverse, which was an exciting experience.

The hardest part of the job was the long commute and long days.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the wonderful faculty and the amazing program, which was very demanding.
Pros
state-of-the-art technology, top professors
Cons
high fees, high parking fees and usually parking is hard to find
Academic Atmosphere and Culture
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 4, 2017
Working as a Teaching Assistant is an opportunity to gain experience in the classroom, earn a stipend toward living expenses while pursuing an advanced degree. The stipend is insufficient for a single person living in Miami but if combined with a partner's income, is reasonable. The academic atmosphere is generally relaxed and collegial.
Pros
Pursuit of advanced degree
Cons
Insufficient stipend
Slow paced work style and inefficient organization
Research Associate I (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 3, 2017
University of Miami provides an easy environment to adapt and pick up workload and this position enables me further advance my skill set to conduct biomedical research.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Low salary
Excellent
Neurology Department, Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 1, 2017
Excellent, teem work, adequate rate of payment,Universal benefits for workers and family.
Was an excellent experience, i can learn and provide my knowledge.
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Far from where i live
Very demanding workplace
Purchasing Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 1, 2017
A typical day of work consisted of receiving, review, and approving contracts for campus renovations or new construction projects. Work program directors to ensure smooth transition from beginning to end of a project.
Great options for students that need part-time jobs.
Conservation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 27, 2017
I just worked as a student assistant in the library so it wasn't anything fancy, but I really loved it. My boss was super chill, they let me work whatever hours I wanted to work with my class schedule, and did everything they could to make sure I stayed happy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Miami. Our community is ready to answer.