University of Miami Employee Reviews

Friendly great people
Coding Specialist Support (Current Employee) –  University of Miami, FLNovember 1, 2017
Work at UM is laid back and fun at times, working with patients is exciting and new daily and helping patients is so rewarding. There is such a rewarding atmosphere and family oriented.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Limited growth
Marketing Department
Social Media and Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 30, 2017
I worked part-time in Gables one. It was interesting to see the technicalities behind the university, and how much work goes into keeping the University into what it is.
The workspace is flexible and a comfortable environment. Not too intimidating, everyone is just there to do their jobs.
Great atmosphere, poor leadership
Donor Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 30, 2017
UM is a great place to work but new leadership has taken a more corporate approach. Many layoffs and uneasy atmosphere has employees constantly looking over their shoulders.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Tuition Remission, Flexible Schedules
Cons
Leadership, Salary
Content heavy stimulating pastoral workplace in the heart of Coral Gables
Assoc Director Communications and PR (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 27, 2017
For my brain which wants to be stimulated and learn new things every day higher education is the only place to work. On a daily basis I would go in not expecting any day to be typical in the UM Communications office. The number of possible media contacts that I would connect with daily could range from 5 to 25 and the subject matter experts they were seeking to interview on a variety of breaking news stories equally as wide ranging and sometimes unpredictable.
Pros
Beautiful location, great benefits, stimulating subject matter and co-workers, students, professors and campus vistors.
Cons
Politcs 101, low level of training especially in mangement roles, heavy administrative layer, hierarchical, hard to get promoted due to unfair nature of political environment at times.
Great research institution
Research Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 26, 2017
I was involved in research at the department of gastroenterology.
The research was to find the connections between autism and the microbiome. The University of Miami is a stron institution for research.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
too much paperwork
nice work enviroment
Research Associate 2 (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 26, 2017
Was a nice blend of cultures and that help me grow as a human being.Also working with different researches at the same time help me to view the health field as a big conglomerate.
Pros
pay sick days
High volume and demanding.
Service Response Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 19, 2017
I must honestly say that while employed at The University of Miami Hospital, I learned how to be more compassionated. To see first hand the urgency and the need of the patients caused me to be more humble. However, the position was demanding and sometimes stressful, and at the same time exhilarating; with a diverse culture. The hardest part of the job was the division within the departments, and the most enjoyable part of the job, was knowing that I succeeded in making a patients' stay a little more comfortable.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay rate, and lack of healthcare.
Good
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 10, 2017
Good place to learn about international relations as well as the best way to teach international relations as well as run a classroom, handle students, and maintain all logistics for the class as well as grading.
University of Miami
Tissue Bank Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 10, 2017
University of Miami Tissue Bank was a great experience. At the time I was attending school for educational purposes. I learned a lot of skills and knowledge and I am grateful for the opportunity.
Experience and Salary
Senior Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 7, 2017
It was a great experience working with UM. For the position I took on the salary was reasonable base on my experience. We did have dead lines to meet, but what job doesn't. The best part I like was I was able to work self sufficiently. My superiors was not always down my throat on what I was doing. I got the job done and that is what mattered.
Temp Job
Administrative Assistant Temp (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 6, 2017
This was longgggg time ago, and was a temp job only in the Sylvester Building Cancer Center. Covering for another person that it was in the Leave of Absent. Only 3 months.
Assist with telephons
Medical internal medicine secretary (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 2, 2017
Manage as many calls as possible to further assist patients with any issues and concerns they have at the present time. Manage all emails and respond within a timely manner, make sure to have all documents ready for my provider for his/her signature and to be faxed out to their desired destinations.
Pros
speak to patients
Cons
no cons
nice stay at university of miami
Doctor of Philosophy in Organic Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 30, 2017
good atmosphere to do research work, people are cooperative and
people can manage the work with the peaceful mind, Research is the place where we can enjoy the most.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Can be Productive and Fun at times
Manage Care Collector/ Central Business Office (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 25, 2017
Hostile Environment
You have to Pay for Parking
No Pay Raises for Staff (Only for Professionals)
Seasoned Staff are offered very low pay
No pay Raises for Staff (Non Professionals)
Only "Professionals" are offered a decent living salary and perks
Pros
Being apart of the UM Brand
Cons
Staff (Non Professionals) with experience offered very low salary
Good to work in a higher education sector
Web Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 24, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the work was to find solutions to faculty member's requirements. The culture was usually peaceful and respectful. The hardest part was to follow up people
Excellent place to work
Database Developer (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 22, 2017
Nice work environment, The cowokers are friendly and eager to work with you. They welcome you on your first day on the job. Make you feel part of the family. You are free to ask questions without having to feel ashame or bashful. You are giving proper initial training
Pros
Relax environment
Cons
Temp job
great job
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 17, 2017
working with others helping them find the right building. I work at night so we closed everything up and make sure the building is secured.This job id great I love helping people.
Great pay. Great benefits. Physician driven environment, lack of nursing advocacy
RN (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 16, 2017
Potential to be a great place to work. You'll do fine if you show up and do what you're told with no question. When you start to question things you know are not right, you place a target on your back. Definitely a "this is how we've always done it" environment. Most employees have been with the company forever and do not appreciate correction. Language barriers in certain department make it a challenge to communicate important aspects of patient care. A very top heavy company in which those at the top are not in sync with the true operations of those they make decisions for. Company has done a great job in branding but once you're in and if you have any type of experience in an environment where nurses count you'll quickly see you're no longer there. Nurses have no voice. Nurse administrators do not speak up for what is right concerning nursing roles (ie.nurses placing orders for physicians that are clearly visible but just won't do it) as they are trying to keep their job. If you have a question about a policy/protocol, good luck trying to find one that has been properly reviewed and updated. If you're ready to be quiet in your nursing role or just do what you're told in effort to advance your career this is the place for you. If you want a place to take care of patients and go home, this is the place for you. If you're one that is highly motivated, driven by efforts to improve processes, an advocate for nursing you'll be okay for a short period and then find yourself exhausted when you learn your efforts aren't supported. No job is perfect, just depends what you're willing  more... to put up with.  less
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Physician driven. Nurses have no voice.
Medical Collector, Physician Billing (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 14, 2017
Relaxed and easy job, but not many opportunity for advancement. You come in and you are supposed to work fifty invoices a day as a collector. Which seems like a lot but its manageable.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Short lunches
Its ok
Data entry (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 1, 2017
The work is important but everything else is a typical job. Staff is friendly and helpful but management is sneaky and only promote and hire friends and family. No real chance for advancement if you not a friend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Miami. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

Personal Development

Career Opportunities
2.6

Family Support
2.9

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight