University of Miami Employee Reviews

great professional place to work
Senior Administrative Assistant to Directors (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 7, 2015
An excellent place to work with little promotion and not enough pay for the work. Short staffed in most departments. Management needs to appreciate lower staff that make them succeed.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
long hours and low pay
Student Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 26, 2015
I loved working for Housing and Residential Life at the University of Miami. It had a great atmosphere and the culture was phenomenal. I typically was located at my cubicle or around campus getting to know students and other student staff. The management was fantastic and was always willing to help me learn or progress in my work. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new students and people every day. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with the heat of south Florida sometimes when moving heavy equipment around the campus.
Good place to work, but a lot of favoritism unfear treatment a lot of gossip
Senior Inpatient Coder (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 14, 2014
work there a few years, bad management a lot of favoritism, people without any certification making the same amount of money of the one with a college degree, a lot of gossip allow by management supervisors very bad experience at the end, I'll never would go back and work in a place like that, you give complain to HR they never pay attention to you, got into the hospital for the unfear treatment and the gossip.

Not enjoyable at all, never new what was coming next, left with high blood pressure because of the problems and the gossip
Pros
good benefits
Cons
favoritism and gossipp kills the place
Fun place to work
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLNovember 13, 2013
I was responsible for the sales and contracts of the Convention Center. Dealing with clients in booking their event space, coordinating Audio Visual equipment, floor plans, event logistics, accounts payable and receivables.
Learned to be more career minded, sales skills and grow within the event industry.
Managed a group of 5-10 wonderful staff members, at a 38000 sq. ft. conference center with a $850,000.00 budget in room rental along.
The hardest part was going to school and working at the same time due to the event schedules.
The most enjoyable time is at the end of the event for the client to say THANK YOU, job well done.
Pros
Free tuition, healthcare benefits, environment.
Cons
cool place to work great benefits
Sr Insurance Verfier (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 17, 2015
management sucks but great company for advancement and long term opportunities. no bonuses but lots of perks for employees
Working for the University gave me experience and a taught me to have a positive attitude to achieve excellence.
Assistant to the Senior Director of Advancement (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 29, 2015
There’s no such thing as a typical day for an Administrative Assistant “Everyday is different.” That is the beauty of the job. In other words, tomorrow won’t be a predictable repeat of today at work I’m always ready to tackle the unexpected assignment as well as the routine tasks and ongoing projects. One day, I could be spending half the day arranging meetings and the other half producing a PowerPoint presentation for my boss. The next day I could be working with arranging for an event or an informal reception for college, starting from the budget to the setup of a template for my processes requesting possible locations, catering, find staff volunteers, event promotion, create list of invitees and so forth. I also do a lot of run financial reports, return phone calls, schedule meetings, keep calendars, type correspondence, order office supplies, filing, train staff on financial software program; Excel; Word; PowerPoint; Publisher; Outlook as well as schedule travel and various projects that arise on a daily basis.
Pros
Collaborating with various people, great experience as well as benefits such as healthcare, retirement, tuition.
Cons
Excessive turnover at the supervision level.
Good Place to Work
Manager, Professional Development (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 6, 2015
It would greatly benefit the University if the senior leadership took an honest look and review at the recruitment practices to ensure that they are hiring the right talent, not just the top talent to increase the level of trust within the organization. This would help to decrease the turn-over rate.
Pros
Good benefits, various locations to work, great research and teaching institution
Cons
Very little work-life balance, depending on the department, need to develop standards of accountability for all employees not just a select few
Corporate, money driven
Supervisor of Medical Collections (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 8, 2015
Great company to work for but, hard to grow as its based on who you know, not what you know. Revolving door, seeking for more stability.
Pros
Personal Time and benefits
Cons
Unprofessional, unqualified people in management grandfathered in
Productive and Fun Workplace that sought out and Achieved all set Goals
Mini Canes Staff (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJuly 13, 2016
Created a Schedule for Everyone, then proceeded to accomplish those tasks as the day progressed by managing resources for all staff.
Good workplace to begin or end a career
IT (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLApril 23, 2012
My experience involved a lot of technical freedom that allowed me to implement projects that would benefit end-users but that is not the case in most departments. Compensation is a problem when compared to most industry-standards in the IT field. Lots of checks in place to limit salary increases even in the most deserving of circumstances. Picked up all my technical skills but it does drag behind current technology practices usually as a result of budgetary constraints.
Pros
time management, work/life management
Cons
compensation, dragging behind in technology
Fun place to work but work life balance is horrible
Office Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 22, 2015
UM is a great place to work but in my department there are very young managers that are up and coming and with them trying to find themselves and establish their management style it ends in a huge amount of drama and unnecessary stress.

There is no work life balance. Period.
Pros
Interacting with the student workers
Cons
No work life balance
the culture is all about the University
Senior Staff Associate, Events Management (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJanuary 14, 2015
Everyone within the university whether students, employees, or donors love the university. The pay is competitive however benefits in terms of health care compensation are a bit lacking. However, education compensation is exceptional, one can attend the university as an employee at no cost, provided that they cover only the taxes incurred for the course and they are admitted into the program.
Pros
university culture, tuition reimbursement, free tickets to sporting events
Cons
health care
Data collection through telephone interviews, workshops, seminars etc
Sr. Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 5, 2015
Collected both quantitative and qualitative data from Miami Dade County School Districts high schools for the Smaller Learning Communities Program (SLC) which were specialized, and more realistic and applicable to students who otherwise found the general curriculum non-applicable to real life.

Attrition rates in Miami county high schools were getting higher as were student dropouts, therefore SLCs provided smaller more initimate courses such as culinary, CSI, Engineering, mechanics, etc, for students who were interested.

This also gave students who did not want to go to college an avenue to pursue technical careers after high school.
Pros
Student engagement and attention to learning skills.
Cons
Grant funded, budget cuts made program durability unstable
Productive and diverse place to work.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLFebruary 12, 2015
Productive and diverse place to work. Very stable and place for advancement is there. Great pay and better benefits. Its a good place to work and you will be heard by management and your ideas will be taken into consideration.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
None.
Fun and rewarding place to start your career!
Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 19, 2013
It was a very busy and productive work place, which I loved. The management was wonderful. I miss working here so much! We were like on big happy family. I worked there for a little over two years, but sometimes life happens and things don't go your way. I have learned to not sweat the small things and look at the bigger picture. I could have been in a great place with UM, but I was young and not as mature as I am today. I send my love!
Pros
Great benefits, PTO, holiday celebrations, special events, etc.
Very family friendly environment
E-commerce Procurement Implementation Trainer (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLOctober 28, 2012
It is very family friendly environment, the management team becomes almost like family. KPI's and metrics are very loose, therefore it is not very challenging but it is rewarding in other ways.
Pros
family work/life balance
Cons
working at um is a job not a career.
Lecturer, Department of Art & Art History (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLApril 22, 2016
Highly recognized as a strong private university with students coming from many privileged education backgrounds. Excellent students/well endowed campus in a beautiful setting with much going on culturally in surrounding area.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
some humanities departments are less endowed than STEM disciplines
Stay Away
HR Professional (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 28, 2015
High turnover, lack of internal promotions, poor leadership skills and communication. Managers are very unprofessional and many unethical practices. Lots of University politics, poor pay practices, low morale and no business processes or training in place.
Pros
company match for retirement
Cons
Low pay, Poor leadership and lack of internal promotions to leadership
Great
AIA, Summer Camp Mentor (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLMay 23, 2016
amazing people and networks.
Very flexible, smart, communicate effectively.
Ability to teach and promote values and work ethic.
Abundance of opportunity for expansion and self growth.
It's all about the U ...
Technology (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 18, 2015
Great place to work, very diverse environment, big organization with lots of opportunity. Extreme exposure in whatever topic of your choosing, you'll be a subject matter expert in no time. State of the art technology deployed most of the time and usually in very large-scale deployments.
Pros
Opportunities, benefits, pay, experience
Cons
Culture needs a little work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Miami. Our community is ready to answer.