University of Michigan Health System Employee Reviews

Will ride a good horse into ground
Patient Care Tech. (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 18, 2016
In general most managers care nothing of their employees. The pettiness and school like cliques fosters a us versus them atmosphere. Particularly when involving the manager.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of respect, money before employees.
Greatttt
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 18, 2016
working for u of m is a wonderful experience, there are so many smart, decorated academics there that its impossible not to better yourself
Student, patients, and football a priority
Clinical Subjects Associate (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 9, 2016
Typical hospital research environment. Management is behind employees. Patients are also a priority. Parking for everyone is also a nightmare.
Pros
Large facility
Cons
Large facility
Wonderful University. Career Advancement Opportunities
Administrative Manager Healthcare - Clinic Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 20, 2015
Please see resume for details which will outline my duties. This job involved much personnel involvement/HR duties, in addition to managing the clinic. I supervised administrative assistants, medical assistants, patient services assistants and associates, in addition to coordinating and organizing many projects.
Excellent Benefits
Call Center Representative Intermediate (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 17, 2015
Great benefits and people to work with. Parking is very scarce and expensive. Even if you purchase a parking pass, you are not promised a spot. Medium level parking starts at $70 which is taken out of your paycheck.

The University wants you to learn more and more information, which I think is awesome. I learn something new almost every day.

Benefits are excellent and at a low price.

401k plan is unlike any other. Matching is 2 for 1.
Benefits
Cons
Parking is expensive
They love their staff
nuclear medicine technologist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 17, 2015
You can tell the University of Michigan loves their staff...just look at how patients and their families are taken care of!
Everyone is always smiling and kind to one another.
Great place to work for
Senior Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 1, 2015
Managers were always very supportive, friendly co-workers, great training, great benefits, frequent gatherings, flexible hours. Too many accounts to handle and shortage of staff.
Pros
Benefits, work environment, friendly people
Cons
Short breaks, low salaries if compared to other companies
As Administrative Assistant Senior/Unit Coordinator
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 19, 2015
I worked with the public and staff usually as the first point of contact for patients and families in the Inpatient setting. A typical day was scheduling appointments, ordering tests and procedures. I processed transfers, admissions, and discharges. Ordering supplies, explaining to patients and families their rights and Advance Directives, gathering insurance information, and processing doctors orders. I enjoyed my work, and helping others.

I was offered a promotion soon after I completed my associate degree in Healthcare and Management in 2012. I worked as an Administrative Assistant on an inpatient unit as well as in the medical office setting. My responsiblities included processing payroll for 36 employees, processed employee transfers, and terminations, maintained up to date licensure verification on registered nurses. I reconciled expenses related to certification and seminars attended by staff, I also processed vacation time, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and processed quarterly bonuses for the nurses. I maintained a detailed weekly data base report for the Director of Nursing which included the above mentioned responsibilities that were tracked on an excel spread sheet. I enjoyed staying busy and working towards accomplishing my daily goals!
Pros
I worked independently. I set my own schedule. The compensation was good.
Cons
Very busy work days. Usually did not take breaks.
University of Michigan Health System
Patient Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 16, 2015
This place sucks. Honestly I get paid as much as I did in college and I HAVE A DEGREE NOW. I come to work dreading working here.
Pros
no pros
Cons
horrible management, have no idea what they are doing
not a good place to work
EEG Tech (Former Employee) –  Main CampusOctober 25, 2015
The EEG department is not a good place to work. Perhaps other departments are, my only experience was with neurodiagnostics.

The Management is openly using fear-mongering, favoritism, double standards and just plain mean spirited behavior to run the department.

The Management has been caught in completely dishonest statements, verbal and emotional abuse, and never supports technical staff in any way, even when documentation supports techs.
Great Learning
Patient Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborOctober 22, 2015
I learned many skills fro this job and loved the hospital setting. It was some times fast paced and I like to multi task. I love not coming in to work and doing the same thing every day.
In short -
Inpatient Unit Clerk - Clinical Service Resources (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 4, 2015
Admit, transfer and discharge patients on one or more inpatient units. Receive and assist patients, visitors and staff providing excellent customer service. Answer patient calls in a professional manner. Process physician's orders and referrals. Respond to emergent situations in a calm, correct, and professional manner. Record and coordinate patient appointments and tests. Procure supplies, equipment and services for patients. Maintain census information. Assist in the training of new unit clerks, and orient staff to new policies and procedures.
Productive Work Environment
Clinical Subjects Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 25, 2015
I enjoy working for University of Michigan Health System. I work with a team of supportive colleagues, and my manager is a great leader. There is continual focus on process improvement. I could not ask for a better work environment.
Pros
Excellent 401k and generous time off package
Cons
short lunch
Very relaxed and diverse working environment
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 21, 2015
A typical day at University of Michigan was relaxing and always a joyous experience. I learned a lot about patient and family care. Management was attentive, helpful and supportive. The hardest part of the job was working alongside a co-worker that wouldn't share the work load. The most enjoyable part of the job was the warm and inviting atmosphere that U of M possesses.
Intern
Internship (Current Employee) –  Ann ArborSeptember 18, 2015
The department is working a new acquisition system for X-ray imaging detection for breast cancer. It is intern position. Involved in FPGA projects.
work
Patient Clerk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 10, 2015
Check in/out patient
schedule patient appointments
It is a great palce to work and they are good benifits.
Co workers all work together as a team.
Nurse Aide II (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 14, 2015
The Unit I worked on was very biased. I never felt part of the team there. I loved my job & being able to work for one of the best hospitals in the nation, but it broke my heart to be treated so poorly. I hope to be able join the team again with a better management experience. I feel I am a valuable employee and I can provide wonderful care to the patients and their families.
Stressful but rewarding
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 4, 2015
The hardest part of my job is to work short staffed. The most enjoyable part is helping a patient heal. I have learned a lot as a PCT.
Fast pace environment, days went by quickly, production was incredible.
Out Patient Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 4, 2015
Awesome place for advancement. I loved the patients. I had a terrible boss or I would still be there. I loved my coworkers. Team work at its best. They went above and beyond to make sure you had all the supplies you needed to get the job done. I would recommend anyone to work there. I wish I would have gone back to Ann Arbor when I had the chance. I just got caught in the politics and was played like a pawn. I went back to school and became a medical biller and am moving on.
Pros
The benefits for sure.
Cons
The politics / and The supervisor that took over for my previous one.
Large, dynamic institution with opportunities to learn and develop professional skills
Radiation Therapist (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 4, 2015
Overall the University is a good place to work and learn to be a well-rounded healthcare professional. The benefits are very good and partial tuition reimbursement is sometimes available. If living and working in the Ann Arbor area appeal to you, this would be a great place to start and end a career.
Pros
Great benefits, retirement match

4.3