University of Michigan Health System Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIJuly 2, 2016
A typical day at work according to me is be positive in what work you do and that makes you happy. I have learned that do something which makes you happy and let others think that you are a perfect co-worker for them. If you think that a part of your job is hard, you won't be able to succeed so, I never thought of what is hard and on the other hand, the most enjoyable part of the job was to speak to the patients and get to know them more.
Best Place To Work EVER!!!
Patient Care Technician Associate (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 29, 2016
This was the most wonderful job I have ever held in my entire life! I worked in the Multispecialty Pediatric Clinic for 8 years and was sad to leave. The patients were the highlight of my day, the parents were wonderful to visit with, the staff was friendly, the management was phenomenal, there were always opportunities to learn and experience personal growth, and once the physicians became familiar with you, they were so friendly and cheerful.
Days were normally extremely busy, which always made the day go by relatively quickly, and there was always something to do.
If I were to ever move back to Michigan, the first thing I would do is try to get my job back at this clinic.
Pros
Wonderful work atmosphere
Medical Assistant Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 28, 2016
Great place to work if you find the right department with the right people. Always most of the time need to know someone in order to get an interview.
Supportive workplace
Clinical Social Work Post Graduate Fellow (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 7, 2016
UMHS is absolutely a great place to work. Management is supportive and learning is a top priority. Work culture is supportive.
Passionate and family oriented workplace
Orthopedic Cast Technician (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 3, 2016
As an orthopedic cast technician, I learned new skills on the job on a daily basis. I applied my skills to patients with certain fractures and surgical sites. The University of Michigan has amazing benefits and a great staff overall.
Easy and fun place to work at
Clinical Student (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 4, 2016
The staff are treated as family and everyone works together for better patient care. Every pod has a standardized setup and instruments are hand cleaned during the cases and are later sprayed with decontamination solution before they are sent to CSPD. The doctor's and staff as a whole are very nice and love an efficient, punctual and hardworking individual.
Pros
paid vacation, two breaks and a lunch
Cons
could be an overwhelming experience for a first year surgical technologist student
amazing place to work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 25, 2016
i have honestly never worked for a company like this one. my actual location is amazing. all of my co workers are great. we get each other through everything as a team. the nurses, doctors, MA's, clerks we all help each other out. We also feed each other everyday. i gained 60 pounds working here. now it can be stressful at times when the MA staff is short. but other then that, i am honestly sad to leave. im going to miss this place the workers the patients and especially the food haha
Pros
amazing people, major food, great benifits
Challenging and Rewarding
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 21, 2016
Daily work can be challenging but very rewarding.

Learn new skills and research based practices.

Management is fair.

Co-workers are very dependable.
Benefits
Cons
Parking
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 26, 2016
There is a culture here of strict adherence to policy and procedure. The unit is clean and free from clutter, wages are competitive
Pros
Competitive wages and benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
Will ride a good horse into ground
Patient Care Tech. (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 18, 2016
In general most managers care nothing of their employees. The pettiness and school like cliques fosters a us versus them atmosphere. Particularly when involving the manager.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of respect, money before employees.
Greatttt
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 18, 2016
working for u of m is a wonderful experience, there are so many smart, decorated academics there that its impossible not to better yourself
Student, patients, and football a priority
Clinical Subjects Associate (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 9, 2016
Typical hospital research environment. Management is behind employees. Patients are also a priority. Parking for everyone is also a nightmare.
Pros
Large facility
Cons
Large facility
Wonderful University. Career Advancement Opportunities
Administrative Manager Healthcare - Clinic Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 20, 2015
Please see resume for details which will outline my duties. This job involved much personnel involvement/HR duties, in addition to managing the clinic. I supervised administrative assistants, medical assistants, patient services assistants and associates, in addition to coordinating and organizing many projects.
Excellent Benefits
Call Center Representative Intermediate (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 17, 2015
Great benefits and people to work with. Parking is very scarce and expensive. Even if you purchase a parking pass, you are not promised a spot. Medium level parking starts at $70 which is taken out of your paycheck.

The University wants you to learn more and more information, which I think is awesome. I learn something new almost every day.

Benefits are excellent and at a low price.

401k plan is unlike any other. Matching is 2 for 1.
Benefits
Cons
Parking is expensive
They love their staff
nuclear medicine technologist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 17, 2015
You can tell the University of Michigan loves their staff...just look at how patients and their families are taken care of!
Everyone is always smiling and kind to one another.
Great place to work for
Senior Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 1, 2015
Managers were always very supportive, friendly co-workers, great training, great benefits, frequent gatherings, flexible hours. Too many accounts to handle and shortage of staff.
Pros
Benefits, work environment, friendly people
Cons
Short breaks, low salaries if compared to other companies
As Administrative Assistant Senior/Unit Coordinator
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 19, 2015
I worked with the public and staff usually as the first point of contact for patients and families in the Inpatient setting. A typical day was scheduling appointments, ordering tests and procedures. I processed transfers, admissions, and discharges. Ordering supplies, explaining to patients and families their rights and Advance Directives, gathering insurance information, and processing doctors orders. I enjoyed my work, and helping others.

I was offered a promotion soon after I completed my associate degree in Healthcare and Management in 2012. I worked as an Administrative Assistant on an inpatient unit as well as in the medical office setting. My responsiblities included processing payroll for 36 employees, processed employee transfers, and terminations, maintained up to date licensure verification on registered nurses. I reconciled expenses related to certification and seminars attended by staff, I also processed vacation time, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and processed quarterly bonuses for the nurses. I maintained a detailed weekly data base report for the Director of Nursing which included the above mentioned responsibilities that were tracked on an excel spread sheet. I enjoyed staying busy and working towards accomplishing my daily goals!
Pros
I worked independently. I set my own schedule. The compensation was good.
Cons
Very busy work days. Usually did not take breaks.
University of Michigan Health System
Patient Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 16, 2015
This place sucks. Honestly I get paid as much as I did in college and I HAVE A DEGREE NOW. I come to work dreading working here.
Pros
no pros
Cons
horrible management, have no idea what they are doing
not a good place to work
EEG Tech (Former Employee) –  Main CampusOctober 25, 2015
The EEG department is not a good place to work. Perhaps other departments are, my only experience was with neurodiagnostics.

The Management is openly using fear-mongering, favoritism, double standards and just plain mean spirited behavior to run the department.

The Management has been caught in completely dishonest statements, verbal and emotional abuse, and never supports technical staff in any way, even when documentation supports techs.
Great Learning
Patient Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborOctober 22, 2015
I learned many skills fro this job and loved the hospital setting. It was some times fast paced and I like to multi task. I love not coming in to work and doing the same thing every day.

4.3