University of Minnesota Physicians Employee Reviews

It's a OK job...but
Clinic Service Coordinator and AIDET Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 21, 2016
Its a OK job but there are little to no job opportunities to be promoted to. The yearly raise does not even close to the raise in the cost of living. The facilities are often understaffed and workers are stressed.
Pros
Convient Location, Stepping Stone to Working At a Better Company
Cons
Benefits, Management, Co-Workers, Felling that You Are Nobody
Overall good employer
Clinic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 3, 2017
Good benefits, work life balance, and management. When there are areas for improvement UMP takes this seriously. Overall a good employer - would recommend!
Horrible management, no room for advancement
Patient Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 11, 2016
I would absolutely never recommend working here. Getting anything accomplished by human resources is impossible and dragged out. Minimal room for advancement. In the office where I was working, the management presence was non-existent. It was nearly impossible to get anything accomplished. Disorganized!! Oh my gosh, it was a circus every time we had to hire a new person, which was ALL THE TIME because of the high rate of turn over. Yikes! I am embarrassed for UMP. The benefits are OK, but they offer pennies in education reimbursement or assistance. We were also often required to work through our breaks due to staffing issues.
won't recommend it to anyone
Health Unit Coordinator, (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 7, 2016
horrible place to work, specially the pediatric dental clinic, the staff are very racist and not professional. always make you work thr your breaks.benefits are OK, you pay for parking,
Cons
short breaks
Good job
Medicare Coding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 19, 2016
Good people to work for, great benefits, learned alot at this company, and the company culture is like a family environment culture.
Great Supervisor, job clearly defined, felt like a team member at the clinic I worked for.
Heath Records Technician (Former Employee) –  MPLS, MNOctober 27, 2016
Typical work day was locating medical records for clinic, scanning, indexing and purging paper records.

I learned to trust myself and my work. Everyday I worked at the best level I could and reached the goals set for me.

My supervisor was great. She answered my questions and worked on a positive basis with me for the entire time of employment.
Upper management wasn't as effective for me, personally.

Hardest part of the job was responding to clinic needs and correcting the mistakes of people who did this job before I did.
Pros
Nice clinic, customers, and co-workers.
Cons
No possiblity for advancement.
Unorganized, uncaring and not based in reality
Health Information Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 10, 2016
Working with health information, patient scheduling and information. Co-workers were very good, but management was not. Management was not able to keep office or operations up and running and was unable to keep them supplied or organized properly. This combination made success impossible regardless of effort.
Pros
Fair pay, good benefits and paid time off
Cons
Lack of management preparation and control
Difficult department to work in
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 3, 2016
It was difficult working on the recruitment team. The manager is obviously a new manager with not much experience in the workforce. Creates a difficult culture and micro-manages. Doesn't do much for the teams success. It was hard to have to keep all e-mails to "prove" you had done everything correctly and followed up.

VP of HR was great. Other members of HR were great.

Management of UMP in general was great, working with great directors and managers. I enjoyed my job solely because of getting to work with great leaders.
Pros
Great leadership
Cons
micromanager, not very experienced
great place to work and good management
Refunds Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Center, MNNovember 18, 2016
UMP is a great place to work if you don't want a flexible schedule
there is a lot of micromanagement and the managers seem to have too many people under them with different jobs to give much feedback.
Pros
co workers
Cons
not flexible schedules
CMA (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 31, 2016
Lots of variety
Room for advancement
Management works with you
The hardest part is my commute
My fellow employees are great
Pros
Working downtown
Cons
Commute
Intake Representative (Call Center) (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 16, 2015
Schedule all appointments and/or procedures I’m responsible for, and other assigned duties. I’ve learned to get management as well as other coworkers involved to kind of push the nursing staff a little to help my patient get overdue medication refills. The hardest part of my job is when patient’s need are not being meet. The best part is when everything fall into place.
Pros
benefits such as tuition reimbursement the company offers to employees
Cons
not a lot of room for growth in the current position
Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Center, MNDecember 16, 2016
The University of Minnesota Physicians took me as an uncertified coder and trained me. No other company would take a person without experience. So they give you a chance.
Pros
Training
Cons
Not top pay out there
Not a place to get ahead
Still there (dont want to report yet) (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 4, 2013
The management and the leadership are the worst I have ever worked for. The turnover rate there is unlike any other medical facility in the metro, and they simply don't care. Poor work environment. Many problems with management/HR and no room to grow. Physicians are excellent, management has the "my way or the highway" attitude. Healthcare benefits are sub-par. Policy driven, poorly led corporate culture.
Pros
most of the physicians are great to work with, you can learn many things from these brilliant minds.
Cons
micromanaged, dictorial management; managers are controlling, you have to be in a clique to be successful
Terrible Place to work!!!!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 19, 2012
I worked for UMP for 6 years and although I loved the people I worked with, the patients and the MD's, the management and the leadership were the worst I have ever worked for. There are too many hands in the pot at UMP, from Fairview, the University to UMP. The pay that they offer is nowhere near competition in the metro, the benefits are terrible, and the HR department does not represent the employees. The turnover rate there is unlike any other medical facility in the metro, and they simply don't care.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
terrible treatment from medical directors, ceo's, hr, managers, you name it....
This company is a good company to work for.
Registered Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 15, 2012
Fairview University Medical Center is where I worked when I 1st got my CNA. I worked on the Cardiac Unit. I enjoyed the hours and Benefits that they had. The unit I worked on was a very busy floor and there wasn't a lot of time to sit around and talk to people. The floor kept you on your feet. I liked that. Sometimes the people that I took care of were on the florr for several weeks becuase they were waiting for a heart and sometimes they wouldn't make it. That was hard because I seemed to get attached to them. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of sick people. I realize now that that is what I'm supposed to do with my life.
Fairview
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2016
Fairview is an awesome place to work, especially as a college student. You gain a lot of experience and meet some really cool people who take you under their wing.
Don't do it!
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  MinneapolisJune 5, 2012
Excellent place for healthcare, poor work environment. Many problems with management/HR and no room to grow. Physicians are excellent, management has the "my way or the highway" attitude. Healthcare benefits are sub-par. The only positive is that they have high standards for excellent patient care.
Pros
excellent physicians group, you can learn many things from these brilliant minds!
Cons
poorly run company, poor healthcare benefits
Working at the U of M Physicians
Mrdical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 1, 2016
Working here was great. Management was accommodating and very friendly. The training I received was not as thorough as I thought it would be. The new building was beautifully built and my co-workers were friendly
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Training was not superb
Knowledgable and comfortable place to grow
Medical Coding Associate- Transplant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 2, 2012
I loved meeting all the people that made my transition comfortable. The University of Minnesota Physicians has open communication, open door policies and very liberal benefits.
I found that my teammates were very helpful and easy to get along with which made business a lot mre comfortable.
Pros
great benefit package
Cons
moving to new location - making it difficult to get to work
Free Items
Radiology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 9, 2014
Typical work day was busy, I learned how to make the patients happy in a tough situation, Management was very helpful and always listened, my co workers always came to work, the hardest part was when we got a pay cut, the most enjoyable part was when I was able to get a raise.
Pros
Raise
Cons
Pay Cut

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota Physicians. Our community is ready to answer.

64%