University of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Worked with Nurse Manager & Nsg Dept Administrator
Administrative Assistant for Administrator & DON (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 17, 2017
I worked for the Transitional Services Department. I reported to both of the above people, which was difficult because they weren't always on the same page. My main task was to do the bi-monthly payroll for the nursing department which was really more appropriate for a nurse to do since s/he knew the union rules better than I did. Eventually there was all new management and everyone I worked with (including myself) left.
Friendly workplace with fellow student workers
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 9, 2017
A typical day at work involves greeting my superiors in the morning, and then either working alone or with another student worker in keeping the dorms clean.
One of the things I learned was how to constructively use feedback to do better work, such as focusing on specific areas to make maintenance easier in the future.
The management and my coworkers were very friendly and open to comments or concerns about work.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the flexible hours.
Pros
Friendly environment
Independent work environment as long as deadlines are met
Paper Grader/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 28, 2016
Workplace is dependent on your position. As a teaching assistant, a lot of the work is independent, yet deadlines need to be met and you need to put your best effort in fairness when grading. The instructors I worked for were understanding to an extent when I needed extra time to grade, though the grading needed to be completed usually within 4-5 days of getting the homework assignments.
Very large research animal case loads
Animal Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 14, 2017
Large research case loads daily,extremely fast paced and stressful work environment. Employee injuries are very high in this area. Low employee attendance is frequently seen,so the co-workers have to cover the others shift and one's case load is sadly doubled for that day.
Needed food supplies for daily husbandry is lacking daily,so one can not complete husbandry needs for their research animals that are needed for the day.
The best part working that job is the continued education one can participate in while working at the University of Minnesota if they choose too.
Pros
Ability to continue ones education
Cons
High parking cost and high union fees and daily heavy work schedules
Great work experience
Secretary of Thai Student Association (Former Employee) –  University of MinnesotaDecember 27, 2016
Throughout my college years, working with UofM made my college life complete. I learn to be appreciated of the differences. The obvious outcomes for me are responsibility and accountability along with be both independence and interdependence. Goal orientation and self awareness are also crucial. The hardest part of my jobs are being patient but mostly my workplace environment is enjoyable.
Great university and great faculties.
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of Mechanical EngineeringDecember 14, 2016
I have got both Master and PhD from the Mechanical Engineering Department of University of Minnesota. This is a great university, and great department. We have had great faculties who are talented in both their respect fields, and teaching. I highly recommend future high school graduates and college graduates to consider this school and department.
Business Casual enviroment, lots of overhead
Online Student Personnel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Crookston, MNOctober 6, 2016
A portion of the day is spent answering emails and putting out fires. Major responsibility comes from managing communication flows in sales-force, generating reports, and maintaining programs such as ApplyYourself, ImageNow and Perceptive Content.
Pros
Great health benefits and retirement programs
Cons
No professional development or career development options. No advancement options
Vast resources for all aspects of life, science, work, and advancement.
Ecological Designer/Teaching Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 5, 2017
Anything you need to know for filling in the gaps of knowledge and advise can be found from the hundreds of experts on campus. All resources needed for research and development are available.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Always parking challenges
The most rewarding experience!
Leadership Intern (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 28, 2016
There's truly nothing better than being a part of a success story. There's nothing better than being able to help change or alter someone's life. This position I felt was almost like giving back. I wanted other students to have a very similar effect with this program that I had. It was a beautiful thing.
Great Place to work
Part-time Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 20, 2016
The university of Minnesota is a great place to work when it comes to student part-time work. They understand that students have a busy life, and that they have many things to do all the time. They are easy going when it comes to mid-terms and other things that subtends have. Management is well organized.

Want to know more about University of Minnesota?

Ask a question
Productive and fun work place.
Program Assitant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 26, 2016
I really enjoyed working for the University of Minnesota everyone was full of cheer. The managers were very respectful to employees and would help employees if they needed to. Everyone works as a team to get daily task done on the job. Great place to work.
Student centered jobs
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNNovember 21, 2016
Student jobs are very accommodating and the employers I've had have really cared about my well-being, in general and school-wise. The supervisors I've had have cared about the university a lot, and I've learned a lot of great customer service techniques.
Great training and learning environment
Principal Office and Admin Spec (1826) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 26, 2016
Each work day provided new opportunities to learn new things and to trouble shoot various needs as they came up. I was able to learn and train to use various applications as well as apply those skills to my job requirements. I had amazing co-workers and great students and faculty to assist over the years with the Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies. The hardest part of my job was finding a quiet place and time to focus on detailed tasks during the busy times. However, I was able to to always manage to get my required tasks finished along with many other things as they came along. The best part of my job was assisting all the current and incoming graduate students over the years as they completed their studies.
Pros
Training and education opportunities
Cons
Advancement opportunities with each department as staff
Best place to work and do homework
Security Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 3, 2016
If you're a night owl or someone that likes to explore, this is the perfect place for you. Not only do you get a great amount of homework down during a desk shift, but you'll learn so much more about the history of the campus.
Very caring Place to work.
Patient Service Coordinator (NICU) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 11, 2016
It was very interesting and i learn so much about life with a nicu babies eveyone help the culture and the so much giving and supprt to the patients family was awsome,
Pros
Free education
Cons
not enough hours.
Well-established workplace with effective management
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 26, 2016
Housing and Residential Life is a great company to work for at the U of MN. There are always tasks to get done, and management does a good job assigning employees to tasks every day.
Life as a graduate student. Lots of mud and memories.
Grad Student of Entomology (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 29, 2016
I had a fun time working there, the people were so so very nice and friendly. I was accepted into the group almost immediately. The hours are very long,and since its a salary job, it doesn't matter if you work 40 hours or 95 hours a week.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
self motivation required
good workday
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 3, 2017
good place to work for with very good benifits good co-workers and equipment good social outings partys and get togethers good lunches good holiday gatherings work day was good
Pros
good equipment
Cons
too many changes
Stable company with advancement opportunities
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 5, 2016
Excellent benefits but the pay is not very desirable unless you are an Executive or Faculty member. Easy to move to different areas of the company. Stable company.
Productive and enjoyable temporary job.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 7, 2016
I worked from home as a temporary research assistant for my mentor's PhD thesis. It was a fun and new experience. My mentor's was helpful and easy to work with.
Benefits
Cons
Temporary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2