University of Minnesota Employee Reviews in United States

Dysfunctional with inequality at management level
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 4, 2016
The experience of working at the University differs depending what unit you apply to. I worked there ten years and the management is overpaid and dysfunctional. There is no room for advancement. Most of the staff are women are they are not treated well. I would not choose to work here if you are trying to advance your career. The best part of the job was that is was close to where I lived and access to the library. The work was not challenging and there is no accountability at the management level.
Pros
Short Commute, Library Access
Cons
Management is Dysfunctional
Not worth it!!!
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 1, 2016
The employees are great but the management shows favoritism and they are horrible at handling job related issues and they are quick to point the finger,not enough help when you need it and they are only concerned about themselves not you. I had to constantly ask for new chef coats for 3 months and never got not one but they stressed about being in clean uniforms lol.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Bad management, unorganized operation, no team work
The U is a wonderful, progressive employer
Cook/Stores Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 14, 2016
I loved working at the U. Unfortunately the food service management company is outsourced through Aramark, and does not necessarily follow the high standards of excellence that the University does in the treatment of their employees.
Pros
Great place to work, awesome benefits, competitive pay
Cons
food service management is outsourced
Old leadership and a lot of red tape
Senior Manager, Marketing and Project Management (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 15, 2016
Very difficult to advance. Job classifications vary drastically. If you are at P&A status your sick and vacation along with retirement are nice. Very slow to get anything done and many people settle for mediocrity.
Pros
Good benefits and tuition discount
Cons
change is hard, bureaucracy, old leadership
Intellectually challenging
GRAD 8102, Practicum for Future faculty Internship (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 3, 2016
My internship involved lecturing to several classes of music students about the Schillinger System of Musical Composition, and how it can be utilized in music medicine and music therapy settings.

The experience validated the importance of the material I presented and increased my confidence in my ability to successfully delivery the data.

Professors were very supportive, as were the students.

The hardest part of the job was finding a parking place.

The most enjoyable part of the experience was receiving positive feedback from the students and professors involved in the classes.
Pleasant Upbeat Job Environment
Building and Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 11, 2016
Spent the majority of the time cleaning bathrooms and interacting with the student population. The job was enjoyable, the work culture was positive and I had no real problems with other people that I came in contact with on a daily basis. I would definitely recommend the University of Minnesota as a secure, fun and rewarding work environment.
Pros
People
Cons
Messy Bathrooms
Doctoral Fellow
Graduate School Fellow (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 9, 2016
I am currently in the process of finishing my doctoral degree in the Dept of Biochemistry. My research focuses on studying lipid breakdown in the liver in models of Fatty Liver Disease (FLD), enhanced triglyceride clearance and overall reduction in progression of the metabolic syndrome.
Pros
Multiple skillset and effective collaboration
Great. Always learning new attributes.
Principal Investigator - UROP (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 26, 2016
It is a great opportunity to work at the institution in which I am studying, nonetheless in the department in which I am pursuing a degree within. Working under brilliant minds provides for new experiences and constantly learning more and more relevant processes relating to my field of study.
A highly respected institution of higher learning
ASSOCIATE ADJUNCT PROFESSOR OF INTERNATIONAL LAW (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 9, 2016
This is a very highly rated University nation wide. It has been a wonderful experience to work there. The courses which I lecture, enable me to meet students from around the world which bolsters the international learning experience.
Pros
Excellent institution
Cons
Non tenure
Great escape from hectic studies
Student Custodian (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Yudof Residential Hall, Minneapolis, MNJanuary 15, 2016
Assignments are not easy but relaxing compared to studies, met new friends from different countries here.
Usual work tasks include vacuuming, trash cleaning.
Cleans rooms and room flip over during semester breaks.
Perform cleaning projects such as carpet cleaning using machinery included carpet extractor and carpet buffer.
Pros
Good co-workers and management
Cons
Can be exhausting during semester breaks
Masonic Cancer Center Mass Spectrometry Facility
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 4, 2016
This facility is equipped with state-of-the-art mass spectrometers. Stuffs are very helpful, knowledgable, fun to work with and take their jobs seriously. This is one of the best carcinogenic DNA adducts/adductomics mass spectrometry research center worldwide.
Great place to work!
IT Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 15, 2016
 Provide timely, courteous and correct IT Desktop Support to Staff, Faculty, and Students of the University by following ITIL standards
 Support all University owned technology devices including PCs, Macs, printers, and mobile devices
 Assist end users with placing orders, imaging computers, configuring and deploying computers and software
 Ensure all Support Incidents and tasks are resolved in a timely and efficient manor while providing excellent customer service.
 Being a mentor to colleagues by providing training, answering questions, and giving suggestions to new technicians in our zone
 Setting up and configuring jacks on the network for various devices such as specialized lab equipment, printers, and computers
 Manage Active Directory by ensuring users and computers are in the correct groups and OU’s to ensure they are receiving the correct group policies
Great atmosphere and flexible work schedules
Student custodian (Current Employee) –  Morris, MNJanuary 2, 2016
The office of residential life for UMM has been a great work experience for me. My employers and fellow employees are very understandable about work schedules for students, single parents, workers with mental health needs, etc. If someone is sick and unable to make it in to work everyone is willing and able to come together and share extra work duty so everyone is able to go home on time. Training and safety is taken very seriously and handled with great care. Everyone is required to attend all trainings that are relevant and applicable to specific equipment and job positions within the university.
Pros
Adequate breaks, friendly atmosphere, employee appreciation events
Relaxed atmosphere with low expectations can be a good or bad thing depending on the person
Communications Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 29, 2016
The University like many higher education institutions is managed from the bottom up. Individual colleges have the power with little control from the top. As a result, it is a competitive rather than a collaborative culture with each college and business unit competing for dollars and recognition. You need to be comfortable with ambiguity and slow processes. In addition, annual contracts for professional employees means you can be released from your contract with 30 days notice on an annual basis if they don't decide to renew.

That said, the relaxed atmosphere leads to low expectations and the benefits are admirable.
Pros
Good medical with low deductible, 75% tuition reimbursement, 22 vacation days, 11 holidays and unlimited sick days
Cons
Poor leadership across the campus, slow to move, annual contracts that must be renewed
hostile workplace, poor administration
ociate Professor (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 30, 2016
This particular University is a hostile work environment, especially for women. Administration doesn't care or doesn't do anything about it, so I am looking to move forward and onward.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Students and Colleagues
Cons
Administration
Lack of direction, free to explore, busy area
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 19, 2016
Near downtown Minneapolis, the campus is spread over a very busy area. Spend tons of time traveling getting to places. Very little direction was given. Free to explore different areas.
Pros
Free to explore and research
Cons
Lack of direction and busy area
Awesome university that promotes new discoveries
Prosthodontics Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 23, 2016
Located in the twin cities, the campus brings you great energy to be in. Motivated by the school motto "driven to discover", everyone works their part to achieve the vision.
Steep Learning Curve, Productive, Supportive team, good balance between work and social life
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Engineer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 13, 2016
A typical day at work involves analyzing simulation results, planning for more simulations, reporting the results through well documented reports and discussing the future work with a research advisor.
My learning curve has been steep since I became a computational fluid dynamics guy within a span of 7 months. An experienced team, computational resources and lots of web resources helped me gain experiencing in transforming a physical problem into a solvable computational fluid dynamics problem. I learnt how to model intricate geometries using design software, how to mesh the fluid domain based on the physics of the problem, identify what turbulence and transport models are to be used, how to assess convergence, how to post process the results and how to automate the process by using journal files and scripts.
The hardest and the most enjoyable parts of the job are the same - the learning curve.
Great
Lead Peer Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 15, 2016
It has been great working on campus. Co-workers are nice; the manager is approachable and helpful.
I've gained so much communication skill and interpersonal skill to work with people and also how to do teamworks.
Great opportunity to learn
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 2, 2016
Outstanding opportunity to learn and grow professionally. Strong supports. Excellent community work. Great short term job.
Pros
Co-workers were outstanding, challenges were fun!
Cons
Job over too fast...

4.2