University of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Ok
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNFebruary 11, 2017
U of Minnesota is a great place to explore science. I worked as a PhD student, and my work is mingled with industry.

I learned both technical and theory.

Management was great.

Workplace culture was awesome.

Hard part was going through the PhD life.

I loved the time I explored through science.
Easygoing Workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 11, 2017
Being a lifeguard at University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is great, the staff is easygoing and friendly, and it's a great environment to work at as a college student.
great work place
Teaching Assistant - General Biology (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNFebruary 10, 2017
The university was a great place to work. I have held various different positions through them and was referred from one job to another based on my experience and reliability.
Great environment with students
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 8, 2017
As a student attending the University of Minnesota it is very convenient to also work at the University. They offer a lot of different positions that are well advertised on the website. It is a good school and working environment. Teaching is a lot of fun, I have two lab sections that meet once a week. I grade the assignments and keep track of each students individual grades in excel.
Fun place to work with a nice college campus vibe.
Lead Technician and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 7, 2017
Time is spent selling computers and technology products, giving advice and troubleshooting/repairing computers. Lively during the school year. SLOW during summer sessions. Great campus vibe. Nice, casual culture.
Pros
Campus vibe. Working with students.
Cons
Difficult to get a promotion. Lots of red tape.
Productive and flexible teaching assistant environment
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 26, 2017
I've had an overall very positive experience working half-time as a Teaching Assistant for the U of M physics department while a graduate student. A helpful one-week training session on teaching philosophy and methodology was provided for incoming graduate students to equip us to begin as lab instructors for introductory level physics courses. Working with student groups in laboratory sessions was both rewarding on a personal level and the job's subject matter relevant to my own studies as a review of fundamental physics concepts. Only downside was the tedium of grading 300 final exams.
Overall a great school with good work culture and environment
Post-Doctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 24, 2017
Good advisor and good colleagues, overall makes a healthy work environment.
Good Compensation benefits for post doctoral associate.
Good vacation holidays scheme.
Academic staff is very helpful and prompt.
Fun place to work at
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 22, 2017
Really great place to work and be yourself. Management is professional and coworkers are amazing. I would highly recommend people to work at the University of Minnesota.
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 20, 2017
as a research and teaching assistant, I found UMD a good place to work. it has decent facilities and good professors to work with. in my field of research university were able to provide all requirements and facilities to progress in work.
Worked with Nurse Manager & Nsg Dept Administrator
Administrative Assistant for Administrator & DON (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 17, 2017
I worked for the Transitional Services Department. I reported to both of the above people, which was difficult because they weren't always on the same page. My main task was to do the bi-monthly payroll for the nursing department which was really more appropriate for a nurse to do since s/he knew the union rules better than I did. Eventually there was all new management and everyone I worked with (including myself) left.
Very large research animal case loads
Animal Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 14, 2017
Large research case loads daily,extremely fast paced and stressful work environment. Employee injuries are very high in this area. Low employee attendance is frequently seen,so the co-workers have to cover the others shift and one's case load is sadly doubled for that day.
Needed food supplies for daily husbandry is lacking daily,so one can not complete husbandry needs for their research animals that are needed for the day.
The best part working that job is the continued education one can participate in while working at the University of Minnesota if they choose too.
Pros
Ability to continue ones education
Cons
High parking cost and high union fees and daily heavy work schedules
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 12, 2017
Except for the corporatization of the university and how that is damaging education that is pandemic to the whole country, it is not a bad place to work.
Friendly workplace with fellow student workers
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 9, 2017
A typical day at work involves greeting my superiors in the morning, and then either working alone or with another student worker in keeping the dorms clean.
One of the things I learned was how to constructively use feedback to do better work, such as focusing on specific areas to make maintenance easier in the future.
The management and my coworkers were very friendly and open to comments or concerns about work.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the flexible hours.
Pros
Friendly environment
Excellent culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day at work starts from smile from colleagues. Very good Job Work/Life Balance. Compensation is OK but life is quite interesting. Inter-person relationship is excellent.
Vast resources for all aspects of life, science, work, and advancement.
Ecological Designer/Teaching Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 5, 2017
Anything you need to know for filling in the gaps of knowledge and advise can be found from the hundreds of experts on campus. All resources needed for research and development are available.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Always parking challenges
good workday
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 3, 2017
good place to work for with very good benifits good co-workers and equipment good social outings partys and get togethers good lunches good holiday gatherings work day was good
Pros
good equipment
Cons
too many changes
Productive and fun place with scientific environment
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 31, 2016
my supervisor was perfect scientist with respectful behavior to the students. all o f his students enjoy working with him with no stress and problem.!
The most rewarding experience!
Leadership Intern (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 28, 2016
There's truly nothing better than being a part of a success story. There's nothing better than being able to help change or alter someone's life. This position I felt was almost like giving back. I wanted other students to have a very similar effect with this program that I had. It was a beautiful thing.
Independent work environment as long as deadlines are met
Paper Grader/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 28, 2016
Workplace is dependent on your position. As a teaching assistant, a lot of the work is independent, yet deadlines need to be met and you need to put your best effort in fairness when grading. The instructors I worked for were understanding to an extent when I needed extra time to grade, though the grading needed to be completed usually within 4-5 days of getting the homework assignments.
Great work experience
Secretary of Thai Student Association (Former Employee) –  University of MinnesotaDecember 27, 2016
Throughout my college years, working with UofM made my college life complete. I learn to be appreciated of the differences. The obvious outcomes for me are responsibility and accountability along with be both independence and interdependence. Goal orientation and self awareness are also crucial. The hardest part of my jobs are being patient but mostly my workplace environment is enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2