University of Minnesota Employee Reviews in United States

Relaxed atmosphere with low expectations can be a good or bad thing depending on the person
Communications Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 29, 2016
The University like many higher education institutions is managed from the bottom up. Individual colleges have the power with little control from the top. As a result, it is a competitive rather than a collaborative culture with each college and business unit competing for dollars and recognition. You need to be comfortable with ambiguity and slow processes. In addition, annual contracts for professional employees means you can be released from your contract with 30 days notice on an annual basis if they don't decide to renew.

That said, the relaxed atmosphere leads to low expectations and the benefits are admirable.
Pros
Good medical with low deductible, 75% tuition reimbursement, 22 vacation days, 11 holidays and unlimited sick days
Cons
Poor leadership across the campus, slow to move, annual contracts that must be renewed
The U is a wonderful, progressive employer
Cook/Stores Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 14, 2016
I loved working at the U. Unfortunately the food service management company is outsourced through Aramark, and does not necessarily follow the high standards of excellence that the University does in the treatment of their employees.
Pros
Great place to work, awesome benefits, competitive pay
Cons
food service management is outsourced
Dysfunctional with inequality at management level
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 4, 2016
The experience of working at the University differs depending what unit you apply to. I worked there ten years and the management is overpaid and dysfunctional. There is no room for advancement. Most of the staff are women are they are not treated well. I would not choose to work here if you are trying to advance your career. The best part of the job was that is was close to where I lived and access to the library. The work was not challenging and there is no accountability at the management level.
Pros
Short Commute, Library Access
Cons
Management is Dysfunctional
Not worth it!!!
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 1, 2016
The employees are great but the management shows favoritism and they are horrible at handling job related issues and they are quick to point the finger,not enough help when you need it and they are only concerned about themselves not you. I had to constantly ask for new chef coats for 3 months and never got not one but they stressed about being in clean uniforms lol.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Bad management, unorganized operation, no team work
Insecure job for P&A emplotees
external relations (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 1, 2015
Excellent work/balance
Different to utilize professional dev services

There are many different types of employment and awareness of the types and benefits associated with each type is important when accepting a position
Pros
work/life balance
Great place to work!
IT Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 15, 2016
 Provide timely, courteous and correct IT Desktop Support to Staff, Faculty, and Students of the University by following ITIL standards
 Support all University owned technology devices including PCs, Macs, printers, and mobile devices
 Assist end users with placing orders, imaging computers, configuring and deploying computers and software
 Ensure all Support Incidents and tasks are resolved in a timely and efficient manor while providing excellent customer service.
 Being a mentor to colleagues by providing training, answering questions, and giving suggestions to new technicians in our zone
 Setting up and configuring jacks on the network for various devices such as specialized lab equipment, printers, and computers
 Manage Active Directory by ensuring users and computers are in the correct groups and OU’s to ensure they are receiving the correct group policies
hostile workplace, poor administration
ociate Professor (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 30, 2016
This particular University is a hostile work environment, especially for women. Administration doesn't care or doesn't do anything about it, so I am looking to move forward and onward.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Students and Colleagues
Cons
Administration
Pleasant Upbeat Job Environment
Building and Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 11, 2016
Spent the majority of the time cleaning bathrooms and interacting with the student population. The job was enjoyable, the work culture was positive and I had no real problems with other people that I came in contact with on a daily basis. I would definitely recommend the University of Minnesota as a secure, fun and rewarding work environment.
Pros
People
Cons
Messy Bathrooms
Steep Learning Curve, Productive, Supportive team, good balance between work and social life
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Engineer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 13, 2016
A typical day at work involves analyzing simulation results, planning for more simulations, reporting the results through well documented reports and discussing the future work with a research advisor.
My learning curve has been steep since I became a computational fluid dynamics guy within a span of 7 months. An experienced team, computational resources and lots of web resources helped me gain experiencing in transforming a physical problem into a solvable computational fluid dynamics problem. I learnt how to model intricate geometries using design software, how to mesh the fluid domain based on the physics of the problem, identify what turbulence and transport models are to be used, how to assess convergence, how to post process the results and how to automate the process by using journal files and scripts.
The hardest and the most enjoyable parts of the job are the same - the learning curve.
Overall a good job for a student in college
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 31, 2016
The teaching assistant job is exactly what it seems to be; you are there to help with answering any questions that the students may have on the subject or the class in general. Fairly easy job, just hard to remember material from years ago and to know it well enough to help others out without questioning it yourself. Hardly worked with another assistant, but when I did it was a nice and cooperative experience. I enjoyed the job and would do it again if provided the opportunity.
Great escape from hectic studies
Student Custodian (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Yudof Residential Hall, Minneapolis, MNJanuary 15, 2016
Assignments are not easy but relaxing compared to studies, met new friends from different countries here.
Usual work tasks include vacuuming, trash cleaning.
Cleans rooms and room flip over during semester breaks.
Perform cleaning projects such as carpet cleaning using machinery included carpet extractor and carpet buffer.
Pros
Good co-workers and management
Cons
Can be exhausting during semester breaks
Overall a good work environment
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 20, 2016
A typical day at work varied with respect to the specific position I worked that day. It usually entailed communication with customers and working with the managers. I also helped in cleaning and prepping the food. I learned how to keep the work space clean, how to work in a fast paced environment, and how to help fix problems and make an enjoyable visit from the customers. My co-workers were a nice set of people. The full time staff were generally very helpful with any questions a student may have. Some of the student workers worked hard and some did not. I learned how to compensate and adapt to the different people I worked with at different times. The staff and management were overall very friendly to work with, but the management was a bit unorganized due to some lack of communication between the different managers. The hardest part of the job was the back and forth instructions being given by the different managers. It could be problematic and frustrating for both the staff and the customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people interaction. It was wonderful being able to interact with the customers and my fellow co-workers on a daily basis.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Minimum wage
Fun and enthusiastic environment with flexible hours and amazing staff.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 2, 2016
A typical day at work is fast pace. This job involves a lot of flexibility and a positive attitude in order to succeed. This job taught me many things. It taught me responsibility, patience, flexibility, and integrity. As a manager I have to make sure that everyone in the store, staff and customers, are satisfied. My coworkers bring a positive attitude every day they come to work and are willing to help. There are difficult days as with any job but overall the atmosphere is very friendly. The hardest part of the job is making sure everyone is happy. Mistakes do happen and customers and staff get upset and its my job to minimize these happenings and find a happy medium for everyone I encounter. The job is fast paced so sometimes it does get stressful but the important thing is to stay calm and take everything in stride. The most enjoyable part of the job is also the hardest part of the job, that being my coworkers and the customers. When I make a customer happy it makes me happy. My coworkers always keep me entertained and work is far from boring.
Pros
free lunches, job advancement, good atmosphere
Cons
limited breaks, long shifts
Life as a graduate student. Lots of mud and memories.
Grad Student of Entomology (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 29, 2016
I had a fun time working there, the people were so so very nice and friendly. I was accepted into the group almost immediately. The hours are very long,and since its a salary job, it doesn't matter if you work 40 hours or 95 hours a week.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
self motivation required
Intellectually challenging
GRAD 8102, Practicum for Future faculty Internship (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 3, 2016
My internship involved lecturing to several classes of music students about the Schillinger System of Musical Composition, and how it can be utilized in music medicine and music therapy settings.

The experience validated the importance of the material I presented and increased my confidence in my ability to successfully delivery the data.

Professors were very supportive, as were the students.

The hardest part of the job was finding a parking place.

The most enjoyable part of the experience was receiving positive feedback from the students and professors involved in the classes.
Old leadership and a lot of red tape
Senior Manager, Marketing and Project Management (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 15, 2016
Very difficult to advance. Job classifications vary drastically. If you are at P&A status your sick and vacation along with retirement are nice. Very slow to get anything done and many people settle for mediocrity.
Pros
Good benefits and tuition discount
Cons
change is hard, bureaucracy, old leadership
Masonic Cancer Center Mass Spectrometry Facility
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 4, 2016
This facility is equipped with state-of-the-art mass spectrometers. Stuffs are very helpful, knowledgable, fun to work with and take their jobs seriously. This is one of the best carcinogenic DNA adducts/adductomics mass spectrometry research center worldwide.
very nice place to start your pharmacy career
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNJune 29, 2016
The manager I worked for was extremely caring, considerate, and sympathetic with almost everyone's situation. He always have the benefit of the doubt for his employees and the clients regardless
Fun work enviroment
Intake Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 11, 2016
I believe I met the most friendliest staff here. The location was amazing with the light rail being directly in front of our building.
Pros
U of MN campus, farmers market!
Cons
Cardiology clinic was not fun scheduling for.
Great atmosphere and flexible work schedules
Student custodian (Current Employee) –  Morris, MNJanuary 2, 2016
The office of residential life for UMM has been a great work experience for me. My employers and fellow employees are very understandable about work schedules for students, single parents, workers with mental health needs, etc. If someone is sick and unable to make it in to work everyone is willing and able to come together and share extra work duty so everyone is able to go home on time. Training and safety is taken very seriously and handled with great care. Everyone is required to attend all trainings that are relevant and applicable to specific equipment and job positions within the university.
Pros
Adequate breaks, friendly atmosphere, employee appreciation events

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2