University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota Employer Reviews

Good for Work Study
ADMISSIONS ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Rochester, MNAugust 7, 2014
Very flexible and great bosses. Having coworkers being fellow students makes the work environment fun.
Enjoyed working with people
Operation Supervisor (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 4, 2014
Pros: enjoyed working with people
Cons: pay wasn't the best
Provide day to day supervision of trades people and over see the equipment in about 3.0 million square feet of buildings
Graduate School
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 31, 2014
Pros: advancement towards phd degree
Cons: minimal salary
Overall a good graduate school to attend. Experience is highly dependent on your particular adviser.
Great Exprience
Team Researcher - Surveyor & Data Entry (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 28, 2014
Pros: freedom of taking work home, and also working on your own time.
Cons: working outside in various temps.
Worked on a research team to provide information that goes to Metro Transit and MnDot. Surveyed selected candidates all over the metropolitan area. Scheduled and coordinated times with team about when and where to survey. Surveyed over 600+ candidates within a 3-month period. Took data and documented into system. Help give accurate data which is used – more... to increased the productivity and reliability of Metro transit the in future.

The work was very independent. It was a lot of on interaction with new people a,d being well with documenting the data we collected with every client. It was very flexible and we just had the deadline that had to be met. Probably one of the best jobs I had thus far. – less
Intern
Intern & Work Study (Former Employee), Crookston, MNJuly 22, 2014
Pros: great place to work
I learned a lot about the development side of the University. It was valuable information. I learned a lot about what it takes to have the opportunities we have on our campus.
Best place to work for a student
Research technician (Former Employee), St. Paul, MinnesotaJuly 20, 2014
A great opportunity to learn a lot when being a student, friendly and professional co-workers.
Great Student Job
Student Security Monitor (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 20, 2014
Great job to get security experience. Worked around your school schedule.
In charge of day to day operations of a laboratory
Scientist (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 18, 2014
Pros: liked the people
Cons: just worked there too long.
Performed chemical analyses. Tracked samples. Some data analysis.
Fun academic environment
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Duluth, MNJuly 9, 2014
Excellent environment where I was able to work one on one with faculty on a research project.
Friendly environment,
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Morris, MNJune 26, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: less time to study
I loved my times there as a student employee. Administration was always ready to assist and my supervisor who was also my professor was very helpful and taught me a lot and instill a lot more professionalism and confidence in me.
Great Place to work
Accountant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 25, 2014
Your days here are filled with many different task. Which keeps this job very interesting.
Diversity of People.
Admissions Interviewer (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 24, 2014
Pros: continuing education.
Cons: parking, expensive healthcare.
Working at the Dental School you meet a great variety of people.
Great workplace
Stores Lead (Former Employee), MinneapolisJune 21, 2014
Pros: great environment
Cons: location
The most enjoyable part of this job was the people I worked with.
Productive workplace with great benefits
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 21, 2014
This is an excellent academic biomedical research institution with co-workers who are also focused generating high quality data.
Loved it
Professional School Fellow (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 20, 2014
Excellent work culture and high standards of customer services
Student Custodian
Student Custodian/Recycler (Former Employee), Duluth, MNJune 10, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: freeze on wages during my time there
Learned how to be a part of a team and also work independently. Great co workers, great hours. Management was very understanding of the hectic schedules of being a full time student with a part time job. Hard to keep up with all the student traffic and mess they made. Was responsible for up to five buildings at once and responsible for the collection – more... of recycling. Attention to detail and finding receptacles in unusual places to keep the areas clean. – less
Labs at the U of M are an excellent place to work!
Senior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNJune 7, 2014
Pros: rewarding work, always interacting with interesting people.
Cons: the constant challenge to secure grant funding
Doing research at the University of Minnesota is a rewarding experience. I very much enjoy contributing the effort to broaden our understanding of the natural world. I have worked under several Principal Investigators, each with their own management style, each with its pros and cons. One enjoyable aspect of work life at the U is the people. There is – more... always an opportunity to interact with people form different parts of the world. These conversations often, in my experience, lead to talking about ethnic (to me) food. This is enjoyable. Another enjoyable aspect of work life in the lab is there is always learning. This keeps the pace fast and fascinating, but can be a challenge at times to keep up. – less
Good Research
Research Intern (Former Employee), Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJune 4, 2014
I spent 10 weeks in this place doing summer research and I found this place good for doing research and you have the cite (Twin Cities) and the mall (Mall of America) accessible.
challenging but fun place to work
Student Security Monitor (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 27, 2014
pays really well for a student job, the only downside is working late nights which takes a lot of adjustment to get use to.
Administrative Director (Current Employee), St. Paul, MNMay 26, 2014
Pros: benefits, available training
Cons: parking, salary limits
The University of Minnesota is a great place to work. The organization provides its employees with excellent benefits and training opportunities..

A normal day in my current position is usually working with a variety of people - from the department head and other faculty, to financial staff and other office staff, to graduate and undergraduate students. – more... Since my position encompasses aspects of financial management, human resources and facilities management, days are rarely the same. My job is rather cyclical, so my focus is dependent on the time of the year. I do everything from balance a $3M budget to supervise office staff, manage all hiring processes, and coordinate facilities projects.

I have learned many, many things in my 14 years at the University. I've found that making connections with people in other departments and units around campus has proven to be a very valuable tool. I've learned to embrace change, as it usually proves to be beneficial in the long run. I've learned that the dynamics of the work place can contribute to a healthy environment, or erode a positive outlook. Working as a team is key - without that, problems will ensue.

The management at the University has changed quite a bit in the last several years. I agree with the direction it is going, and think it's in very capable hands. I've served on university-wide governance for several years, and found it to be a great way to obtain a deeper understanding of the organization.

My co-workers are mostly wonderful to work with. I've hired several communications assistants, and they have been amazing hires. It so rewarding to hire young people that are eager and willing to learn. I love this aspect of my work - being able to show new people all the resources and opportunities the University has to offer. It has also been very rewarding to bring new faculty and staff into the department.

The biggest challenge I have faced is supervising a woman who has been in the department for 33 years. Despite oral and written warnings, it is very difficult to 're-train' a long-term employee. The financial implications of retrenching her position make it fiscally unfeasible for the department. I've worked with several other people through out the organization that have had this same issue - poor performers are often times difficult to remove (due to contractual agreements), and subsequently, the unit has to work around a 'weak link'.

Overall, I've enjoyed my employment at the organization. I am at a place in life that I'd like to find new challenges and learn about other organizations outside of academia. – less

1 2 3 4 5