University of Minnesota Employee Reviews in United States

Overall a good work environment
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 20, 2016
A typical day at work varied with respect to the specific position I worked that day. It usually entailed communication with customers and working with the managers. I also helped in cleaning and prepping the food. I learned how to keep the work space clean, how to work in a fast paced environment, and how to help fix problems and make an enjoyable visit from the customers. My co-workers were a nice set of people. The full time staff were generally very helpful with any questions a student may have. Some of the student workers worked hard and some did not. I learned how to compensate and adapt to the different people I worked with at different times. The staff and management were overall very friendly to work with, but the management was a bit unorganized due to some lack of communication between the different managers. The hardest part of the job was the back and forth instructions being given by the different managers. It could be problematic and frustrating for both the staff and the customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people interaction. It was wonderful being able to interact with the customers and my fellow co-workers on a daily basis.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Minimum wage
Fun and serious workplace
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJune 9, 2016
A typical day at work is great. The workers are all nice and work hard. The supervisors are great and easy going. They keep the work shifts flexible.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Good
Finance Professional II (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 3, 2016
Good life and work balance
Flexible schedule
Respectful workplace
Nice co-workers
Reasonable compensation
High job security and very stable
Overall a good job for a student in college
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 31, 2016
The teaching assistant job is exactly what it seems to be; you are there to help with answering any questions that the students may have on the subject or the class in general. Fairly easy job, just hard to remember material from years ago and to know it well enough to help others out without questioning it yourself. Hardly worked with another assistant, but when I did it was a nice and cooperative experience. I enjoyed the job and would do it again if provided the opportunity.
great
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 27, 2016
I have not yet begun working there, but I currently work out at the Recreation and Wellness center and love it and the staff.
Fun and exciting
Peer Advisor / Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 22, 2016
Working for the students in transitions department was always fun and exciting. The management there is amazing and really fun to work with. Would work there again.
Pros
Free food and really rewarding
Cons
Lots of responsibility, little pay
Old leadership and a lot of red tape
Senior Manager, Marketing and Project Management (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 15, 2016
Very difficult to advance. Job classifications vary drastically. If you are at P&A status your sick and vacation along with retirement are nice. Very slow to get anything done and many people settle for mediocrity.
Pros
Good benefits and tuition discount
Cons
change is hard, bureaucracy, old leadership
Masonic Cancer Center Mass Spectrometry Facility
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 4, 2016
This facility is equipped with state-of-the-art mass spectrometers. Stuffs are very helpful, knowledgable, fun to work with and take their jobs seriously. This is one of the best carcinogenic DNA adducts/adductomics mass spectrometry research center worldwide.
Great Experience
Residential Life (Former Employee) –  Crookston, MNMay 3, 2016
Gained great professional relationships, wonderful training and development, and a can truly say this Organization is committed to diversity.
Great opportunity to learn
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 2, 2016
Outstanding opportunity to learn and grow professionally. Strong supports. Excellent community work. Great short term job.
Pros
Co-workers were outstanding, challenges were fun!
Cons
Job over too fast...
Fun and enthusiastic environment with flexible hours and amazing staff.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 2, 2016
A typical day at work is fast pace. This job involves a lot of flexibility and a positive attitude in order to succeed. This job taught me many things. It taught me responsibility, patience, flexibility, and integrity. As a manager I have to make sure that everyone in the store, staff and customers, are satisfied. My coworkers bring a positive attitude every day they come to work and are willing to help. There are difficult days as with any job but overall the atmosphere is very friendly. The hardest part of the job is making sure everyone is happy. Mistakes do happen and customers and staff get upset and its my job to minimize these happenings and find a happy medium for everyone I encounter. The job is fast paced so sometimes it does get stressful but the important thing is to stay calm and take everything in stride. The most enjoyable part of the job is also the hardest part of the job, that being my coworkers and the customers. When I make a customer happy it makes me happy. My coworkers always keep me entertained and work is far from boring.
Pros
free lunches, job advancement, good atmosphere
Cons
limited breaks, long shifts
Educational institution
District Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 26, 2016
The University of Minnesota Facilities Management offers a wide range of specialties and has a great group of employees working for them.
Awesome university that promotes new discoveries
Prosthodontics Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 23, 2016
Located in the twin cities, the campus brings you great energy to be in. Motivated by the school motto "driven to discover", everyone works their part to achieve the vision.
good place to work
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 20, 2016
UMN is a nice and friendly environment to work in. Flexible working schedule but may depend on PIs. A lot of resources to share for research purpose and easy to have collaboration.
Great Place to Grow
One Stop Student Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 20, 2016
Good in school job
Managers work with you to get good experience
Easy work load
Great co workers
Fun potlucks
No benefits for students
Great
Lead Peer Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 15, 2016
It has been great working on campus. Co-workers are nice; the manager is approachable and helpful.
I've gained so much communication skill and interpersonal skill to work with people and also how to do teamworks.
good
Writing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 15, 2016
I have had excellent supervisors during my time with the Center for Writing of the University of Minnesota. The pay is relatively good for a student job.
Great place to work!
IT Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 15, 2016
 Provide timely, courteous and correct IT Desktop Support to Staff, Faculty, and Students of the University by following ITIL standards
 Support all University owned technology devices including PCs, Macs, printers, and mobile devices
 Assist end users with placing orders, imaging computers, configuring and deploying computers and software
 Ensure all Support Incidents and tasks are resolved in a timely and efficient manor while providing excellent customer service.
 Being a mentor to colleagues by providing training, answering questions, and giving suggestions to new technicians in our zone
 Setting up and configuring jacks on the network for various devices such as specialized lab equipment, printers, and computers
 Manage Active Directory by ensuring users and computers are in the correct groups and OU’s to ensure they are receiving the correct group policies
Best university in the midwest
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 14, 2016
Great place to work and study the work life balance of the student is great. I recommend it to all aspiring masters students
Steep Learning Curve, Productive, Supportive team, good balance between work and social life
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Engineer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 13, 2016
A typical day at work involves analyzing simulation results, planning for more simulations, reporting the results through well documented reports and discussing the future work with a research advisor.
My learning curve has been steep since I became a computational fluid dynamics guy within a span of 7 months. An experienced team, computational resources and lots of web resources helped me gain experiencing in transforming a physical problem into a solvable computational fluid dynamics problem. I learnt how to model intricate geometries using design software, how to mesh the fluid domain based on the physics of the problem, identify what turbulence and transport models are to be used, how to assess convergence, how to post process the results and how to automate the process by using journal files and scripts.
The hardest and the most enjoyable parts of the job are the same - the learning curve.

4.2