University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota Employer Reviews

Flexible, laid back job
Inventory Support Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 10, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: monotonous
Being an Inventory Support Assistant was nice while I was a full-time student. They were very flexible with hours, late schedule changes, or any days off I requested. Management was very friendly and willing to help. The pay wasn't the best, and there wasn't too much room for any promotion/raise. This being said, it was nice for a student in school.
Teaches the fundamentals
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 10, 2014
Overall, a solid educational experience with exposure to a diverse range of topics.
Awesome School
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 10, 2014
Great school for individuals who seek a four year degree at a top ranked college.
great benefits only
Sponsored Projects (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 3, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: job culture, work-life balance doesn't exist with pis, management is poor
benefits are awesome! that new gym is awesome!

if you work well with academics, you will fair well, but these are people who don't really have great management skills (from my personal experience). there are a few gems to work for, but that will come far and few in between.
A good place to work
Principal Office and Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNOctober 1, 2014
Pros: good feeling in the department
Cons: no problems to speak of
I worked for 30 employees in my department. I made sure that they had all necessary equipment in working order. Ordered supplies for the office. When ever someone needed to travel to a conference I made all the travel arrangements. Booked the hotel room, and registered them for the conference. I have learned the University travel policies and what can – more... be used on an expense report. Took on special projects with short deadlines and completed them in a timely and accurate manner.
Management is understanding when you need to take time off if needed. My co-workers were a good bunch of people, fun to work with. – less
Clinical Chemistry fellow (Current Employee), MinneapolisOctober 1, 2014
Pros: parking covered
Cons: commute during winter
The job I had here has great work-life balance. Overall the staff are dedicated to job responsibilities.
Good Benefits, Lots of Terrrible Management (Dining Services)
Cook/Sr. Stores Specialist/Cashier/Union Steward (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: free meals, paid vacation and sick leave, health and dental benefits, union representation.
Cons: everything else.
You'll try your best to just keep your head down and do your job, however the U of MN will still find ways to under mind your abilities, and patronize you as an individual. Unfortunately, given the paid vacation and sick hours that you can accumulate it might be worth the headache depending on your position. That's of course they don't fire you before – more... you pass your 6 month probationary period ( in which case they can terminate you for any reason they want). – less
Productive & fun workplace
Undergraduate Mathematics Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 25, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of the campus lifestyle.
Excellent Education and Extraordinary Faculty
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Duluth, MNSeptember 23, 2014
As a recent graduate of the University of Minnesota Duluth I couldn't be more pleased with my experience at the University.
High-energy, results-oriented leader with exceptional interpersonal and organizational abilities.
Executive Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 23, 2014
• Provide administrative support for five regional medical directors, 2 Faculty surgeons for successful healthcare organization.
• Coordinate coverage for faculty practice, update dental standard operating procedures, heavy scheduling of OMS physician calendar management and OMS Faculty meetings
• Supervise the work of front desk scheduler, students – more... and temp worker communicate with department to insure payroll checks are correct and timely.
Monitor and regulate employees' use of sick days, vacation days, and unpaid leave.
• Oversee a wide variety of administrative functions, compile and analyze data from monthly reports to prepare director’s presentations to executive management.
• Code and Bill commercial insurance carriers for second requests when applicable, designate procedure codes and follow up on claim denials.
• Conduct in-depth business development research and compile results for review by surgery team.
• Manage office within budget guidelines according to School’s policy and procedures. Create presentations and schedule all executive-level meetings and travel.
• Prepare bi-weekly expense, time and travel reports. Manage invoicing and billing processes.
• Develop spreadsheets to improve quality and risk assessment initiatives.
• Reduced department travel expenses by $57,000 within first three months by identifying cost-effective travel agencies and negotiating vendor contracts
• Facilitate the enrollment of providers for Medicaid, Medicare, FFS and HMO/PPO. – less
Top-notch medical facility
RN (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: um east bank campus, bus route, train route, nurse autonomy, teamwork with physicians.
Cons: parking limited on campus-about $70/month.
Great place to work. On the University of MN campus, excellent facility, top doctors. Bonus at end of the year for up to 2 certifications. Patient centered care.
Life of a Graduate Research Assistant
Development of BLE applications (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 16, 2014
The job is flexible while you are expected to finish 20 hours of weekly work.
A great university to have ecudation
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNSeptember 8, 2014
I got my Ph.D. in University of Minnesota
the most enjoyable was when problems were solved
A great opportunity to work by giving back to the community
teaching assitant (Former Employee), Duluth, MNSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: great working environment and self motivation/discipline
Cons: limited interaction
Working at the University of Minnesota was very flexible. I was able to work at my own pace by grading students and providing feedbacks to various assignments and questions. The hardest part of the job was not being able to see the students I worked with on a consistent basis as all the work was done online. Personally I enjoy working in an environment – more... in which I can interact with my coworkers as well as customers. I really enjoyed working here due to the flexibility that the job provided. – less
Great People
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 29, 2014
I really liked the work that I did and my boss was very help fun.
Great place to learn many skills.
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 22, 2014
Pros: set schedule, skill building, nurturing environment, flexibility for students, deeply discounted tuition for your first 4 year degree
Cons: lots of downtime, time tracking, more managers than employees.
I love my job at the University of Minnesota! My only criticism is how top heavy the management and administration staff is. I suppose it is a common complaint when working for an academic institution, but the University of Minnesota seems especially administration laden.
Extremely rewarding job that teaches valuable skills.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 7, 2014
Many students at the University of Minnesota are given the opportunity to perform research with a faculty member. A typical day includes a few hours of research, and students generally have a weekly meeting with their advising faculty member. While research is not always the easiest task, particularly when it seems as though a new breakthrough will – more... never be made, it is very rewarding and allows students to learn valuable skills. In particular, students learn about perseverance, as well as learn interpersonal and analytic skills. Presenting what has been discovered at the end of the term is the most enjoyable part of this job; by that time, each student is an expert on their topic and they are given the opportunity to teach others what they have learned. – less
Good for Work Study
ADMISSIONS ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Rochester, MNAugust 7, 2014
Very flexible and great bosses. Having coworkers being fellow students makes the work environment fun.
Enjoyed working with people
Operation Supervisor (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 4, 2014
Pros: enjoyed working with people
Cons: pay wasn't the best
Provide day to day supervision of trades people and over see the equipment in about 3.0 million square feet of buildings
Graduate School
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 31, 2014
Pros: advancement towards phd degree
Cons: minimal salary
Overall a good graduate school to attend. Experience is highly dependent on your particular adviser.

1 2 3 4 5