University of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Easy to find work as a student
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 24, 2017
University of Minnesota students can find work relatively easily, especially if they qualify for work study. Jobs vary and management is different depending on the department, but overall good entry level jobs.
Pros
flexibility
Fun environment with emphasis on learning
Joint Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 23, 2017
Highly fun environment with emphasis on learning new concepts and applying them for the day to day benefits. Fellow post graduates, graduates and undergraduates were highly fun to work with.
Very Relaxed Atmosphere
Lead Admissions Telecounselor (Former Employee) –  Morris, MNMay 23, 2017
While you had to make sure to get your work done there was also no problem, with talking with your coworkers whenever you were not busy. They managers encouraged strong coworker relationships.
Library worker
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 23, 2017
I worked at a library on campus. I shelved books, I helped people at the desks, I checked books out. Fairly basic, simple tasks. Very flexible schedules, easy to fit around classes, but not very well paid.
long, tiring

Management:
Manager ALWAYS micromanaged

Culture:
Busy
Pros
enjoyable staff
Cons
terrible manager
Working in Academia Rocks
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 22, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed being part of the university environment, rich with learning, opportunities to volunteer to do new work responsibilities, had great relationship with Deans
Balanced workplace culture
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 21, 2017
My experience working at the University of Minnesota as a student research assistant could not have been better. My supervisors were amazing and the workplace culture was such that everyone was passionate about attain our research goals.
good experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 20, 2017
University of Minnesota is a very good university located at Minneapolis, MN. It is next to Mississipy river, the campus is very beautiful.
The staff in the school are very friendly.
Great professional develop opportunities
Director (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 19, 2017
While the department head was challenging to work with, the front line staff generally got along and worked well together. This is a great place to work if you wish to interact with other departments and pursue more in-depth professional development opportunities. The benefits are great, but are, like so many other institutions, on the decline, employees are increasingly asked to make greater contributions to their health insurance at the same time that the out of pocket co-pays are increasing.
Pros
Professional development and relative flexibility in one's work schedule
Cons
It is an institution and often slow to respond to necessary changes; administratively top-heavy
productive
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 18, 2017
good place to work. friendly. flexible hours. does not pay as much. worked here as a student and saw cannot say a lot about the salary. loved that the job was timed around my schedule
UMD Superior Dining
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Dining CenterMay 17, 2017
Work varies from slow to fast paced, the managers are AMAZING and always willing to work with students to find the best time and place for them to work. I learned how to cook, work well with a whole team in different areas, and manage my time efficiently. The hardest part of the job was probably getting through slow times, and the most enjoyable was being able to work with Floyd, Carolyn, Carrie and Tanya.
Pros
Free lunch, flexible schedules, available on campus
Cons
slow work at times
The ability to teach ASL to students learning the language.
ASL Department Tutor & Secretary (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 16, 2017
A typical day for this job was to be sole tutor to approximately 800 students in the American Sign Language department to make sure they understood language basics, sentence structures, and were able to pass their exams. I learned more of the basics myself by breaking the lessons down in a variety of ways which enhanced my understanding. The workplace culture was a "no-voice" zone as the entire staff was deaf or mostly-deaf. The hardest part of the job was attempting to teach students who assumed that, because American Sign Language was not a spoken language, that it would be easier (which was not the case). Without their practice, the lessons would become more difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job would be when students would come back and show off their passing grades and see the grow on their faces.
Pros
Pros included enhancing a much-loved language of mine.
Cons
When students were not giving their best and it took away learning time..
Large campus with many employees
Executive Assistant & Administration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 15, 2017
I like the campus but I do feel lost in the crowd. I would really like a mentoring program to help assistant with career advancement. I feel like I have more to offer in a higher level role.
Great Office Culture
Assistant Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 11, 2017
Working for the University of Minnesota Office of Admissions is like working with family. Everyone builds each other up, helping out when a co-worker is in need. I loved working here.
Pros
Cons
Pay
A hot mess
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 11, 2017
Restructuring has been ongoing for four years. There is a massive power struggle between two admin offices, and the person in charge seem completely unaware of it, or of how to manage personnel.
Pros
The students are wonderful.
Fun work space
Chef's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 10, 2017
Overall this job was just a stepping stone to get me through one summer that I came home from college for. I did not reapply for this job the following summer as I found a much better paying job the following summer.
Productive and fun work place
Teaching Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 9, 2017
Work schedule is based off of what you get done. Results are more important than hours. Teaching program is top notch. Teachers are required to hold office hours and be available to the students. Students are also responsible for their own work with is nice.
Awesome Environment on Campus
Cook (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNMay 7, 2017
Always a new and exciting day at the university. No day is the same and your always meeting new people. The management, although are there to supervise, but let you run the show from day to day.
Pros
Free Lunch, Great People
Cons
Poor pay, and serving lots of people
Fun atmospher
Coordinator of Community Outreach and Recruitment (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 4, 2017
They try their best to make it enjoyable and educational for potential UMD students. This was a different but great experience for me, it made me think outside the box.
Fascinating and Boring
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 3, 2017
I learned a lot at this job, but also found myself alone for hours at a time staring at a screen which is hard for me. I learned presentation skills and computer skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2