University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota Employer Reviews

good place to study
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 25, 2015
good place to study, wise and top professors, advanced test equipment and tools, world class lab, front end research, smart students, huge collection libraries.
No job security
N/a (Former Employee), N/aMarch 19, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Management is awful, pay is very low.
Job security well there is none. Not worth the time to apply for this job.
Lazy management.
Quiet and Scholarly work environment
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 16, 2015
Pros: team meeting and events provide free lunch, holiday festivities
Cons: lack of managerial guidance to assist on projects or help with office morale.
The position I currently hold at the University of Minnesota is reputable as it requires diligent relationship building with our external Industry affiliates. I support faculty members and academic advisors to help coordinate events and documents needed to be submitted to their proper destinations.

A typicial work day consists of a 7:45am -4:30pm schedule.
I spend time monitoring the Communications inbox, updating our web platforms with announcements, recognition and stories. I connect with our academic advisors regarding student information as needed.
I spend a majority of the day working on independent projects for upcoming events or department goals.

The most challenging part of the job is staying motivated in the culture and environment. My current role is predominately independent work, with a quiet office space, very little managerial guidance, but some opportunity for cross-functional collaboration available.

The most enjoyable part of the job is connecting with our Industry affiliate members (email, phone in person), and connecting with our partners at the Dean's office.
See Previous review
Psychiatric Associate - Locked Behavioral Units (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 15, 2015
OUTSTANDING! Incredible environment to work in. Supportive, knowledgeable co-workers. Absolutely one of the best.
Best institution of higher education in the country
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee), Online/distance learningMarch 11, 2015
Pros: benefits, culture, people
Cons: pay
I worked for 7 years full time as an academic advisor and a total of 18 years as an instructor, with 12 of those years teaching online.

I love the U of M. The people are terrific, the students are top notch and overall, this was my favorite place to work. I wish I could go back there and work full time, but I no longer live in the Twin Cities. So I have to keep my toe hold by teaching online classes for them.
Awesome
Curriculum Writer (Former Employee), educationMarch 10, 2015
Great place to work. The staff works well together and provides guidance as needed. Payment was on time and work was appreciated.
Good intentions with missing pieces
Assistant Production Manager (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 2, 2015
Pros: consistent schedule
Cons: no job security
The company continually works towards creating a welcoming and sturdy environment but there are gaps in creating important relationships.
University of Minnesota Duluth- On Campus Employment
Lab Assistant / Volunteer (Current Employee), Duluth, MNMarch 1, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours, easy payroll schedule
Cons: low pay, little chance for advancement
My typical day at work and school is very sporadic due to the many jobs and classes I juggle in a day. Working on-campus, however, has allowed this life style by being flexible with work hours. The atmosphere is different for each of these employers, as they are all from different departments, but each one has been open and friendly during my time as an employee.
I learned many life skills associated with working in and office setting and a lab setting. While being an office worker, I learned how to work with customers in person as well as over the phone. My judgement and critical thinking through problems has been improved by being a Financial Aid adviser. Through my work in labs, I have become more confident in my personal judgement and analysis of experimental results. It was most enjoyable being given the opportunity to individually run experiments and lab work. I feel this hands on learning experience will be the most help to me in my future as I search for another lab position. The most difficult part of these positions was getting certain lab equipment to work with specific experiments, but that is a problem common to any job position.
You can learn and also complete your Masters for free
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Duluth, MNFebruary 25, 2015
This is the best job a student can have. You will be TA for two courses and work for like 20 hrs per week and Department will pay your college fee and also pay you 17/hr
Good Work Environment
Nursing Assistant - Adult Float Pool (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 24, 2015
I enjoyed working here. My co-workers were helpful and my manager was great. The environment was positive and I learned a lot during this experience.
Great working environment
Student Manager, University Dining Operations (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 16, 2015
Nice people and comfortable working environment. Learned how to work with different people. Very diversity working environment
Not what I expected
Exec Asst (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: everything else
Not what I expected. Not enough work for a full work day. The best part about my job is knowing I'm not alone in my feelings AND I work a flexible schedule.
Challenging. Need to follow professors instructions
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 15, 2015
Challenging.
But also a great learning experience.
Need to update the class web site, need to grade student homeworks/assignments, should hold office hours and clear student's doubts, address their other issues etc
flexible and compromising
Student Custodial Staff (Former Employee), frontier hallFebruary 12, 2015
Quality student job opportunities:

flexible hours, understanding that there is a balance between work and student responsibilities.

Learned about cleaning equipment and chemicals,how to properly handle them and safety procedures.
Great place to go to Graduate School
RESEARCH ASSISTANT/TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: the harder you work, the more you accomplish, but you choose how hard you work.
Cons: no benefits, no sick time, just like college.
I started as a Master's student but knew I wanted to continue on for a Ph.D. because it was such a great gig. The typical day changed each year as requirements changed through grad school. There was a good balance of research, class, and teaching, until my final year. That last year it was all research and writing and it was fantastic. Overall it was a life changing experience that turned out to be much more valuable than my undergraduate studies.
A huge machine
Junior Scientist (Former Employee), MinneapolisFebruary 9, 2015
An enormous place, hard not to feel like a cog in the machine. Sure that there are very good labs to work for there, feel like I got unfortunate. PI and lab manager were far too busy and absent much of the time.
It is good place to work.
Post Grant Manager (Current Employee), MPLS, MNFebruary 9, 2015
busy but enjoyable job.work/ life balance is unbeatable.
Compensation is very good with benefit.Job security is better and Management good. job culture is good and very with diversity.
Excellent place to work
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 9, 2015
U of M is a big public University in Twin Cities. I am a Teaching Assistant in Industrial Engineering and give help and tutor to the students in course Probability, Quality, Reliability.
the u was a good place to work it has alot of diversity and room to grow
Health Unit Clerk (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 6, 2015
Cons: half hour break for 12 hours
I would start my day a 7am and work until 7pm. I did enjoy my job and most of the people I worked with. 12 hours a day is alot of answering the phones, I would of liked 8 hour days but they changed to 12 for the HUC. I learned that some things matter to people and some don't being the everybody go to person you learn alot about all the different personalities that make your job go round.
Generally good work environment
Info Tech Professional (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: benefits, general work environment
Cons: unable to prioritize and allocate staff appropriately
Assess and handle any urgent follow-up from previous day.
Attend meetings.
Work on existing projects and accept new work as assigned.
Gather business requirements, prepare requirements documentation, develop specifications for programmer use, perform testing, generate reports.

1 2 3 4 5