University of Minnesota Employee Reviews

fun
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Crookston, MNAugust 15, 2017
This was only a work study position so the hours were only about ten or twenty a week. I was able to work one on one with other researchers to learn new skills.
Great work place with nice people
Postdoctoral Fellow and Researcher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 14, 2017
It is a nice place to work. You have to choose your boss carefully. For the research it is a great place but again how is your boss? There are lots of nondeserving people also but there are very well renowned professors as well. There is great teaching staff but the university does not want to spend money on some basic need (Not enough teaching assistants). Housing is kind of bad near the university. The landlord will ask you for rent per person even you are planning to live according to federal law.
Pros
Great Medical
Cons
Very cold winter
Great place for research
Junior Scientist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 13, 2017
This was my first job after graduating from undergrad. The lab I worked in was fantastic at giving me every opportunity I needed to be able to succeed in my job.
Loved my job
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 12, 2017
Worked in a pediatric intensive inpatient mental health treatment center. Loved working with kids and at the University. Good benefits, fair employment.
A growing organization, in the midst of broad transition, with many exciting opportunities.
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 12, 2017

International opportunities, organizational training, and leadership development.
U of m
Student (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 9, 2017
Great place for growth. A lot of good people. Great location. Good Food. I liked the pizza places around campus. The gym is also very nice but tends to get busy later in the evening.
Une université modèle
Chercheur stagiaire (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaAugust 9, 2017
Une très bonne université. Difficile pour un européen de se sentir bien malgré tout dans un environnement qui est très longtemps polaire pendant l'année.
Pros
Qualité de la recherche
Cons
Environnement naturel glacial plus de 6 mois de l'année.
Rigorous training with academic and non-academic career paths encouraged.
Graduate and Post-Doctoral Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 4, 2017
Collaborative atmosphere encouraged. The most active learning is within the lab with world-class mentors, collaborators, and post-doctoral associates.
Fun and easy paced
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 4, 2017
I worked with middle school kids. I tutored them in math. This program gave us free calculators and helped us not just teach but learn more math skills
Nice place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 2, 2017
Everyone you work with is nice. And they will teach you as long as they can. A good place to build your academic career and a good place to learn everything.
Great learning experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 2, 2017
Working as a research assistant can be a challenging yet truly rewarding experience. Research is all about attempting things that people haven't dared to do before, and that can sometimes be a daunting task, especially for someone new to a particular field of study. As a newcomer to the deep learning world, I would spend every day at work learning a brand new concept in computer science or statistical data analysis among a group of experts from a wide range of disciplines. By designing electronics for the biomedical laboratory in the mornings and writing computer vision algorithms in the afternoons, I was able to develop my skill set as an electrical engineer and as a programmer.
Fine
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 31, 2017
I was hired as and audiologist. I worked to the best of my ability. I was professional at all times. I enjoyed the people I worked with. I lI enjoyed my job.
Great graduate school
Reserach Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 28, 2017
As a graduate student in chemistry I feel very loyal the the University of Minnesota. In the midst of many life challenges I had a supportive boss, flexibility, good benefits, research opportunities. The U of MN is great.
Pros
Almost everything
Great place to intern
Clinical Social Work Student (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 28, 2017
As an intern, this agency is very supportive with a huge investment in learning. Staff take time to educate interns as well as work to together and critically think about patients. Doctors and nurses are brilliant and very nurturing humans.
Pros
Cons
I have to leave when my internship is over.
An excellent example of coordinated care for the patients benefit, good continuity of care
UMD staff physician (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNJuly 27, 2017
I love the student population. They are a very energizing and exciting group of people. I love to teach people about their health and how they can improve it, and they are anxious and excited to learn about it. At our facility we are all a caring and compassionate providers and educators. We have a counseling area, a medical area, and a health education department all under one roof. We definitely follow a three pronged approach to student health care.

We are always learning and open to new suggestions and ideas. I also served on the GLBTQIA Commission and a health and safety task force that works with under represented individuals. I am honored to serve on both committees
Pros
for the most part pleasant work environment, love the student population
Cons
winters are much too cold, long, and gray
unrewarding
Teachers Aide (Former Employee) –  Morris, MNJuly 26, 2017
This jobs was a work study position that I took on to help pay for school. The job included grading homework and exams in addition to running study sessions. The grading was monotonous and working for very slightly above minimum wage did not make it any better.
Friendly environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJuly 26, 2017
I work at the University of Minnesota as a student for two years. I worked at the dean's office of my college, and really liked it. The employees were very kind to each other and the work environment was friendly.
Day to day
Tier 2 Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 25, 2017
Lots of great people. A ton of bureaucracy. Things do not move quickly but the people do care about doing a good job. There is a fair amount of opportunity but you need to have a great about of patience. Very steady work and good benefits.
Give or take on management
Executive (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 24, 2017
Love the actual job but management has an ancient idea on how to manage making it a very difficult work environment, employees are hit or miss, some are the most fantastic people you have every met, some are not. Strange collection.
Average
Full Time Student (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNJuly 24, 2017
Average college experience. Large class sizes. Hit a wall in the IT program when it came to computer programming. Fifty percent graduation rate on average.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2