University of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Great group of people
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNSeptember 20, 2016
I have met many great individuals who have become amazing friends and connections by becoming a tutor. This definitely has been one of the best decisions that I have made in terms of progressing my career.
Night Shift
Mechanic II (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 13, 2016
I was hired to work the overnight shift and I eventually became a zombie driving a van and finishing my work super fast since no one was around to be in my way.
Pros
Money
Cons
Shift work complications
Great place for graduate school
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 5, 2016
Supportive and well connected Professors make research enjoyable and interesting. I never had to look for or consider funding, my advisers always has funds and interesting work for me.
pharmacy intern was very educational
Pharmacy Technician/Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 30, 2016
great teaching hospital environment, everybody loves to help one another out at this hospital, worked as an intern while in pharmacy school and it was an invaluable experience
Great training and learning environment
Principal Office and Admin Spec (1826) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 26, 2016
Each work day provided new opportunities to learn new things and to trouble shoot various needs as they came up. I was able to learn and train to use various applications as well as apply those skills to my job requirements. I had amazing co-workers and great students and faculty to assist over the years with the Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies. The hardest part of my job was finding a quiet place and time to focus on detailed tasks during the busy times. However, I was able to to always manage to get my required tasks finished along with many other things as they came along. The best part of my job was assisting all the current and incoming graduate students over the years as they completed their studies.
Pros
Training and education opportunities
Cons
Advancement opportunities with each department as staff
five star university
Research Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 5, 2016
Good university, University equipped excellently. Scientific environment excellent.All the departments are in walking distances. University is reachable via bus and light rail.
Pros
excellent work enviroment
Life as a graduate student. Lots of mud and memories.
Grad Student of Entomology (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 29, 2016
I had a fun time working there, the people were so so very nice and friendly. I was accepted into the group almost immediately. The hours are very long,and since its a salary job, it doesn't matter if you work 40 hours or 95 hours a week.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
self motivation required
Flexible, engaging work
Researcher 1 / Junior Scientist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJuly 28, 2016
Work hours are flexible and task engaging. Work culture varies greatly depending on whose lab one is in and whether or not other staff works for that PI.
Great educational experience
Student Equity Analyst (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNJuly 13, 2016
Great educational experience and a number of amazing opportunities available at the University of Minnesota. Great professors as well, very helpful and very knowledgeable.
Fun work enviroment
Intake Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 11, 2016
I believe I met the most friendliest staff here. The location was amazing with the light rail being directly in front of our building.
Pros
U of MN campus, farmers market!
Cons
Cardiology clinic was not fun scheduling for.
Useful and reliable
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  ScienceJuly 8, 2016
Applying for the job was easy as only a form was necessary to fill out requiring what you are interested in and what courses make you qualified to be a teaching assistant for a department.
very nice place to start your pharmacy career
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNJune 29, 2016
The manager I worked for was extremely caring, considerate, and sympathetic with almost everyone's situation. He always have the benefit of the doubt for his employees and the clients regardless
Overall a good work environment
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 20, 2016
A typical day at work varied with respect to the specific position I worked that day. It usually entailed communication with customers and working with the managers. I also helped in cleaning and prepping the food. I learned how to keep the work space clean, how to work in a fast paced environment, and how to help fix problems and make an enjoyable visit from the customers. My co-workers were a nice set of people. The full time staff were generally very helpful with any questions a student may have. Some of the student workers worked hard and some did not. I learned how to compensate and adapt to the different people I worked with at different times. The staff and management were overall very friendly to work with, but the management was a bit unorganized due to some lack of communication between the different managers. The hardest part of the job was the back and forth instructions being given by the different managers. It could be problematic and frustrating for both the staff and the customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people interaction. It was wonderful being able to interact with the customers and my fellow co-workers on a daily basis.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Minimum wage
Fun and serious workplace
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJune 9, 2016
A typical day at work is great. The workers are all nice and work hard. The supervisors are great and easy going. They keep the work shifts flexible.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Good
Finance Professional II (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 3, 2016
Good life and work balance
Flexible schedule
Respectful workplace
Nice co-workers
Reasonable compensation
High job security and very stable
Overall a good job for a student in college
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 31, 2016
The teaching assistant job is exactly what it seems to be; you are there to help with answering any questions that the students may have on the subject or the class in general. Fairly easy job, just hard to remember material from years ago and to know it well enough to help others out without questioning it yourself. Hardly worked with another assistant, but when I did it was a nice and cooperative experience. I enjoyed the job and would do it again if provided the opportunity.
great
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 27, 2016
I have not yet begun working there, but I currently work out at the Recreation and Wellness center and love it and the staff.
Fun and exciting
Peer Advisor / Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 22, 2016
Working for the students in transitions department was always fun and exciting. The management there is amazing and really fun to work with. Would work there again.
Pros
Free food and really rewarding
Cons
Lots of responsibility, little pay
Old leadership and a lot of red tape
Senior Manager, Marketing and Project Management (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 15, 2016
Very difficult to advance. Job classifications vary drastically. If you are at P&A status your sick and vacation along with retirement are nice. Very slow to get anything done and many people settle for mediocrity.
Pros
Good benefits and tuition discount
Cons
change is hard, bureaucracy, old leadership
Masonic Cancer Center Mass Spectrometry Facility
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 4, 2016
This facility is equipped with state-of-the-art mass spectrometers. Stuffs are very helpful, knowledgable, fun to work with and take their jobs seriously. This is one of the best carcinogenic DNA adducts/adductomics mass spectrometry research center worldwide.

4.2