University of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Fairview RiversideAugust 12, 2015
Taught psychiatric nursing clinical to undergrad RN students. Served as a liaison between lead faculty and students. Assisted students to understand and learn professional nursing role. Assisted to students to gain clinical skills working with patients with mental health issues.
Impotant team member
Infection Prevention Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Steady work flow
Cons: long hours
This was a great job. I learned something new every day. Was able to feel like a part of the bigger picture in the Infection Prevention Department at Fairview Health Services.
Good starting experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 30, 2015
This position was my first experience working in a research laboratory and it was a great learning experience for me. I was able to be involved in the research, well also learning how academic science is conducted.
Avoid it if you can
Instructor (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 27, 2015
The atmosphere within the college is cut throat. People are bitter and everyone is out for themselves. There is no mentorship,
productive
OBIEE Developer (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 21, 2015
Its always fun with Obiee in creating dashboards, reports, rpd. Perfect job work and life balance will be maintained..
Fun learning environment
Nurse Intern (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 20, 2015
A typical work day includes providing pre and post transplant care to patients including, accessing implanted ports, operating central line catheters, and performing central line dressing changes. I also discuss and coordinate with health care team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care plans. Lastly a main responsibility is documenting patient responses to treatment and consult with physicians as needed.
Good culture and leadership
Sr. Manager -IT Services Architect (Current Employee), MinneapolisJuly 16, 2015
Great place to work good culture and leadership. Opportunities for advancement and participation are good. Work life balance is very fair.
Great place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 14, 2015
It is a very open-minded, inviting place to be a teaching assistant. My job was in the College of Liberal Arts on East Bank. The program I worked for was the Leadership Minor office. They are great!
Great university to work for as a temporary field biologist
Mist-Netting and Geolocator Deployment Technician (Former Employee), Multiple locations (constant travel)July 7, 2015
A typical day was early morning work, early afternoon ending with mist netting and geolocator deployment on specific birds we were targeting in multiple locations across their breeding range. I learned more about working as a team, having to rely on a another person to complete the job and acquire all data needed, how to communicate best with your team while out by yourself working independently to get the most work done, and trusting other people. I loved the co-workers I had, working and living in close quarters with them everyday for about 2 months. The hardest part of the job was keeping stress levels low and making sure to get the job done on time and correctly without issues. I enjoyed pretty much everything of the job. I love target mist netting, working with birds in general, and the information that we gained from banding them and what we will gain when we retrieve the geolocators from them next year.
Nice people to work with
Research Coordinator, High Temperature Processing (Current Employee), Coleraine, MNJune 11, 2015
Looking for advancement opportunities, and better work/life balance. Job includes some research possibilities.Work life includes too much micro management.
It provides a productive and supportive working environment for postdocs
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 10, 2015
Pros: supportive and encouraging environment
Cons: The only drawback is the cold weather and long winter ;-)
I like working in UMN where postdocs are greatly appreciated.

My PI is a wonderful person who really cares about what I learn during the postdoc training. The trust and guidance my PI gave me is enormous. My colleagues are very supportive and helpful to get jobs done in a timely fashion.

At the U, there is a Postdoc Association which helps us to learn and grow stronger for the future career!
Great Place to work
Research Associate (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 9, 2015
Pros: Good health care. Opportunities to learn through seminars and lectures.
Flexible work hours. Great environment to learn through seminars and lectures. Collaboration encouraged. Access to many state of the art and cutting edge technologies.
Great place to work at
Animal Health Research Lab Attendant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 8, 2015
This job demands your attention and energy. At the same time it is very rewarding because you know you are making a difference at your work place.
Interesting mix of assignments
Instructional Designer (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 4, 2015
Working at the University of Minnesota has been a great experience. There has been a wide variety of interesting projects that have provided me with the opportunity to learn new software, systems, and project management skills. One part of the job that I enjoy the most is walking on campus between meetings!
Part of Something Bigger
Procurement Operations Manager/Analyst (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 3, 2015
Pros: Vacation Time, Insurance Benefits, Tuition Reimbursement
Cons: Congested location, Tough to Park
Always busy with a variety of tasks that sometimes feel mundane.

Met and worked with some incredibly smart and talented people, while also working with people that come with an entitlement chip on their shoulders.

Loved being part of something bigger - the University touches all counties of Minnesota and over 125+ countries in the world. The research done here is incredibly inspiring.
A simple oppertunity for work during college
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee), Duluth, MNMay 29, 2015
Pros: Free meal after or before work
Cons: Lacks or somewhat unaware management
I worked mainly with pots and pans while working in the kitchen. It was pretty standard though there are several things. Firstly, the management team didn't really understand the section that I mainly worked in. This relates to the time for completion and the expectations that we needed to meet, among other things. Management also forgave those with unexcused absences too often. The reason they get more than one star i that they were at least usually empathetic though not exactly stellar at their job. My co-workers were usually good workers, those that usually showed. But overall the job is monotonous and not hard.
Productive and fun workplace
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 26, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, fun atmosphere, feeling of support
The University of Minnesota has taught me many skills, including interdependence, independence, resilience, accountability, and supervision of other employees. These skills have made me who I am today, and they have prepared me to enter into the professional world.
Fascinating longitudinal Research Study of Children's Language Deveopment
Project Manager (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 20, 2015
NIH funding position, ends when the grant ends.

I work with the best young women in the world, the student RAs. I can't say enough good things about them
Enjoyable environment
Finance Professional 3 (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 18, 2015
Working at the U can be demanding. There are many different rules with the different employment classifications.

Management leaves a lot to the imagination.
Casual working environment and great co-workers.
CARDIA Study Retention/Outcomes Specialist (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMay 18, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and working environment.
Cons: Not always room for advancement.
I love my job now as Retention Coordinator/Outcomes Specialist but also want to keep the door open to future opportunities and/or advancements.