University of Minnesota

University of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Business Casual enviroment, lots of overhead
Online Student Personnel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Crookston, MNOctober 6, 2016
A portion of the day is spent answering emails and putting out fires. Major responsibility comes from managing communication flows in sales-force, generating reports, and maintaining programs such as ApplyYourself, ImageNow and Perceptive Content.
Pros
Great health benefits and retirement programs
Cons
No professional development or career development options. No advancement options
Stable company with advancement opportunities
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 5, 2016
Excellent benefits but the pay is not very desirable unless you are an Executive or Faculty member. Easy to move to different areas of the company. Stable company.
Relaxed atmosphere with low expectations can be a good or bad thing depending on the person
Communications Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 29, 2016
The University like many higher education institutions is managed from the bottom up. Individual colleges have the power with little control from the top. As a result, it is a competitive rather than a collaborative culture with each college and business unit competing for dollars and recognition. You need to be comfortable with ambiguity and slow processes. In addition, annual contracts for professional employees means you can be released from your contract with 30 days notice on an annual basis if they don't decide to renew.

That said, the relaxed atmosphere leads to low expectations and the benefits are admirable.
Pros
Good medical with low deductible, 75% tuition reimbursement, 22 vacation days, 11 holidays and unlimited sick days
Cons
Poor leadership across the campus, slow to move, annual contracts that must be renewed
Life as a graduate student. Lots of mud and memories.
Grad Student of Entomology (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 29, 2016
I had a fun time working there, the people were so so very nice and friendly. I was accepted into the group almost immediately. The hours are very long,and since its a salary job, it doesn't matter if you work 40 hours or 95 hours a week.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
self motivation required
Productive and enjoyable temporary job.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 7, 2016
I worked from home as a temporary research assistant for my mentor's PhD thesis. It was a fun and new experience. My mentor's was helpful and easy to work with.
Benefits
Cons
Temporary
Reasonable pay and good benefits
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 18, 2016
The pay is decent and the health insurance benefits are great. I do not know how well this applies to other types of jobs. This job is only for graduate students.
Old leadership and a lot of red tape
Senior Manager, Marketing and Project Management (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 15, 2016
Very difficult to advance. Job classifications vary drastically. If you are at P&A status your sick and vacation along with retirement are nice. Very slow to get anything done and many people settle for mediocrity.
Pros
Good benefits and tuition discount
Cons
change is hard, bureaucracy, old leadership
Good
Finance Professional II (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 3, 2016
Good life and work balance
Flexible schedule
Respectful workplace
Nice co-workers
Reasonable compensation
High job security and very stable
The U is a wonderful, progressive employer
Cook/Stores Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 14, 2016
I loved working at the U. Unfortunately the food service management company is outsourced through Aramark, and does not necessarily follow the high standards of excellence that the University does in the treatment of their employees.
Pros
Great place to work, awesome benefits, competitive pay
Cons
food service management is outsourced
Great training and learning environment
Principal Office and Admin Spec (1826) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 26, 2016
Each work day provided new opportunities to learn new things and to trouble shoot various needs as they came up. I was able to learn and train to use various applications as well as apply those skills to my job requirements. I had amazing co-workers and great students and faculty to assist over the years with the Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies. The hardest part of my job was finding a quiet place and time to focus on detailed tasks during the busy times. However, I was able to to always manage to get my required tasks finished along with many other things as they came along. The best part of my job was assisting all the current and incoming graduate students over the years as they completed their studies.
Pros
Training and education opportunities
Cons
Advancement opportunities with each department as staff
hostile workplace, poor administration
ociate Professor (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMarch 30, 2016
This particular University is a hostile work environment, especially for women. Administration doesn't care or doesn't do anything about it, so I am looking to move forward and onward.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Students and Colleagues
Cons
Administration
Great Place to Grow
One Stop Student Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 20, 2016
Good in school job
Managers work with you to get good experience
Easy work load
Great co workers
Fun potlucks
No benefits for students
Great group of people
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNSeptember 20, 2016
I have met many great individuals who have become amazing friends and connections by becoming a tutor. This definitely has been one of the best decisions that I have made in terms of progressing my career.
Insecure job for P&A emplotees
external relations (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 1, 2015
Excellent work/balance
Different to utilize professional dev services

There are many different types of employment and awareness of the types and benefits associated with each type is important when accepting a position
Pros
work/life balance
Dysfunctional with inequality at management level
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 4, 2016
The experience of working at the University differs depending what unit you apply to. I worked there ten years and the management is overpaid and dysfunctional. There is no room for advancement. Most of the staff are women are they are not treated well. I would not choose to work here if you are trying to advance your career. The best part of the job was that is was close to where I lived and access to the library. The work was not challenging and there is no accountability at the management level.
Pros
Short Commute, Library Access
Cons
Management is Dysfunctional
Overall a good work environment
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 20, 2016
A typical day at work varied with respect to the specific position I worked that day. It usually entailed communication with customers and working with the managers. I also helped in cleaning and prepping the food. I learned how to keep the work space clean, how to work in a fast paced environment, and how to help fix problems and make an enjoyable visit from the customers. My co-workers were a nice set of people. The full time staff were generally very helpful with any questions a student may have. Some of the student workers worked hard and some did not. I learned how to compensate and adapt to the different people I worked with at different times. The staff and management were overall very friendly to work with, but the management was a bit unorganized due to some lack of communication between the different managers. The hardest part of the job was the back and forth instructions being given by the different managers. It could be problematic and frustrating for both the staff and the customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people interaction. It was wonderful being able to interact with the customers and my fellow co-workers on a daily basis.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Minimum wage
Quiet and productive workplace with kind, hardworking people
Leadership Intern (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 13, 2016
The staff are phenomenal, from entry level positions to top executives. The office spaces are recently redone, and the work produced is well written and thought out.
Flexible for Students
Marketing and Event Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Graduate Business Career Center Minneapolis, MNOctober 13, 2016
Great pay and flexible schedule for students. Staff was very friendly and helpful with my own career development with mock interviews and resume reviews.
Fun place to work
Supply Chain Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 3, 2016
Very demanding a lot of up and down, friendly coworkers a lot to walk and I used that as exercise, management is not too bad, I have learned a lot by doing it.
Fun and enthusiastic environment with flexible hours and amazing staff.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 2, 2016
A typical day at work is fast pace. This job involves a lot of flexibility and a positive attitude in order to succeed. This job taught me many things. It taught me responsibility, patience, flexibility, and integrity. As a manager I have to make sure that everyone in the store, staff and customers, are satisfied. My coworkers bring a positive attitude every day they come to work and are willing to help. There are difficult days as with any job but overall the atmosphere is very friendly. The hardest part of the job is making sure everyone is happy. Mistakes do happen and customers and staff get upset and its my job to minimize these happenings and find a happy medium for everyone I encounter. The job is fast paced so sometimes it does get stressful but the important thing is to stay calm and take everything in stride. The most enjoyable part of the job is also the hardest part of the job, that being my coworkers and the customers. When I make a customer happy it makes me happy. My coworkers always keep me entertained and work is far from boring.
Pros
free lunches, job advancement, good atmosphere
Cons
limited breaks, long shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2