University of Missouri - Kansas City Employee Reviews in United States

Pay is low
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 27, 2016
UMKC is an ok place to work. Salaries are below market value. Raises are small (at most 2%) and come every other year at the most. The benefits are not great. Students are often difficult and demanding. Moving up is very difficult. There is a lot of turn over in staff positions. If you have a difficult co-worker who doesn't pull their weight expect to deal with them for forever as people are not expected to pull their weight but others are supposed to make up for them instead. The parking for staff is very expensive for staff. It is the only college in the city that charges staff for parking. You do get a good amount of time off and they will pay for 75% of your tuition for 6 hours a semester if you are working towards a degree. It is very difficult to schedule your classes and work. Most office are not very flexible when it comes to that.
Pros
good amount of time off
Cons
pay, raises, parking, managment, difficult students
Great flexibility and Organizational Structure.
Student Services Assistant (Secretary) (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 18, 2015
The main thing I gained from these experiences was an in-depth understanding of the organizational structure and their mediums of communication.
Pros
Flexibility, Learning opportunity, some basic amentities
Cons
Short-term Security and Low compensation
Some times is rought and mostly fun to work at
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 1, 2015
The University of Missouri is a nice place to work at. the people are friendly and are willing to help you if you need one.
you can talk to anyone of the people you are working with.
I'm about my work, I love my trade so I love working in my trade.
Mechanical Tradesman Specialist - HVAC (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 17, 2015
I love to work with my hands, so HVAC is a trade in which I love. Trouble shooting and fixing problems. After completing a job, I stand back and admire my work, I'm a do it right the first time type. This job has treated me well. Nothing but love for it.
Pros
Close to home and weekends off, great benefits
Cons
Work night shift, resently married, wife in bed sleep when I get home.
Good University
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 29, 2015
Good research, Analog/digital course design work is detail oriented , only thing needed is synthesis and timing analysis.
This was a good experience to work in a small athletics department.
Director of Basketball Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 29, 2015
This was an internship that completed my Sports Management degree from the University of Kansas. Throughout my time at UMKC I learned how to cut film and construct player workouts. I learned the ins and outs of a small basketball program and was able to do some work in almost every aspect.
Pros
some meals provided, working around basketball
Cons
understaffed and underfunded
An amazing volunteer job and learning experience
Volunteer Undergraduate Lab Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2015
A typical work day in lab volunteering under the graduate students at UMKC would be running and helping them run experiments they were working on for their research; analyzing products by column chromatography, TCLs and NMRs; cleaning and maintaining a safe and productive lab environment; writing lab write-ups and documenting reactions and results. I had to work as a team under the graduate students and follow precise directions. I had to time management my volunteer hours as well as my school work load. I also had to manage my time in the lab to be the most productive that I could be to help them out as much as possible. For example running multiple experiments, or cleaning glassware and the lab while running experiments. The most challenging part of the job was that I started out with only "class lab experience" so being mostly on my own with the graduate student's trust in me to do the right thing in lab and learn and experience as much as possible in a different setting was a change. It was enjoyable to learn different lab setting with different graduate students and see and experience their passion for their research.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 27, 2014
Productive environment and good chemistry among co-workers. Not too many issues.
very helpful and informative
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 2, 2014
when i solve the problems faced by my clients,i feel very happy and supportive.I learnt how to manage people in the labs and provide them quick support at the times of need.
like laot to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 13, 2014
Helping the students with the courses computer survival applications and software methods and tools.
Coursework include technologies like Android, Java, .NET, MS Office, Eclipse, IBM Rational Rhapsody, MS Project, GIT, Subversion, ArchStudio, Junit, Emacs,
Assisting Professor in grading the Assignments and Homeworks.
Satisfying job, good enviroment,
Supervisor - Paint department (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 9, 2013
I worked with a 5-10 man crew of painters. Every day had it own challenges. Coordinating our activities with the other shops on new construction, and customers (faculty and campus departments) on work orders they had approved was at times a careful balancing act.
Every customer needed to percieve they were our top priority.
Pros
good people, pay and benefits
Cons
challenging people, budget freezes
Study the accounting master degree
Member Beta Alpha Psi (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 13, 2013
My cumulative GPA is 3.433.
Did lots of community services during the study life in University of Missouri Kansas City.
Excellent flexibility, great experience
SI Leader - Intermediate Accounting 311 (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 22, 2013
I attend Intermediate Accounting 2 classes together with all the students in order to know what material is being covered at every point in time, so that I can plan my sessions accordingly. Also, I conduct 2 sessions weekly during which I help the students to understand the material better and prepare the for the tests.
Pros
flexible
Ok place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 31, 2013
The salaries are pretty low unless you are exempt. Raises are hardly ever given and are not merit based. The last raises given were in 2011 and they were only 2%. If you are an exempt employee expect to work well over 40 hours a week. The parking is very, very, expensive if your are staff or faculty, the lowest rate is $40 a month if you make under 35k a year. It goes up from there. Parking used to go up $2 every year. So expect that $40 to go up as time goes by. Advancement is difficult. Management is different in different departments, some good, some bad. Many positions require masters degrees and pay in the mid 30k which seems low for a masters. Often asked to handle very difficult student issues when managers should handle them, only given a thank you. Thank yous are not worth much when you hear them so often.
Pros
decent amount of vacation, personal time, sick days and it is easy to get time off when you need it.
Cons
parking, salaries, raises.
Great for Work-Life Balance
Financial Literacy / Debt Management Counselor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 18, 2012
UMKC is a great place to work if you are seeking a work-life balance. They offer great time off, literally my jaw dropped when I got to see how much time off we have, especially after coming from a corporate environment where time off was rare. My experience here so far has been great. The potential to advance is definitely minimal in comparison to my last job, but the benefits are far outweighing that at the moment. I would highly recommend them to any local applicant or even applicants willing to relocate. Kansas City is a great city to live in and I think one of the most underrated cities in America.

4.3