University of Missouri-Kansas City Employee Reviews

Great people to work with and for.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 28, 2016
The most rewarding few months of my life. I am so happy that I had the opportunity to have the experience. The idea that I had the chance to give back to a group of people that wanted help and could use help was the rewarding part of this job.
My co-workers and I are still in communication. I hope that this does not change. I have had the chance to make some great friendships and plan on keeping these people in my life as long as I possibly am able to do so.
Pros
Too many to mention.
Horrible Culture
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 13, 2016
A corporate cut throat culture with bargain basement pay. Certain units are great to work for. Others, including anything having to do with the leadership team are a cesspool of back stabbing and political machinations.
productive and fun workplace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 19, 2016
good university, nice advisors and nice colleagues. can learn many useful skills and knowledges. Many international students, can learn cultures from different countries.
Work culture is very poor.
Workers' Compensation and Risk Mgmt (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 3, 2016
Depending on the department you are working in, can be a very difficult and frustrating work experience. Way too much competition between departments and a lack of focus on core processes.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lack of leadership from top administrators
Marginal support for graduate students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 1, 2015
The pay is decent for the amount of hours you put into teaching undergraduate laboratory and office hours but it barely covers the bills unless you live in a studio apartment and walk to school. Grading could be taxing if you have a deadline at the same time but overall it was very manageable. Instructors and organizers were very nice to work with. It was a net positive experience.
Pros
Great faculty/staff to work with.
Cons
Low compensation if not supplemented. No faculty parking for GTAs.
Productive and Exciting place to work
Facilities Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 24, 2015
In my day to day job I expect the unexpected. Not knowing what's going to happen at work keeps me on my toes. Being able to solve situations at the drop of a pin makes me a better person mentally & physically.

When I delegate tasks to employees explaining to them them thoroughly what it is I expect from them makes them apt to do the job better.

The most enjoyable part of my job is going home the way I came, and this goes for my employees as well.
enjoyed learning enginnering concepts
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 15, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew and it was more difficult to get to know the new people. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day, ranging from the monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting
Student Assistant Review
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2016
My days were filled with clerical and other duties. Many days were normal clerical and proctoring exams. Some of the hardest days were the most rewarding. When looking in the eyes of students that I would have to write the answers for because they are unable to to hold a pen to write but that person, in my opinion was far more intelligent than I am, those were the rewarding days. Those people have more fortitude to go through days that are so difficult for most of us that have small issues and they are unable to hold a pen to write with but have the mental capacity of two of us, but they are overlooked because of a disability. I found inspiration in those days.
The job was rewarding, when I could walk away on any given day and say that I helped someone get through a hard day, that I might not have been able to get through if I were in the same situation.
My co-workers were outstanding people. I still keep in touch with them and plan on maintaining an ongoing relationship with them for years to come.
Pros
Wonderful people to work with both the staff and clients.
Cons
Not still there.
Exposure to Technical experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 19, 2015
I am keenly organizing Circuit theory, Microelectronics & Analog Integrated Chip Design labs based on LabVIEW and Digilent Waveforms tool along with employing diverse teaching and presentation templates for empowering learning among the students.
Great Experience
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 6, 2014
I participated in a school sponsored (SEARCH) project at my University. I worked directly under my Organic Chemistry Professor along with a Post doc, a master student, and four other undergraduate students. I gained valuable experience with many analytical techniques using research quality equipment. As well as different techniques for synthesizing polymers.
Pros
Make your own hours
Great Culture
Tutor, Advanced Math Topics (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 23, 2015
Working here is a great opportunity to help someone in need of help with mathematics or statistics. There are constantly students coming in and out to get help being that it is on campus. The tutors are great! Not one complaint about anyone.
Good company to work for.
Assistant Vice Chancellor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 4, 2012
Working in higher education is a very rewarding experience. I was able to do the job I was trained to do and share some of my experiences in the classroom as an administrator with students.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
lots of events to attend, tough on work/life balance
administrative assistant at the university of missouri-kansas city
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 28, 2012
University of Missouri, Kansas City
Tutor (Biology, Chemistry, Spanish) 2010 - 2012
Responsibilities:
• Assist students in achieving a better understanding in a specific subject.
• Help students understand their instructors' instructions, comments, and priorities.
• Help students develop their abilities through questioning, applying, and practicing concepts and techniques.
• Engage the student actively in the tutoring process.
• Train and guide students as well as other clients in the use of technology in the learning center including internet use, software, videos and audios.

University of Missouri-Kansas City
Administrative Assistant Sep. 2009- May 2012
Responsibilities:
• Drafting, editing and delivering correspondences
• Calendar management
• Records Management
• Reconciling and Budgeting accounts
• Reviewing and organizing Hiring and Termination packets
Excellent experience with mark and recapture techniques and data collection.
Small Mammal Research (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 19, 2012
A typical day is checking small mammal traps and collecting data. I learned many important aspects of being an Ecologist that will be very beneficial down the road.
Great Place for Students to Work
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 19, 2015
Working in UMKC's office of admissions great, schedule is flexible great place to work while trying to finish school for both graduate and undergradute.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 12, 2014
• Designed mechanical, hardware and software part for an optical communication product prototype
• Developed light sensor array for positioning, tracking and communication system
Goood place
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 3, 2015
Like the academic environment and respectable professors. It is a nice place to Learn a lot to benefit my future career.
Great environment on campus, friendly and helpful teachers.
Cap Stone Competition (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 18, 2014
-It was an excellent place to to receive my bachelors.
-There were many options to advance my learning outside of the classroom.
great professors, easy work!
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 22, 2013
I worked for Professors for 2 years, easy work, decent pay. Flexible schedule, as I was a student too.
Pros
flexible schedule, easy work
Cons
none.
Continuing Education
Athletic Department Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 6, 2014
I enjoy working/learning in an environment I am familiar with (Higher Education Athletics)

4.3