University of Missouri-Kansas City Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 8, 2017
UMKC is a good employer with a dynamic and interesting workforce. Hours, benefits, and employee interactions are all top notch. I would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Great benefits, good work environment.
Cons
Parking
Laboratory Specialist
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 21, 2017
I enjoyed the freedom of the laboratory atmosphere coupled with the strict operating procedure. Having clear guidelines for the risky processes helped build confidence in the efficiency of the work.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 4, 2017
A typical day at work in my position would be to answer phones, schedule advising appointments, and other duties as assigned. The people I work with are very friendly and helpful. Each one truly cares about the advancement of the students.
Teaching was Fun
Adjunct Spanish Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 1, 2017
Teaching curriculum to University students at an entry level Spanish class was a great experience, however, low pay and stressful. I wish there would have been an extension of my contract.
UMKC provides a good environment to study, do research and extra-curricular activities.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 22, 2017
I feel glad to be a part of UMKC as Interdisciplinary Ph.D. students, Graduate Research, and Teaching Assisstant. It also provides an employee friendly environment.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Health Insurance Fee
Best Place to work
Lab Assistant- Installation (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 21, 2017
I love the work place. It is so peace of mind. Managers are punctual and expect the same from us. I am pleased to work here. Work environment is very good.
Great place to learn and work and equip oneself with management skills
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 16, 2017
The pace of work is usually never too fast. One gets to learn and absorb the work culture and ethics at the University. Friendly staff, who are there to help you. Learnt a lot of contemporary management topics and skills and put them into practice at work.
Pros
Great people, lots of networking opportunities, most staff have open door policy.
Cons
Pay and other benefits (scholarships) could be a little more liberal.
fun work place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 24, 2017
Its a cool , fun , vibrant culture at UMKC. They make the environment fun , lots of great networking opportunities. I think the people are what really make it fun to work here
Work and School balance
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 10, 2017
Working at UMKC had allowed me to take a class during work time and how flexible they were with my schedule. I enjoyed meeting new students every day and working with my colleagues. I had time to study during downtime and walking distance to my next class.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low Salary
Food Service Management
Production Manager and Resident Dining Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 21, 2017
Main Kitchen remodeled. Very demanding hours and expectations. Students are great to work with. Several locations on campus ranging from coffee kiosks to resident dining and catering
Pros
Free meals. Schedule allow for breaks when students are gone.
Cons
good place for self development
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 30, 2017
I learned a lot and developed as a competitive person.The enjoyable part is that we get to interact with many people and help them with their problems which helps us to grow professionally and personally as well.
Good Opportunities If You Can Stomach The Liberal Agendas
Office Assistant, Lab TA, Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 27, 2017
As a student worker, I was employed in the Chemistry Department. Originally as an office clerk/assistant in the chemistry storage facility, I was unexpectedly offered a position as an Organic Chemistry Lab TA during my last semester. It was a great experience and I'm grateful for the opportunity. I was generally treated well and trusted to do my job.
Pros
Convenient, Generally good work environment, Good work experience
Cons
Heavy-handed and inappropriate harassment training, Rampant liberal agendas
Performed a variety of administrative tasks
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 22, 2017
• Graded for the courses Solar PV System Engineering, Energy Systems for Engineering, Symmetrical Components Analysis of Power System, Thermodynamics and mechanics; Proficient in MS OFFICE
• Performed a variety of administrative tasks including preparation of presentations, data entry and analysis
Great place to work!
Admissions Office Support Staff IV (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 7, 2016
I have enjoyed my time with UMKC and look forward to the opportunities available! A typical day at work includes processing transcripts and answering student phone calls.
Pros
Stable work force.
Cons
Health insurance is high.
productive and fun workplace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 19, 2016
good university, nice advisors and nice colleagues. can learn many useful skills and knowledges. Many international students, can learn cultures from different countries.
Horrible Culture
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 13, 2016
A corporate cut throat culture with bargain basement pay. Certain units are great to work for. Others, including anything having to do with the leadership team are a cesspool of back stabbing and political machinations.
Work culture is very poor.
Workers' Compensation and Risk Mgmt (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 3, 2016
Depending on the department you are working in, can be a very difficult and frustrating work experience. Way too much competition between departments and a lack of focus on core processes.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Lack of leadership from top administrators
Great people to work with and for.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 28, 2016
The most rewarding few months of my life. I am so happy that I had the opportunity to have the experience. The idea that I had the chance to give back to a group of people that wanted help and could use help was the rewarding part of this job.
My co-workers and I are still in communication. I hope that this does not change. I have had the chance to make some great friendships and plan on keeping these people in my life as long as I possibly am able to do so.
Pros
Too many to mention.
Student Assistant Review
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2016
My days were filled with clerical and other duties. Many days were normal clerical and proctoring exams. Some of the hardest days were the most rewarding. When looking in the eyes of students that I would have to write the answers for because they are unable to to hold a pen to write but that person, in my opinion was far more intelligent than I am, those were the rewarding days. Those people have more fortitude to go through days that are so difficult for most of us that have small issues and they are unable to hold a pen to write with but have the mental capacity of two of us, but they are overlooked because of a disability. I found inspiration in those days.
The job was rewarding, when I could walk away on any given day and say that I helped someone get through a hard day, that I might not have been able to get through if I were in the same situation.
My co-workers were outstanding people. I still keep in touch with them and plan on maintaining an ongoing relationship with them for years to come.
Pros
Wonderful people to work with both the staff and clients.
Cons
Not still there.
Marginal support for graduate students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 1, 2015
The pay is decent for the amount of hours you put into teaching undergraduate laboratory and office hours but it barely covers the bills unless you live in a studio apartment and walk to school. Grading could be taxing if you have a deadline at the same time but overall it was very manageable. Instructors and organizers were very nice to work with. It was a net positive experience.
Pros
Great faculty/staff to work with.
Cons
Low compensation if not supplemented. No faculty parking for GTAs.