University of Montana Employee Reviews in United States

Physical Therapy Department is very friendly!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTJune 10, 2016
Typical work day for a research assistant is processing data, scheduling or testing subjects or writing scripts. The Physical Therapy Department is friendly and a great place to work! Lots of current research going on and a great way to help individuals.
Good people to work with, good environment
Unit Supervisor II (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTMay 10, 2016
The University of Montana provides a good work culture, friendly and supportive staff and several opportunities for lateral communication between operations. They provide many opportunities for students to supplement their incomes in addition to helpful job experience which, I am thankful to have been in this supportive role as well.
Pros
Supportive co-workers
Cons
Accomplishing small goals may include big formalities, red tape.
Day in the life of a Lab Tech
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 24, 2016
A typical day at Lab Animal Resources starts with performing dailies in the animal rooms. A daily consists of checking food and water as well as administering any topical treatments, nail and teeth trims. Afterwards we start setting up new boxes and supplies for changes for the following day. I have learned to properly handle mice when administering medication, gender identification and weaning mice 21 days after they're born.
Fun experience
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  onlineFebruary 1, 2016
This has been a great learning experience thus far. I am learning so much about being an instructor in which is what I have wanted and continue to learn everyday.
Loved my job and the people there
Human Resource Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTOctober 16, 2015
Fantastic place to work, coworkers were fantastic. I learned so much while working there, I would recommend the job to any one.
Good university to work for.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTAugust 22, 2015
I enjoyed my experience here as a student worker. My supervisors were flexible with my work schedule, and the work they gave me was meaningful.
Pros
Flexible work hours, laid back atmosphere, meaningful work
Cons
Low pay
Great First Job
Concessions Worker (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTAugust 6, 2015
The Concessions portion of UM Dining is a great part time first job. It is a great place to go if you are looking for two jobs because you can pick the days you work and seasons you work. It is a very fast paced environment during the football games and concerts. It is definitely a job where you have to adapt to changes considering the hours are inconsistent and the people you work with are always being rotated as well as the stands you work in. During football season the hours and people you work with are more consistent because you are placed in one stand with the same workers all season. However I did enjoy working there very much. I personally got along with the people I worked with easily had fun during work because you were either extremely busy or had time to chill out and talk to your co workers but there was always something to be done if you are one to be a "busy bee". Overall I had a great experience working with Concessions though I did not like the lack of hours.
Pros
One free meal, and while on break you got to enjoy the event.
Cons
Work hours are small
Love this job.
Receptionist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTJuly 18, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of selling gym memberships, checking out sporting equipment, and monitoring the weight room. I learned a lot about how a gym is ran, how to run an effective business, communication skills, troubleshooting, and most importantly what working with a great staff is like. Management did a phenomenal job, helpful, friendly, hard working, and not hypocritical. My coworkers were the best I've ever had. Made some lifelong friends working there. Hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with frequent questions people had. Since were are the only place open on campus during the summer people will come in and ask questions about The University I sometimes didn't have the answer part. Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all the amazing people associated with The University of Montana and learning about how a gym is ran day in and day out.
Pros
Co-Workers, Management, and Acquired Skills
Cons
No opportunity to advance, benefits, and pay was minimum wage.
It's a university, what do you expect?
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTJuly 4, 2015
Good working conditions, that you're almost paid to work in. Like most universities, they're downsizing right now and will gladly pay you in "experience" unless you put your foot down. Even if you do, you can expect to be paid on a sliding scale that is respective of how likely you are to end up as a tenured faculty member.
Pros
Work is easy
Cons
Unless you're faculty, you're a second class citizen.
Good college
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTFebruary 1, 2015
University of Montana was a good college to go to.Lots of diversity there and good class courses. Rewarding part of going to school at the University of Montana was being able to do an internship.
Fun and Educational Environment
Student (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTJanuary 21, 2015
Its a pretty good school, has a good environment and teachers.
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMay 1, 2014
It was a good job that was lots of work. Did a lot of cleaning and sweeping and mopping. It was a laid back job that was nice and quiet.
Pros
worked individually
Cons
worked late at night
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 23, 2014
Presented lab lectures and assisted students with hands-on lab exercises. Excellent learning environment. Great co-workers.
Good
Student (Former Employee) –  MissoulaApril 7, 2014
Good experience. It was a year abroad focusing on field based Geology.
One of the most rewarding jobs I have had.
State Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMarch 19, 2014
This job was one of my favorites because the supervisor treated his people with respect and knew how to generate confidence in the employees. Everyone was cross-trained which allowed anyone in the office to do all positions. I was responsible for general office duties, such as filing and phones, as well as state purchasing duties requiring training in the state rules and regulations of purchasing. The people were great to work with and the rate of pay and benefits were good.
Pros
state job with good benefits
Cons
general politics
Graveyard cleaning a public building
Facilities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTFebruary 4, 2014
I went to work at 10p and got off at 6:30a. I cleaned a pulic build associated with a university.
Very busy workplace early in the morning
Printing and Graphic Services Worker (Former Employee) –  University of MontanaJanuary 21, 2014
I would arrive at work around 6:55AM Tues.-Thurs. and grab a couple hundred Kaimin Newspapers and drive around Missoula dropping them at the various businesses that had subscriptions. This part of the Job would take me three hours and would take me all around Missoula. I would see and talk to the same people that I dropped the newspapers off to each day. Around 10:00AM I would finish my route and return to the Printing and Graphics building where I would clean up the shop (garbage, sweeping, etc.) until 11:00AM. At 11 I would leave the shop and go to my first college class of the day.
Pros
nice workplace, worked by myself for a large portion of the time
Cons
really early in the morning
Meticulous, detail oriented, not physical enough
Research technician (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MontanaJanuary 10, 2014
Great opportunity to be part of a research team, but I realized it wasn't the kind of work for me. My job was to watch videos of a bird's nest and record any activity such as feeding, guarding, and intruders. I want a job where I am up and active, rather than sitting and staring at a screen all day. I learned about various behaviors of birds such as guarding the nest from predators. The employees were for the most part very friendly The hardest part of the job was watching videos that were very poor quality and not missing activity. The most enjoyable part was when something very odd happened like a squirrel eating the babies out of the nest.
Pros
flexible hours, friendly people, interesting study
Cons
minimum wage, not physical
University of Montana
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTOctober 28, 2013
Collected data from wildlife researchers entered the statistical data into the database to reference back.
Great people to work with
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  MIssoula, MTOctober 22, 2013
This was an internship of mine. Everyone I worked with was so helpful and informative!

4.3