University of Montana Employee Reviews

Chemistry Graduate Student
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMay 18, 2017
I earned my PhD in analytical chemistry at the University of Montana. It is a great place to go to graduate school; the department is small enough that you get to know people outside your group, but it still has the resources needed to do good science. The faculty are here because they love Montana and people seem to have a good work/life balance.
Pros
Friendly people, great location
Cons
low pay
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMay 15, 2017
The University of Montana is a great place to work. Missoula is a top notch little town, the staff are top notch, and the diversity is amazing. I would go back.
Some labs are better than others.
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 26, 2017
I work in a lab where the primary investigator is very distant from the daily operations of the lab. This means that I set my own schedule, which is not terrible.
Great experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 25, 2017
Staff and professors are great to work with. The bureaucracy of the University System can be difficult to manage. A lot of pros for an overall experience.
Molecular Biology Research Laboratory
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 16, 2017
A moleuclar biology research lab focused on the Borrelia burgdorfori, the causative agent of Lyme disease. Work comprised mostly of isolating and describing the products of individual genes of the pathogen.
Pros
Fascinating, Scientific, Virtuous
Cons
Low pay, not a career, hard to make progress in research
Positive Experience
Research Assistant Psychology (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMarch 24, 2017
My work as a research assistant taught me how to collect data and gain confidence in reaching out to others. I was given freedom to work on my own schedule and guidance when I needed it.
It's an interesting place
IT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTMarch 2, 2017
Missoula is a very liberal place, so University of Montana. Local community stands for the values they approve, developing art scene and healthy environment for students, who yet to become its full members. I've always felt comfortable, engaged and passionate about my IT job, because of our manager, personnel and people we worked with (faculty and stuff). Truly great experience!
Pros
I've learnt a lot about technologies and computer operation from 0
Cons
I really don't think there were any
fairly good
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTFebruary 28, 2017
its sometimes hard to balance school and GA work. But people here are great and they did their best to help each other. Busy but having fun.
Good Student Employment
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTFebruary 27, 2017
Overall the University of Montana is a good place to work as a student, but the wages are not very competitive and there are minimal openings beyond student positions. I would not advise a career with them outside of student work.
Got exercise while issuing parking violations
Student Ticket Writer (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTFebruary 20, 2017
Issued parking violations on campus, assisted campus law enforcement, and assisted public with directions to campus locations.
Pros
Exercise and Fresh Air
Cons
I was a student who needed money
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MT 59812February 20, 2017
Pretty much a good student job when trying to find something easy while going to college. Good sense of feeling when you can help your fellow students with something as well.
Pros
Free room ad board
Cons
HR breathing down your neck if you mess up
Long Saturdays
Employee (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTOctober 7, 2016
On Saturdays I would walk up around 5:00 am and begin setting up parking for VIP's in Parking lots then would set up gates for entries.
Set up barricades for blocked off areas. Man key areas during games(handicap elevators, corners of the flied, in the press box, medical tents.) This would be followed up by tearing down tailgates after halftime.Then cleaning up one endzone after the game, putting away chairs for the boxes. After this we help set up/tear down room for coaches postgame. After this we would remove barricades. This would put your day around fifteen hours for the day.
They give the volunteers better equipment to clean up rather than employees.(learned)
The Direct reporting managers were fun to work for and had understanding for work/life balance that did not always extend upwards.
All co-workers were friendly and helpful with OTJ and any outside life help.
Balancing work life on the weekends for home football games.
Getting to watch most sporting events.(enjoyable)
Pros
Free entry to most sporting events and concerts
Cons
Football games are long days
Great School
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  StudentSeptember 19, 2016
Great school in an equally great place. They have a great staff and a great business program. If you are majoring in business and like the outdoors its a must.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Outdoors
University of Montana; A Great Place to Work
Student Involvement Network Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTAugust 30, 2016
Working for the University, I found that the management and full time staff really put the students and those who worked there need's first. Above all every one was required to do their part and held accountable, it was a team effort and that is something I really like enjoy about a work environment. I would say that everything from the culture to the management is 5 out of 5 stars.
This was a fun job and rewarding.
DIRECTOR OF DIGITAL MEDIA PRODUCTION (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTAugust 19, 2016
I got the opportunity to work at the UM, which is a diverse liberalists college.

I had co-workers who loved the area and were easy to work with.
Pros
location, people
Cons
far from Los Angeles
great place to work
Security officer (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTJune 24, 2016
Wonderful people and a fun work environment. No day is exactly the same, and we always see something new everyday. I don't think there is ever a dull moment. Everyone gets along with everyone.
Physical Therapy Department is very friendly!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTJune 10, 2016
Typical work day for a research assistant is processing data, scheduling or testing subjects or writing scripts. The Physical Therapy Department is friendly and a great place to work! Lots of current research going on and a great way to help individuals.
Good people to work with, good environment
Unit Supervisor II (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTMay 10, 2016
The University of Montana provides a good work culture, friendly and supportive staff and several opportunities for lateral communication between operations. They provide many opportunities for students to supplement their incomes in addition to helpful job experience which, I am thankful to have been in this supportive role as well.
Pros
Supportive co-workers
Cons
Accomplishing small goals may include big formalities, red tape.
Day in the life of a Lab Tech
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 24, 2016
A typical day at Lab Animal Resources starts with performing dailies in the animal rooms. A daily consists of checking food and water as well as administering any topical treatments, nail and teeth trims. Afterwards we start setting up new boxes and supplies for changes for the following day. I have learned to properly handle mice when administering medication, gender identification and weaning mice 21 days after they're born.
Fun experience
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  onlineFebruary 1, 2016
This has been a great learning experience thus far. I am learning so much about being an instructor in which is what I have wanted and continue to learn everyday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Montana. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval