University of Nebraska at Kearney Employee Reviews

Graduate Assistant/Teacher
Student Placement Officer (Graduate Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEJuly 25, 2017
Excellent experience in advising future educators. It was interesting to travel in the field to observe potential educators in the classroom for the first time.
Pros
Unique professional experience
Cons
no job security
productive work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEJuly 12, 2017
Great place and environment
great opportunities
Chances to better your future
Nice community. The people around the university are very nice and helping.
midwestern university
Professor (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEJuly 11, 2017
retire too recently to be objective. I will review it at a later time. You will find very few high quality students. More seriously, most students work too much to pay for tuition and fees.
Pros
good 401k, nice planetarium
Cons
very conservative students
Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEJune 29, 2017
Graduate assistant athletic trainer while in graduate school at Nebraska-Kearney. The work environment was excellent and the sports medicine staff was top notch.
Pros
Great experience. Awesome staff
Cons
Graduate school. Monthley stipend.
Undergrad Research Assistant
Part-time Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEJune 14, 2017
With a few exceptions, UNK's biology professors are excellent at teaching. If you work in a lab there, you are bound to learn a lot, not just about science but so much more. I call UNK four of the best years of my life, and would highly recommend. The atmosphere can be a little 'clique-ish', and favoritism is often a complaint from some students, but whenever I needed help, there was always someone at UNK to offer support and camaraderie.
A fun exciting experiance
International Education Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEMarch 29, 2017
Working at the Office of International Education at the University of Nebraska at Kearney, was one of the best places that I have worked at. I very much enjoyed the opportunity of working with students from all around the world.
Great Experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NEMay 1, 2016
Working with a mentor who has original research experience has helped me hone my research and writing skills. The skills I have learned will help me in law school and in my law career. I also have found a great recommendation to apply to law school.
Very rewarding experience
Thompson Scholar Mentor (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEFebruary 4, 2016
Fast paced job, really needed to keep a tight schedule. It was a privilege to have worked for the Thompson Scholars. It was never seen a job I enjoyed every part of it.
Internship
Strength and Conditioning Assistant Internship (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEDecember 11, 2015
This was an internship and great workplace experience. I was able to work with athletes and create great relationships. I learned working and training athletes is what I would love to do for a career.
Pros
Everything-working with athletes to enjoying my co-workers
Nice and Flexible Place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NEJune 18, 2015
Nice place to work. Can be a flexible place to work -- times you come in, leave and take lunch. Good benefits. Pay is getting better.
Snakes
PASS Instructor (Former Employee) –  Safety CenterFebruary 21, 2015
These people will use you to obtain thier grant funding and then find a way to fire you! Stay away from this place!!! The job description will not mention anything about a contract, grant funded position until after you have worked there for a week and you are in HR completing the paperwork. You will be working with outdated ciriculum and dangerous equipment. Do yourself a favor and stay away!!
Pros
Cons
Stay away!!
Turn around in management is alot and everytime it changes, so does everything else. You can't get a system if everything keeps changing.
custodian (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NEFebruary 14, 2015
Early morning hours, but then you get off early. Good vacation/sick time and time off at Christmas break.

Very hard work (for some people). Always shorthanded. If you have good equipment and enough "good" workers in your building, it is easier. Others sluff their way through and then the others have to make up for their laziness. The equipment and items needed for the job depends on what building you work in and sometimes it depends where you rate on the scale for the management (manager and supervisors). Most of the co-workers are nice to work with. Some of the office people are demanding, but then others are easy to work with and for.
Pros
Vacation/sick time and time off at holidays.
Cons
Shorthanded, not good equipment, and putting up with change in management all the time.
Not a bad place to start
Pitching Coach/Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NENovember 7, 2014
Under funded and under paid, but not a bad place to start your career
Work study job, nothing special
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEJune 3, 2014
This job was very laid back and not very note worthy. I did the athlete's laundry two nights a week. Sometimes it was easy money. Sometimes it was not. I don't really have much to say about it.
Wonderful opportunity
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEMay 29, 2014
We as a Resident Assistant meant that I was on call all day nearly everyday and lived where I worked literally. I had to help about 30 girls living on my floor and oversee another 150 when I was on duty which occurred every few weeks.The hardest part of this job was the long hours. On duty nights we had to do rounds at 1 am and make sure that we completed all the paper documenting what we did once our 1 am security checks of two buildings were completed.
Pros
Meeting many people, being in a select and elite group
Cons
long hours, little free time
A number of great people to work with but management lacks a cohesive direction.
Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NEJanuary 24, 2014
The hardest part of the job was juggling the four different roles I was made to handle especially with competing deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers and colleagues.
Not a bad place to work
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Kearney, NEMarch 7, 2013
The majority of the faculty are nice enough. There are a few that look down on the custodians as less than nothing. The hours aren't the greatest either (5am-1:30pm). There's plenty of opportunity for overtime and a nice tuition break for employees and their family.
Pros
ok people and environment and easy work
Cons
can get boring and not a lot of room to advance