University of Nebraska at Omaha Employee Reviews

Great place to attend
Student (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 14, 2017
Attended there as a full time student and really enjoyed all my teachers and classes. The list of comprehensive fields is enormous and provides alot of options
Productive environment to work as well as a great place to develop great relationships as well as professional experience
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 11, 2017
UNO offers a positive work environment with opportunities to grow as a professional. One of their best benefits is their employee scholarship for any typeof degree if one desires to obtain a second degree.
Student relations
Administrative Assistance (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 25, 2017
Student relations consisted of interviewing new or perspective students regarding their career path desires. Student relations also comprised of detailing about the programs available and guiding new/perspective students about financial aid and scheduling.
Pros
Stuednt ad staff interaction
Cons
Temp position
Busy, solid working environment
Staff Assistant & Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 12, 2017
Working here is a great opportunity for anyone who has the chance. There is always work to be done. There is a lot of politics involved, but if you do your job and do it well there are no worries about losing your position.
Pros
Good People. Stable work flow
Cons
Politics, lower pay
Security Officer
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 17, 2017
I would patrol the grounds of the campus at night to make sure the students and visitors were obeying the policies and laws. working environment was good.
Fun Flexible Workplace
Telecounselor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 25, 2017
A typical day at work was very straightforward after the training. Usually there is something written down for you to do and you just try to get all your work done in the time allotted but it is a very low stress environment. I learned a lot about communication and personal motivation. The management was very good but after the second year the management changed a lot but almost all of them were great.
Pros
Pretty great company and things to learn
Cons
The later mangament
Academic atmosphere working with like-minded faculty and staff.
Graduate Assistant - Literacy Coach (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 20, 2017
Great opportunity to coach undergraduate teacher candidates during their final practicum requirements in various schools in the Omaha Metro Area. Also, networking with building principals and working cooperatively with UNO faculty and classroom mentor teachers.
Bad, bad, bad place
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 13, 2017
One of the worst places I was working.
The management and leadership is disastrous! Benefits are cut without being informed, bonuses are biased, employees are never listened! Before I left I accounted one of the worst situations one can imagine: offices were not cleaned and employees had to bring garbage bags from home and take their garbage to "collection points".
No matter the efforts, if you are not friend with the boss you do not stand a chance! Things are even worst if you are not a man or you are not white! Disguising! Very good people are leaving and leaders don't care! The new administration will drag this place to disaster! Very, very toxic environment! Very sad!
Cons
Bias, toxic environment, racial and gender inequality
Toxic work environment
Admissions Representative, Undergrad admissions (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 14, 2017
There was always promised advancement and rarely any follow though. Worked 55+ hours and paid terrible. Judgement office environment. Don't work here if you want to still be a happy person.
Take a look at UNO
Director (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 13, 2017
UNO is an amazing place to work and has leadership with no egos! They have to work together with the goal of helping students as No. 1 and some other institutions I work at, that is just a saying. At UNO it's true. Sure there's always individual stories of one instance, but overall UNO is terrific. Because it is a public institution, pay will not be sky high, and benefits could be better, but there is much value to working in higher ed. It's more than about turning profit. It's about helping students succeed.
Pros
Sick leave, paid vacation and collaborative leadership
Cons
Transportation options limited if not driving or on specific bus route

Want to know more about University of Nebraska at Omaha?

Ask a question
Loved going to school here, not so much working here
N/A (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 13, 2017
I do enjoy the work I do, however, there is a lack of leadership which causes a vacuum that is filled by unqualified people who do not have the experience or knowledge to lead.
Pros
reduced tuition
Cons
generational gap in staff, no leadership
Productive and a serious environment of work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 23, 2017
It is a great place and people are professional always willing to help. I have learned the importance of working as a team in a collaborative way, as well as developing my individual skills.
Good way to start off getting work experiences
Student Worker Cafeteria (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 22, 2017
The typical day will be working at the student center cafe at your college you attend to study. You will learn how working at a job. The workplace will be meeting other workers and students. The most enjoyable part of the job is it easy and not stressful.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short Break
Fun Learning Environment
Research Aide (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 18, 2017
Each day is different when doing research or research related tasks. Most days we are finding many articles to support our current research projects, receiving further training with SPSS in analyzing data collected, and also conducting structured interviews for focus groups or individuals.
Pros
Learning how to do complex tasks
Cons
No pay
Little planning and horrible hours.
Night-time Package Preparation (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 13, 2017
UNO's night work was atrocious it started at 10p and ended at 6a to avoid conflicting schedules with the store open hours.

There was too much emphasis on employees we started with 17 which was easy then it kept dwindling and the job became longer.

We were compensated with a boost from $10 per hour to $12 but the dwindling number mean't a bigger workload.

Management hired staff (four students) through nepotism despite them moving away in the next three weeks, shortly staff began to not be able to take the seven hour graveyard shift after they began becoming overworked.

Night time manager blamed boxing preparation staff for failure to secure the correct items into the box delivery despite it going through two groups before that (people who took inventory and people who registered and scanned all the books).
Pros
Pay was great
Cons
Poor management and time-based skills
It's fun working at school!
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 11, 2017
Build automated conversational agents called chatbots on messaging platforms like Slack, Facebook Messenger in the process of discovering new and effective ways to engage users to a business/organization.

Worked on IBM Bluemix, api.ai, wit.ai and botpress with Node.js and python.
Pros
Full Tuition fee waiver, good stipend
Cons
no set goals
Very friendly place to work
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 9, 2017
I worked multiple jobs at UNO. The pay is not huge, but you will end up gaining a lot of good experience. You will meet a lot of clueless students like yourself who don't know what to do with their lives. There are also a lot of networking opportunities there.
Pros
Very friendly environment.
Cons
Little pay, not much stability.
Great Place to Work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 26, 2017
UNO is a great place to work. Faculty and students are amazing and truly care about higher education. Any time I was unsure of different computer systems there was always someone ready to help.
I'm happier unemployed than I was working here
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 29, 2017
There are so many things I could say, but I will keep my list short. The fundamental problem that I've seen (and colleagues in other departments have confirmed) is that UNO has a weak leadership structure. No one is willing to make difficult or unpopular decisions, even when it means that there are glaring inequities in workloads, or an entire program is being grossly mismanaged with no accountability anywhere. Combine that with mission creep (trying to switch from a teaching-oriented school to a research-oriented school), and you have a recipe for disaster. I've never regretted anything like I regret accepting my previous job. I'm finally starting to recover after being out of there for a few years.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
I hated my entire life and regretted taking the job with every fiber of my being
Work, Fun,Health,Culture
Role-Developer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 26, 2017
My first day in this project was exciting and got chance chance to explore many things. Management was good in organizing activities.
The best part is UNO has good library and labs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Nebraska at Omaha. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8